Mistrial, Hung Jury - Raven Abaroa Murder in the 1st

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I hope the judge will have them go home for the weekend, maybe a couple days away from it and time to think privately will help the juror know one way or the other if their mind will change.

Has to be a very uncomfortable position for that juror to be in, I've often wondered how I'd handle such a situation myself (as jury summons fly fast and freely down here in the land of suits), I'm incredibly stubborn as most Taureans are but I'd also feel terrible that I was the only one who viewed the evidence as I did.

If I were the hold out, by now I would be doubting myself. If 11 other people are seeing things one way and I'm the only one seeing them another way, I would think I am wrong. Especially with the judge sending them back 3 times to deliberate further. I would absolutely be re-examining my own stance and thoughts.

NC do you think that one juror is having trouble, assuming it's 11-1 for conviction of course, with the LWP? I'm starting to wonder if Second Degree were an option, would a guilty vote would be easier for him/her?

If the preliminary jury selection went as it should, LWP should have been asked of each juror and each juror selected should have had no problem with it. So I don't know....

I have had a bad headache all day. It's going into a migraine and I just took my second pain pill in the past 90 minutes. All I can think about is Janet's mother. A mother's love is something that is so sacred and pure. Except for in the case of RA and that family. I just feel so much pain for Janet's mom. I am praying for strength and peace for her, I am amazed at the strength she has shown so far.

Hope the second pill does the trick, NC.

ABC11 had what looked like a reporter outside the building but stopped the camera when I guess they realized they were live.

Hope the second pill does the trick, NC.

ABC11 had what looked like a reporter outside the building but stopped the camera when I guess they realized they were live.

Thank you GeeVee about the pill/headache.
Was the outside reporter a pretty AA lady in an orange dress? If so, that's Tamara Gibbs who has been tweeting. She's very good.

If I were the hold out, by now I would be doubting myself. If 11 other people are seeing things one way and I'm the only one seeing them another way, I would think I am wrong. Especially with the judge sending them back 3 times to deliberate further. I would absolutely be re-examining my own stance and thoughts.

I think I would be to depending on how strong I felt about it.

Gosh i cant even look at janets family i cried. I feel so terrible for thm there r no words.

Like I said earlier, Amanda Lamm of WRAL is usually the person who covers these cases for that station. I'm surprised she has been absent for this one. She has written several books about the various murders in the Raleigh area in the past few years. Some like her books, others do not. I have never read one since I have watched the trials so I don't have an opinion about her writings.

I've read all three, didn't care much for the Nancy Cooper one. Just a rehash. But the one on the murder of Stephanie Bennett was extremely interesting, especially since that one never came to trial. Can't remember his name, committed suicide in jail.

They will be going home in 1 hour. We need a resounding guilty verdict before then.

I have had a bad headache all day. It's going into a migraine and I just took my second pain pill in the past 90 minutes. All I can think about is Janet's mother. A mother's love is something that is so sacred and pure. Except for in the case of RA and that family. I just feel so much pain for Janet's mom. I am praying for strength and peace for her, I am amazed at the strength she has shown so far.

I have lupus and I feel like everything hurts.

I, too, am thinking of her mama....her grace throughout all of this has really been a lessen to me. I honestly don't know if I would have her strength if my child were murdered like Janet was.
And Kaiden.....oh my, not even being able to see my grandchild after an emotional bang of this magnitude would definitely probably push me over the edge.
I'm reminded of sweet Cassidy and how the Youngs kept her from the Fishers....and Meredith was her nanny! And Linda was extremely close to her. What a horrendous thing to do to any loved ones and especially the child involved.

Prediction (I suck at them): Judge will declare a mistrial.

Question: can defendant will enter an Alford plea?

I would think he could enter an Alford plea, but I don't see his ego letting him do it chiquita. Or his mother. I wish, wish, wish he would.

Just dammit.

I've read all three, didn't care much for the Nancy Cooper one. Just a rehash. But the one on the murder of Stephanie Bennett was extremely interesting, especially since that one never came to trial. Can't remember his name, committed suicide in jail.

I can't remember his name now either but he took the easy way out. Wasn't that at or near Wilmington, wasn't she a UNC-W student or am I'm completely forgetting about this one.

Thank you GeeVee about the pill/headache.
Was the outside reporter a pretty AA lady in an orange dress? If so, that's Tamara Gibbs who has been tweeting. She's very good.

Yes, I believe it was. Thanks for naming her. :)

I, too, am thinking of her mama....her grace throughout all of this has really been a lessen to me. I honestly don't know if I would have her strength if my child were murdered like Janet was.
And Kaiden.....oh my, not even being able to see my grandchild after an emotional bang of this magnitude would definitely probably push me over the edge.
I'm reminded of sweet Cassidy and how the Youngs kept her from the Fishers....and Meredith was her nanny! And Linda was extremely close to her. What a horrendous thing to do to any loved ones and especially the child involved.

Her mother is a saint. I pray that this does not break her. This is heartbreaking to watch. Her family has been through so much already. Enough is enough.

Absolutely on all your thoughts. About Kaiden, he truly needs to be with Janet's family to have a chance at growing up normally. Poor little thing, I feel for him too. He's old enough now to know what's going on.
I'm so sorry about your lupus. My friend has it and I know what it does to her at times. When 5 o'clock rolls around and they stop for the weekend, get on the couch and just let everything in your body relax.

I would think he could enter an Alford plea, but I don't see his ego letting him do it chiquita. Or his mother. I wish, wish, wish he would.

Just dammit.

I don't see him offering an Alford plea if he thinks there is half a chance of getting off free and clear. And right now, as hard as we are praying for justice for Janet and her family, he's in a holding cell praying that the one hold out juror will stand firm and not give in because there's that slight chance the DA will choose not to retry.

Brandon Sherer ‏@AssistantToND 10m

#BreakingNews: @TGibbsABC11 Reports "Hung" Jurors Cried & Rolled Eyes When Judge Ordered Them 2 Keep Deliberating Raven Abaroa Trial #ABC11
Retweeted by ABC11 WTVD

https://twitter.com/abc11_wtvd

I'm sitting out here in a large sun room with sun pouring in... with the a/c going full blast. That's kind of oxymoronic. Or silly. Or probably stupid.

Brandon Sherer ‏@AssistantToND 10m

#BreakingNews: @TGibbsABC11 Reports "Hung" Jurors Cried & Rolled Eyes When Judge Ordered Them 2 Keep Deliberating Raven Abaroa Trial #ABC11
Retweeted by ABC11 WTVD

https://twitter.com/abc11_wtvd

I know this is difficult for the jurors. I hate that they have become emotional. I hope the one hold out isn't playing a game with all of this.

I know this is difficult for the jurors. I hate that they have become emotional. I hope the one hold out isn't playing a game with all of this.

I can only imagine the tensions, the responsibility, the emotions... oh my. Wish we knew which side the 11 are leaning towards....

From WRAL's 4pm internet news:

Janet Abaroa's family 'terrified' by deadlocked jury

Durham, N.C. — Jurors in the first-degree murder trial of Raven Abaroa continued working Friday toward a unanimous verdict even after the panel of seven men and five women told the presiding judge twice that it could not reach a unanimous verdict.

"We have decided that no amount of deliberation will alter our decision or lead us to a unanimous resolution of guilty or not guilty," Superior Court Judge Orlando Hudson read from a second jury note Friday afternoon.

<mod snip>

http://www.wral.com/abaroa-jury-deadlocked-11-1/12502443/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
disturbedprincess6