MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if anyone has taken a Google walk on Google Earth as it relates to the boys path to the Tom Thumb?(shergal has I know). You can literally virtually walk from Jacob's house past DR's driveway to the Tom Thumb and back again. I took that walk again tonight...it's very informative as to the general nature of the abduction site and gives one a perspective as to what can be seen from various vantage points. It really reinforces the desolate nature of the crime scene. One can really only see open farmland + trees. And you can pause at the mailbox and examine that scene. Heartbreaking knowing what happened there. Not sure why, but if you begin at Dale Street and proceed south...all of the sudden the sky turns from clear blue to cloudy as you approach the abduction site. Maybe the Google Guy stopped to have lunch and then re-engaged and clouds moved in? Whatever the reason....whenever travelling on the Google road, the sky seems darker at the abduction scene....just something strange I noticed.

Don't know if anyone has taken a Google walk on Google Earth as it relates to the boys path to the Tom Thumb?(shergal has I know). You can literally virtually walk from Jacob's house past DR's driveway to the Tom Thumb and back again. I took that walk again tonight...it's very informative as to the general nature of the abduction site and gives one a perspective as to what can be seen from various vantage points. It really reinforces the desolate nature of the crime scene. One can really only see open farmland + trees. And you can pause at the mailbox and examine that scene. Heartbreaking knowing what happened there. Not sure why, but if you begin at Dale Street and proceed south...all of the sudden the sky turns from clear blue to cloudy as you approach the abduction site. Maybe the Google Guy stopped to have lunch and then re-engaged and clouds moved in? Whatever the reason....whenever travelling on the Google road, the sky seems darker at the abduction scene....just something strange I noticed.

Of course it is far more developed today. I think you can see how .difficult it would be to stalk their home unseen. And the Wetterlings had a dog. Maybe the other neighbors did as well.

Yes, I can see how difficult it would be to stalk in that area. The physical characteristics of the site + stretch of land do not bode well for DR.

I wonder if the Rassier farmstead has/had a septic tank? Could be a nice place to hold a body.

marlins.....on second thought....that's an interesting point and would make sense as the farmstead was most likely there first before any residential development surrounded it. I'm sure the farmstead must have had a septic system(maybe an outhouse prior to that?). Once a developer acquires land to create residential lots then either those new houses would have septic systems and/or water wells or the City of St Joseph would install water + sewer systems prior to building the roads. A septic system would either be the compartmentalized tank(up to 1500 gallons) with a drainfield or simply a holding tank that would have to be periodically pumped. Both systems would be large enough to conceal a body as each has a concrete manhole at the top for access. It's a grim thought but one I had not considered.

marlins.....on second thought....that's an interesting point and would make sense as the farmstead was most likely there first before any residential development surrounded it. I'm sure the farmstead must have had a septic system(maybe an outhouse prior to that?). Once a developer acquires land to create residential lots then either those new houses would have septic systems and/or water wells or the City of St Joseph would install water + sewer systems prior to building the roads. A septic system would either be the compartmentalized tank(up to 1500 gallons) with a drainfield or simply a holding tank that would have to be periodically pumped. Both systems would be large enough to conceal a body as each has a concrete manhole at the top for access. It's a grim thought but one I had not considered.

There are a LOT of septic tank installation and cleaning companies in and around St. Joe, so I would guess many of the farms have septic tank systems.
http://busquedalocal.univision.com/...c-tanks.html?w=Saint+Joseph+MN&q=Septic+Tanks

Wouldn't dogs have smelled a body though, even if it was in a septic system? They did have dogs there at one point. Although they said the dogs lost Jacob's scent at the second pole in the driveway. So either he was knocked out and carried from there toward the house, out buildings, or Del-Win, or he was put into a car.

If Jacob is not still alive somewhere, the fact that they have never found his body must mean he was buried somewhere on private land where no one hunts or digs. Or that he was put in water. Being an optimist, I tend to believe in Patty's sense that he is still alive somewhere though.

There are a LOT of septic tank installation and cleaning companies in and around St. Joe, so I would guess many of the farms have septic tank systems.
http://busquedalocal.univision.com/...c-tanks.html?w=Saint+Joseph+MN&q=Septic+Tanks

Wouldn't dogs have smelled a body though, even if it was in a septic system? They did have dogs there at one point. Although they said the dogs lost Jacob's scent at the second pole in the driveway. So either he was knocked out and carried from there toward the house, out buildings, or Del-Win, or he was put into a car.

This still seems to make the most sense to me, since the dogs lost Jacob's scent and his print indicated his toe dug into the dirt, suggesting a struggle.

If Jacob is not still alive somewhere, the fact that they have never found his body must mean he was buried somewhere on private land where no one hunts or digs. Or that he was put in water. Being an optimist, I tend to believe in Patty's sense that he is still alive somewhere though.

