MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Duane Allen Hart....wow! that was some amazing research done so quickly... And yet LE says he is not connected to Jacob's abduction? I wonder why? If he(DAH) is not connected then it's back to square one. Re-reading Thread #4, posts #602-#635 between human and cappucino is fascinating. human, are you going to answer cappucino's question posed on Thread #5, post #182?

If DAH went to prison for those molesting cases back around the time of Jared's abduction, then he was probably already locked up when Jacob was taken. Did they show dates of when Duane was first incarcerated?

It's possible Duane did abduct Jared, and whoever took Jacob knew about the case in Cold Spring and was a copycat, thinking that Jared's perp would get blamed.

If DAH went to prison for those molesting cases back around the time of Jared's abduction, then he was probably already locked up when Jacob was taken. Did they show dates of when Duane was first incarcerated?

It's possible Duane did abduct Jared, and whoever took Jacob knew about the case in Cold Spring and was a copycat, thinking that Jared's perp would get blamed.

maybe...but check ELOCsoul's comments in post #208.

This scenario is exactly what I've been wondering about!! The timing of the arrest is right.

What bugs me though is LE's conclusion (and they seemed sure about this) that Jared's and Jacob's abductions were related. That conclusion appears to be based on the similar circumstances such as the threat of a guy, low gravely voice, approximately the same build, etc. So the problem is, if this is the guy that committed Jared's abduction, then it really reduces the chances that Jacob's abductor was committed by a copy-cat. Why? Because there was virtually no media coverage of Jared's abduction until after Jacob's. The abductor's MO was not publicly known.

I've seen media reports of Jared's abduction and assault a month after it happened. So it was reported- Joy Brown has a link to an article that was printed a month afterwards, but it doesn't mention that he said "run or I'll shoot". It just says he threatened with a gun (that wasn't seen).

Has anyone seen an article that ran before Jacob went missing that mentioned the "run and don't look back or I'll shoot" quote? If they didn't let that out of the bag publically, then I'd have to think it was the same person. If they did, seems like it could be a copycat. Also, haven't we established that the car used in Jared's case was not one that DR had or had access to at the time??

DR could have borrowed any number of cars, I bet. I just don't think he is the Jared abductor myself.

I am not sure DAH was incarcerated at the time of Jacob. I think Jacob is what caused LE to find DAH.

I feel a big letdown.

I was so sure finding DAH was going to lead to some new insights. I feel really stymied at this point.

ELOC seems to be the only one with info about this.

DAH is more than available to LE since he is in Moose Lake State hospital.

Ticks me off that he has three law find cases trying to get out of there. Guess who paid for his lawyers and court time!!!!!!!!

DR could have borrowed any number of cars, I bet. I just don't think he is the Jared abductor myself.

I am not sure DAH was incarcerated at the time of Jacob. I think Jacob is what caused LE to find DAH.

I feel a big letdown.

I was so sure finding DAH was going to lead to some new insights. I feel really stymied at this point.

ELOC seems to be the only one with info about this.

DAH is more than available to LE since he is in Moose Lake State hospital.

Ticks me off that he has three law find cases trying to get out of there. Guess who paid for his lawyers and court time!!!!!!!!

ok...you're being mysterious again...who paid for them?

Regarding Jared's case:
1. The perp told Jared to pull his winter cap down over his eyes(according MB, 'Lou' did the same thing to Jacob except used his hair to cover his eyes.....not saying it's related but just interesting) I suspect he did this so Jared could not watch where they were going but then after the assault the perp kept asking him if Jared recognized him. Did Jared then have to pull the cap over his eyes for the ride home? Jared said he saw a unique farm light so obviously the cap was removed for some time. Given this fact, it seems logical that Jared would be able to identify the perp and if it had been DAH or DR, seems it would be obvious. If DAH a farmhand why would Jared recognize him? He would have seen DR at school. Yet, Jared came forward in 2004 thinking there might be a connection to Jacob.
2. maybe the m.o. of these perps is actually common to their condition. That poor little boy Chuckie Mauk in Georgia in 1986 was approached by a man in a car, had a conversation with him, refused to get in the car, started running and the man shot him dead. Most likely so he wouldn't identify him.
3. Jared was on his way home from hockey practice...to arrive home 9ish...yet he was gone for 3 hours and his mother wasn't already calling the cops? I found that odd. Unless there just isn't any information available regarding what happened between the end of hockey practice and his eventual return to his home.
4. Shockingly there's so many perps in the area one wonders if each crime was done by separate individuals.

We really don't know if there is any truth to the Lou story.

The city directory will have lots of info, if it includes St. Joe.

The name of the family that Kevin was visiting can be figured out. People too old or too young can be eliminated. Ones with a daughter that age could be looked at.

A family within two blocks of the Wetterlings could be figured out to find Ben, if he exists. I don't see where there could be a house that is within two blocks. Can you!

Any other people of interest could be looked up as well as the location snd owners of businesses.

Great stuff in city directories

As far as the perp and Jared, Jared saw this man when he first took him. He wasn't wearing a mask.

Not mysterious. The taxpayers. You, me! We pay for this!

Oh...of course. I thought you were alluding to something more sinister or clandestine. I don't understand how he can keep appealing his sentence.

We really don't know if there is any truth to the Lou story.
That is for sure. Although we know Diane Meuhlbauer exists and she talks about him in 2 separate interviews with 2 separate people. I read somewhere that she knows who Lou is but would not put out his last name.

The city directory will have lots of info, if it includes St. Joe.
Thanks for the link....amazing info in those directories...I will peruse them.

The name of the family that Kevin was visiting can be figured out. People too old or too young can be eliminated. Ones with a daughter that age could be looked at.
Maybe you can do this?
A family within two blocks of the Wetterlings could be figured out to find Ben, if he exists. I don't see where there could be a house that is within two blocks. Can you!
Not sure..but was pondering that....maybe he lives 2-5 blocks away. I was trying to decipher his words regarding the path he drove but his description is badly worded. If he was coming from the south, that's the Wetterlings neighborhood which would explain seeing MB + RB at the abduction site...then proceeding north to the Tom Thumb..then leaving the Tom Thumb and seeing the boys coming to the Tom Thumb...so he did not see them on the way because he says they might have turned off 16th avenue to loop around to Tom Thumb whereas Ben stayed on 16th and looped east to Tom Thumb.

Any other people of interest could be looked up as well as the location snd owners of businesses.

Great stuff in city directories

Yes indeed! Thanks again for the link!

maybe...but check ELOCsoul's comments in post #208.

But I wonder if although it was not publicly known - as not in the newspapers - it was maybe privately known, say, by school officials - who would probably have been apprised of what happened to Jared. Principal and teachers would have to be told confidentially I think, so they'd know why he wasn't in class, or to watch and make sure he was doing ok when he came back.

And who is a teacher at Cold Spring school?

Yes. DR could have gotten the idea from the Jared abduction. Simple as that.

It's amazing the things they used to put in the newspapers! DAH was hospitalized several times in the 1960's, although the Paynesville paper does not say for what - sometimes treated and released the same day.

He was also at the St Cloud Children's Home ( a Catholic charity) in the late 50's. The meeting minutes of the Village of Paynesville shows several entries where payment for his stay was approved by the Village Board.

Yes. DR could have gotten the idea from the Jared abduction. Simple as that.

I don't think so. There was very little information in that article from Feb 1989 - not enough so that a copy cat could have developed from the article itself.

Shergal has a good point though - if the schools released more info to teachers at the time, that could have been a source of "learning" the crime enough to copy it.

I don't think so. There was very little information in that article from Feb 1989 - not enough so that a copy cat could have developed from the article itself.

Shergal has a good point though - if the schools released more info to teachers at the time, that could have been a source of "learning" the crime enough to copy it.

Would the schools have released enough info about the crime details to enable a copycat though? I would have thought all the school needed to know is that a boy had been abducted and raped, and the predator was still on the loose.

And even at that, would they have spread the info among all teachers in the area? Surely all that needed to know were Jared's principal and guidance counsellor.

I had a student when I was teaching subject matter, not a grade but subject for several grades, that had been sexually abused. I know I am being mysterious here, but I cannot reveal info about a child, I feel. Anyway, there was way more to the story than the abuse.

All of us teachers were informed so we knew if the school psychologist needed to be consulted. We also needed to know how to respond to the child.

And was DR one of Jared's teachers?

We do not know if DR was a teacher of Jared or not. But he was in the school and undoubtedly would have been informed.

Teachers may have lunch duty, playground duty, hall duty , and before and after school arrival and dismissal duty.

At least we did in my district.

Or , DR could have had him in some kind of after school activity such as yearbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolofeist