MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's great that The Hunt captured your interest in this case. It was a good program to keep talking Jacob, but was very disappointing to many because it's focus was rather narrow.

Regarding POI vs suspect, it may be because they're not sure if he was involved directly, or covering for some unknown person, or had nothing whatsoever to do with it.
The Hunt was focused on the "Paynesville incidents." As far as I can tell, Joy has written down 13 events after emailing with people that said they were attacked.

I'm still waiting for her to connect Paynesville to Jacob.

Your responses are besides the point. They knew they were at the crime scene either minutes before or after and never came forward in the immediate aftermath.

I think it's right on point. What did LE or anyone do that would prompt Kevin to come forward? LE never asked for anything in regards to prints or vehicles at the abduction scene. How were Kevin or his girlfriend to know that the cop by the dentist office didn't report that there was a silver Pontiac that self-reported? You would think LE would follow up on that.

And all of this begs the other question, which is why didn't LE ask for help in finding the two cars that DR said he saw in his driveway that day?? IMO this is the most baffling aspect of this case.

Elocsol,

1. Kevin didn't really go out of his way to talk to a cop that night. It was by chance he/gf saw a St. Joseph's car sitting at Cotton's dentist office by the Tom Thumb. At that point they were more curious/nosy, but did mention they saw bikes on the road by the Rassier farm (which, again, the bikes were in a ditch across the road from the Rassier farm. Imo that proximity is key.

OK, maybe not so much out of his way - but the point is, he did pull into a driveway to tell a cop what he had seen.

2. According to Kevin's story, his brother told him the next day that the FBI was making plaster cases of tracks found in the driveway. That should have been more than enough information for one of those 4 people who knew Kevin/gf drove down that driveway. A white van was publicly sought and any information relating to the scene that night...

A van was sought, but it was a light brown or light tan van, not white, and that van was seen several times, months earlier, over by Kraemer Lake. It was not reported to have been seen in the Wetterling neighborhood. Even so, if LE was looking for a van, it means they weren't looking for his girlfriend's silver colored Pontiac.....

I respect your input and know there were many reports, but according to Joy's writings it was a WHITE WORK van (sorry I'm not allowed to paste the direct quote, but it can be found here http://www.joybaker.com/2013/03/20/the-next-day/)
Further, what I recall from memory was that we were looking for a WHITE van (source is my memory, which is often incorrect ;)

Imo it wasn't the color or make of the vehicle that was important- it was the tire tracks

And all of this begs the other question, which is why didn't LE ask for help in finding the two cars that DR said he saw in his driveway that day?? IMO this is the most baffling aspect of this case.

Because he went through 4 contacts with LE before saying anything. In fact, they went to him. Open your trunk, now lets go into the principals office and talk, ohhh you saw the kidnapper then? But you just figured you would go to bed and work without telling us?

I respect your input and know there were many reports, but according to Joy's writings it was a WHITE WORK van (sorry I'm not allowed to paste the direct quote, but it can be found here http://www.joybaker.com/2013/03/20/the-next-day/)
Further, what I recall from memory was that we were looking for a WHITE van (source is my memory, which is often incorrect ;)

Imo it wasn't the color or make of the vehicle that was important- it was the tire tracks

I hear ya'. At that point she wasn't looking at articles, just talking to people. I think a tan van quickly translates to any light colored van, and white vans being more popular....they probably just "took over" in the public eye.

I hear ya'. At that point she wasn't looking at articles, just talking to people. I think a tan van quickly translates to any light colored van, and white vans being more popular....they probably just "took over" in the public eye.

There was a white van but it was found not to be involved. Just a family.

There are inaccuracies in many of the writer's I have seen so that inaccuracy is not surprising. Even the Hunt had issues

LE Sure wasn't interested in talking to him the night Jacob was abducted. Why should he care to talk to them the following day?

It was DR that approached LE twice that night. He called 911 once and he walked right up to a police officer at the wood pile who dismissed him. After two failed attempts to get answers that night I would go to bed too!!

Because he went through 4 contacts with LE before saying anything. In fact, they went to him. Open your trunk, now lets go into the principals office and talk, ohhh you saw the kidnapper then? But you just figured you would go to bed and work without telling us?

LE Sure wasn't interested in talking to him the night Jacob was abducted. Why should he care to talk to them the following day?

It was DR that approached LE twice that night. He called 911 once and he walked right up to a police officer at the wood pile who dismissed him. After two failed attempts to get answers that night I would go to bed too!!

Do you have references to show LE dismissed him?

Wouldn't someone who cares ( obviously with his collection of Jacob stuff) be more interested?

Totally.

Jared posted an interesting comment on Joy's blog.
I deeply respect his efforts and willingness to speak about what happened to him.
Something his attacker said to him really sticks w/me: "it's ok to talk about this". (Joys blog, Kevins story). Somehow, this to me means Jared's perp wanted to be known as the anon attacker (proud of his 'accomplishment') I can't help but wonder if Jared's attacker hung out in a sleezy place (Red Carpet) and bragged about what he'd done and how he did it.
Imagine him saying "dude...I got a gun and just told the kid 'don't look back or I'll shoot!'" to another creep who copied this MO.
I think it's entirely possible there were two different perps who somehow knew/of one another
Like, imagine someone in LE getting the idea to copy this MO after hearing about Jared's attack...

It's just all coming together, slowly. I'm actually surprised that I'm the only one paying attention to it.

I do not consider DR a viable suspect. No one committing that sort of crime would approach a group of three boys near the end of his own driveway. A single boy whom he intended to kill, maybe—but three, leaving two of them to provide a description of the perp and to identify the abduction site? No way. DR is a red herring, so how he acted or didn't act is irrelevant.
He may be an intentional red herring by LE if they have another suspect who they're hoping will grow complacent and give himself away somehow.

Are you stating that DR had a "collection of Jacob stuff" BEFORE he was abducted? Could you back that up with references?

Do you have references to show LE dismissed him?

Wouldn't someone who cares ( obviously with his collection of Jacob stuff) be more interested?

I do not consider DR a viable suspect. No one committing that sort of crime would approach a group of three boys near the end of his own driveway. A single boy whom he intended to kill, maybe—but three, leaving two of them to provide a description of the perp and to identify the abduction site? No way. DR is a red herring, so how he acted or didn't act is irrelevant.
He may be an intentional red herring by LE if they have another suspect who they're hoping will grow complacent and give himself away somehow.

I do, because he is a suspect. The abductor was wearing black nylons over his face and spoke as though he had a cold. And just to put into perspective how often the neighbors see or know DR, the wetterlings who live .5 miles away from him, rarely saw him and had no conversation with him for 21 years. Their farm is tucked away behind a woods, they are rarely seen, especially DR.

" The use of a mask suggested to some that the kidnapper might have been known in the community and was trying to shield his identity. Perhaps the boys even knew him. But the boys were in close physical proximity to the kidnapper, and heard his voice several times. They never identified the criminal as someone in particular."

You can't identify a voice if the boys or the family never knew their neighbor until after the abduction.

http://www.immelman.us/news/jacob-wetterling-latest-news/

Items seized in search

Dan Rassier said investigators took ash from a burn pit in the backyard, which could have included animal remains. They also took items from a storage shed, including a clothing chest, a lawn chair and the bottom of an umbrella stand. From inside the house, Rassier said officers took a box of his personal items that included personal notes, pictures and news clippings relating to Wetterling’s abduction.

BCA spokeswoman Jill Oliveira confirmed that some testing is still under way on several items. But she could not say what those items are or what type of testing is being done. She also could not provide details on how long testing will take.

Investigators spent a week sifting through the soil and sent what they found to the BCA labs.

Despite the setback of not finding any new evidence in the searches over the summer, Sanner said he remains motivated to solve the case.

"If I was the suspect, I wouldn’t take this as a signal to relax", Sanner said.

Me either, he didn't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members