MI MI - Julia Niswender, 23, EMU student, Ypsilanti, 10 Dec 2012 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Roses, I strongly believe Collins is guilty. That was a rough time around here, I went to school with an older sister of Maralynn, but was not close to her. I know a few people who knew Collins, occasionally ran into him socially, but did not hang out together.

This is the first time I recall learning of Alicia Digna. I may look further into this one. Thanks

I've taken a rather quick look over everything regarding this case, (haven't read all 49 pages of this thread tho, just some). If I say something that has already been said, I apologize.

I also have a question: What about her devices, laptop/pc, etc? Was anything taken from the crime scene? (I know the phone was)

I don't think her dad is guilty. Sure, he is a deranged individual but, as the warrant and the people who know him state, he's calm and attentive to his environment. A guy like that doesn't do crazy stuff like this, he would know it would raise suspicions and everything. Also, he can't be the perp since no signs of struggle were found on her body (if I remember correctly). If she was used to him abusing her, she would probably just let it happen and then maybe tell police or something, but when things went too far as in her getting killed, she would've struggled no matter how used she was to it. This brings me to my theory (so far, again, maybe I'm missing details).

Here are the points I base my theory off:
-no forced entry
-no apparent struggle
-no screams
-restraints (that tied her hands)
-highly sexual and possibly into heavy BDSM (Julia) given her history
-college student with a history of being abused

As Tinder was just launched (Sept 2012) and booming with horny people looking to hook-up nearby, or anything similar like Craigslist, you get the idea, a platform where people with similar tastes in bed can meet and know each other. It is very likely that someone in that campus, or around it was a sexual predator on one of these platforms, woo'd her on DMs, he came over (no forced entry), they went on to their business (no apparent struggle, it was consensual), it probably involved ropes or some sort of restraint (hence marks on her wrist). Dude restrained her in what seemed to be a normal act of kink, strangled her (no screaming when you can't breathe) but only to the point where she lost consciousness, filled the bathtub, drowned her, left her there, deleted all evidence of their talks from her phone, threw it in the water so it malfunctions, went out of the apartment with ease because first of all, it was a dorm, people are coming and going all the time in those places. Secondly, if she was so sexually "promiscuous", men coming in and out of her apartment wouldn't have been a worrying sight for anyone.

The cut on the lip could be lip biting (she bit herself probably during the act) or one of her teeth pressed against the lip as he was suffocating her, the tongue wound could be accidental or as a consequence of the strangling. The glove can be explained by the guy wearing 2 sets of gloves, enough for some sweat or fingertip grease to slip through the first set but not enough to deposit a proper amount inside the second set and yes, I believe he left it there to confuse everyone. If there were more similar cases in the area even in the surrounding states, it could be the same guy.

I'm still processing the case (I'll re-read it tomorrow when i have time, and try to find a way to narrow down some category of suspects).

Last edited:
My first post on this thread was in parts misinformed as I did not fully read the warrants so I will delete it if I can figure out how lol. But, after reading itthe again and based on the evidence and the lack of I am pretty confident that this is what happened

Theory:
Julia met someone online on a dating/hook-up platform as Tinder just launched in September 2012 (could be any other as well) and he came over. He spent the night after intercourse, and as she was sleeping, the man took advantage of Julia having her guard down, suffocated her to the point where she lost consciousness, placed her face down in the bathtub while she was still restrained and she drowned. The perp deleted any evidence from her phone (which adds to the possiblity of them meeting on Tinder as it is a mobile app), took her keys and left the apartment.

I will list below key points from the warrant and how they confirm my theory:

Section G. home invasion look of the room and pillow case missing but her valuables not

Explanation: after the murder, the perp trashed the room in an attempt to make the scene look like a home invasion, getting rid of any possible evidence and a momento to remember the night (sometimes they do that). I will explain the latex gloves in a following paragraph.

