MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They identified all of the recent tire treads/tracks on the driveway. That's how they so called eliminated a car being used. Sorry I didn't get back to you today, I almost got electrocuted at work, yikes!

Some posters have SPECULATED that all tire tracks were accounted for but I haven't read anywhere that a credible Law Enforcement source has made this claim.

If ALL vehicle tracks were identified and the possibility of there having been any additional vehicle near the spot when Jacob's footprints ended eliminated, then the whole scope of this inquiry is greatly narrowed down. Otherwise the "use of a vehicle" angle is still very much in play.

The crimestopper article in post #392 also says the abductor was about 5' 8" tall. IIRC, Jacob's abductor was described as being taller than that, wasn't he? 5' 10" or 5' 11"?? I know the boys said he was the same height and build as Merle (who called 911 for them). I'd have to go back and check what Merle said his height was unless someone remembers.

I think TH looks like he could be Jared's abductor. I'm not convinced Huber's had anything to do with Jacob though.

ifollowthis, I have not been able to find DH's wife's maiden name. I have been looking.

shergal, from the 911 call, Trevor said he thinks he was "as tall as Merle" who was like 5'10". I don't know if he knew for sure as he was probably still in shock.

The crimestopper article in post #392 also says the abductor was about 5' 8" tall. IIRC, Jacob's abductor was described as being taller than that, wasn't he? 5' 10" or 5' 11"?? I know the boys said he was the same height and build as Merle (who called 911 for them). I'd have to go back and check what Merle said his height was unless someone remembers.

I think TH looks like he could be Jared's abductor. I'm not convinced Huber's had anything to do with Jacob though.

Merle Jerzak: 5'-10", 195 lbs

I agree TH looks like Jared's abductor(2nd sketch). But why would these 2 abduct Jacob just out of the blue? If no pedophile history then what's the motivation? I wondered if Delbert H was the man at Tom Thumb who said: 'They'll never find that boy'. He could have just been spouting off. They (or just one of them) do seem crazy enough to be the Paynesville perp though.

Some posters have SPECULATED that all tire tracks were accounted for but I haven't read anywhere that a credible Law Enforcement source has made this claim.

If ALL vehicle tracks were identified and the possibility of there having been any additional vehicle near the spot when Jacob's footprints ended eliminated, then the whole scope of this inquiry is greatly narrowed down. Otherwise the "use of a vehicle" angle is still very much in play.

Kemo, here are some articles that have mentioned other cars were ruled out after Kevin came forward:

"In 2004, authorities ruled out a suspicious car they had been seeking for over 14 years, and instead began focusing on the possibility that Jacob was taken by someone on foot. The revelation, Sanner said at the time, led investigators to rethink their "theories of who's involved."

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2010/09/28/wetterling-no-break

"It was six years ago when the scrutiny intensified for Rassier. Investigators ruled out the use of a car in Jacob's abduction. The attention turned to Rassier."

http://origin.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=875817

"Also in early 2004, news reports circulated that new evidence was being considered in the abduction of her son. News outlets in the Twin Cities indicated that another boy had been assaulted not long before Jacob disappeared. Police were also ruling out the long-held belief that the abductor had gotten away in a car."

Patty Wetterling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(The same quote as the one above is also mentioned in the book, "Sexual Predators Among Us" by Ronald A. Rufo, on page 168.)

http://books.google.com/books?id=tK...ATr8oKgDA&ved=0CGIQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q&f=false

Shergal,

Thanks for the response. You will note that the second and third quote you offer were from News Reporters and were not sourced or otherwise explained or supported. The first quote you offer, which is to some extent supported with information provided by Sheriff Sanner, actually says something very different. The statement does not "rule out" the use of a car, it only says that investigators are now open to the "possibility" that the abductor was on foot.

Something that I haven't found is any indication that vehicle tracks played any role in determining what happened. I know that a lot of information has been withheld but relying to much on conjecture it not going to solve this mystery.

Not denying the Hubers could have had something to do with it, but everyone had one had one of those coats back in those days.

Truly sick people

I'm sorry that you think I speculated about this. But its been in every update in the news since 2004.

I remember those coats they were the fad my senior year of high school,that was 1969. Not many people still had them in 1986 to 1989.

I remember those coats they were the fad my senior year of high school,that was 1969. Not many people still had them in 1986 to 1989.

Well, Paynesville isn't exactly the "hub of fashion" either. LOL. (No offense to anyone from Paynesville.) ;) I imagine plenty of farmers and people who worked outdoors would hang onto a coat as long as it was serviceable.

Shergal,

Thanks for the response. You will note that the second and third quote you offer were from News Reporters and were not sourced or otherwise explained or supported. The first quote you offer, which is to some extent supported with information provided by Sheriff Sanner, actually says something very different. The statement does not "rule out" the use of a car, it only says that investigators are now open to the "possibility" that the abductor was on foot.

Something that I haven't found is any indication that vehicle tracks played any role in determining what happened. I know that a lot of information has been withheld but relying to much on conjecture it not going to solve this mystery.

I believe that investigators original theory was that a car was used and was parked in the Rassier driveway facing east. Then after the abduction the car was driven all the way into the Rassier's yard and turned around and left.

This theory was based on the eyewitness account of Dan Rassier, who reported seeing a small car turn around in his driveway about the time of the abduction.

Remember something that I posted awhile back about a Tennessee man who was investigated by the FBI because he called The Times looking for copies of the paper in the days following Jacobs abduction. The key there, that I pointed out then, was that investigators were particularly interested in the rear tires of that man's vehicle. That indicates to me that LE believed the perp was driving forward when he left the Rassier driveway.

Jane Helen Bergerson was Delbert Huber's wife and the mother to Tim. According to Ancestry.com

Jane Helen Bergerson was Delbert Huber's wife and the mother to Tim. According to Ancestry.com

Thanks! She shows up in old census records with baby brother Harvey. She died Dec. 13, 2010 and the family must have never had an obit printed for her in any paper, I couldn't find one anywhere.

Helen's mom was Hannah Bergerson and her dad was Joseph Bergerson. It looks like Bruce may still be living in Wisconsin.

"We can't look back. We are actively investigating these cases now. We want anyone with any information to come forward no matter how small. You could hold the key."

Sheriff John Sanner

CBS-WCCO Esme Murphy (who is working with Joy) has updated that same article on Delbert Huber. Interesting stuff. He had a coat like what was worn in the Paynesville incidents.
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/05/23/neighbors-discuss-father-son-wetterling-abduction/

ifollowthis, the wife's brother's name was Harvey, do not know the last name. It is in the article.

The article mentions that the Hubers had a white van, and that a white van was sought in connection to the Wetterling investigation. Every documented mention of the van that I have seen says it was light tan in color. Here is a summary of the details surrounding the interest in the van:

Within a week of Jacob's kidnapping, authorities released a sketch of a man and information about a previous kidnapping attempt that had occurred in the Township of St. Joseph in July. In that case, 9 year-old "Andrew" had narrowly escaped the abductor's attempt. The man had pulled up alongside Andrew and asked him his age. When the man tried to get him inside the van he was driving, Andrew was able to run away. In that attempted kidnapping case, the would-be abductor was described as a white male in his late 20's, with dark brown hair, dark eyes, a slender build, fair complexion. He was driving an older, light brown van with white trim and rust along the bottom edges.

Andrew's mother said that no one would believe them when the family tried to tell people about the attempted kidnapping of her son. The Stearns County Sheriff's Department hadn't even informed the St. Joseph Police Department about that failed attempt until after Jacob was abducted three months later. Following Jacob's abduction, the FBI questioned Andrew's neighbors, and found as many as four witnesses who had seen the suspicious van in the neighborhood prior to the attempted abduction. The sketch of the man, as well as information about him, promptly generated more than 1,500 phone calls to search headquarters. Despite the considerable number of leads and witnesses, the man's identity was never determined.

In an unusual coincidence, the date of Jacob's abduction, October 22nd, happened to be Andrew's 10th birthday.

The suspect in the van in no way resembled a Huber. Glasses, dark brown hair and bangs.

I am so astounded that with the detailed description of the car that Jared gave that no one recognized it. It does not sound like a real common car. The thing is, the guy thought he might be recognized

It sounds like he would be from the area.

I am growing tired of chasing certain ghostly links, today I would call on LE to release to the public-

Upconverted hi def photos of the crime scene

Thank you

Reason- i dont believe there is evidence of a perp entering a vehicle on the gravel driveway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cheyenne966