There's nothing to suggest that Jacob is not alive, and it's hard to ignore a mother's intuition.

To the man who took Jacob,

I often wonder, does October 22 mean anything to you? Do you remember the young boy you took from us? Do you still have him with you? He's an adult now, but just as loved and still dearly missed. Do you know the person you took?

Jacob was born Feb. 17, 1978. He has his Grandpa's middle name. He loved sports and was incredibly competitive, especially with his younger brother, Trevor. They played, and they'd fight and then they'd fall asleep, each with one arm wrapped around the other. He fished with his Dad, and he had lots of friends. He was most known for his sense of fairness. Even if it had nothing to do with him it always bothered him when things weren't fair.

He tried hard at whatever he did. He was goalie for his hockey team. I remember asking him, did it ever bother him when somebody scored on him? He said not really. If I stopped it, it was a great save. If it went in, it was a great shot!

You took away a wonderful person. Someone who probably would have stood up for you if things weren't fair. Did no one do nice things for you?

I have found some comfort picturing you not as a mean, old, ugly, bad guy, but at one time, you were an 11-year-old boy. Someone's son, possibly someone's brother needing and hopefully sharing the love an 11-year-old boy deserves. If this love wasn't shared in your family, I'm sorry. Every child is entitled to the love and caring that family and friends provide.

If you still have Jacob, I wish for something good to happen to you, like catching a really big fish. Hopefully then, you will treat him well. I hope you have peaceful moments where you can walk in the woods or on a beach, content, not miserable and vindictive.

I have a hard time getting through anniversary dates. Still not knowing where Jacob is, I continue to talk to him. Birthdays, holidays, but especially now. Where are you Jacob? What next? I talk to God, praying for Jacob, and even struggling with trying to pray for you.

If only I could talk to you.

I'm not sure what I would say, although after so much time, surprisingly, I don't hate you. I know nothing about you. I wonder, were you ever like Jacob? Did you also love peanut butter? Did you sneeze when you looked at the sun? Did you play jokes on April Fools Day? Jacob is not just a kid on a poster. His mom and dad, Amy, Carmen and Trevor miss him daily. He has dreams, and hopes and potential.

I still have positive dreams. For my own survival, I have had to let go of a lot of anger or I would be swallowed up in it. But the questions persist. I pray that God will smile down on us all this year and bring us some peace. All I'm asking for is your response; a call to allow me and all the people whose lives Jacob touched to find peace and a sense of calm that disappeared that night in 1989. The peace that can't return until the questions surrounding Jacob's disappearance are answered. You have held the answers for so long. You also hold the pain. Please talk to me.

St. Paul Pioneer Press (MN)
3B
October 22, 1998

Prov. 11:14

"Authorities are also investigating whether there is a link between the attempted abduction of an 11-year old boy in Redwood Falls and Jacob Wetterling's kidnapping.

Gigler said the boy was approached on Tuesday by a man with a rough voice, wearing a dark ski mask.

The boy was biking home from an eye doctor's appointment at about 4:30pm when the man rolled down the window of his car and said, "get in the car, kid" Gigler said.

The boy was terrified and sped off. The man did not follow, Gigler said.

The man was driving a two-door, red car, medium to large-sized, with black door guards and masking tape on the driver's window. The man's voice was raspy and low like a smoker's, or like someone with a cold, the boy told authorities.

Gigler said there have been several false reports of attempted abductions, but "we believe this youngster." He said adults who know the boy say he is reliable.

Source: 12/22/89 St. Cloud Times

I was able to track down some more information about a man who once was a suspect in Jabob's abduction. The man had escaped from St. Peter Security Hospital in 1978.

He was difficult to find because he had used as many as 7 aliases. The man's real name was Charles Ray Hatcher. Hatcher was a subject of a book called "St. Joseph's Children" - but that was St. Joseph, MO. He had confessed to the murders of 16 children, convicted of two.

Hatcher had committed suicide in a jail cell in St. Joseph, MO, in 1984.

so we can cross this guy off our list. It looks like he was only in CA, IA, MO and NE. No evidence of him being in MN. And he died in 1984 which was before Jacob was abducted. Good research ELO

I was able to track down some more information about a man who once was a suspect in Jabob's abduction. The man had escaped from St. Peter Security Hospital in 1978.

He was difficult to find because he had used as many as 7 aliases. The man's real name was Charles Ray Hatcher. Hatcher was a subject of a book called "St. Joseph's Children" - but that was St. Joseph, MO. He had confessed to the murders of 16 children, convicted of two.

Hatcher had committed suicide in a jail cell in St. Joseph, MO, in 1984.

Interesting. So LE identified a guy who had been dead for 5 years as a suspect in Jacob's abduction? Did LE not know he was dead because of his numerous aliases?

different kinds of dogs are used for living vs not living. I wonder what kind of dogs were used. In the case of Somer Thompson, dogs were right in the perps yard with no hit. I do not think dogs are that reliable

lightingtheirwayhome.wordpress.com/.../jacob-wetterling-non-family-ab..

check out the comments after the article.

Interesting. So LE identified a guy who had been dead for 5 years as a suspect in Jacob's abduction? Did LE not know he was dead because of his numerous aliases?

Yes it appears that way - the man was "one of hundreds of people being sought for questioning in the abduction of Jacob Wetterling", according to the November 15, 1989 St. Cloud Times. KSTP-TV made the story public a day earlier, calling it a major development in the case.

LE downplayed the significance of this possible suspect, and one week later acknowledged Hatcher's identity and disclosed his death had occurred years earlier.

lightingtheirwayhome.wordpress.com/.../jacob-wetterling-non-family-ab..

check out the comments after the article.

Interesting comments indeed. Mickelson, a former police chief from St. James, MN, has been openly critical of LE's handling of Jacob's case, as well as the shooting death of police officer Tom Decker in Cold Spring, MN.

Mickelson seems a little off base on two counts however. First, about the sketch that was released - LE felt Jacob's and Jared's cases were related, so they released a sketch from Jared's case. It was well-publicized the reason why that sketch was released.

Second, I believe Mickelson is wrong about the the purpose of the perp possibly groping the boy(s). I believe that this did happen, but not for the "best package" as he states it. From what I am told, that is not what pedo's are looking for.

Interesting comments indeed. Mickelson, a former police chief from St. James, MN, has been openly critical of LE's handling of Jacob's case, as well as the shooting death of police officer Tom Decker in Cold Spring, MN.

Mickelson seems a little off base on two counts however. First, about the sketch that was released - LE felt Jacob's and Jared's cases were related, so they released a sketch from Jared's case. It was well-publicized the reason why that sketch was released.

Second, I believe Mickelson is wrong about the the purpose of the perp possibly groping the boy(s). I believe that this did happen, but not for the "best package" as he states it. From what I am told, that is not what pedo's are looking for.

I've mentioned him before on WS...have seen his comments previous to these. I appreciate your clarifications on his viewpoints. Although blunt, sure, and pointed in his comments, he comes off as an expert. IMO an expert is someone who has stopped thinking as he knows it all. Not to disparage his comments but rather to say that until all facts are known, then 100% surety is not in order-an element of doubt still exists. I agree about the sketch...it must be taken in context-especially the context of Jacob's abductor wearing a mask. Regarding the fondling.....I have no idea....as I am naive in that regard.

So...what's your point? That Mickelson is a blowhard? That's obvious. All of the psychic ruminations can be found on the internet and then some. I agree with your comment that 'knowing' without measurable, objective evidence is susceptible to emotional bias. And yet, by your postings, you seem to 'know' something. What is it that you know that could be shared on this forum? And I ask respectfully so.

An interesting tidbit, Jerry Wetterling was very into utilizing psychics in the search for Jacob. He would often be up late nights talking to them, much to Party's chagrin. Jerry would send some of Jacob's belongings to psychics in the hope of making a connection to finding Jacob.

An interesting tidbit, Jerry Wetterling was very into utilizing psychics in the search for Jacob. He would often be up late nights talking to them, much to Party's chagrin. Jerry would send some of Jacob's belongings to psychics in the hope of making a connection to finding Jacob.

I can see both sides of that. As a parent you'd want to try anything at all to find your child. But I can also see Patty being hesitant on that, because it can involve inviting "kooks" into your life. (No offense to any psychics, but there are some out there who claim to be psychic just to take advantage or get their name in headlines.)

Dear Jacob,

It's Saturday morning. Carmen is at gymnastics, Trevor's lying on the floor in the living room watching cartoons, and Amy and Mom are watching New Kids On The Block cartoons in the family room. (Mom is doing laundry during commercials.? I am sitting on the lower bunk in your and Trevor's room. As I look in your closet, I see your gold sweater hanging up that you wore for your school picture two years ago - the sweater that millions of people that you have never met have seen on your posters, billboards, banners, newspapers, and TV newscasts.

Aaron is visiting his cousin in the Cities this weekend. He's disappointed and a little mad because he didn't get to play quarterback this year. By the way, your soccer team finished second in the playoffs again. Jesse, Joel, and Chris Pete were put on different teams this year. I saw Nick in Duluth last weekend. Jake, has he ever stretched out! I bet he's grown 5 inches and lost some baby fat this year. He told me that the picture of him, you, and Trevor in First magazine was when he was fat. He's playing fullback and defensive end this fall.

Jake, this has been a very difficult year. We know what it has been like for us, but we can only imagine what it has been like for you. Jake, I don't care what has been done to you. I don't care what you have been forced to do. I love you - we love you. That you can always count on forever. Keep on your guard - look for an opportunity - do what you have to in order to survive. We will never stop looking for you, that's a promise.

Love,
Dad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members