Section H: Julia had a shirt on, cut to expose her chest, sleeve only on her right arm (I'm asuming her left arm was out of the shirt), ligature marks on wrists and ankles

Explanation: After intercourse, the perp stayed in the apartment for a while and waited for Julia to fall asleep. It was winter so she was sleeping dressed in the said shirt and pants. Got on top of her (she was sleeping on her right side), tried to rape her, started by cutting the pants around the crotch area (most likely) then her shirt, attempted to tie her limbs all together (so she won't be able to struggle) but while doing so, she woke up, managed to pull her left hand out, he pressed her face against the pillow (she bit her tongue in the process as she was probably trying to scream) and lost consciousness. After suffocating her, the perp moved her into the bathtub, cut out her pants completely hoping that the water would wash any seminal fluid. He was wearing two sets of rubber gloves to make sure that his DNA does not remain there, after she bit her tongue and bled over the pillow case, the first set of gloves got dirty so he removed them and later probably fell out or his pocket while he was searching the purse that was on the floor. He then tried to unlock the phone (or actually managed to and deleted all conversations), then he just placed it in the bathtub with her hoping the water will render it useless. He then took her keys and left the apartment.

Section M: ligature marks on ankles and left wrist (especially)

This makes sense if she was sleeping on her right side, managing only to pull out her left arm, he restrained that and her 2 ankles together at first, after the asphyxiation he added the right hand too.

An important note:
The proof that she was unconscious or probably even dead before she got moved to the bathtub is simply because there was no signifcant amount of blood and water in the bathroom walls and floor, the rug was not wet either, therefore no struggle happened in the bathtub.

@rosesfromangels please allow me to message you, so I can actively work on this with someone that has more in depth knowledge about this case :)

Pepin,
Thank you! Really appreciate your fresh set of eyes. You are welcome to PM me, and feel free to post here as well. We have some great WSers on this thread who have been contributing for years. We also have a verified insider, Julia’s grandfather on here as well.

I need to thoughtfully ponder your post before I comment; you did a lot of work on this, thank you so much!

One thing stands out to me; the technology. The Perp tried to “drown/kill” the phone. Of course all the data remains in the cloud in perpetuity. Thus, the assertion this was a tinder-like hookup leaves me scratching my head. I would think that would have been ascertained by now, but I shouldn’t assume that!
I will tell you that you are the second person I asked to review the case that believes that. The other individual suggested webcam as the connection.

Thank you again Pepin!
More to follow.

Roses

Pepin,
Thank you! Really appreciate your fresh set of eyes. You are welcome to PM me, and feel free to post here as well. We have some great WSers on this thread who have been contributing for years. We also have a verified insider, Julia’s grandfather on here as well.

I need to thoughtfully ponder your post before I comment; you did a lot of work on this, thank you so much!

One thing stands out to me; the technology. The Perp tried to “drown/kill” the phone. Of course all the data remains in the cloud in perpetuity. Thus, the assertion this was a tinder-like hookup leaves me scratching my head. I would think that would have been ascertained by now, but I shouldn’t assume that!
I will tell you that you are the second person I asked to review the case that believes that. The other individual suggested webcam as the connection.

Thank you again Pepin!
More to follow.

Roses
Idk how to pm you, your profile is restricted, pm me and i'll reply asap

This is a fascinating poll taken by Iowa cold cases. The founder, Jody, asked people why they don't report information anonymously that could solve homicides. The answers:

Somebody Knows Something | Iowa Cold Cases

We need to make anonymous reporting easier and make people feel more secure about sharing information that can help those suffering and at risk.

First-time poster in this case, but long-time follower of it. I sporadically check and see if there has been a break in the case, and am heartbroken every time I see that there isn't yet. I pray that justice will be served one day soon.

Goad to have you, DoABarrelRoll! Are you local to this case?

It is heartbreaking to not have answers still. I just hope LE has not slowed down investigating and that they have info we have not learned about.

This morning on the Justice for Julia Facebook Page:
"Received an update on Julia's case yesterday. They are still actively working on it. We can not comment about update, please understand. I know it's hard and it's going on 6 yrs next month but we have to patient. What we can do is never forget Julia and her beautiful smile, her laugh and cherish every memory we have with her. I know she is in heaven watching over everyone she loves. Please keep us all in your prayers!!"

