MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I have a life and don't check or updates hourly.

Dan Rassier said he saw a dark blue car with headlights that were close together drive up and around his driveway at almost the exact time of the abduction. In the passenger seat was a child or small woman. When he called 911 to report on the flashlights by the woodpile, he did not volunteer this information to the operator when told a child was abducted from his driveway. He also did not tell the cops at the woodpile that a car had come through there 2 hours prior. You seem to be ok with that.

Dan Rassier said he saw a dark blue car with headlights that were close together drive up and around his driveway at almost the exact time of the abduction. In the passenger seat was a child or small woman. When he called 911 to report on the flashlights by the woodpile, he did not volunteer this information to the operator when told a child was abducted from his driveway. He also did not tell the cops at the woodpile that a car had come through there 2 hours prior. You seem to be ok with that.

Yeah, what now FindTim?

Trino wrote"

"What sheriff or FBI agent gives out information to the public as to why a person is a POI? It would seem strange if they would do so, and I doubt they are going to share anything. If DR is innocent and information turns out to be false, LE would face millions in a lawsuit. Why would they open themselves up to something like this? "

This is wrong. Anyone who follows True Crime knows that LE frequent discloses a great deal of information in the course of an investigation and the public is often informed as to why someone is a "POI" and later, perhaps, why that POI is Ruled Out.

Actually, the tern "POI" has no objective meaning. It is generally understood to mean someone who they are taking a serious look at but has not been arrested. Often there are multiple POI's. If the investigation of a particular POI goes nowhere, such as having nothing turn up on a warranted search , that person can be officially Ruled Out or merely have the level of interest "downgraded". There are plenty ways to say this. One way is to say that they are considering "other" subjects. There are no hard and fast rules to how it is done. It is however, highly unusual to name someone as a POI in a high profile case, conduct a highly publicised search, which comes out with nothing and not lower his standing as a suspect or explain the basis for it. This may be a tactical ploy that may eventually be revealed or it is simply political "rear-end covering".

As to defending against a possible lawsuit, can anyone think of a single situation where someone has sued over the label of "POI" without actually being charged? Most people who have criminal charges dropped or are acquitted never sue. It would require evidence of wrong-doing on the part of law enforcement.

Trino wrote"

"What sheriff or FBI agent gives out information to the public as to why a person is a POI? It would seem strange if they would do so, and I doubt they are going to share anything. If DR is innocent and information turns out to be false, LE would face millions in a lawsuit. Why would they open themselves up to something like this? "

This is wrong. Anyone who follows True Crime knows that LE frequent discloses a great deal of information in the course of an investigation and the public is often informed as to why someone is a "POI" and later, perhaps, why that POI is Ruled Out.

Actually, the tern "POI" has no objective meaning. It is generally understood to mean someone who they are taking a serious look at but has not been arrested. Often there are multiple POI's. If the investigation of a particular POI goes nowhere, such as having nothing turn up on a warranted search , that person can be officially Ruled Out or merely have the level of interest "downgraded". There are plenty ways to say this. One way is to say that they are considering "other" subjects. There are no hard and fast rules to how it is done. It is however, highly unusual to name someone as a POI in a high profile case, conduct a highly publicised search, which comes out with nothing and not lower his standing as a suspect or explain the basis for it. This may be a tactical ploy that may eventually be revealed or it is simply political "rear-end covering".

As to defending against a possible lawsuit, can anyone think of a single situation where someone has sued over the label of "POI" without actually being charged? Most people who have criminal charges dropped or are acquitted never sue. It would require evidence of wrong-doing on the part of law enforcement.

Remember Richard Jewell and the Atlanta bombing? He sued. Of course, back then he was called a suspect - same thing.

Trino wrote"

So... following your thinking, DR has not been downgraded or "ruled out" because something DID turn up in their warranted search, and that's why he is still a POI. They only named him a POI in 2010 after the search of the farm and his house. So it has only been 4 years, not exactly a long time. IMO, they found enough in DR's room and outside in the loft to name him a POI. LE is under no obligation to let the members of WS or anyone else know what they found while the case is still active.

Remember Richard Jewell and the Atlanta bombing? He sued. Of course, back then he was called a suspect - same thing.

Richard Jewell sued his employer, Piedmont college, and some media outlets but he did not sue any law enforcement agency that I am aware of.

It's time. It's time to hear some ground facts about this case from LE. They named him poi in 2009, its 2014 and we need to find out why. I applaud them for giving us the hubers, but lets get back down to earth, why is DR still POI?

(Snipped by me for brevity)

Seriously? There's been many cases. I don't recall all the names, I'm sure some of the sleuths on here will; but...

1. Sandra Cantu, the little girl in the trailer court in Tracy, CA who was abducted, raped, murdered, and stuffed in a suitcase by Melissa Huckaby. Before her arrest, Huckaby lived at the same mobile home park as Cantu, and she is the mother of a 5-year-old daughter, who was Sandra's best friend. Sandra was last seen on surveillance camera skipping home and then stopping and walking toward Melissa's home. (So Melissa grabbed her in front of her own home.) As far as reputation, Huckaby worked as a Sunday school teacher for five children, in the church where her grandfather served as a minister. She raped and killed sandra in that church (or under it).
http://abcnews.go.com/US/Media/meli...er-year-girl-sentenced-life/story?id=10910285

2. Alanna Gallagher: Tyler Holder, 17, sexually assaulted his 6 year old neighbor Alanna Gallagher before suffocating her with plastic bags. He grabbed her from his own driveway. She was a friendly child and often wandered around the neighborhood.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...y-details-6-year-old-murder-article-1.1407704

Those are just two I can think of quickly, I know there are many more. No steak dinner required, thanks.
I could write a long list, but I'll just add one more. Jessica Lunsford. John Couey kidnapped her from her bedroom, and held her captive in his sister's house across the street where he lived at the time, and beneath which he eventually buried Jessie in plastic trash bags.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/03/07/girl.slain/

Richard Jewell sued his employer, Piedmont college, and some media outlets but he did not sue any law enforcement agency that I am aware of.

His original plans called for suing the FBI, but his lawyers convinced him it would be easier to get a judgment against news agencies. Nevertheless, his reputation was ruined. The point is that today news media, as well as LE, do not give out information as in the past.

His original plans called for suing the FBI, but his lawyers convinced him it would be easier to get a judgment against news agencies. Nevertheless, his reputation was ruined. The point is that today news media, as well as LE, do not give out information as in the past.

I think he got a lot of sympathy as well as job offers. I think it worked out for him.

But his situation set the standard for LE and what info is given out.

What now? How bout that fact you're all speculating on what was said on the UNRECORDED 911 call. Tell me more speculation and hearsay and I'll stick with the facts.

People don't steal wood 2x2.

It really doesn't matter what you would do or think as a parent. The fact remains these incidents did occur and happened just prior to Jacob's abduction. Why hasn't this been talked about on the board? These boys reported this to their parents who reported it to LE, yet I never heard about this.

And you know what, it doesn't matter WHAT TIME after dark you let you're kids go a mile down a road, it's still wrong. You might as well throw the Wetterling parents under the bus because it really doesn't matter if it's midnight or 9:15, it's near pitch out in late October.

I must be bizarro parent of the year, but it would have been a cold day you know where that I would have allowed a 12 year old to wander around at midnight. Who does that?

And what kind of info do you get from mailboxes at night? It is hard enough to read them in the daytime.

Findtim,

Would you mind directly answering why dr didnt remember the small dark blue car when he made the 911 call?

Again, these aren't apples to apples cases. Couey wasn't a longstanding member of the community nor a permanent resident.

Holder had a long history of trouble, something Rassier has never been associated with. And I can't find where the assault and murder took place.

Huckaby took her victim to another place to commit those atrocities.

Either way, these cases differ from the events that took place at the end of DR's driveway.

I could write a long list, but I'll just add one more. Jessica Lunsford. John Couey kidnapped her from her bedroom, and held her captive in his sister's house across the street where he lived at the time, and beneath which he eventually buried Jessie in plastic trash bags.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/03/07/girl.slain/

Please post the 911 call transcript from when DR called in that evening and I'll address everything fully that's in it. If you can't find that than there's no obligation to answer by me what may or may not have been said during that call.

And BTW, how convenient is it for LE to have "lost" or not recorded this. I would wager that what he said helps his case as opposed to hurting it. Therefore it's convenient that its missing.

And lets not forget the mess LE made of the officer Tom Decker slaying, and how they've completely ruined Ryan Larson's life. And for their convenience, the case remains "open" as to not allow Larson the ability to sue them.

Findtim,

Would you mind directly answering why dr didnt remember the small dark blue car when he made the 911 call?

It really doesn't matter what you would do or think as a parent. The fact remains these incidents did occur and happened just prior to Jacob's abduction. Why hasn't this been talked about on the board? These boys reported this to their parents who reported it to LE, yet I never heard about this.

And you know what, it doesn't matter WHAT TIME after dark you let you're kids go a mile down a road, it's still wrong. You might as well throw the Wetterling parents under the bus because it really doesn't matter if it's midnight or 9:15, it's near pitch out in late October.

And we know these incidents happened because Joy reported them? Joy is reliable and accurate because................

Again, these aren't apples to apples cases. Couey wasn't a longstanding member of the community nor a permanent resident.

Holder had a long history of trouble, something Rassier has never been associated with. And I can't find where the assault and murder took place.

Either way, these cases differ from the events that took place at the end of DR's driveway.

Huh?

People are giving examples of what happened at the end of a driveway. I believe the request was to show if that has ever happened.

Obviously it has and even more.

It is not worth the effort to look them up because the postings are ruled irrelevant no matter what

Does anyone know of any cases where a relative was a high profile LE to the POI?

What happens with the info and the investigation?

We have no info that DR has a spotless life.

LE may have complaints that are past the expiration date.

He was named POI so many years later that any people involved could be out of the state, country , or deceased, This is news in Minnesota, but I bet someone in Mississippi, for instance, has no clue

He was on no one's radar screen for years.

Look how long it took for a Sandusky victim to come forward. Sandusky was high high profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734