Mistrial, Hung Jury - Raven Abaroa Murder in the 1st

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I love the judge. I thank the jury for its service and will await the retrial.

Char: "Retrial September 9 of this year:
Mom: "FVK!"
Defense: "dude what? we iz not ready we iz busy"

I love the judge. I thank the jury for its service and will await the retrial.

Oh Chiquita, it's not automatic (retrial). In my gut, I think it won't be retried, but it may well depend upon which way the 11/1 split went.

Poor Mrs. Christiansen...

Now will he get to home?

Like I said earlier, Amanda Lamm of WRAL is usually the person who covers these cases for that station. I'm surprised she has been absent for this one. She has written several books about the various murders in the Raleigh area in the past few years. Some like her books, others do not. I have never read one since I have watched the trials so I don't have an opinion about her writings.

There wasn't a trial about this one, East -- the slayer slayed himself before anything ever really got started. He had been arrested & charged with murder & rape, but that's as far as it got. This is by far, IMO, her best book. It's a bad crime; it happened here in Raleigh -- a college girl is murdered by a chemist who was very meek-seeming, a loner and just kinda weird. A quick read.

51%2BVdWFG%2BGL._SL160_.jpg

I'm disappointed that they couldn't even deliberate until 5PM.

Continued prayers for Janet's family. This must be unbearable for them.

I am not happy.
I do want to say before all of you on here get scattered that I have enjoyed spending my time with you here on WS. This group has been terrific, thank you all for sharing the pain and the little triumphs. Love you all!!

There wasn't a trial about this one, East -- the slayer slayed himself before anything ever really got started. He had been arrested & charged with murder & rape, but that's as far as it got. This is by far, IMO, her best book. It's a bad crime; it happened here in Raleigh -- a college girl is murdered by a chemist who was very meek-seeming, a loner and just kinda weird. A quick read.

51%2BVdWFG%2BGL._SL160_.jpg

Thanks for getting me straightened out on this. I remember his suicide, but I was thinking she was in UNC-W.

[ if anyone wants to see some video: http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/12502845/#/vid12502845 ]

AWESOME!

This guy didn't do it, and judging by the comments on the internet, I'm assuming the split was 11 G - 1 NG.

I'm SO glad the judge didn't make them go back AGAIN. I feel really bad for that poor single juror, they probably were so rude to him.

They should NOT have to go back just so they can abuse a holdout.

This makes 2 out of the last 3 cases against a husband in Raleigh/Durham, NC that ended in a hung jury the first time around (Jason and Raven), not to mention Brad getting railroaded.

It's really hard to be a man in NC.

Oh Chiquita, it's not automatic (retrial). In my gut, I think it won't be retried, but it may well depend upon which way the 11/1 split went.

Poor Mrs. Christiansen...

Now will he get to home?

The state is going to retry him (per WRAL twitter), he will remain in custody.

My heart breaks for Janet's family and friends!

Remember Jason Young's first trial was hung and look where he is now after his retrial.

Brandon Sherer ‏@AssistantToND 10m

#BreakingNews: @TGibbsABC11 Reports "Hung" Jurors Cried & Rolled Eyes When Judge Ordered Them 2 Keep Deliberating Raven Abaroa Trial #ABC11
Retweeted by ABC11 WTVD

https://twitter.com/abc11_wtvd
WHAT? How disrespectful!

Tiger- just read your next post. Good they WILL retry. They must know which way the jurors were leaning. Does the judge usually announce that?

Diana Bosch ‏@dianabosch 48s
Janet Abaroa's mother cries as she leaves courtroom. No family members or friends spoke to the media.

Oh, regarding retrial:

I think they said on the news that they will retry it... but we all knew they'd do that anyway. They've been spending money chasing this guy for almost a decade now, why not waste a couple million more dollars on a new trial.

At least this time they can't hide the evidence of the other man in the picture, and Raven's attorneys can plan their strategy accordingly.

WHAT? How disrespectful!

Tiger- just read your next post. Good they WILL retry. They must know which way the jurors were leaning. Does the judge usually announce that?

I saw Tamara Gibbs with channel 11 interviewing Charlene right before the camera went black. I have channel 11 turned on my tv, will report back what Charlene says. It's the leading headlines right now for the 5pm news.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back