MI MI - Julia Niswender, 23, EMU student, Ypsilanti, 10 Dec 2012 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. No evidence of.

Citation? The only thing I've seen was a quote from Jennifer saying that the family was told there was no evidence of a sexual assault.

Please and thank you :)

Originally Posted by Forager
Yes. No evidence of [sexual assault on Julia].

Citation? The only thing I've seen was a quote from Jennifer saying that the family was told there was no evidence of a sexual assault.

You may be right about that resting mainly on Jennifer Niswender's say so.

Here's the detail I've been able to find quickly, searching in the early threads:

Jennifer said police have told the family there were no signs that a "sexual assault or struggle" took place.
"That's what they said right from the beginning," Jennifer said... .

[Ypsilanti police Chief] Walker declined to provide additional details about the case, including whether Julia may have known the individual responsible for her death.

"I can't get into any of that," Walker said. "These detectives have a difficult case and have been working vigorously. It's not a clear-cut case.There's some sensitive information. ...The fact that the family is going public, I can't control it."

From the Ann Arbor News, K.Stafford, Tue, Apr 9, 2013 : 9:30 p.m.:
http://www.annarbor.com/news/ypsila...-confirms-julia-niswender-drowned-in-bathtub/
-------------------------------

Per verified family member Trojan1966:

As far as I know or have read, there was no signs of sex but nothing to say that it may have been the reason and someone went way too far. The strangulation caused her to go unconscious after which she was put in the tub. Whoever did this, must have been very good at it as the Julia I knew would have put up a heck of a fight. Evidently there were no signs of a struggle which really surprised me when I heard that.

The above from this post of Trojan's: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-Ypsilanti-Dec-2012-2&p=11629898#post11629898

I'll see if I can find more. I think there's also some MSM reporting on the absence of signs of physical trauma. Not quite the same thing, I'll grant, but part of the picture.

You may be right about that resting mainly on Jennifer Niswender's say so.

Here's the detail I've been able to find quickly, searching in the early threads:

Jennifer said police have told the family there were no signs that a "sexual assault or struggle" took place.
"That's what they said right from the beginning," Jennifer said... .

[Ypsilanti police Chief] Walker declined to provide additional details about the case, including whether Julia may have known the individual responsible for her death.

"I can't get into any of that," Walker said. "These detectives have a difficult case and have been working vigorously. It's not a clear-cut case.There's some sensitive information. ...The fact that the family is going public, I can't control it."

From the Ann Arbor News, K.Stafford, Tue, Apr 9, 2013 : 9:30 p.m.:
http://www.annarbor.com/news/ypsila...-confirms-julia-niswender-drowned-in-bathtub/
-------------------------------

Per verified family member Trojan1966:

As far as I know or have read, there was no signs of sex but nothing to say that it may have been the reason and someone went way too far. The strangulation caused her to go unconscious after which she was put in the tub. Whoever did this, must have been very good at it as the Julia I knew would have put up a heck of a fight. Evidently there were no signs of a struggle which really surprised me when I heard that.

The above from this post of Trojan's: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-Ypsilanti-Dec-2012-2&p=11629898#post11629898

I'll see if I can find more. I think there's also some MSM reporting on the absence of physical, signs of trauma. Not quite the same thing, I'll grant, but part of the picture.

Good team work, keeping everybody on their toes. Thank you both for this.

This is the only article I can find that indicates this may have come from LE. All other articles seem to say the statement came from the family.

"Investigators said there were no signs that a “sexual assault or struggle” took place. .

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/11/14/who-killed-emu-student-julia-niswender-police-still-seeking-tips/

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2015/01/eastern_michigan_university_at_4.html

Burdette is accused of sexually assaulting a woman and preventing her from leaving her Peninsular Place apartment, located at 1000 N. Huron River Drive in Ypsilanti last November.

I don't recall hearing about this case. Seems like it could be relevant.

I don't remember this one, either. Here is an updated article, states he was a sophomore at the time.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/27404597/eastern-michigan-athlete-charged-with-three-sex-crimes

I'm still fixated on this creepy building next door to Julia's apartment:

http://www.earth-scout.com/google-street-view.php?q=884 Railroad Street, ypsilanti, mi

If you move around the building a bit, you will see a "for lease" sign. Not sure how long ago that was taken, or still up for lease. I checked the address, and it said the business is "Professional Services". Everything else down the road is very industrial.

Anyone know anything about this business, and when they opted to move? The proximity to the apartment has me alerting on this, as well as the "for lease". Of course that photo could have been taken anytime, but it's niggling at me.

BTW dmc43613, those darn railroad tracks again!

I wonder if the roommates have been questioned about drugs. I can image that the one that was caught by Julia would not want to answer any questions about drug use etc., because those might incriminate her. If there were drugs in the apartment at some time, it would be important to know who delivered it etc.

I have seen a few interviews where the detective investigating a murder came right out and told the person they were interviewing that they were not concerned about any drug use, they were concerned about solving the murder.

Casey Anthony case comes to mind, when Yuri Melich was interviewing her boyfriend & his friends. Yuri stated he wasn't concerned about marijuana or pills, he was just trying to find Caylee.

We don't know what Ypsilanti PD said or didn't say to anyone they were interviewing, hopefully they stated they were only concerned with solving Julia's murder.

As an FYI, here are the crime stats for Michigan Universities in 2012. I note they don't have Julia's murder noted for EMU, so take this report as "directional" vs. accurate:
http://www.emich.edu/police/documents/michigan-public-universities-crime-stats-2012.pdf

With regard to the roomie who allegedly used drugs. *Yes*, I have held her in high suspicion, but have moved on since LE apparently poly'ed, questioned, and cleared her? I'm still interested in knowing if Julia was dressed in a manner that would suggest she was expecting to be alone for the night, or was she gussied up which suggests she was expecting a visitor? Knowing this (if possible), would help focus the analysis.

Julia wasn't murdered on the EMU campus, her apartment was across the street off campus, that is why it isn't listed.

TigerBalm,

Unless I'm reading it wrong, it appears there is a category called "non campus buildings". I would think that would mean off campus student housing? If so, they have a zero indicated there, where we know there should be a "1". : (

But overall, looking at the stats I was surprised that they were as good as they are. I expected higher nums. As everyone has been saying, the most likely (by a significant percentage), is that this was a known person...an acquaintance. I was also quite surprised that of all the crimes combined, not just murder, that female perps represented approximately 25% of the offenders. For some reason, I am surprised by that, but perhaps shouldn't be. Still digging in to the nums and thinking how to apply these stats to Julia's scenario.

One thing that stands out for me as I look at the statistics....this murder is statistically unique for that setting, unusual. Not random. Targeted and personal. All speculation, of course. Still digging in to this.

TigerBalm,

Unless I'm reading it wrong, it appears there is a category called "non campus buildings". I would think that would mean off campus student housing? If so, they have a zero indicated there, where we know there should be a "1". : (

But overall, looking at the stats I was surprised that they were as good as they are. I expected higher nums. As everyone has been saying, the most likely (by a significant percentage), is that this was a known person...an acquaintance. I was also quite surprised that of all the crimes combined, not just murder, that female perps represented approximately 25% of the offenders. For some reason, I am surprised by that, but perhaps shouldn't be. Still digging in to the nums and thinking how to apply these stats to Julia's scenario.

One thing that stands out for me as I look at the statistics....this murder is statistically unique for that setting, unusual. Not random. Targeted and personal. All speculation, of course. Still digging in to this.

Those apartments are not student housing. Anyone can live there.

I want to revisit the date Julia had the Saturday night before she was murdered. He has been cleared by LE, so I'm not revisiting from that perspective. I'm interested in understanding why Julia didn't share this date info with her twin when they had lunch that Saturday. From what has been characterized, that is very unusual. Why?

How was it discovered she had a date that night? Did he come forward, or had Julia finally told her twin when they were texting back and forth that fateful Sunday night when she was murdered?

What was it about this guy (and I know we speculated this upthread), that made Julia not want to talk about him/her date with him? Was there something about him that her family would have "disapproved" of?

I'm still fixated on this creepy building next door to Julia's apartment:

http://www.earth-scout.com/google-street-view.php?q=884 Railroad Street, ypsilanti, mi

If you move around the building a bit, you will see a "for lease" sign. Not sure how long ago that was taken, or still up for lease. I checked the address, and it said the business is "Professional Services". Everything else down the road is very industrial.

Anyone know anything about this business, and when they opted to move? The proximity to the apartment has me alerting on this, as well as the "for lease". Of course that photo could have been taken anytime, but it's niggling at me.

BTW dmc43613, those darn railroad tracks again!

This one, marked as VG Kids? Interesting there's a towing truck from Milan parked there too, a printing place in back, two Suite address for the location. The recycle seems to have box fans, not sure what the other boxes are for. There seems to be a camera or/and or sat dish on the roof. There's a number and name on the lease sign too. Yes, it does compell some fixation.

View attachment 75649

Sign Outside.jpg

Tow Truck.jpg

Printers.jpg

Recycle.png

No, that's another creepy building further down the road. That railroad street is full of creepy buildings! The building I am referring to is immediately next door to Peninsular. (884 Railroad Street) It should be noted all these buildings are smack dab right up against the railroad tracks...just a few feet away it appears.

TigerBalm,

RBBM

Yes.

No, that's another creepy building further down the road. That railroad street is full of creepy buildings! The building I am referring to is immediately next door to Peninsular. (884 Railroad Street) It should be noted all these buildings are smack dab right up against the railroad tracks...just a few feet away it appears.

That is 884

Screenshot 2015-05-31 at 11.05.02 PM.jpg

O.K., yes. That's the one. (Shivers....)
Professional services? Odd building for professional services right in the middle of an industrial zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skelyatr