MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Retired NYPD detective James Rothstein was known for arresting Watergate figure Frank Sturgis. Rothstein believes that Sturgis was also involved in the assassination of JFK. Not much of a conspiracy theorist myself, but I gotta admit that 3 shots and 3 strikes from Oswald's rifle are a little much to swallow.

Anyhow - Mr Rothstein is known to be have investigated abductions and child sex crimes in the midwest, most notably that of Johnny Gosch. Rothstein has noted that Jacob Wetterling delivered newspapers, as did Gosch and another child abducted from Des Moines. Rothstein has said he has interviewed another MN boy who escaped from an attempted abduction just prior to Jacob's.

In a November 28, 2007 article from the Paynesville Press, Mr. Rothstein has harsh words for LE. Below is an excerpt from the article.

The Wetterling investigation was an example, Rothstein said, of an
incomplete effort. “All the stuff the cops should have done, they didn’t
do,” he said. Rothstein said he offered his information and all the
credit to the appropriate law enforcement agency, but “they just
spit and sputter when I talk to them.”

“Nobody holds the cops to the fire,” he said. “There is no crime if
no one looks at it,” he added. “What bothers me the most is you
have all these kids who are disappearing, and the cases aren’t solved.
There is no such thing as an unsolvable case,” he said.

When he was a cop, they might not have been able to gather enough evidence to prosecute, but they always found what happened, he said.
“Kids don’t just disappear,” Rothstein said. Kids talk, so how
come so many of these cases are unknown and even more are
unsolved, he wonders. Why has Jackie Theel (who disappeared
from Paynesville in 1944) never been found, he asked. Why
has the Jacob Wetterling abduction never been solved, he continued.
The public, instead of pressuring the police for results, appears in
denial. “It’s the ostrich effect. Bury your head, and it’ll go away,” he said

I remember there being another boy who escaped being abducted right before Jacob, they was some mention of it when they were first looking for Jacob.

I read about that Jackie Theel case when i was googling around for Paynesville info. I'd think that was even more unusual back then. You think of the boys Devlin had, and other young boys from the midwest that have been taken, I'm sure we never hear about all of them.

I don't think so. There was very little information in that article from Feb 1989 - not enough so that a copy cat could have developed from the article itself.

Shergal has a good point though - if the schools released more info to teachers at the time, that could have been a source of "learning" the crime enough to copy it.

My point is that everyone knew Jared was abducted and assaulted. All they had back then was gossip and it sounds like an inept police dept for the most part- so its plausible that DR could have heard what happened (although not reported in paper in detail) by way of the water cooler. Gossip flies around small towns, especially something like that.

I think that the two crimes are related, but not necessarily done by the same person. A copycat would explain a lot. Jmho.

I have talked to Mr Rothstein in person and over email. He has super interesting stories and theories. I think he just needs to get someone to take him seriously.

So jBrown, where can you go with this. What does he have to say?

I really doubt that Jacob was a paperboy

Can't get the attachment. Thanks for trying. Will have to go subscribe.

Isn't it unreal that you can access this newspaper from a tiny town, but not St. Cloud!!!

What does Rothstein say should have been done? What are his theories?

sorry about the picture human. He had black hair slicked back with droopy eyes. He looked a little shorter than the person swearing him in. To me, he didn't look like the sketch. In my opinion, the sketch Joy put up on her blog yesterday (the one with the hat who says Jared thinks looks as close as possible to his perpetrator) looks like RB.

Rothstein verified the story about the chicken and the bulls with his informants and because he worked as NY police detective (see article that I have posted a few times before) http://www.slate.com/articles/life/...reyed_on_prominent_gay_men_in_the_1960s_.html
they got the "chickens" or boy prostitutes in the midwest. HOWEVER, I believe the paperboys were the victims because the kidnappers knew what time the boys would be getting the newspapers and could lie in wait. I don't think Jacob was a paperboy (at least I haven't read anywhere that he was) and was abducted by a local man who met him before (hence him asking if he recognized him). I am still thinking it was RB.

sorry about the picture human. He had black hair slicked back with droopy eyes. He looked a little shorter than the person swearing him in. To me, he didn't look like the sketch. In my opinion, the sketch Joy put up on her blog yesterday (the one with the hat who says Jared thinks looks as close as possible to his perpetrator) looks like RB.

Rothstein verified the story about the chicken and the bulls with his informants and because he worked as NY police detective (see article that I have posted a few times before) http://www.slate.com/articles/life/...reyed_on_prominent_gay_men_in_the_1960s_.html
they got the "chickens" or boy prostitutes in the midwest. HOWEVER, I believe the paperboys were the victims because the kidnappers knew what time the boys would be getting the newspapers and could lie in wait. I don't think Jacob was a paperboy (at least I haven't read anywhere that he was) and was abducted by a local man who met him before (hence him asking if he recognized him). I am still thinking it was RB.

Rothstein's theories are frightening...I read up on those last night. Paperboys were taken early in the morning as you said as everyone was asleep. Interesting thing is Gosch + Martin each taken on a Sunday same as Jacob. Gosch's mother has posted pics of her son bound + gagged along with other boys. Very disturbing to see. Pics were sent to her anonymously.

On your second to last sentence did you mean to type 'Jared' and not 'Jacob'?
And which RB are you refering to? Sr or Jr?
Also, do you remember the Topix poster? He said a father + son abducted Jacob and they frequented a night club. Joy's blog states that Jared's abductor was late going to the Red Carpet night club which is apparently still there.

cGorg, human asked if Jacob was a paperboy in post #266. Yeah, I do think Rothstein's research is correct for Johnny Gosch and other paperboys in the midwest related to the mob, but I think Jacob's kidnapping was different. Has anyone seen the picture of former mob member Whitey Bulger with the priest that turned out to be a pedophile? Sorry, had to get my priest connection in there somehow. :)

I think it was both RB Sr and Jr. Sr looks like he could have matched the sketch in 1989 from his obit picture, the topix stuff that cGorg pointed out and "tapes" all point to him and/or his family. He could have had Jr in a car or the woods to help get Jacob out of there. The abductions could have stopped if he moved to a different area or decided to just offend without abducting.
But DH is also a good suspect because it looks like he was committed to the mental institution shortly after Jacob's kidnapping. But nothing else I have supports him as the person who did it.

Since Ben ans his father are witnesses that can place these obvious molesters at the site, why do you feel LE does not choose them as the perps, but rather focuses on an unlikely perp such as DR?

Do not forget, the public had no idea that DR was on the radar screen, so why not go for the Bahner's?????

One thing I noticed about Topix Gary's post...he said Jacob's abductor died a slow grueling death and Gary's post was dated 2010. RB, Sr died in 2012. So this brings me to this 'Lou' guy....why is he SO mysterious? Could he be the one Gary is referring to? Could he be Jared + Jacob's abductor? And could RB + sons the accomplices hoping to (forgive my candor) get in on the action? I agree with jbrown324320 that Jacob's abduction was a local, small town crime by small town operators...not the pedophile ring alluded to by Rothstein.

And having theorized this.....as human says...WHY would LE not focus on this and instead focus on DR? I have pondered this a long long time. Could it be 'tunnel vision'? Or is there somebody to be afraid of? Or an important connection with the Bahners? As has been stated here on WS, DR has been looked and looked at yet nothing appears. Is/was that 'Lou' a policeman?

Since Ben ans his father are witnesses that can place these obvus molesters at the site, why do you feel LE does not choose them as the perps, but rather focuses on an unlikely perp such as DR?

Do not forget, the public had no idea that DR was on the radar screen, so why not go dor the Bahner's?????

Maybe if DR would stop with his "I didn't do it" tours and interviews - just sayin'. (MOO)

Let's face it, DR is "odd." He keeps re-inserting himself back into the public eye. He makes quirky remarks like "Why wouldn't I?" when asked why he kept a journal about Jacob. It's like he enjoys toying with the police, thinking he is smarter than them all. (Hey, he could be right in this case. But it makes him look suspicious.) Maybe he's just a lonely guy who enjoys the attention, even if it's negative attention. Somehow, I see it as hindering the investigation if he really had no part in it.

Shergal, DR is odd, he likes the attention, he contradicts himself AND he lives with his parents right at the crime scene. He's an easy target. I just keep wondering if LE have anything concrete on him. Maybe all they have is heresay. I think they were grasping at straws trying to implicate him because of the pressure to solve the case. I sure hope they are investigating RB Jr and Sr.

One thing I noticed about Topix Gary's post...he said Jacob's abductor died a slow grueling death and Gary's post was dated 2010. RB, Sr died in 2012. So this brings me to this 'Lou' guy....why is he SO mysterious? Could he be the one Gary is referring to? Could he be Jared + Jacob's abductor? And could RB + sons the accomplices hoping to (forgive my candor) get in on the action? I agree with jbrown324320 that Jacob's abduction was a local, small town crime by small town operators...not the pedophile ring alluded to by Rothstein.

And having theorized this.....as human says...WHY would LE not focus on this and instead focus on DR? I have pondered this a long long time. Could it be 'tunnel vision'? Or is there somebody to be afraid of? Or an important connection with the Bahners? As has been stated here on WS, DR has been looked and looked at yet nothing appears. Is/was that 'Lou' a policeman?

Towards your "was it a policeman?" idea, cgorg..

I've posted pics of this guy before, he is a former deputy sheriff in Stearns County who was arrested for criminal sexual conduct. His ears are a dead on ringer for the Jared hat guy sketch. It might make sense if a guy like this had a scanner type instrument in his car (like both the "medical cop" from Jacob, and the man in the car with Jared). His name is not Lou though, it's Phillip Meemken. Meemken is accused of 22 felony counts of criminal sexual conduct, two counts of providing alcohol to minors and one count of child endangerment. The charges accuse him of providing alcohol to three teenagers and performing sex acts on them. Meemken was in charge of the Stearns County Sheriff’s Office’s Explorer Post, and at least two of the alleged victims were members of that group. The Explorer Post is a program to teach young adults about law enforcement.
The charges allege some of the teens were incapacitated because of their intoxication.

"The suit claims that Meemken used "the authority and position of trust" as the post's adviser to "groom" the three plaintiffs so he could victimize them. It alleges he committed sexual acts and showed them "sex toys and *advertiser censored* movies."
The lawsuit alleges the sexual abuse of the two men, now ages 18 and 22, and the woman, now 21, occurred at four residences, including Meemken's, between July 2008 and September 2009.

The woman and the younger man are related to Meemken.

The suit alleges that Stearns County officials suspected Meemken of "inappropriate activities" but did nothing to stop it. Bryant wrote that county officials "had a custom or practice of ignoring signs and reports of misconduct, including clear rule and boundary violations by its officers in the Explorer program."

http://www.twincities.com/ci_22955789/former-stearns-county-deputy-sued-sex-case-involving

You can read more about him at these links:

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=872315

http://wjon.com/tags/phil-meemken/

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/utica-ny/TN70S2745MLEIIB3D

Some problems that work against him being the perp are that he is only 43 now, so he would have only been around 21 back in 1989. And the sexual contact he had was with both sexes and kids older than 15 - two of them his own relatives.

shergal, i do remember your previous posts regarding meemken..thanks for the links. you're right...he's probably too young to fit into the 1989 scenario. I was theorizing maybe another policeman...maybe of higher order. Someone whose reputation would be seriously damaged if found out. And more seriously if this person had accomplices. Not investigating the Bahners could be a deflection.

My mind goes back + forth regarding DR. On the surface he appears 'a witness' only but his statements are confounding and can be interpreted 2 ways. More clarity + serioussness would remove some of my doubts. There's a plug holding back the damning truth and I wish it could be pinpointed.

shergal, meemken does look alot like the sketch in Jared's case!

DAH would not have gone straight to Moose Lake, I think.

First he would have served a prison sentence somewhere. Oak Park Heights?

Then he would have been civilly committed after he served his time.

I don't think you get civilly committed right away, do you?

One thing about DR-as-guilty that I cannot quite wrap my mind around is, if he did it, what did he do with Jacob and where did he stash him immediately after the kidnapping? Obviously, this is the key question for any suspect and would solve the case, but let's assume that DR snatched Jacob for the purposes of molesting him. He knew the other boys would run home and alert the police. DR wouldn't have had much time to commit the act, hide a body, and go through the motions for the police. If DR took Jacob, he also knowingly invited the police to his house. This would be very brazen.

Perverts don't think. They act.

Since the boys were out in a totally unexpected time , there could not be much planning.

See an opportunity. Take it!

There were so many outbuildings at that farm.

Or he could have taken Jacob to the Abbey.

Molesters are brazen.

Look at Austin Sigg or Tyler Holder.

Tyler took a neighbor child right in broad daylight around 2:30 PM. It worked out for him that her parents did not start looking for her for hours.

I wonder if he would have been caught if he didn't do all of the stupid things he did to be noticed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member