Found Deceased MI - Venus Stewart, 32, Colon, 28 April 2010 - # 2 *D. Stewart guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2010/04/michigan_state_police_remain_h.html

Snipped:

Court records also show that Douglas Stewart filed for divorce from his wife in September 2007 and again in July 2008, but both divorce petitions were eventually dismissed.

Ok....dismissed by who? Anybody know what this means? Does it mean DS dropped it? Does it mean the courts would not grant the divorces for some reason?
I'd like to know what that means also. I'm thinking it would be that he dropped it as I can't see why the courts wouldn't grant the divorce. It's interesting though that he initiated two petitions which seems contrary to him being like so many other abusive spouses who kill the wife because she left him. It also seems unless he'd drastically changed in the past couple of years that he wouldn't care if she left or not, except maybe for her taking the kids. So that seems contradictory to her fleeing with only the clothes on her back out of fear, unless it was because of the kids. I'm confused! :waitasec: MOO

I'd like to know what that means also. I'm thinking it would be that he dropped it as I can't see why the courts wouldn't grant the divorce. It's interesting though that he initiated two petitions which seems contrary to him being like so many other abusive spouses who kill the wife because she left him. It also seems unless he'd drastically changed in the past couple of years that he wouldn't care if she left or not, except maybe for her taking the kids. So that seems contradictory to her fleeing with only the clothes on her back out of fear, unless it was because of the kids. I'm confused! :waitasec: MOO

Yeah, I think if we knew why these divorces were dismissed, we could understand this case and DS a lot better.

Was he using the divorce petitions as a way of bullying her and he didn't really want the divorce?
Or, did he think he wanted them, then changed his mind?

To me, there are a lot of possibilities.

FWIW, I don't know that who files the divorce petition reveals very much. I know at least two people who have filed even when they didn't want to, just so that they could set the "cause." I know one guy whose wife kicked him out of the house -- then wanted to stick him with "abandonment." He quickly filed for divorce under "irreconcilable differences." I'm sure every state has different laws that make certain actions more or less beneficial for people.

I can also see a very control-oriented person saying, You're gonna leave me? No way, I'M leaving YOU.

So many different ways to read this info... ugh... I'm going to go absolutely crazy if this doesn't clear up soon.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2010/04/michigan_state_police_remain_h.html

Snipped:

Court records also show that Douglas Stewart filed for divorce from his wife in September 2007 and again in July 2008, but both divorce petitions were eventually dismissed.

Ok....dismissed by who? Anybody know what this means? Does it mean DS dropped it? Does it mean the courts would not grant the divorces for some reason?

The court may have dismissed them due to lack of action. They only keep civil cases open for so long (length depending on jurisdiction) and will dismiss them if there has not been activity on them. You can't just file a civil action with the court and then do nothing with it forever. They probably just didn't follow through and the action was dropped due to lack of activity.

That happens a lot in divorce cases. People file them and then take no further action, so the court drops them from the active files.

The court may have dismissed them due to lack of action. They only keep civil cases open for so long (length depending on jurisdiction) and will dismiss them if there has not been activity on them. You can't just file a civil action with the court and then do nothing with it forever. They probably just didn't follow through and the action was dropped due to lack of activity.

That happens a lot in divorce cases. People file them and then take no further action, so the court drops them from the active files.

Thanks CharlestonGal. I know next to nothing about how divorce works.

Seems to me, if he wanted the divorces, he would have followed through with them as to keep the ball rolling so they would not be dismissed. IMO

The 2008 "event" is the one that has the most information. (based on this news report)

In June 2008 DS claimed that he was attacked by VS, during which the oldest daughter was also injured. Apparently VS was at some point was on probation for domestic violence, allthough it isn't clear if it is for the same incident.

In July 2008 DS files for divorce and VS obtains a PPO claiming physical abuse, threats and DS having an apparent sexual interest in her (which I though was an odd thing to have in a PPO filing). It isn't clear which came first, but if all this stemmed from the June incident then the DS filing probably preceeded the VS PPO. All this legal stuff is a tit for tat retaliation, so the first person to file is likely the aggrieved party. It would be interesting to know which came first I think.

In August DS gets a PPO himself. In that he claimed that she had some sort of mental disorder and was on medication, which she was failing to take. I'm not sure how these PPOs work, but if you are making a claim of fact I expect you would be have to produce evidence for it.

Interestingly, all of the VS filings were made in St. Joseph county, while all of the VS filings were apparently in Kalamazoo county. Don't know what that means, but maybe there is some significance there.

Then at some later date they appear to reconcile and everything is dismissed.

It appears that there was some sort of blowup in June and they were clearly in the process of splitting up, both parties made it very clear that they didn't want to be around each other.

So....he's described as the abuser....yet, she was on probation for domestic violence? All we've heard so far is one side.

Why would someone who was planning to abduct someone the next morning call attention to him self the night before in such a bizarre manor unless he was a decoy to send police off in the wrong direction. That is all I can think of. maybe a relative of ex husband or a friend. As far a I can see he is the only one with a motive.

I agree - and if the background check I did is accurate, grandpa is going to be 65yo tomorrow, May 10th. This mess is NOT a fit birthday present. moo

Awww.... I'm sad to hear that. I know that no one may agree with me, but I do hope that the children wish him a happy birthday... unless doing so would sabotage the location where they are in hiding.

Awww.... I'm sad to hear that. I know that no one may agree with me, but I do hope that the children wish him a happy birthday... unless doing so would sabotage the location where they are in hiding.

OOPS - wrong grandpa puf...Douglas' dad will be 65 tomorrow - that is if my background info is correct.

ETA: I see what you mean - long day here. I agree, sure do hope his grandkids can give a big happy birthday - wonder if the Venus' mom and dad know?

#1. This investigation (in Michigan) is being done by the Michigan State Police because the area where this abduction occurred is in unincorporated Colon Township this is actually great for the victim. This is good because the MSP is very professionial and very thorough and they are not small town Barney Fife LE. They have their own superb forensics facilities and they have solved many, many tough cases. I'm confident they are doing all they can to find any evidence at this point. The problem is...they aren't coming up with much of anything yet unless something breaks soon. It will have been 2 weeks tomorrow. Aside from involving the FBI, it's in the right people's hands though.

We don't know what they're coming up with. The only thing that Lt. Mike Risko has said is that Venus was abducted, vs. leaving on her own, and that Doug has lawyered up, is being non-cooperative, and that his alibi "checks out...for now." They haven't told us ANYTHING else. We don't know what evidence they have AT ALL. All we know is that they found general tread pattern agreement in Doug's vehicle and the imprint at the scene. And we only learned that because the media were able to get their hands on the search warrant request.

thinkaboutthis said:
#2. Ok, I get the fact that many of you are previous victims of spousal abuse because several of you point it out in your posts. I hate that you had to go through that and it certainly does happen, but it does seem to cloud your ability to be objective about some of the points that are being made. I'm guessing that your experiences have given you some good instincts that go off when you "hear" that certain aspects are involved in a case and I'm sure that more often than not, serves you well. The only issue I have is that this is all based on one side of the story from the victim's family and not on any real evidence at this point. So call me skeptical.

How utterly condescending. Ever thought that those of us who have been through abuse bring our experience to the table, but are also able to maintain objectivity as we read the facts of this case? Those of us who have suffered domestic violence are no less objective than anyone else at this forum. We are every bit as able to consider and process the facts as anyone else here is. No one at WS has a "tabula rasa;" everyone has experiences that form who they are, how they think, how they see things. Just because some of us have been through domestic violence and are able to see the red flags doesn't mean that we instantly side with the victim. Please don't condescend to us as if somehow we lost part of our rationality because we were once in abusive marriages.

thinkaboutthis said:
If anyone other than DS is found to be responsible for this, are you going to feel horrible that you never fully considered the inconsistencies and questions that are being raised?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have considered the inconsistencies. I've also utilized Occam's Razor.

thinkaboutthis said:
#3. My philosophy is this. If 95% of the people here are ready to hang the guy based solely on what was told to LE by the victim's family and what they heard on NG, what harm can it do to look for things that may point to him "NOT" being the one who did it? It's in no way an endorsement for DS. But shouldn't someone be looking the opposite direction? Whoever did it obviously needs to be held accountable. There are major hiccups with this case as it stands. That cannot be disputed.

My opinions are not grounded solely in what the family have said. My opinions are grounded in my reading ALL sources, considering ALL facts, and coming to my conclusion.

As far as "hiccups," care to elaborate? How can there be "hiccups" when we don't even have all of the facts yet?

When I hear a lieutenant with the MSP state that, yes, Doug has an alibi "for now," and in the second breath say that "there are no other persons of interest in the abduction of Venus but Doug Stewart," then I think a little reading between the lines is in order. MSP is holding its cards close. But, even though a man who was seen near Adams Lake has been sought, MSP continues to say that Doug is the sole person of interest in this case.

thinkaboutthis said:
#4. I asked about DS filing for divorce twice...and I really really wanted to put on the very end of that post..."and yes, I'm expecting a few of you to come back with (The Divorce IS the Control) or (He's a serial divorce abuser, jerk) and out of respect for those who have been abused, I refrained. But sure enough, it came right out that the crazy psycho must have filed for all these divorces to keep her from leaving...money being no object he kept his control over her, free to do what he...do you see what I am saying? That's not logical thinking.

There are several people in this post that get it, who can step back from this and look at it objectively, and not be offended by people posing questions that don't line up with their own opinions of the case. Put aside anything that may have happened in their own life and look at the facts and what makes sense and what doesn't. I applaud those posters.

Cool. Thanks for the applause. Everyone has life's experiences that color their vision. Objectivity is a fickle ghost.

thinkaboutthis said:
DS could turn out to be a cold blooded wife killer. He may be every bit the monster VS made him out to be. But at this point, VS family are the only ones releasing all the info to the media and the LE. The cops have admittedly not much to work with. The cops did say they investigated VS allegations made in February and did not have sufficient evidence to find DS commited a crime at all. Yes she is the one missing. Yes it very heartbreaking and tragic if someone took her. It would be even more tragic if someone on here could have helped figure out this mystery but was too biased to offer substantive info.

These children, when they are older, I'm sure would say that they would have wanted EVERY question asked, EVERY witness questioned, and EVERY scenario worked through to find out how, why, and who did this to their Mommy. And if DS didn't do this, oh man, those grandparents are going to have a hard time getting any family court to allow them to see those grandbabies after this.

Hopefully she is in a motel hiding out somewhere. Otherwise, this is going to be tragic no matter how it ends.

I THINK, THEREFORE I AM

LMFAO. Yeah, she took her daughters away from her husband, won custody, and a week later decided to leave her kids and go hide out in a hotel. And you're criticizing others' logic in these threads?

Here's what I find most exasperating about your lengthy post. You have no problem patting yourself on the back for your logic and objectivity, as if you and only a few other posters in this thread are "rational and objective," yet I'm certain that those other posters that you see as logical and objective are the two or three who seem certain that the victim's personality/character is the reason for her disappearance. You think that those of us who have been through domestic violence in marriages are unable to objectively process facts, when EVERY PERSON HERE has a past that influences the questions they ask, the facts they believe, the way they process the history of the players in this case. NO ONE is immune from subjective reasoning. No one.

I feel no shame for my status as a domestic abuse SURVIVOR. However, just to be clear, it gives me insight into actions by people in cases that are marred by domestic violence, but it doesn't cripple my ability to process the facts just as objectively as ANYONE ELSE in this case.

On the topic of LD:

I did some background research. I've come up with nothing that associates her with Doug.

Unless you're using a proven background check service, many of the freebies on the internet are bunk. When I checked my own background on multiple free services, the info that came up couldn't be further from the truth. It was badly flawed--more wrong than right.

As far as Doug goes, the only person that I (and another background researcher who I won't name--I think she's mentioned it in a post or two, though) found was Doug's father. The way I was able to associate him to Doug was by matching the bird's eye view on Bing maps to the videos on Doug's myspace. The property is identical. I also found one man who I believe to be Doug's brother, but I'm not absolutely positive about that.

Was able to ascertain that Venus has a brother, only because of the church prayer list in which the pastor mentions that Venus is DJ's brother. Of course, we know who her father and mother are.

Besides those, I am not certain of any other associates or relatives. I really don't think that LD is a girlfriend unless there's more info out there than I was able to find.

And if DS didn't do this, oh man, those grandparents are going to have a hard time getting any family court to allow them to see those grandbabies after this.

sbm

I feel the opposite..I think the family court will show mercy for the grandparents cos they will have already lost their daughter..Why would they add to their grief by also taking away her children, their grandbabies, just for pointing the finger at the most logical culprit?..LE, btw, is guilty of doing the same thing right now.

And how does it help these poor kids to lose both their mom & their grandparents? I always thought what's in the BEST interest of the kids is the top priority for family court.

If I'm wrong, please correct me.

So sorry you have had such a terrible experience. Using children and the threats of divorce to psychologically control the partner is common...the abuser moves on to the next woman he can terrorize and control. When that relationship ends he may end up going back to a previous spouse to restart his abuse. There are tons of books and research on this terrible state of existence. MOO MHO and all that stuff
I know; and i understand the psychological control used by abusive partners. I'm just having a hard time understanding how filing for divorce fits that mold.

Perhaps you think Venus is the terrorizer, the abuser - and we should all have empathy for what her husband has been through - I see no problem with that - but please tell me how you explain her obvious absence and his presence. When and if LE clear hubby, we will have to move on, so who is next? moo
I have no idea if she was an abuser. She was convicted for assaulting him (probation). I believe he was abusive to her as well. I see all that and then the accusations and PPOs and divorce filings flying back and forth between both of them, and that's why I believe this relationship was violent on both sides. IMO the only innocents I see in this whole mess are those two little girls. (and no, that doesn't mean I think Venus deserved to be abducted or worse)

I meant what I said a few pages back... I don't think any of the adults involved in all of this have stopped to consider what all this high drama and violence is doing to those children. Not a one of them.

As far as her absence? I know what it's like to believe your husband will kill you if you try to leave him. I know the desperation and terror. That's why I can't totally rule out that this could have been staged. I don't believe that to be the case; I think she was abducted by either a stranger or someone hired by husband, but that possibility is there. I asked when the police had cleared him (or rather decided they couldn't charge him) with the molestation because I wonder if that combined with a temporary custody order may have pushed her to do something this dramatic.

I don't know what the law is in Michigan (where I assume the divorce petitions were filed) but when I filed in VA, I was told the law here (at least at that time) was that if there were minor children involved, you had to be separated for a period of time. I want to say it was a year... not entirely sure but I do know it was a significant chunk of time. Perhaps it's something along those lines...

I don't know what the law is in Michigan (where I assume the divorce petitions were filed) but when I filed in VA, I was told the law here (at least at that time) was that if there were minor children involved, you had to be separated for a period of time. I want to say it was a year... not entirely sure but I do know it was a significant chunk of time. Perhaps it's something along those lines...

Michigan law is 6 months waiting period if you have minor children.

http://www.yourmichiganlawyers.com/Divorce.shtml

THE MANDATORY WAITING PERIOD IN MICHIGAN
You cannot get a "quick divorce"in Michigan because we have mandatory waiting periods. In a divorce where the parties have no minor children together, a Judgment of Divorce cannot be entered until at least sixty (60) days has passed from the date that a Complaint was filed with the Court. In a divorce where the parties have minor children together, a Court will require you to wait one hundred and eighty (180) days from the date of the filing of the Complaint before a Judgment of Divorce can be entered. In cases with minor children, if both parties agree, it may be possible to waive the last four (4) months of the 180 day waiting period. It is up to the Judge in each case to determine whether or not a portion of the waiting period will be waived. To waive a portion of the waiting period, the the Judge must find that it is in the best interests of the minor child(ren) that a portion of the waiting period should be waived.

If both parties agree to all the terms of the divorce, including custody, child support, spousal support and property division, a “Consent Judgment of Divorce” that complies with all applicable statutes and court rules can be entered with the Court when the proper waiting period has passed.

I've seen LD a few times...who is this person? Can somebody post a link to something with this LD person in it? Or give some background into who she is?Sorry, I must have missed it the first time around. Thanks! :)

I've seen LD a few times...who is this person? Can somebody post a link to something with this LD person in it? Or give some background into who she is?Sorry, I must have missed it the first time around. Thanks! :)

Apparently LD has been connected to Douglas in VA. Some new girlfriend? Not sure where that info came from but I did a background ck and a criminal background ck and nothing came up - Either my info is wrong and/or she doesn't live near Doug at all. Hard to imagine he would have a girlfriend at this point in time. moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop