GUILTY MN - Daunte Wright, 20, fatally shot by police during traffic stop, Brooklyn Center, Apr 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My guess? The jury much, like me, found her shooting Daunte to be reckless use of a firearm. She endangered other officers and the public.

I have been going on about this in a couple of posts upthread.. about where did the reckless use of a firearm suddenly come into the prosecution's closing arguments, and then I realized it came straight from the judge's instructions to the jury. It seems KP was convicted of 'first degree' manslaughter because she had committed a misdemeanor, that of reckless use of a firearm? But yet.. when was it proven during trial that KP was guilty of reckless use of a firearm? I feel like I'm missing a big chunk of information, or something. imo.

The Ben Crump effect is evidenced in this interview..

This attorney (state) charged the case correctly in my mind...murder would have been a much higher bar and they could well have lost. Ben Crump should stay out of local politics and law. Just my opinion.

The Ben Crump effect is evidenced in this interview..

This attorney (state) charged the case correctly in my mind...murder would have been a much higher bar and they could well have lost. Ben Crump should stay out of local politics and law. Just my opinion.

What were the original charges?

Outing myself with a very unpopular opinion. I am not in agreement with this verdict, not saying that I matter in this context, but i have to speak up. I usually remain quiet as i do not like to cause tension and ruffle feathers. But, we are on a dangerous path... LE will feel less and less comfortable intervening and rightly so. What does that mean for our communities? I work with LE often when they bring pts to us in the ER to assess. They do so much good, which is hardly ever talked about and appreciated. But one grave mistake, but still a mistake, is punished to this extent? We all make mistakes as it is human. And the likelihood of making mistakes and making more substantial mistakes increases with stress. She was in a very stressful situation, especially having a new recruit with her. This shouldn't have happened, but it did. I am certain that she didn't get up that morning planning to use her gun instead of her taser. Maybe there is more to this that i am not aware of. I hope so in a way, because i can't wrap my head around this decision.

And BTW, i would feel identical about this case/outcome if the LE officer was African-American and the victim Caucasian.

Sorry, guys, i know this will upset some. Not my intention, but i had to vent my feelings tonight. Forgive me.

I fully agree with you. I can't figure out a way to express myself in a suitable way, and each of my posts have been removed, or altered. I don't think putting her in prison makes our streets any safer. I feel sorry for her and her family. She will be in prison instead of becoming a grandma. The city will pay millions to the "drivers" family and their loss will become less great, but Potters will remain,

I fully agree with you. I can't figure out a way to express myself in a suitable way, and each of my posts have been removed, or altered. I don't think putting her in prison makes our streets any safer. I feel sorry for her and her family. She will be in prison instead of becoming a grandma. The city will pay millions to the "drivers" family and their loss will become less great, but Potters will remain,
How about feeling bad for Daunte Wright and his family?Money isn't going to bring their son back so I don't understand your comments about the money making their loss less great.At least the Potter's will still get to talk to her even if it's in jail.I'm sure the Wright's would give the world to at least talk to their family member again.

I'm fairly certain (but it would be nice to have a lawyer weigh in) that the lawsuits are made on behalf of the estate of the person, and in this case, there are three outstanding civil suits against Wright's estate for the pain and injuries he caused to some of his victims. So I don't think they would see any money even if they did sue. Moo.

And when I said we know why, I am referring to the 2A. No other developed country in the world has the unique situation where a police officer has to consider that the person pulled over for a burnt out taillight or running a stop sign could kill them with a gun.

Yep, other countries, police don't even carry guns.

Yep, other countries, police don't even carry guns.
Perhaps LE from other countries can come to the US and give advice on how to perform their duties without using guns.

I’ve often wondered how LE in other countries pursue criminals or arrest offenders without using guns.

Whats the difference? Should all law enforcement officers in the US turn in their firearms?

I once had an instructor tell me in a class for the local volunteer ambulance crew that you will make mistakes, mistakes happen period, fact of life, but to remember that you were the one that showed up to help...those were big words when I was very young and they gave me pause. They sunk in. Did I leave the class? No. I wanted to be the kind of person that helps others. I didn't have any of the same responsibilities of the police or firematics personnel I worked with, but my decisions could be fatal for someone. And I had those decisions later. And you live with all your decisions, just like decisions you live with in your day to day life. If you come from a good place, you have to cut yourself a break or you will torture yourself. I do not know how people do not all burn out. Hard to judge others.

Perhaps LE from other countries can come to the US and give advice on how to perform their duties without using guns.

I’ve often wondered how LE in other countries pursue criminals or arrest offenders without using guns.

Whats the difference? Should all law enforcement officers in the US turn in their firearms?

There are many interesting articles and posts online from LE in other nations where they don’t carry guns. Just Google the key words and you’ll find them, as I did earlier today. Their methods seem to involve training in de-escalation, using other means to address things like routine traffic violations (like Wright’s) where the public is not in danger, having other officers on call to help when restraint of a suspect is needed, and so on.

But overwhelmingly, they cite a cultural predilection among wrongdoers to give up when the uniforms arrive; i.e., that it just isn’t worth it to flee or struggle. There isn’t the standard of individual gun ownership in these nations that we have in the U.S., which is probably the key factor. I don’t see that ever changing here.

That being said, I’ve often wondered why LE here in the United States couldn’t be armed ONLY with Tasers, or something like them. Then, “mistakes” like the one that ended so tragically (for all concerned) in this case couldn’t be made. Yes, an over-vigorous use of Tasers can be fatal, and yes, Tasers might not always disable a suspect long enough for them to be safely bundled off to the nearest police station, making it necessary to re-taze (if that’s a word), but maybe that’s a small price to pay for wrongful death and the social turmoil that often surrounds it when it happens — turmoil that unfairly rebounds on good cops doing good work in their communities, which I believe is most of them.

I don’t know the answer. Just tossing this out there. What do y’all think?

Last edited:
I 100% disagree with the verdicts. The sad situation was an obvious horrible mistake that was not from reckless/intentional behavior from Kim Potter.
Firing her gun instead of her taser was a horrible mistake.

Not directing Luckey to have DW step to the back of the vehicle when he had DW step out so he couldn't jump back in, was a reckless/ intentional decision.
Telling DW he had a warrant while Luckey was in the middle of cuffing him, was a reckless/intentional decision.
Firing into a vehicle that was running and had a driver in the driver's seat, was a reckless/intentional decision.
Shouting taser taser taser that caused one officer to let go of DW's arm and the other officer to let go of the gear shift so the car couldn't go anywhere, was a reckless/intentional decision.
Rolling on the ground and voicing concerns about going to prison rather than checking on the person she just shot and the other victims of the crash, was a reckless/intentional decision.

LE always has a chance of running against lethal weapons here because of our armed citizens. Some states treat domestic violence as a minor issue when in fact it’s one of the most dangerous situations they can get into. I wouldn’t dream of disarming our police, only insisting that they handle the power of firearms with the same degree of responsibility that they require of others. We treat gun “accidents” with velvet gloves much too often too and as I’ve said many times, people who own guns should be held to account for what these guns do regardless of many circumstances.

There are many interesting articles and posts online from LE in other nations where they don’t carry guns. Just Google the key words and you’ll find them, as I did earlier today. Their methods seem to involve training in de-escalation, using other means to address things like routine traffic violations (like Wright’s) where the public is not in danger, having other officers on call to help when restraint of a suspect is needed, and so on.

But overwhelmingly, they cite a cultural predilection among wrongdoers to give up when the uniforms arrive; i.e., that it just isn’t worth it to flee or struggle. There isn’t the standard of individual gun ownership in these nations that we have in the U.S., which is probably the key factor. I don’t see that ever changing here.

That being said, I’ve often wondered why LE here in the United States couldn’t be armed ONLY with Tasers, or something like them. Then, “mistakes” like the one that ended so tragically (for all concerned) in this case couldn’t be made. Yes, an over-vigorous use of Tasers can be fatal, and yes, Tasers might not always disable a suspect long enough for them to be safely bundled off to the nearest police station, making it necessary to re-taze (if that’s a word), but maybe that’s a small price to pay for wrongful death and the social turmoil that often surrounds it when it happens — turmoil that unfairly rebounds on good cops doing good work in their communities, which I believe is most of them.

I think you hit the nail on the proverbial head.

Interesting, I was just mulling this over yesterday, and thought, perhaps police would consider being disarmed if there were an automatic death penalty sentence given for someone who was found guilty of shooting and killing an officer, and an automatic LWOP for anyone guilty of shooting and injuring an officer. Moo.

Following on my earlier post on the subject of unarmed LE in other nations, I should have mentioned that under conditions such as armed hostage situations, these nations do have SWAT-type special forces that are appropriately armed and supported by military-style equipment and well—trained in subduing the threat with minimal, if any, “collateral damage.” It isn’t all daisy-in-the-helmet stuff in these countries.

Following on my earlier post on the subject of unarmed LE in other nations, I should have mentioned that under conditions such as armed hostage situations, these nations do have SWAT-type special forces that are appropriately armed and supported by military-style equipment and well—trained in subduing the threat with minimal, if any, “collateral damage.” It isn’t all daisy-in-the-helmet stuff in these countries.

And even then our armed police still occasionally get it wrong and fatally shoot a suspect. In a split second incident they have to make a call and training and instinct take over and afterwards they find out that the circumstances weren't what they thought they were but it's much less likely to be the wrong outcome the majority of the time.
Personally I am glad that our standard officers in the UK aren't armed and I can't ever imagine it being normal here but as pointed out upthread,our citizens aren't armed either (the normal everyday ones anyway).
We do have a massive knife crime problem here instead of our bigger cities though,its just a different kind of threat I guess.
My nephew is a police officer and as I said,I am glad he isn't armed as standard.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow
Back