Hi All, My family had a meeting with thee Chief of Police for Ypsilanti. Nothing really "new" was given to them. LE says this is still an active case and is being actively investigated. People present for the meeting were: Julia's mother, her two sisters, her aunt, her uncle and her grandmother. I did not attend the meeting but will be traveling to Michigan for the sixth candlelight vigil for Julia. I pray for this to be solved each and every night. Periodically I will post on here to let everyone know what is happening. Any viable theories are passed on to LE but their attitude lately has been to basically let them do their job. Justice for Julia is all I pray for and want.

First-time poster in this case, but long-time follower of it. I sporadically check and see if there has been a break in the case, and am heartbroken every time I see that there isn't yet. I pray that justice will be served one day soon.

Same here, exactly.

I can not even believe it has been 6 years... the waves of Julia's death have rippled far and wide, touching so many people in so many ways. When I think of Julia, I am simply reminded to be gentle and kind to others.

Great to hear from Trojan1966, thank you for the update and for checking in.

May everyone have a calm holiday with wonderful memories shared and celebrated.

I am so happy to hear that Julia’s mother and twin are meeting with law enforcement.

I have always believed through continuous and routine interviews, some seemingly insignificant tidbit may very well lead to an arrest.

They are SO important to this case being solved. Very happy to hear they met with LE, and pray they will continue to allow themselves to be questioned on an ongoing basis. I’m sure it’s unbearably painful, but so important.

Prayers for their strength to press on to justice!

Amateur opinion and speculation

And tomorrow it will be 6 years since Julia was murdered.
A quick post to encourage everyone not to give up! There will be an arrest in this case.
Every day we see yet another cold case solved with advanced DNA technology. Julia's case will be the same.

Additionally, I am in awe and full of gratitude for the Ypsilanti PD and supporting agencies who have not given up on Julia either. They have a thankless and difficult job of persisting when all hope seems lost, and the public is frustrated. But these are our heroes. These are the relentless human blood hounds who track these vicious Perps through use of police science, technology and their God given talents. What they contribute can never be repaid.

Finally, to Julia's family - lock arms and stand strong! This has been a long journey, but the road to Justice does have a destination! Your Julia WILL have her day of Justice, and so will your family.

God Bless!

6 years...
Julia, I hope you know that nobody is giving up! Your killer(s) WILL be found. It's just a matter of time.
My prayers to her family on this very difficult day. I hope it does some good to know that so many of us have been touched by Julia's beautiful light.

Having invested a lot in trying to solve this case, it saddens me that the 6 year mark has come to pass.

I personally believe I did all I could but in the end, it is the family that has to come together and bring justice for Julia, even if the truth is very hard to handle.

I wish they find strength to do what is right.

Edit: Not useful but interesting to point out that this year (2018), the dates coincide with the dates in 2012, sunday 9 - tuesday 11. It is a coincidence that will not happen again until 2029.

Last edited:
Having invested a lot in trying to solve this case, it saddens me that the 6 year mark has come to pass.

I personally believe I did all I could but in the end, it is the family that has to come together and bring justice for Julia, even if the truth is very hard to handle.

I wish they find strength to do what is right.

Edit: Not useful but interesting to point out that this year (2018), the dates coincide with the dates in 2012, sunday 9 - tuesday 11. It is a coincidence that will not happen again until 2029.
Pepin,
Thank you so much for all the incredible research. Just sit back and wait for the lab results. Justice is coming. Thank you.

I'd like to thank everyone on this thread for all the hard work, possible theories and support to us, Julia's family. I firmly believe that this case will be solved and it will be through forensic science. Each and every day, advancements are being made in this science and one day in the future, this will lead to our answer. Thanks again everyone and I'd like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year. Hopefully 2019 will be the year that this case is solved. Justice for Julia is what we pray for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay