Is the defense hoping for an ineffective counsel defense

• Yes

Votes: 59 16.1%
  • No

Votes: 209 56.9%
  • Maybe?

Votes: 99 27.0%

• Total voters
On all the newscasts, and on many of our threads here, Cindy Anthony has become a sympathetic, heroic grieving grandmother. Isn't it delightfully ironic that Casey's own lawyer is responsible for making Cindy into that. LOL

:floorlaugh: "...than my dogs want a pet cat:" :floorlaugh:

Until the trial is over, I'm nervous about pronouncing JB a loser (although I think hie is one), however, I gotta wonder about this: He's busily portraying ICA as a pathetic, traumatized victim who habitually invents a happy, happy reality, replete with all sorts of details, and populated with fictional people, so she can survive in the big bad world.

So just how does JB plan to deal with those jail tapes with Cindy and George, where Casey comes off like a vicious, vindictive, unfeeling narcissistic you-know-what.

BBM

This is exactly what he is doing. The only problem with that is there is no psychiatrist/psychologist (that I am aware of) to testify to this. So what will the jury do with KC if she is so crazy?

Of course, JB is working every possible angle for reasonable doubt. The GA abuse allegations, Kronk hid the body allegations, KC is a mentally messed up survivor of her horrible parents. That is a lot of ground to cover and convince, however, it only takes one person believe any element of that. So, JB is doing his job, just in more of a prosecution style. (BTW, has anyone noticed JB is learning to question in the manner the State does?)

What will the outcome be? IDK, I am not one of the jurors, I have more knowledge and now prejudice, and I think KC is just flat out guilty. What are the jurors seeing and hearing? What are they putting together?

The other thing against the Defense is the length of the trial, it gives the jurors much more time to come to logical conclusions than your usual one week murder trial.

I've really thought about this and I just don't believe Baez's ego would allow him to do this deliberately. I think it's pretty obvious (to me anyway) that there is definitely going to be an appeal issue down the track for ineffective assistance of counsel, but only because Baez is bumbling his way there. I also think that the 200 grand payment of ABC is going to be an issue at some stage.

But Mason, he's got a 40 year career and I don't think for one moment he would consider deliberately throwing that away for a snit of a sociopath like Casey Anthony. I just think he thinks he can keep her from the death penalty and for him that will be a win.

Dorothy Sims I don't understand at all - what on earth does she know about criminal cases and death penalty ones at that?

Ann Finnell - I think the issue might be a simple one for her, she's not invested in this part of trial so probably won't be stung by it later and she's probably got a good chance at a decent mitigation defense, because I think she's very capable.

IMO, yes they are. The rest of the Defense team will blame the loss on Baez. He has made so many mistakes IMO that could of been avoided and he continues to mess up one way or another. IMO, it's because he knows he has lost this case and just wants the exposure. The rest will also get their exposure as well, and the people will not look down upon them since Baez is front and center. JMO.. :cow:

Casey Trial Continues; State Wants Fraud Convictions In
Updated: 6:56 am EDT June 1, 2011

"Snip" Full Article: http://www.wftv.com/news/28091499/detail.html
UPCOMING
: http://www.wftv.com/caseyanthony/index.html | Live Blog http://www.wftv.com/caseyanthony/index.html

BILL SHEAFFER: Analysis Of Day 17 http://www.wftv.com/video/28087956/index.html

Sheaffer said he believes Baez has made a novice mistake in a life or death case and that defense attorney Cheney Mason should take a bigger role as the much more experienced counsel.

“It was a terrible blunder on the defense part, we should see more of Mr. Mason, and less of Mr. Baez. Mr. Mason would not have made this mistake,” said Sheaffer.

On all the newscasts, and on many of our threads here, Cindy Anthony has become a sympathetic, heroic grieving grandmother. Isn't it delightfully ironic that Casey's own lawyer is responsible for making Cindy into that. LOL

yes, all i can say is JB had said for a long time...'everything would be made clear at trial' and then closer to trial he said 'in the first minuate or so we would know what happened to Caylee' (not verbatim)

well he did in fact deliver imo, we now know that just reading the evidence and media didn't portray what was really going on with the A's, we clearly see who other then Caylee were victims and how. His OS admitting that Caylee died June 16, 2008 was all the A's needed/wanted to know. The whole thing is so sad.

I am now leaning toward no now but still maybe. I agree with the posters who said DT doesn't have much to work with but, the question JB asked YM about ICA telling him she had committed suicide I was like what???? :waitasec: I was half expecting Rod Sterling to appear on screen. It was a bizarre question to say the least.

I didn't read any previous posts so as not to taint my virgin mind, lol....

if the DT purposely trying for ineffective defense? No, actually, it is happening all by itself! LOL Go, Jose! You are a loose, wild animal! rawrrrr

(C.Mason: Thank you very much. You are a very patient human being!)

At the same time as I putter about my life and still try to watch, listen and catch ICAs rather awkward movements, body language and facial expressions each time Baez shoves his shoe further down his throat, I cannot help but think that:

I will bet the farm that ICA is planning, looking forward to her appeal trial cameos

Casey picked an excellent Attorney to represent her in this matter. He came highly recommended from other female inmates.

When the older gentleman Attny (Mason) gets up I get depressed. When the lady with the perm and laryngitis gets up, depressed again.

When Baez gets up, it is better than any TV I have ever seen.

I liked Ann. I thought she did a good job getting the jurors to relate to her.

I didn't read any previous posts so as not to taint my virgin mind, lol....

if the DT purposely trying for ineffective defense? No, actually, it is happening all by itself! LOL Go, Jose! You are a loose, wild animal! rawrrrr

(C.Mason: Thank you very much. You are a very patient human being!)

At the same time as I putter about my life and still try to watch, listen and catch ICAs rather awkward movements, body language and facial expressions each time Baez shoves his shoe further down his throat, I cannot help but think that:

I will bet the farm that ICA is planning, looking forward to her appeal trial cameos

JB might as well be working for the SA's he sure is helping their case more than his own:woohoo:

I can't believe that with 5 lawyers on her team (and all the previous ones) that they couldn't come up with something better than this. All they had to do was read here a bit and they would have been handed a dozen better defense strategies instead of the one they chose to go with.

They might not be trying for "ineffectual counsel" but they sure getting there! Too bad for KC that she won't legally be able to claim it!

I can't believe that with 5 lawyers on her team (and all the previous ones) that they couldn't come up with something better than this. All they had to do was read here a bit and they would have been handed a dozen better defense strategies instead of the one they chose to go with.

They might not be trying for "ineffectual counsel" but they sure getting there! Too bad for KC that she won't legally be able to claim it!

I would wear a paper bag with holes to see thru if I had to sit at the defense table some of them have to be embarassed by JB's cross exam's and that OS(or ditched outer limits script) :waitasec:

They really can't help it. It's coming naturally to them.

Just a side note...the day when CA testified and JB had CA look at KC to evaluate her for a protruding belly...well, her attire was totally orchestrated just for that event, IMO. Prior to and since that day, KC has not had anything on that was that clingy. Everything has been dowdy and somewhat ill-fitting. Not that they can't do that, it was just SO obvious. And nothing to do with an ineffective counsel. Sorry o/t.

Bill Schaeffer's wrap up interview today was good. He said less than 1 percent of all ineffective counsel cases win an appeal.

While I don't believe Baez is intentionally trying I think he is doing a good job at really falling apart. Like today with Yuri. They have an agreement to proffer this sort of testimony and he used something that the jury is left wondering about. This is not death penalty type of lawyer behavior, more like accident attorney tricks.

Unfortunately what I feel is the downside to having to fact Baez, is that the State has to be very careful to give a little more in order that they don't face such an appeal. I strongly believe that the State might have pushed this morning to get those felony records in and ride out the consequences if this was any other case. But they just don't want to give her any more ammunition in such an appeal.

I can certainly see why you would think that, however I think it really is just sheer incompetence at work here. I am surprised at how seemingly ineffectual her defense is. I did think that maybe jose was maintaining a facade of being slightly clueless, and thought he might dazzle us all at trial, but no, he'a just clueless full stop.

I agree and :seeya: I am an Aussie too, just living stateside!

bbm
Exactly!!!!

no. I was an airline pilot for over 30 years. that would be like saying: the captain of your flight is hoping to land at the wrong airport today.

however, having said that, this took place 2day:

Baez said this to Melich (paraphrased)

so you ignored the statements of George and Cindy Anthony within the first 24 hours that the disappearance may have actually been an accident that was being covered up?

Jose Baez asked that question to the detective.

my god, that is their story. so, in that question, he is suggesting that GA was attempting to focus the investigation on what he was trying to hide, i.e., an accident.

So, anything is possible with Jose. He is a bad joke.

oh and btw LDB corrected the record and pointed out that it was CA that made the statement, to a reporter, not to a detective.

which only made the scene more bizarre, as if that were needed.

no. I was an airline pilot for over 30 years. that would be like saying: the captain of your flight is hoping to land at the wrong airport today.

so you ignored the statements of George and Cindy Anthony within the first 24 hours that the disappearance may have actually been an accident that was being covered up?

my god, that is their story. so, in that question, he is suggesting that GA was attempting to focus the investigation on what he was trying to hide, i.e., an accident.

oh and btw LDB corrected the record and pointed out that it was CA that made the statement, to a reporter, not to a detective.

His cross of Melich was really bad He's a train-wreck waiting for a place to happen IMO

I can only throw out a guess but from what I've seen of Baez after following this case for 3 years, he isn't doing his type of defense to get a mistrial. Imo he is truly inept at this kind of defense but he loves the lime light.
He puffs up like a peacock when he's questioning a witness. Heck he does that at sidebars. :D

I was choking when JB was going there, asking why an accident wasn't investigated, as if his client was sitting in jail refusing to say a thing other then her ridiculous nanny story.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CamSoup
Back