MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would it be a luminol test? Would LE spray everything ?

I do not think so

I don't get why a couple people are so upset about blood and or blood residue on the trunk being mentioned? It was DR himself who mentioned it (twice) in that video. Obviously, if he brought it up, he's not very worried about it. So no need to get so defensive, folks.

I don't get why a couple people are so upset about blood and or blood residue on the trunk being mentioned? It was DR himself who mentioned it (twice) in that video. Obviously, if he brought it up, he's not very worried about it. So no need to get so defensive, folks.

This is his parent's house/farm. It is not his. The trunk was stored in the barn. Indeed, maybe he didn't know who the trunk belonged to.

This is his parent's house/farm. It is not his. The trunk was stored in the barn. Indeed, maybe he didn't know who the trunk belonged to.

That is the problem with all of the evidence people seem to think exists.

Even if there is cadaver smell on the trunk, without any documentation of whom the deceased person may be, there is no way to say much about anything regarding the trunk.

It is a point of interest at this time.

It doesn't even have to be a deceased person's blood. His old Aunt could have tripped over it and banged her shins. Or whoever had it before her. The only thing we know for sure about the trunk is that allowed LE to get a search warrant for the house, because the chest/trunk had been in the house at one time used for storing old clothes. And it had some sort of stain on it.

The umbrella stand - those are usually filled with sand or ash in the base to keep your patio umbrella from tipping over in the wind. They probably just took that to determine what it was filled with.

I think you are in the right track here. It's always been my opinion that the description of Jacobs perp defaulted to the description of Jareds perp. It took LE just three days to "link" the cases publicly. I think they got it wrong.

Interesting. I listened to Esme Murphy's interview of Jared + Joy. Jared seemed assured that his perp may be Jacob's abductor and his reasons for getting involved go beyond his own case-otherwise he would have moved on with his life. But you see a disconnect.

There would have to be another vehicle involved if there was a visitor. All tire tracks are accounted for...totally agree with you.

I've read that alot here: "All tire tracks are accounted for..."
Is there any documentation for this? Just wondering as I haven't seen anything definitive.

So lets just believe someone got back behind the boys on their way to tom thumb, knew they were coming back, parked his vehicle 50 yards away from the road on whoevers gravel driveway it might be, walk up to the ditch, wait until they arrive, take Jacob, walk back to the vehicle, and drive out of there and through saint joe without any visuals of this happening. Impossible.

Yup. That's pretty much it in a nutshell, minus some pesky details. But if a vehicular abduction happened, that is the jest of the crime.

I've read that alot here: "All tire tracks are accounted for..."
Is there any documentation for this? Just wondering as I haven't seen anything definitive.

What other possible reason could there be for them discounting a car when Kevin came forward?

I think I found something that describes the umbrella stand base and the trunk. It looks like they took his computer in 2004 :

clipped by me (the middle of the web page after you click on the link, this is a story from KSTP)

KSTP.com has learned investigators did recover clothing articles and animal bones in the dirt and ash taken from the farm. Some of those items were sent to the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension lab for testing.

Sources tell KSTP.com, investigators removed several items from the farm, including a lawn chair, the base of a patio umbrella stand and a cedar chest. The items had been stored in an area above a four stall garage on the Rassier property.

This is the third time the Rassier family farm has been searched, the first was immediately after the abduction, the second time was 6 years ago when investigators examined Daniel Rassier’s computer.

http://www.immelman.us/news/wetterling-suspect-dan-rassier/

Is this the building that burned down a couple years ago after the search? Can someone confirm?

Interesting. I listened to Esme Murphy's interview of Jared + Joy. Jared seemed assured that his perp may be Jacob's abductor and his reasons for getting involved go beyond his own case-otherwise he would have moved on with his life. But you see a disconnect.

You would think the question would be asked of Jared if he thought DR was responsible for his assault and for him to say no to clear DR. Why hasn't Jared publicly stated DR is not the guy who assaulted him? I did not think they were related but if Jared is saying they are and not clearing DR, doesn't that say something?

What other possible reason could there be for them discounting a car when Kevin came forward?

Just that his tracks were the 'freshest'. For 14 years they couldn't find Kevin's vehicle and pursued the vehicle theory(despite Trevor + Aaron's saying they didn't see or hear a car). If they couldn't find Kevin's vehicle then it's plausible that any other unknown vehicle couldn't be found either. There's a lot of tracks on that driveway. IDK, but assume that looking for a vehicle based on a tire print may be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

You would think the question would be asked of Jared if he thought DR was responsible for his assault and for him to say no to clear DR. Why hasn't Jared publicly stated DR is not the guy who assaulted him? I did not think they were related but if Jared is saying they are and not clearing DR, doesn't that say something?

