Michelle Young ~ Pregnant Mother NC Part 1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
PolkSaladAnnie said:
(Edited to add: dark red above, mine)...To impound the vehicle, a judge would have had to have signed off significant and valid reasons supplied by LE to further search/investigate and collect evidence. (Not just because it's the husband's vehicle... that's not a good enough reason...)
See my post #129

PROBABLE CAUSE - A reasonable belief that a person has committed a crime. The test the court of appeals employs to determine whether probable cause existed for purposes of arrest is whether facts and circumstances within the officer's knowledge are sufficient to warrant a prudent person to believe a suspect has committed, is committing, or is about to commit a crime. U.S. v. Puerta, 982 F.2d 1297, 1300 (9th Cir. 1992). In terms of seizure of items, probable cause merely requires that the facts available to the officer warrants a "man of reasonable caution" to conclude that certain items may be contraband or stolen property or useful as evidence of a crime.

So the facts are? He is her husband, he is likely involved? Or, what are the facts?

The sister mentioned during the 911 call that the she was stiff and cold which indicates that she was in rigor mortis. From what i understand about rigor mortis it generally sets in between 12 to 72 hours after death. Her guest left at 10:30 so most likely she was murdered sometime between 10:30pm and 1:30am when in order to meet the minimum 12 hour time frame for rigor to start... also the baby was out and wandering around the house in order to track the blood all over as the sister indicated in the call. Could the baby have been in a toddler or normal bed? or was she still sleeping in a crib...? if so that would indicate someone got her out of the crib in the morning after she awoke. Also I would expect the authorities have determined if she was dressed for bed, work or wearing the same clothing as when entertaining the night before. They most likely have also determined if the killer cleaned up before leaving the crime scene. That doesnt necessarily point to the husband but he could nto have left covered in blood if he was supposedly arriving from a business trip...

Its heartbreaking to think of that poor little child wandering alone in the house for what could have been many hours with no one there to care for her... diapers, food etc.. and all those trips in to see "mommy who has boo-boos all over her.." Whoever did it is pretty heartless to leave a child wandering alone under those circumstances..awful just awful.:mad: :( And the sister is going to need alot of support .. I cant imagine finding my sister under those same circumstances.. :(

Hi christine ... thanks, I got that ... it's the first part of your reference that's significant in this instance. In your post below, changes I have made red & bold.

christine2448 said:
See my post #129

PROBABLE CAUSE - A reasonable belief that a person has committed a crime.

The test the court of appeals employs to determine whether probable cause existed for purposes of arrest is whether facts and circumstances within the officer's knowledge are sufficient to warrant a prudent person to believe a suspect has committed, is committing, or is about to commit a crime. U.S. v. Puerta, 982 F.2d 1297, 1300 (9th Cir. 1992). In terms of seizure of items, probable cause merely requires that the facts available to the officer warrants a "man of reasonable caution" to conclude that certain items may be contraband or stolen property or useful as evidence of a crime.

Hi again, christine. Sorry - your changes were made while I was responding.

christine2448 said:
See my post #129

So the facts are? He is her husband, he is likely involved? Or, what are the facts?

At this stage, NO official facts have been released other than: "homicide; not random & neighbours have nothing to worry about." (thanks wufdude for the extra notes...)

"Is the husband likely involved?"

Yes, imo, very much so! The vehicle would not have been impounded had the sheriff's office not gained good enough reason and supporting evidence for a Judge to sign permission to sieze the car, so to speak... (With respect, I'm leaving the probable cause/impounded vehicle debate here).

opme said:
The sister mentioned during the 911 call that the she was stiff and cold which indicates that she was in rigor mortis. From what i understand about rigor mortis it generally sets in between 12 to 72 hours after death. Her guest left at 10:30 so most likely she was murdered sometime between 10:30pm and 1:30am when in order to meet the minimum 12 hour time frame for rigor to start... also the baby was out and wandering around the house in order to track the blood all over as the sister indicated in the call. Could the baby have been in a toddler or normal bed? or was she still sleeping in a crib...? if so that would indicate someone got her out of the crib in the morning after she awoke. Also I would expect the authorities have determined if she was dressed for bed, work or wearing the same clothing as when entertaining the night before. They most likely have also determined if the killer cleaned up before leaving the crime scene. That doesnt necessarily point to the husband but he could nto have left covered in blood if he was supposedly arriving from a business trip...

