MI MI - Julia Niswender, 23, EMU student, Ypsilanti, 10 Dec 2012 - #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ments-reveal-why-focus-is-on-stepdad/35069714

In this news report they seem to think that Julia was interracial dating.

I wonder when someone will post a copy of the Search Warrant and Affidavit online...either intact or redacted. Does anyone know if they are going to do this??
Thanks!

Shawn: THEY CONTINUE TO FOCUS ON HIM AS A PERSON OF INTEREST BASED ON INFORMATION FROM SOME FAMILY MEMBERS WHO BELIEVE HE SEXUALLY ABUSED HER AS A CHILD. HE WAS ALLEGEDLY ANGRY ABOUT HER INTERRACIAL DATING, AND HE IS A MARTIAL ARTS BLACK BELT AND BELIEVES HE COULD EASILY OVERPOWER HER, FOUND FACEDOWN IN THE BATHTUB, YOGA PANTS CUT OFF OF HER. SIGNS OF HER ARMS AND LEGS BOUND.

LE has a lot more information than they release to the public.

I assumed so obviously since the investigation is still ongoing. I just figured someone would chime in and say I was wrong if I didn't word it as a question. [emoji5]️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting twists and turns in this case.

Recovered semen apparently from someone who had a vasectomy. Grandma states JT had a vasectomy but has LE confirmed this through medical records? Did Grandma know about the boyfriend and him having one as well?

If the semen is indeed from a male with a vasectomy, approximately 90% of the male population is eliminated as suspects. It appears that JT is not in that group. Thinking of her age group, one might consider the possibility of her wanting to get married and have children. If a male suitor had the procedure done, she might not want to pursue that relationship after finding out about it.

New twist, JN’s sister claims in a Detroit Free Press post that JN’s boyfriend had a vasectomy. As I recall, no previous public mention that she had a boyfriend at the time of her death. What boyfriend? If I'm recalling correctly she had a date with someone very close to her murder and many didn't know much about him. So who is this boyfriend that had an vasectomy?

According to everything I researched, DNA samples can still be found in the semen of men with vasectomies. If so, there appears to be no DNA match to JT otherwise he would have been already arrested. This is a good point. I wonder is there still information that was not released to the lawyer that LE was not required to put into the documents.

No DNA match to JT from the latex gloves.
Not exactly. There were two male DNA's found. One is not JT and other is too weak for comparison but was deemed to be male DNA. http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2015/09/documents_detail_allegations_a.html#incart_m-rpt-2

Best friend originally testifies that JN confided in her that JT sexually abused her. A few months later she recants her story. Why the sudden reversal? This seems very odd to me. Who is the best friend? The name you mentioned in response to my previous post is interesting.

He passed not one, but two lie detector tests. I know that they’re not conclusive but he still passed two. Has LE ever stated he actually passed or were their words inconclusive? The issue I have with this is, in my opinion, inconclusive means they can't prove he told the truth or lied. I don't put too put weight on this anyway. I have no love for the individual representing JT and my memory of the information he has been involved with the lie detector tests from the start. Enough said there...

As to the FBI Profiler making JT his prime suspect, remember Richard Jewell (96 Olympic bombing). Through the analysis of the FBI profilers, the FBI made him their principal suspect. How did that turn out?

The affidavit only includes the minimal amount of information for a judge to sign off on the search warrant. That being said, I believe LE has other evidence pointing to JT that has not been made public. Things like:

• JT’s and JN’s cell phone records – any calls, texts or emails between the two on Dec 9 and Dec 10

• JT’s cell phone location history – was he in the area of JN’s apartment on Dec 9 and Dec 10? I’m assuming he carried his phone with him at all times since he was running a business. (if you have an android phone, go to www.google.com/locationhistory to see how easy it is). LE works with the cell providers using much more sophisticated methods. What if he turned the phone off during certain hours? Could that be traceable as well?

• Based on cell phone location history, LE probably has a good idea of where he was the days prior to the murder. They want to interview him to get him on record of his activities and whether they match the location data. Basically looking for inconsistencies. This makes a lot of sense, my hope is they have more that we aren't seeing. Because what I have seen so far makes me so heartbroken for Julie.

• There could be damning statements about JT from other friends, roommates and associates of JN. This would be last on my list because there has been very little of these so far and one even flip-flopped. I feel it gets tricky here because there are very few vocal opponents against him. I keep this under what else do they have that we are not aware of yet.

• LE has a more accurate timeline of JN last hours than what is publicly released. Could any time information be extracted from her phone since it was submerged under water? (like a watch stopping) Would the water disable the phone to the point it stopped working and pinging the nearest cell tower to determine the time it went offline (time of murder). Her phone in the water made me think of the camera in the washer. They were still able to retrieve the photos from the camera. Could this also be the case for the phone and if not, could the data be provided by the cell provider?

Excellent post, caspermi. You asked some of same questions I have been wondering. I couldn't help but think about Julie yesterday after reading the latest. Felt like I stumbled trying to post my thoughts and questions immediately after reading it as I was so stunned. It always felt like to me the story presented about her murder that it was swift and clean. It wasn't at all like that.

Why would this step-father do this to his step-daughter?

One spot in this article stood out to me. http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2015/09/01/police-vasectomy-fbi-profiler-points-stepdad/71507420/

Kim Turnquist said they slept in the same bed together "most nights" and were together the night that police believe Niswender died.

Where did he sleep those other nights?

I'm not 100% convinced JT is guilty even though the recent information has pushed the scale against him some. Just not fully convinced yet. If JT is not guilty then he simply needs to talk to LE and clear it up. The hold-up or refusal is what I don't understand. Why won't he talk?

Who is the lawyer for JT regarding Julie's death or would he need one at this point?

I still can't get over some of those details. My eyes glazed over at some point shocked as I read those articles. Left me with more questions and filled with sadness for Julie and her family/friends. She didn't deserve that.

Makes me wonder again...Why would JT do this to Julie? What boyfriend? Where's the rug? Where's her missing items? Who cleaned out her apartment? But mostly....why was she killed?

Excellent posts, caspermi #515, and ModMaiden #523 !!!

quote snipped by me

Why would the child *advertiser censored* case be thrown out, since the warrant was not made for that purpose, but to gain evidence for the murder investigation? I believe it is allowed to request a search of computers if there is a reason to suspect information may be there that would assist in the investigation. Such as work records indicating Julia worked for JT, phone calls between Julia and family members, use of the family computer by Julia and/or other family. Seems to me there is probable cause.... not for *advertiser censored*, but for the death. When they discovered possible child *advertiser censored*, that information was turned over to Monroe, and the *advertiser censored* investigation has been handled by them. Two different cases, so why toss the current trial for a warrant delivered on a different case?

Trying to understand, but a lawyer I am not. So much to sift through.

In order for the disputed images to be allowed as evidence in the *advertiser censored* trial, the images must have been obtained legally. This means that the Ypsilanti department must have had a legal right to search the computer. Of course, the DID have a search warrant. But if the affidavit on which the search warrant was based is severely flawed, the judge might decided that the warrant wasn't legal and the evidence cannot be used in any trial. So the question is, whether the Ypsilanti police had a reasonable suspicion that JT was involved in his daughter's death to justify the search warrant. If not, then the images are not admissible, and without that evidence, there really isn't any case.

This is just my understanding of the situation. People in the legal profession should correct me if I am wrong.

I was curious about the bruising or spots around Julia's one elbow so I looked up martial arts moves and there were some interesting things out there. Especially regarding pressure points on the elbow. I cannot link from my phone so I wondered if anyone else looked into this.

I was curious about the bruising or spots around Julia's one elbow so I looked up martial arts moves and there were some interesting things out there. Especially regarding pressure points on the elbow. I cannot link from my phone so I wondered if anyone else looked into this.

I think a person may have grabbed her arms from behind in order to put on constraints on her arms. Or perhaps he grabbed her arms while moving her possibly unconscious body. Martial arts may have been used, but the crime scene suggests that more straightforward methods were used by the perpetrator by tying or constraining her hand and feet.

Julia does not seem like a pushover. A 5'5 guy may not have been able to overpower her easily. Perhaps JT could have done it, but so are many other people. Some of the people Julia dated were tall athletes. She would not have been a match for a (nearly) pro football player, for example.

Did it say how long before it rendered the person useless? Could some of that bruising be from a struggle when she realized the danger she was in?

I think a person may have grabbed her arms from behind in order to put on constraints on her arms. Or perhaps he grabbed her arms while moving her possibly unconscious body. Martial arts may have been used, but the crime scene suggests that more straightforward methods were used by the perpetrator by tying or constraining her hand and feet.

Julia does not seem like a pushover. A 5'5 guy may not have been able to overpower her easily. Perhaps JT could have done it, but so are many other people. Some of the people Julia dated were tall athletes. She would not have been a match for a (nearly) pro football player, for example.

I agree. They had to get control of her first to bind the legs and arms. georgiasblu might have a point on the bruising as the original location of contact to get the control. She could have turned her back to get the person something who stopped by unexpectedly under the ruse they needed to borrow or pick up something. She knew the person so let them inside. Once inside with the door closed she is unaware of the danger or afraid of the person, turns her back but is grabbed by that arm the moment the killer sees the opportunity. She could have struggled to break free but the applied pressure rendered her powerless.

I feel she was taken down quickly and quietly because they knew they had to. She would have shook that building yelling for help, fought like a wildcat if she had gotten the upper hand and/or even tried to get out of room if given any opportunity to do so. How long the killer was in the room I don't know though after the person had her under their control, they could take their time. It's that initial first contact of the attack that might have been a concern so being quick, precise and quiet would be necessary. Just my thoughts and none is fact.

First thought was how many of them had an vasectomy. If that test result is correct it will shorten that list right down. His upcoming trial should be interesting since the release of these documents and seeing if they will be allowed or not allowed.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ments-reveal-why-focus-is-on-stepdad/35069714

In this news report they seem to think that Julia was interracial dating.

I wonder when someone will post a copy of the Search Warrant and Affidavit online...either intact or redacted. Does anyone know if they are going to do this??

I have heard that the document presented to the Monroe County Circuit Court is 12 pages. A copy is $1 per page and you must get all pages from Ypsi. Someone said you'd have to go to Ypsilanti and complete a Freedom of Information request. Where in Ypsi??? I have not been told exactly where. Possibly the Ypsi Police Dept or the County Courthouse. The Monroe County Court does not have copies to be released - possibly since the documents came from Washenaw County. That's the best I can tell you right now.

I think the gloves are a major clue, even though it may have been planted there. What type of latex glove are these. Are these common gloves used for cleaning etc. that you can buy everywhere. Do they match the gloves that the POI or his coworkers use for cleaning. It would be good to compare the DNA with that of the POI's coworkers (if they agree to do this).
The gloves could also come from a medical facility. These gloves are somewhat different from regular latex gloves. It was said that the gloves were intertwined. If the gloves were used by a medical professional, the gloves would be intertwined in a very special way. Or more precisely
one glove would be entirely contained in the other (see howTo videos on youtube).
[video=youtube;b9ytnyIq9xE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9ytnyIq9xE[/video]
In the description it seems that one glove wasn't completely contained in the other. In that case, the gloves were probably not used
by a medical professional.

The way the gloves were taken off, might reveal whether the person is left- or right handed but I am not sure.

edit: there may be more than one way to properly take of surgical gloves leading to them intertwined in various ways. But in any case it won't be arbitrary. The person taking of the gloves has to take the utmost care not to infect him/herself.

