Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
englishleigh said:
If the husband did this murder alone, he is a total non-human to have done it, but to have the sister go in to find her is unspeakable. :banghead:
Yep, that is really bad....if he did that, that is really the lowest of low...do put her through that. What a selfish you know what if he turns out to be the killer or some way involved.

Scout said:
Very well said, Annie. I couldn't agree more. I'm not certain how much disarray there was though. The sister only specified the blood in the bed, the toddler's bloody footprints, and the freaked-out dog. Police have said there was no sign of a break-in, and wasted little time in declaring it to be not a random crime.

Hi Scout - and thanks for your post. During the 911 call, Meredith gives the impression the house was somewhat 'out of order' (not exact words...) but not trashed. I also sensed she was petrified to use the "D" word when asked if Michelle was breathing, cold, or if Meredith could turn her over. I'm fully able to read all of these crime stories, watch FBI (etc) and get all the gory details - to the point of discssing MO and whodunnit's on an anonymous board. However, to walk in on my own sister's bloody, lifeless, cold, pregnant body - well I cannot imagine how I'd react, especially knowing my darling baby niece had been walking in and out of her blood. I known I'd want to scream; but I also know that such a reaction MAY have left a permanent scar in the 2yr old's mind.

As per your second post - I do get a sense that LE are (perhaps eerily??? or quietly??? or prematurely???) confident of *some* aspects of this homicide. perhaps they, too, are going over Standard Procedure and similar dots arise. Until more is confirmed, we can but speculate.

(Gosh, I agree: a really attractive smile :( very sad ...)

As far as the husband running of in the middle of the night, I am understanding, correct me if I'm wrong, there was company at the house until 10:30....I don't remember, what time did the husband say he left? Was it in the middle of the night?
If I recall correctly, the stories have seemed to indicate that the husband left before the guest. Brevard, NC, where his parent's house is, is approx. 290 miles from Raleigh thus it is very unlikely ,if not impossible, that he went there and came back and then returned. I don't believe it has been released at what time he arrived at his parent's house.

christine2448 said:
I truly am sorry you feel those of us sleuthing out all the people involved in a case is despicable, I disagree.

Of course the husbands car is being looked at, If I were LE he'd be my prime suspect right now and I'd be looking at EVERYTHING of his. We don't know that the sisters car hasn't been checked, or won't be...not everything is reported/released to media, and that is where we get most of our info.

Of course the husband is being finger printed, as I'm sure the sister was and I'm sure others and more to come.

Of course the police are talking to the husband, I am SURE they are also talking to the sister and every other Jane, Dick and Harry that the deceased knew, especially the sister, who was the 1st on the scene.

As far as the husband running of in the middle of the night, I am understanding, correct me if I'm wrong, there was company at the house until 10:30....I don't remember, what time did the husband say he left? Was it in the middle of the night?

Of course the husband lawyered up, I woulda.

Now.....we have NO idea what evidence at this time the police have, correct? Tell, what evidence at this time can be gathered that has been released? What do we know for sure at this point? Concrete and circumstancial? (<--did I word that right?)

They aren't just "looking at" his car. They have impounded it and are most likely busily collecting and testing evidence found therein as we discuss it. They can do none of that without probable cause. The house is the crime scene. They cannot get a warrant to search his automobile without probable cause -- evidence tying said vehicle to the time and place of the crime.

englishleigh said:
Meredith is a suspect b/c she found the body, :banghead:

Yes, sadly this is so, englishleigh: those closest-to are always scrutinized first before the net widens. The minute I read the husband's travel timeline & later saw "gambling debts" ... my biased hinky meter went: hmmmm...

During my time at W/S, dannyodie wisely reminds us often: 3 common denominators in crime: money, sex, drugs ... I've since taken danny's comments on board as the skeleton of the crime: LE and evidence later supply the meat and muscle.

Irrespective of the above, pregnant women who are murdered at the hands of their spouse remains alarming, atrocious and absolutely horrendous. Is it just me as a late-bloomer with eyes wide shut - or has this evil habit increased in the last couple of years????

wufdude said:
I indicated early in this thread that a rumor mill around here, and I am very local to the crime, was that the husband had some large gambling debts AND the wife had a large insurance policy. Purely speculation and could be way off base so take it FWIW.

I do. your posts are valuable to me and i think you've brought a great deal of worth, IMO.

thank you.

Scout said:
They aren't just "looking at" his car. They have impounded it and are most likely busily collecting and testing evidence found therein as we discuss it. They can do none of that without probable cause. The house is the crime scene. They cannot get a warrant to search his automobile without probable cause -- evidence tying said vehicle to the time and place of the crime.
Very good point, I'm not up on how this works...so what would constitute probable cause?

christine2448 said:
Very good point, I'm not up on how this works...so what would constitute probable cause?
OK...

Definition
The most widely held common definition would be "a reasonable belief that a crime has been committed" and that the person is linked to the crime with the same degree of certainty. An alternative definition has been proposed, "reason to believe that an injury had criminal cause", which is claimed to be more protective of individual rights as was intended by the authors of the Bill of Rights. See the Critique below.

I still don't get it, they just have to have reasonable belief a crime was committed and that an injury had criminal cause, and believe, not show evidence that hubby is involved?

PROBABLE CAUSE - A reasonable belief that a person has committed a crime. The test the court of appeals employs to determine whether probable cause existed for purposes of arrest is whether facts and circumstances within the officer's knowledge are sufficient to warrant a prudent person to believe a suspect has committed, is committing, or is about to commit a crime. U.S. v. Puerta, 982 F.2d 1297, 1300 (9th Cir. 1992). In terms of seizure of items, probable cause merely requires that the facts available to the officer warrants a "man of reasonable caution" to conclude that certain items may be contraband or stolen property or useful as evidence of a crime. U.S. v. Dunn, 946 F.2d 615, 619 (9th Cir. 1991), cert. Denied, 112 S. Ct. 401 (1992).

It is undisputed that the Fourth Amendment, applicable to the states through the Fourteenth Amendment, prohibits an officer from making an arrest without probable cause. McKenzie v. Lamb, 738 F.2d 1005, 1007 (9th Cir. 1984). Probable cause exists when "the facts and circumstances within the arresting officer's knowledge are sufficient to warrant a prudent person to believe that a suspect has committed, is committing, or is about to commit a crime." United States v. Hoyos, 892 F.2d 1387, 1392 (9th Cir. 1989), cert. denied, 489 U.S. 825 (1990) (citing United States v. Greene, 783 F.2d 1364, 1367 (9th Cir. 1986), cert. denied, 476 U.S. 1185 (1986)).

When there are grounds for suspicion that a person has committed a crime or misdemeanor, and public justice and the good of the community require that the matter should be examined, there is said to be a probable cause for, making a charge against the accused, however malicious the intention of the accuser may have been. And probable cause will be presumed till the contrary appears.

christine2448 said:

Hi christine - in addition: Meredith will naturally be 'processed in order to be cleared'... During the call, she admitted she touched a pillow. She tried to move her sister and look for signs of life on her sister (as per instructions and at the request of emergency operators in an attempt to save a life and guide her through CPR).

Meredith may even have had blood on her person/hands - if not through transfer via the little one, then directly from being in contact with Michelle's body. Seems to me the operator instantly understood the worst (admitting to Sheriff that it was probably a Code 7) appeared apparent & immediately told her not to touch anything else.

Upon entering, Meredith probably (obliviously) touched door-handles and other items.

BTW: At the end of the tape, the Sheriff responded to the 911 operator that they were aware of this - something about a car on its way. Did anyone catch that? Does this mean the Sheriff is able to monitor 911 calls - or could a second call have been made to the Sheriff's dept? Maybe a 2nd 911 operator alerted the Sheriff during the orginal call.

wufdude said:
If I recall correctly, the stories have seemed to indicate that the husband left before the guest. Brevard, NC, where his parent's house is, is approx. 290 miles from Raleigh thus it is very unlikely ,if not impossible, that he went there and came back and then returned. I don't believe it has been released at what time he arrived at his parent's house.

Whether the husband left before the guest has not been revealed. It's not really relevant. He could have easily returned after the guest left and killed his wife. As yet, there is nothing to indicate that he was at his parents' house or even in that vicinity when his wife was murdered. Only that he was there later in the afternoon, when he was "notified" of the crime. Therefore, it is certainly possible (and, imo, probable) that he committed the crime before traveling to Brevard.

Scout,
I would say that just him being the husband of a murdered woman would be probable cause to check out any and all vehicles they may have owned.

I hope that LE can release more information soon. I feel so bad for their family and her child. This case is already too sad :(

Scout said:
Whether the husband left before the guest has not been revealed. It's not really relevant. He could have easily returned after the guest left and killed his wife. As yet, there is nothing to indicate that he was at his parents' house or even in that vicinity when his wife was murdered. Only that he was there later in the afternoon, when he was "notified" of the crime. Therefore, it is certainly possible (and, imo, probable) that he committed the crime before traveling to Brevard.

Scout, LE determined:

1. Ruled a homicide (clearly)
2. Neighbours and locals need not be worried (not an unknown intruder = known: in my book anyway)
3. Not a random crime (= an internal crime; not one of opportunity: no forced entry or items that appear to be missing)

So, there is additional, yet undisclosed evidence. Ugh... !

Scout, ITA about Jason being more likely to "stick around" and actually kill her BEFORE traveling all the way to Brevard. I was actually just about to suggest that but you beat me to it. :)

I can't WAIT to find out what time he *reportedly* got to Brevard...although I have NO DOUBT that his parents would cover for him - at least his Mom - it seems that men's mothers always "take up" for their sons....ugh....think Scott Peterson....

And I also can't wait to find out a lot of other info on them. Where did Jason work? How long was this business trip supposed to last and if he didn't get there until late, late Thursday night or early Friday morning and he was at his parents' house on Friday afternoon, exactly when was the "business" supposed to occur? I wonder if he had a crap job? (Just a feeling I have.) Maybe Michelle was the breadwinner with her good job at Progress Energy...

I recall reading, and I can't remember where, that Jason was involved in sales and particularly I believe, medical equipment sales.

I know many people travel late at night but leaving Raleigh around 9:30-10:00 at night and driving all the way to Brevard would be tough. Maybe he stayed over somewhere? Hotel receipts?

Therefore, it is certainly possible (and, imo, probable) that he committed the crime before traveling to Brevard.
There are certainly a ton of things he could have done to kill time after leaving the house if he did in fact return to commit the crime.

SewingDeb said:
Scout,
I would say that just him being the husband of a murdered woman would be probable cause to check out any and all vehicles they may have owned.

You might say that, SewingDeb, but a judge certainly wouldn't.

Scout said:
You might say that, SewingDeb, but a judge certainly wouldn't.
Why not? What do you think the probable cause would have to be? I'm trying to understand this probable cause stuff.

Please see my earlier posts. Maybe you can clear up for us?

ETA...I rearead AGAIN my posts about probable cause:

When there are grounds for suspicion that a person has committed a crime or misdemeanor, and public justice and the good of the community require that the matter should be examined, there is said to be a probable cause for, making a charge against the accused, however malicious the intention of the accuser may have been. And probable cause will be presumed till the contrary appears.

So, all they need to prove probable cause is grounds for suspicion, HE IS THE HUSBAND, there is most definitly grounds for suspicion.....I agree with Deb.

christine2448 said:
Why not? What do you think the probable cause would have to be? I'm trying to understand this probable cause stuff.

Please see my earlier posts. Maybe you can clear up for us?

ETA...I rearead AGAIN my posts about probable cause:

So, all they need to prove probable cause is grounds for suspicion, HE IS THE HUSBAND, there is most definitly grounds for suspicion.....I agree with Deb.

(Edited to add: dark red above, mine)...To impound the vehicle, a judge would have had to have signed off significant and valid reasons supplied by LE to further search/investigate and collect evidence. (Not just because it's the husband's vehicle... that's not a good enough reason...)

New little tidbit of info, although not very important....

High school friends described Michelle Young as a "normal down-to-earth person" who was captain of her cheerleading squad at Sayville High School in West Sayville N.Y., where she graduated in 1995.

They said she was very happily married, was thrilled to be a mother and thrilled about being a mom again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbelle