MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #15 - Chauvin Trial Day 12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He's on his knees, he's handcuffed right? Yes. He then says thank you, and then he is pushed onto the ground, yes? Yes.

Would the position they pushed him into on the ground qualify as the side position recovery position was he not? Yes. And then he was taken out of that recovery position and moved to a prone position face down on pavement while handcuffed right? Yes.

State trying to get expert to admit one knee was on GF's neck and Back. Expert balks at that description saying knee upper back and neck. State showing a close up photo now, Gets him to say in exhibit 240 the knee is on the neck.

would you agree that Defendant's right knee is on back and left knee is on neck.

I think the defense did miss an opportunity here, but I’m not sure how the jury would have received it.

I don’t think he is/was challenged. I think people handle highly stressful situations differently and even from day to day. I think it’s possible he became distracted by everything going on and tuned out what was being said around him. I’m not sure distracted is even the word. I think this witness said it best, you should have your head on a swivel. Be aware of everything going on around you. And it’s a lot. It can be overwhelming no matter how experienced or well trained you are. Ten minutes can seem like 30 seconds OR it can seem like 7 days. I honestly don’t know what was going through DC’s mind, no one can know but him. I try to put myself in his shoes and I can only imagine what I might have done.

I really do believe this witness said best what I’ve tried explaining a couple of times.

Yes, I think that the phenomenon of perceptual salience might be relevant here, IMO

Salience (neuroscience) - Wikipedia

With regard to your points regarding accurate perception of time during high stress situations, I agree that it COULD be a factor here. It is a known phenomenon in the field of human factors (IMO)

Nelson & Associates :: Human Factors :: Reaction Time

I think that the case described below, although a medical negligence case, describes some of the factors that can effect human performance in complex situations. These issues COULD have been at play during the DC/GF case (IMO).

Last edited:
exh 947 is still capture from video clearly showing Chauvin's foot is completely raised from the pavement beneath it showing his weight is fully and purposefully on neck and back of GF.

Expert is claiming GF's movements pulled the foot off the ground.

Those movements are shown from the body cam angle now. GF is calling out that he can't breath and he feels like he will throw up.

Expert does not wish to admit that the foot of Chauvin off the pavement indicates added pressure to GF neck.

Yes, I think that the phenomenon of perceptual salience might be relevant here, IMO

Salience (neuroscience) - Wikipedia

With regard to your points regarding accurate perception of time during high stress situations, I agree that it could be a factor here. It is a known phenomenon in the field of human factors (IMO)

Nelson & Associates :: Human Factors :: Reaction Time

I think that the case described below, although a medical negligence case, describes some of the factors that can effect human performance in complex situations. These issues COULD have been at play during the DC/GF case (IMO).

Thank you. I didn’t know there was a term used for the phenomenon. To put into perspective, I suffer from ADHD and anxiety to name a few. Even treated I still experience symptoms of both in some capacity. I’m not implying DC suffered from either (or any) condition, but I’m sure these might contribute to why I’d react a certain way.

This is hard to watch. What the defense calls resisting is actual GF attempting to get at least one (handcuffed) hand beneath him enough to push up and relieve some of the pressure he is experiencing. Chauvin responds by adding more of his body weight to the hold and adjusts his other knee to also be on GF's center back while the other is pressing tightly on GF neck.
I have to stop watching this. I don't know how many times I can watch this man die today. It's very upsetting to watch those gasps and calls replayed over and over.

Thanks for all the comments to help me catch up folks.

Really wish there was another angle showing Nelson's face. What an expert cross this is. I almost feel like delivering this witness some milk and cookies for some comfort.
He doesn't seem like a milk and cookies kind of guy to me. He might need something a little stronger.

Thank you. I didn’t know there was a term used for the phenomenon. To put into perspective, I suffer from ADHD and anxiety to name a few. Even treated I still experience symptoms of both in some capacity. I’m not implying DC suffered from either (or any) condition, but I’m sure these might contribute to why I’d react a certain way.

I was trying to remember the correct term, and initially all I could think of was "time blindness". If you Google that term, the first results are in reference to ADHD ;):)

I find it interesting Mr. Brodd owns an expert witness services business. I would say his testimony went better for the prosecution than the defense.
It seems to me that he didn't do a very thorough review of the materials provided to him. I'd be asking for a refund of my $11,400, if I were on Chauvin's team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member