Jared mentioned this in one of his comment lines on Joy's blog. He states DR is not a suspect in his case but acknowledged that DR is still a POI on LE's list in Jacob's case. It says to me that LE thinks that Jared + Jacob's abductors could be 2 separate perps while Jared still thinks there may be a link. Best if you read his comments and listen to his interview yourself versus my words.

As per Joy's blog(snipped by me)

jared | February 26, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Traci – Although I’m limited on what I can say about suspects in these cases, I can say that through the years, there have been a thousand people looked at, and at least a dozen that have not been cleared as suspects. Dan is one, even though I dismissed him as my perpetrator.

There are still those who believe that the suspect in my case and the Wetterling case are not the same guy. Now that we are looking into these Paynesville incidents, I can say that… if these cases are associated… I personally see more similarities with the Wetterling case than my own. Yet, I can also identity several red flags that indicate that they are also related to my incident.

Just that his tracks were the 'freshest'. For 14 years they couldn't find Kevin's vehicle and pursued the vehicle theory(despite Trevor + Aaron's saying they didn't see or hear a car). If they couldn't find Kevin's vehicle then it's plausible that any other unknown vehicle couldn't be found either. There's a lot of tracks on that driveway. IDK, but assume that looking for a vehicle based on a tire print may be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

They know who came to the house that day.They would easily get the prints from the known tires. How many people would be going there while the parents are gone? Not a lot of people would be my guess

So Jared did dismiss DR as his attacker, I didn't think they were related and yet law enforcement tied the two incidents together right away due to tire tracks in DRs driveway caused by Kevin. Interesting that there are similarities to Paynesville incidents. Was there a car involved in the Paynesville incidents? I know there were masks involved, what else was similar?

Dan Rassier--Important quick reference links & misc info

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/05/14/for-1st-time-person-of-interest-goes-through-day-of-wetterling-abduction/
http://www.kare11.com/video/625387048001/0/Julie-Nelson-interviews-Dan-Rassier-Part-I
http://www.kare11.com/video/626702482001/0/Part-Two-Julie-Nelsons-conversation-with-Dan-Rassier-
http://greaterminnesota.kstp.com/news/news/56198-web-exclusive-interview-jacob-wetterling-person-interest
http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/stor...terest-tries-to-clear-name-with-5-page-letter
http://www.joybaker.com/2013/05/15/dans-story-covered-on-wcco-news/
http://www.joybaker.com/2013/02/23/dans-story-2/
http://www.immelman.us/news/wetterling-suspect-dan-rassier/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/03/dan-rassier-jacob-wetterling-abduction_n_1736816.html
http://lightingtheirwayhome.wordpress.com/2013/05/05/jacob-wetterling-non-family-abduction-october-22-1989-usmcc000001-updated-05-04-2013/
http://www.minnesotamonthly.com/media/Minnesota-Monthly/October-2009/Without-a-Trace/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
KMSP-TV Fox 9 Transcript

It’s been nearly 15 years since Jacob Wetterling vanished near his St. Joseph home.

And he’s the man who says he has recently become a “suspect” in the Wetterling Investigation.

Stearns County authorities don’t use the word. That’s because of gaps early in the investigation. They haven’t been able to link him to the crime or rule the man out.

Trish Van Pilsum: “Did you have anything to do with Jacob’s disappearance?”

The Man: “I didn’t have anything to do with it.”

FOX 9 won’t identify this man because he hasn’t been arrested or charged. He lives near the abduction site. He was home alone on October 22, 1989. There is no one to confirm his whereabouts. Police questioned him the day after the abduction, more as a witness than a possible suspect.

The Man: “They needed to check me out. They said they had to check me out.”

They searched his car at work but not until later in the day.

The Man: “That morning when I left, I had a car full of …”

Trish Van Pilsum: “Boxes. Big boxes.”

The Man: “… and they never looked in my car. I mean it was that bad.”

They searched his property, too. But not until five days later.

The Man: “They didn’t come in the house that night. It could have been over with.”

Investigators, new to the case, agree important things were overlooked in the early days of the search. That there were just too many people and too many agencies involved.