[edited]

(

Great thoughts, opme...thanks. Will be interesting to find out!

fyi, the attorney that the husband has retained, Roger Smith, is a high-profile criminal defense attorney in this area.

PolkSaladAnnie said:
(With respect, I'm leaving the probable cause/impounded vehicle debate here).
LOL..gotcha, I'm still confused. I still don't get it...thanks for trying anyway!

I think it's not always safe to infer guilt based on how someone reacts-especially in a stressful situation. In an emergency I tend to go rather numb and feel very out of it-however I can function and act calmly. Afterward when it all has a chance to sink in I fall apart. When my daughter had to have emergency surgery I was fin in the ER, fine waiting for the surgeon, fine while they wheeled her into the operating room and then, when I sat down in the waiting room and it really hit me that she could have died I fell apart completely.

It could be that it hadn't sunk in for the sister yet, it could be that she was holding it together for the child, there could be a lot of reasons she wouldn't be hysterical that don't point toward guilt.

Simply being her husband is enough for the police to look at him with suspicion, but it is in no way enough for a judge to sign a warrant allowing them access to his vehicle.

I don't know what was provided in the affidavit requesting a warrant, but I can give some examples of what could feasibly be included:
  • Evidence indicating that he lied about when he left home.
    • Cell phone usage that places him in the vicinity of the home when he claims to have been elsewhere.
    • Security camera imagery that places him in the vicinity of the home when he claims to have been elsewhere.
    • Credit card transactions that place him in the vicinity of the home when he claims to have been elsewhere.
  • Absence of any signs of forcible entry into the house.
  • Record that shows that the security system (if there is one) in the house was disarmed with the master code.
  • Inability to provide verification of his whereabouts during the time in question.
  • Forensic evidence on or in the car that is clearly visible prior to a search.
  • Forensic evidence in the home that implicates him.
  • Statements made by the daughter that implicate him.
  • Statements from family or friends as to problems between the couple.
  • Odd statements made by him upon learning of his wife's death or thereafter.
  • Suspicious behavior
  • Evidence, such as written communication or computer evidence, that there was some sort of confrontation between husband and wife prior to her death.

I have been in and out here today and maybe I missed it, do we know that there was a search warrant for the car? Is it possible that it was a consent to search? Yust wondering:confused:

Thanks, Scout (there you go, christine - far more clear than my waffle!).

Something that added to my suspicion about the husband's involvement is ... wouldn't he have called Michelle to say he'd arrived ok? If, as we're led to believe, Michelle was supposed to be at work, wouldn't he have tried her at work? And ... if she was not working, surely he'd have called home to say he'd arrived OK? Again, phone records would clear this up ... but: for him to ring his sister to collect a fax and not even call his wife (especially after 'doubling-up' upon hearing 'the news') just doesn't gel.

And .... *what* .... on earth would make his step-dad instantly enlist a top lawyer and deny LE any access to Jason? Why? Why bring in such a high-profile lawyer immediately? Something appears too contrived - unless climbing statistics unnerved his step-dad prematurely, but that's rather dubious, to me anyway.

Surely Jason would have run in and WANTED to question officers himself, let alone the other way around???

Shadow205 said:
I have been in and out here today and maybe I missed it, do we know that there was a search warrant for the car? Is it possible that it was a consent to search? Yust wondering:confused:
I was coming to post this same thing, all I could find was an article where a relative says investigators have confiscated Jason Young's vehicle and everything in it.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=local&id=4733493

Sooo, was it given up voluntarily? Was there a warrant? Who do we know they "seized" his vehicle?

Does anyone know if this case has been (or will be) covered on any of the "news" shows such as Nancy Grace, Greta, etc? I would be interested in watching...

Shamrock said:
Does anyone know if this case has been (or will be) covered on any of the "news" shows such as Nancy Grace, Greta, etc? I would be interested in watching...
Off topic :slap: ...who is that saying Potatoes in yer siggy??

I've not heard of anything like that. In fact, with all the election coverage, the case does not even seem to be front-page news locally.

christine2448 said:
Off topic :slap: ...who is that saying Potatoes in yer siggy??

I actually have no idea. I just thought it was funny. :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member