MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm confused as to why people are so awe struck at the masters degree timeline. Apparently he is very, very talented and my own Governor Scott Walker has a degree he didn't even earn. US education system is like that sometimes.

Also some places don't require the teaching license to be hired, it could have been a part time job paid like a coach of a team.

I'm not trying to be negative or hurt the topic, just wondering if that isn't keeping the facts from getting the proper attention here.

1. DR has reported on HIS Linked with his own words that he got his Master's in 11 months.

But, in the article about his running, HE says he has lived in St.Joe for all but the TWO years he was in grad school. HE has stated this.

2. You cannot be a teacher in Minnesota without a teaching license UNLESS you are at a private school. HE reported on HIS Linked that he has taught in Ricori for 36 years STARTING in 1978.

HIS teaching license is not recorded until 1989.

As a teacher in Minnesota, I know how this works.

I started before him and my license is correctly recorded in the State data base, so it is not a matter of pre computer.

When you start a teaching job in MN, you present the physical copy of your license which is kept on file in the file on each teacher.

Every five years, you must renew your license with 125 hours of renewal units. He has done that consistently since 1989.

So there are 11 missing years based on what HE reportd. He was NOT teaching in a Minnesota public school

human, what if DR, monks and all other offenders were a part of a loose knit group that talked by cb radio. DR maybe announced on the cb that there were kids riding past? Would that seem plausible?

That could be possible.

What about the frequency?

Would there be issues with people overhearing?

My Dad had one for his boat and I did not pay much attention except to know that at some time some frequencies were not allowed.

He had an older one and my mother and hubby were so happy that he still had the old model with whatever that meant. I think it was back in the 70's.

I am probably making zero sense because all I know is there was an issue with CB's.

I can see monks having them to communicate on the grounds. It would make sense.

I wonder what the range would be of the CB?

Then of course there is the ham radio as well.

Are there monks who have them?

I think a regular phone can be used to talk with a ham radio person?

My neighbor has one and I think at one time I was with him and he did something in conjunction with a ham radio and a regular phone, although he said it was only for emergencies.

Once again vague, because I was not interested.

1. DR has reported on HIS Linked with his own words that he got his Master's in 11 months.

But, in the article about his running, HE says he has lived in St.Joe for all but the TWO years he was in grad school. HE has stated this.

2. You cannot be a teacher in Minnesota without a teaching license UNLESS you are at a private school. HE reported on HIS Linked that he has taught in Ricori for 36 years STARTING in 1978.

HIS teaching license is not recorded until 1989.

As a teacher in Minnesota, I know how this works.

I started before him and my license is correctly recorded in the State data base, so it is not a matter of pre computer.

When you start a teaching job in MN, you present the physical copy of your license which is kept on file in the file on each teacher.

Every five years, you must renew your license with 125 hours of renewal units. He has done that consistently since 1989.

So there are 11 missing years based on what HE reportd. He was NOT teaching in a Minnesota public school

Is it possible he was a teaching assistant or something?

We discussed much of this back in 2010 when DR was first publicly named a person of interest (when it was first printed in MSM). In this post it was stated DR was a tutor at St. John's Prep. (I think that is considered a private school?)

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...St-Joseph-22-Oct-1989-3&p=5473394#post5473394

Also some interesting reading in that 2010 section that answers some of the questions we have discussed lately.

Is it possible he was a teaching assistant or something?

We discussed much of this back in 2010 when DR was first publicly named a person of interest (when it was first printed in MSM). In this post it was stated DR was a tutor at St. John's Prep. (I think that is considered a private school?)

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...St-Joseph-22-Oct-1989-3&p=5473394#post5473394

Also some interesting reading in that 2010 section that answers some of the questions we have discussed lately.

A tutor at St. John's prepr! Wow!

Why is he hiding that info?

That page is filled with info!

The running trails!

Just wow!

I went back to the WS Jacob Wetterling #1 post 322 by lotus 10/9/09

lotus quotes but does not identify two News articles that appear to be from 2004:

"Below are some snippets from a couple news articles from back when the car theory was abandoned that would seem to suggest that the authorities have at least a few suspects in mind, which makes me wonder if the true perp could be among them but the authorities are perhaps having difficulty with obtaining concrete evidence against him... :waitasec:

"ST. JOSEPH, MINN -- After more than 14 years of frustration, Patty Wetterling reacted with caution and weary optimism Wednesday to a new development in the abduction of her 11-year-old son Jacob.

Wetterling and her husband, Jerry, met with Stearns County Sheriff John Sanner for about an hour at the office of the foundation named for Jacob, who was abducted near their home in 1989.

She said the latest development suggests that someone living near the abduction site took Jacob, giving less credence to previous theories that someone in a car had driven off with him.

Wetterling called the development "significant" and said authorities "have reason to apply pressure, but not too much pressure" to a local man who has been interviewed by investigators."

"A new theory that the kidnapper could have been on foot and lived near the rural St. Joseph abduction site has developed.

New information from the driver of a long-sought vehicle reportedly seen at the abduction site allowed investigators to rule out the involvement of that vehicle in the abduction.

Sheriff John Sanner said investigators have been reexamining suspects who couldn't be ruled out earlier. He also said the information didn't completely rule out that a vehicle was used but did diminish that possibility.

The suspects investigators are talking with have been identified for years as potential suspects, he said.

The new information is allowing investigators to focus on a smaller group of possible suspects, Sanner said.

Investigators are continuing to interview people, gather additional evidence and receive new information, Sanner said. Sanner declined Thursday to give details of the interviews or evidence"

I wish the original documents were identified but the quotes attributed to Sheriff Sanner seem to establish the following:

While Kevin's information opens up the possibility that there was no vehicle in the abduction, it doesn't eliminate the possibility.
Sanner refers to multiple local su
spects but obviously has his sights set on one: DR.
Patty Wetterling is quoted as saying that LE was going to apply pressure on this "local man"
Sanner does use the term "suspects".

In 2010, a high profile search of DR's property was conducted and DR was labeled POI. At that point everyone in St Joseph knew he was "under suspicion". At the same time, DR came forward to publicly deny the charge and and attempt to clear his name. This is the point WS activity picked up and has continued ever since. I was aware of Jacob's case but did not follow it until 2010 when reports I read suggested it was about to be solved. The more I learned, the more it appeared that DR was probably uninvolved and something more "interesting" than a Cold Case being solved was going on: an innocent man was being railroaded.

I went back to the WS Jacob Wetterling #1 post 322 by lotus 10/9/09

lotus quotes but does not identify two News articles that appear to be from 2004:

"Below are some snippets from a couple news articles from back when the car theory was abandoned that would seem to suggest that the authorities have at least a few suspects in mind, which makes me wonder if the true perp could be among them but the authorities are perhaps having difficulty with obtaining concrete evidence against him... :waitasec:

"ST. JOSEPH, MINN -- After more than 14 years of frustration, Patty Wetterling reacted with caution and weary optimism Wednesday to a new development in the abduction of her 11-year-old son Jacob.

Wetterling and her husband, Jerry, met with Stearns County Sheriff John Sanner for about an hour at the office of the foundation named for Jacob, who was abducted near their home in 1989.

She said the latest development suggests that someone living near the abduction site took Jacob, giving less credence to previous theories that someone in a car had driven off with him.

Wetterling called the development "significant" and said authorities "have reason to apply pressure, but not too much pressure" to a local man who has been interviewed by investigators."

"A new theory that the kidnapper could have been on foot and lived near the rural St. Joseph abduction site has developed.

New information from the driver of a long-sought vehicle reportedly seen at the abduction site allowed investigators to rule out the involvement of that vehicle in the abduction.

Sheriff John Sanner said investigators have been reexamining suspects who couldn't be ruled out earlier. He also said the information didn't completely rule out that a vehicle was used but did diminish that possibility.

The suspects investigators are talking with have been identified for years as potential suspects, he said.

The new information is allowing investigators to focus on a smaller group of possible suspects, Sanner said.

Investigators are continuing to interview people, gather additional evidence and receive new information, Sanner said. Sanner declined Thursday to give details of the interviews or evidence"

I wish the original documents were identified but the quotes attributed to Sheriff Sanner seem to establish the following:

While Kevin's information opens up the possibility that there was no vehicle in the abduction, it doesn't eliminate the possibility.
Sanner refers to multiple local su
spects but obviously has his sights set on one: DR.
Patty Wetterling is quoted as saying that LE was going to apply pressure on this "local man"
Sanner does use the term "suspects".

In 2010, a high profile search of DR's property was conducted and DR was labeled POI. At that point everyone in St Joseph knew he was "under suspicion". At the same time, DR came forward to publicly deny the charge and and attempt to clear his name. This is the point WS activity picked up and has continued ever since. I was aware of Jacob's case but did not follow it until 2010 when reports I read suggested it was about to be solved. The more I learned, the more it appeared that DR was probably uninvolved and something more "interesting" than a Cold Case being solved was going on: an innocent man was being railroaded.

Why pick on DR when there are far easier targets? Actual identified criminals. Many criminals.

So much more palatable.

And don't forget DR comes from a very well respected family with many incredibly talented siblings.

Why pick on him?

I would go for the easily acceptable criminal with priors and no alibi.

Why pick on DR when there are far easier targets? Actual identified criminals. Many criminals.

So much more palatable.

And don't forget DR comes from a very well respected family with many incredibly talented siblings.

Why pick on him?

I would go for the easily acceptable criminal with priors and no alibi.

I'm not saying DR is some kind of a scapegoat. If there was no vehicle used, the Perp took Jacob in the direction of DR's home and not in the direction of anyone else's home. This makes him a legitimate POI. The term "POI" doesn't really mean a lot. There apparently were other POI's whose names never became public. They didn't all abduct Jacob and very possibly, none of them did. The real significance of the term "POI" is that when LE attaches that label to a know person, it is an open invitation for for that person to be shunned in the community, sleuthed on Web Sites, fired from their job or otherwise experience serious "pressure" that might prompt them into making a mistake that will give them away.

A person with some standing in the community is the perfect subject for this ploy. Anyone who has experience with the Criminal Justice Systems knows whats going on and is better prepared to deal with it. Anyone with a reputation of being a low life scoundrel isn't going to notice people treating him any differently.

The hope is that the POI will break down and confess; usually concocting a version of events that mitigates their crime. If that doesn't happen, the POI might still run, commit suicide, or take some sort of action to cover up the crime that will expose them.

I'm not sure what was going on in St. Joseph between 2003 and 2010. My guess is that DR know he was under suspicion but his name had not turned up in any media reports. Were there rumors and finger pointing going on? Locals might know.

Some folks are convinced that Sheriff Sanner wouldn't have gone public About DR unless he was SURE. Not necessarily so but even if he is SURE, he still might not be right. But he also has his career to worry about. "Clearing" DR at this point would damage his reputation and hurt his re-election hopes. It would mean that he was heavy-handed with a respected citizen, had wasted a lot of money on futile searches and he had made no progress in solving the Jacob case.

I'm sure their are voters in Stearns Co that are thinking along my lines. There are others who assume he "must have something". Realistically, if he had anything, it would be disclosed, leaked, insinuated, hinted at, Something. I'm willing to bet he has NOTHING, nothing except a hunch.

I'm not saying DR is some kind of a scapegoat. If there was no vehicle used, the Perp took Jacob in the direction of DR's home and not in the direction of anyone else's home. This makes him a legitimate POI. The term "POI" doesn't really mean a lot. There apparently were other POI's whose names never became public. They didn't all abduct Jacob and very possibly, none of them did. The real significance of the term "POI" is that when LE attaches that label to a know person, it is an open invitation for for that person to be shunned in the community, sleuthed on Web Sites, fired from their job or otherwise experience serious "pressure" that might prompt them into making a mistake that will give them away.

A person with some standing in the community is the perfect subject for this ploy. Anyone who has experience with the Criminal Justice Systems knows whats going on and is better prepared to deal with it. Anyone with a reputation of being a low life scoundrel isn't going to notice people treating him any differently.

The hope is that the POI will break down and confess; usually concocting a version of events that mitigates their crime. If that doesn't happen, the POI might still run, commit suicide, or take some sort of action to cover up the crime that will expose them.

I'm not sure what was going on in St. Joseph between 2003 and 2010. My guess is that DR know he was under suspicion but his name had not turned up in any media reports. Were there rumors and finger pointing going on? Locals might know.

Some folks are convinced that Sheriff Sanner wouldn't have gone public About DR unless he was SURE. Not necessarily so but even if he is SURE, he still might not be right. But he also has his career to worry about. "Clearing" DR at this point would damage his reputation and hurt his re-election hopes. It would mean that he was heavy-handed with a respected citizen, had wasted a lot of money on futile searches and he had made no progress in solving the Jacob case.

I'm sure their are voters in Stearns Co that are thinking along my lines. There are others who assume he "must have something". Realistically, if he had anything, it would be disclosed, leaked, insinuated, hinted at, Something. I'm willing to bet he has NOTHING, nothing except a hunch.

Good points about being a POI. I think LE has a couple boxes, six truckloads of dirt, umbrella stand, cedar chest, journal, vcr tapes, hard drive, newpaper clippings, photos, and a folder or two on DR at this time.

Wasn't it some people at the BCA that discovered the new info?

The Sheriff is county.

BCA is State. BCA is not located in the same county. It is quite a ways away from St. Joe.

The items were sifted out .

08-10-2010, 11:56 AM #13 margaret_diane
Banned
There was some confusion earlier as to what investigators were sending to the lab for further testing -- we weren't sure if it was:
- items from the property
- items found in the ash

This article clarifies that it is items found in sifted ash being sent for further testing.

http://wnmtradio.com/news/articles/2...interest-dirt/

Do you know how far it is from Jacob's house to the College of St. Benedict?

This may be of interest
08-16-2010, 06:50 PM #28 shergal

Here's the link from earlier on WS:
Found this interesting since DR is a runner. These are all running trails designed by DR. Some lead from his farm to St. John's Abbey, and to a chapel at St. John's which is out in the woods on a lake there. One leads to a park and cemetery area behind St. Ben's college. One leads from his farm to Cold Spring school. Just shows how well he knows that whole area.
http://www.run.com/city.asp?dest=Saint+Joseph+MN

There seemed to be a question if DR was actually "named a POI" publicly by Sheriff Sanner in 2010. Here is proof from the St. Paul Pioneer Press, that Sheriff Sanner did indeed publicly name DR a person of interest on July 3, 2010. It was in several newspapers in MN, not just told to one reporter.

St. Paul Pioneer Press (MN)

July 3, 2010
Edition: St. Paul
Section: Main
Page: A1

Wetterling case 'person of interest' ID'd

Sheriff names man on farm where '89 abduction occurred

"The Stearns County sheriff said Friday that a 54-year-old resident of St. Joseph is a "person of interest" in the 21-year-old disappearance case of Jacob Wetterling."

<modsnip>

http://www.deadzoom.com/member/samiping/officialPOI.jpg

Source of archived article: http://nl.newsbank.com/

Wasn't it some people at the BCA that discovered the new info?

The Sheriff is county.

BCA is State. BCA is not located in the same county. It is quite a ways away from St. Joe.

From what I can tell, BCA does support work including Forensics. Stearns County maintains jurisdiction and all information would be relayed to the LE agency with jurisdiction which is apparently Stearns Co Sheriff Dept. The Stearns County Sheriff (Sanner) would be the only person with authority to disclose this sort of information.

I'm sure most of the stuff Sasquatch reports has been retained by Stearns County Sheriff Dept is kept in their evidence room. I wonder about six truckloads of dirt. There are rather strict rules about chain of evidence and if they are not followed, the dirt, or anything found in the dirt, would be inadmissible.

There is a lot of contention over the retention of "evidence" secured through a search. Since LE has a great deal of leeway over what they can retain, there is a tendency to "err on the side of caution" and keep anything that could conceivably be of value. Once there is a trial, evidence can be retained indefinitely in case of an appeal. If the Prosecutor or LE agency doesn't want to give something up, you have to go to court and may cost some money. Often, it just isn't worth it.

There are times when LE agencies have been accused of retaining 'evidence" as just a form of petty harassment.

My understanding is that the cedar chest and umbrella stand tested positive for blood but these were probably trace amounts and there was no way to identify whose blood it was. I guess they are hoping for improved technology to eventually id the blood. They probably are thinking along the same lines with the dirt.

Presumably the other stuff doesn't contain any smoking guns. If there was any clear evidence pertaining to involvement in Jacob's abduction or if there was child *advertiser censored* or anything else that was illegal, DR would have been charged. Any clippings or other information pertaining to the Case would be retained but it would mean very little. If the biggest crime to occur in our town happened on our driveway, how many of us would have retained a "record of it". Probably most of us.

Journals, hard drives, photos vcr's etc can be a sort of window to someone's inner life. It would be useful to have, particularly if DR eventually went to trial even if they contained no direct evidence of the crime.

There is the possibility that they may contain evidence that DR had "unsavory" interests but were not evidence that he broke the law. Anything that was at all pertinent to the investigation could be released to the media. I can not imagine anything that might suggest a sexual interest in children not being fully disclosed. Other "things" such as "non-traditional" sexual interest not involving children are a sort of grey area. A lot of things can be used against you at a trial that have nothing to do with the crime. Prosecutors love to show that kind of stuff to juries if the judge will allow it.

Of course, the real issue we are discussing is: "is there something in that collected "fruit" of the search that is suggestive that DR is guilty of Jacob's abduction but is insufficient to file charges, and if so, is there a compelling reason to not disclose the nature of this evidence to the public?"

Question for you -- as I was researching the case, I came across detailed info about Seitz -- I knew things were found in his home but wow, when I read the detailed report, I was rather astonished that he was not connected to any crimes -- given that they found hair samples, a small bone, children's shoes, etc. Just wanted to know your thoughts about this. Thank you!

http://nl.newsbank.com/

St. Paul Pioneer Press (MN)

July 2, 2010
Edition: St. Paul
Section: Main
Page: A1

Ralph Bell, a former Newsleader editor, wrote the 2008 profile of Rassier. At the time, he said Thursday, he didn't know police had searched the family's farm previously or taken a DNA sample from Rassier.

But knowing that Rassier lived near the site of the abduction, Bell said he asked, "It must have been quite a night there for you and your parents, with all the hubbub going on?"

Bell said Rassier replied that his parents were overseas at the time.

"I said, 'You must have heard something?' " Bell said. "There were helicopters, sirens going off. He said, 'No, I was asleep.' "

MY COMMENTS:

HUH! He was sleeping and searching at the same time?

Question for you -- as I was researching the case, I came across detailed info about Seitz -- I knew things were found in his home but wow, when I read the detailed report, I was rather astonished that he was not connected to any crimes -- given that they found hair samples, a small bone, children's shoes, etc. Just wanted to know your thoughts about this. Thank you!

This has been discussed quite a bit on here.

He lived by Milwaukee which is quite a drive.

I forget if it is 6 or 8 hours. I looked it up,and put it on here not too long ago.

I have taken that route quite often, though not back in that time.

It is busy as it is a route to Chicago. Filled with semi's.

And road construction, Always.

Other things on the way are the Dells and the House on the Rock, Spring Green and a military thing. I forget what now. Lots of traffic.

Madison also.

Isn't it difficult for pedophiles to stop their behavior? Even if one made the argument that DR took advantage of the situation with his parents being away -- how could it be accounted for that he hasn't done anything in the ensuing years?

This has been discussed quite a bit on here.

He lived by Milwaukee which is quite a drive.

I forget if it is 6 or 8 hours. I looked it up,and put it on here not too long ago.

I have taken that route quite often, though not back in that time.

It is busy as it is a route to Chicago. Filled with semi's.

And road construction, Always.

Other things on the way are the Dells and the House on the Rock, Spring Green and a military thing. I forget what now. Lots of traffic.

Madison also.

The military base is Fort McCoy. House on The Rock, near Spring Green, would be on the west side of Madison, quite out of the way if going to Milwaukee from the Twin Cities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leeloocee