Black Squirrel, could you please tell me where you have located information regarding Julia dating big, tall athletes? Thanks so much. I don't remember Trojan mentioning that.

Black Squirrel, could you please tell me where you have located information regarding Julia dating big, tall athletes? Thanks so much. I don't remember Trojan mentioning that.

She posted a picture on April 12, 2012 on her twitter of her and MK going out. He is a black 6'7'', 300lbs football player.

A while ago I found some other tweets of Julia that were from a different account that may have been deleted. In one tweet she stated her preference for tall guys. In other tweets she was urging some guy to come over. This was a white basketball player. I do believe that there are other athletes that she has dated.

She posted a picture on April 12, 2012 on her twitter of her and MK going out. He is a black 6'7'', 300lbs football player.

A while ago I found some other tweets of Julia that were from a different account that may have been deleted. In one tweet she stated her preference for tall guys. In other tweets she was urging some guy to come over. This was a white basketball player. I do believe that there are other athletes that she has dated.

On Nov 2, 2011 she tweeted about #10thingsifindattractive
What she finds attractive is: tall, cute , funny, honest, and knowing how to treat a woman.

On Nov 6, 2011 she tweets that if a man is shorter than her, than, forget it. The taller, the better.

[paraphrasing here to comply with TOS]
The basketball player I was talking about is MB. He is 6'10'' and 285lbs according to EMU stats.

I think the gloves are a major clue, even though it may have been planted there. What type of latex glove are these. Are these common gloves used for cleaning etc. that you can buy everywhere. Do they match the gloves that the POI or his coworkers use for cleaning. It would be good to compare the DNA with that of the POI's coworkers (if they agree to do this).
The gloves could also come from a medical facility. These gloves are somewhat different from regular latex gloves. It was said that the gloves were intertwined. If the gloves were used by a medical professional, the gloves would be intertwined in a very special way. Or more precisely
one glove would be entirely contained in the other (see howTo videos on youtube).
[video=youtube;b9ytnyIq9xE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9ytnyIq9xE[/video]
In the description it seems that one glove wasn't completely contained in the other. In that case, the gloves were probably not used
by a medical professional.

The way the gloves were taken off, might reveal whether the person is left- or right handed but I am not sure.

edit: there may be more than one way to properly take of surgical gloves leading to them intertwined in various ways. But in any case it won't be arbitrary. The person taking of the gloves has to take the utmost care not to infect him/herself.

Were the gloves use by the pert. or planted? I wondered if the gloves were used in JT's cleaning business. Did any of JT's cleaning clients see JT or other workers in gloves when cleaning? I use glove like this for dying my hair. I purchase them at a local beauty supply store. They are so common. My dental office uses this type of glove too. A possible theory, I wonder if JT or someone else from the cleaning business, went to pick up Julia to help clean, and the said event happened Monday morning. Someone could have the gloves on them for cleaning. As you mentioned earlier, the bathtub could have been filled with cold water to slow decomposition. I'm not sure how this works and how cold the water would have to be for slowing to occur.

It was mentioned in the Mlive article at the time of police meeting with the family at Julia's apartment, I assuming Tuesday evening, that JT told LE he had investigative experience from working with the sheriff's department. Which type of cases did he work on. Was it through the cleaning business that he worked with the sheriff's office? Cleaning up a crime scene? Was it ever said which department JT worked with and what his job title was? Was he ever a cop? Does he have a past in law enforcement. Was he ever in the military?

Were the gloves use by the pert. or planted? I wondered if the gloves were used in JT's cleaning business. Did any of JT's cleaning clients see JT or other workers in gloves when cleaning? I use glove like this for dying my hair. I purchase them at a local beauty supply store. They are so common. My dental office uses this type of glove too. A possible theory, I wonder if JT or someone else from the cleaning business, went to pick up Julia to help clean, and the said event happened Monday morning. Someone could have the gloves on them for cleaning. As you mentioned earlier, the bathtub could have been filled with cold water to slow decomposition. I'm not sure how this works and how cold the water would have to be for slowing to occur.

It was mentioned in the Mlive article at the time of police meeting with the family at Julia's apartment, I assuming Tuesday evening, that JT told LE he had investigative experience from working with the sheriff's department. Which type of cases did he work on. Was it through the cleaning business that he worked with the sheriff's office? Cleaning up a crime scene? Was it ever said which department JT worked with and what his job title was? Was he ever a cop? Does he have a past in law enforcement. Was he ever in the military?
Very good post and questions. Thank you!

The MO in Julia's murder seems to be very similar to the following rapist case:
http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/ill...-pelo-doubled-serial-rapist/story?id=11497530

First Victim
Mills said the intruder told her he was there to burglarize her, and that he didn't want to hurt her, but if she made noise, he would shoot her.
Wearing a ski mask and gloves, he seemed oddly calm and methodical as he bound her with zip ties and duct tape, she said. Then he slipped a pillowcase over her head and sexually assaulted Mills for 45 minutes.
Still blindfolded, he forced her into the bathroom where she heard water running.
Mills was forced to take a long bath and told to wash carefully, while her rapist calmly walked about her apartment cleaning up after himself.
Then he was gone, taking with him all the evidence, including the bed sheets.

Second Victim
He made it clear he had been stalking her, and he threatened her loved ones. "He knew everything about me," she said. "What my sister looks like to what car my [finance] drove, my work schedule. He knew where I worked out. Pretty much everything."

The intruder sexually assaulted and attacked Kalmes-Gliege for almost three hours. As with Mills, he was careful. He bound her hands and covered her head with a pillowcase.
Before leaving, as he had with Mills and his other victims, the attacker forced Kalmes-Gliege into the bathroom for a long soak to wash away the evidence.
He left her alone, shaking in her tub and waiting hours until sunrise to flee.

The gloves are a bit interesting...2 males DNA found - one was useable for testing and other was not. Were they simply planted there to throw off the investigators and the weak DNA was the actual killer's? Was his DNA weak because of how he handled them and placed the gloves? Could these have been discarded by someone then picked up by the killer? Perhaps a scenario where the gloves were handed to another man to hold real quick then they were told to go ahead and put them onto a surface that the killer picked up without touching the gloves. Once out of sight from the man who touched the gloves, they were placed into another container until needed. That is some shrewd planning there and shows premeditated. Just some of my thoughts about the gloves.

Still curious as who cleaned up her apartment. Was the pillowcase noticed missing because of the uncovered pillow or was there something about that particular pillowcase? Is there anything else the detectives noticed from the photos aside from the rug that was missed being collected as evidence?

A few differences I see in your post #538, black_squirrel, is he didn't kill them and had them wash away his evidence.

At what point did the investigators turn their attention to JT? After the FBI profiler told them or was he on their radar much sooner? When they weren't looking at JT was there anyone else they considered a possible POI or suspect?

From a resume found online, his experience was as a volunteer "marine officer":

SBM, BBM:

under Honors and Activities:
For three years I was a Monroe County Deputy Reserve and Marine Officer. The Reserve Program is a Volunteer Program. As a marine officer I patrolled the waters of Lake Erie enforcing all water related laws

http://www.postjobfree.com/resume/pwffau/medical-assistant-cleaning-part-monroe-mi-48161

Still curious as who cleaned up her apartment. Was the pillowcase noticed missing because of the uncovered pillow or was there something about that particular pillowcase? Is there anything else the detectives noticed from the photos aside from the rug that was missed being collected as evidence?

SBM:
I would assume after Julia's possessions were removed by family, the apartment complex used the cleaning services they always hired... whether on-site workers or an outside agency, I don't know.

Did the roommates move out immediately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member