More than 14 years passed. Why the renewed interest in this man now? The FOX 9 Investigators have learned that investigators now doubt one of the main theories of Jacob Wetterling’s disappearance. That theory: While Jacob, his brother, and a friend walked their bikes and scooter home from a convenience store, somebody got out of a car, grabbed Jacob, and fled in his car.

Stearns County investigators are steering away from the car, leaving their suspect on foot, and local. That fits with what the other boys said.

This is a copy of a statement Jacob’s best friend Aaron gave police.

[Investigator:] “Was there any vehicles or anything around at this point that you observed?” [Aaron Larson:] “Uh uh. Not that we could see.”

How did the car come into play? Remember the witness turned possible suspect? It was his account that placed a car at the scene that night. He said it turned around and sped away about the time Jacob disappeared.

The FOX 9 Investigators also have learned there was a car nearby that night. We found the driver. He is not a suspect.

Kevin: “It’s sad. It chokes me up. But what can I do. What could I have done.”

He’s a man in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Kevin: “I never came forward. I figured I didn’t have to.”

Kevin was 21 at the time. He heard something on the scanner. Saw a police car speed by his house. Curious, he tried to follow the squad. He was there so fast there was no police crime scene tape around the bikes and scooter yet. He drove away and told a police officer what he’d seen.

Kevin: “He said, yeh we know all about that. I know about the bikes. And that was it. It was like I was bothering him. We backed out and left and that was it.”

Trish Van Pilsum: “He didn’t take your name or phone number.”

Kevin: “He didn’t take my name.”

Trish Van Pilsum: “He didn’t ask, did you see a man lurking around?”

Kevin: “Didn’t ask me a thing.”

Nor, it appears, did the officer pass along his conversation with Kevin to investigators. It strikes the new investigators now working on the case 14 years later as strange. It also strikes them as a huge problem. In fact, investigators didn’t know about Kevin at all until this October [2003]. This came about because he met a federal marshal at a party who urged Kevin to talk to the lead investigator of the Wetterling investigation.

Kevin: “He was really shocked. ‘Cause after I told him who I talked to, what I seen, he couldn’t believe he didn’t know about me. In reality, I could have been the kidnapper and they never would have found me.”

In fact, of the thousands and thousands of pages of leads, none places Kevin at the scene around the time of the kidnapping. A source close to the case said they wasted 14 years looking for him.

Trish Van Pilsum: “Kevin, do you think, ‘Boy if my information didn’t get passed along, what else was missed?’”

Kevin: “Yes. Who else knows something about the case they might not think was crucial.”

Kevin even heard the police were trying to track down the car using tire tracks.

Kevin: “I was scared. I got really scared.”

Kevin expected police to come to him. They never did.

Trish Van Pilsum: “So if they couldn’t find you, what were the odds that they could find the kidnapper.”

Kevin: “Exactly. I think about that all the time. It’s sad. A young kid like that you know, 14 years.”

Why didn’t he go to the police? He figured he’d gotten to the scene after everything was over. He doubted he had anything to add. And he didn’t want to get caught up in the widening net of the Wetterling search.

Kevin: “I knew they were looking for someone and I didn’t want to be put in the position of being a suspect.”

Now investigators believe the car is accounted for. The investigation narrows to a small area surrounding the abduction scene. And, specifically on one man. One of Jacob Wetterling’s neighbors.

The Man: “I’m not worried. I’m thinking they’re going to figure out I couldn’t, I wouldn’t have been able to do something like that.”

Investigators questioned him as recently as two weeks ago, February 7th [2004]. They took a sample of his DNA. Five days later they questioned his family and searched his computer files at home.

The Man: “I just have to hope they make sense out of it and not wreck my life.”

Remember he is the witness who placed a car at the scene. Later that night he heard a commotion. It was the search and it was in his yard. He went back to bed.

Trish Van Pilsum: “Why would you go to bed when a kid had just disappeared?”

The Man: “I wanted to get some sleep. I wasn’t going to waste my time.”

The man FOX 9 talked with may never be connected with the Jacob Wetterling kidnapping case.

They know who came to the house that day.They would easily get the prints from the known tires. How many people would be going there while the parents are gone? Not a lot of people would be my guess

I would almost assume that driveway hadnt been touched all weekend, setting it up so that it would be very revealing when someone did. LE coming out and shifting their theory publically tells me they have a strong assessment of what they found on the driveway.

This is the part that blows me away!

Trish Van Pilsum: “Why would you go to bed when a kid had just disappeared?”

The Man: “I wanted to get some sleep. I wasn’t going to waste my time.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads