MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If they're properly trained, cadaver dogs will only alert to the scent of human decomposition.

One exception might be porcine remains, which are sometimes used as a substitute for human remains or "pseudoscents" in training cadaver dogs.

ETA: Links

http://www.biologycorner.com/anatomy/senses/crimedogs.html

http://doglawreporter.blogspot.com/2012/04/training-cadaver-dogs-on-pig-remains.html

http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/cadaverdogs.html#

Interesting articles.

I wish we knew if the dogs hit on anything

If the dogs didnt hit anywhere at the farm the public deserves to know. If the dogs did hit at the farm the public deserves to know.

If the dogs didnt hit anywhere at the farm the public deserves to know. If the dogs did hit at the farm the public deserves to know.

If the dogs did hit (2010 - four years ago), there would have been a further investigation and further searches. There have been none. I think we have an answer.

If the dogs did hit (2010 - four years ago), there would have been a further investigation and further searches. There have been none. I think we have an answer.

They took a bloody trunk, the umbrella stand and sifted through tons of dirt.

The Sheriff said that they kept some items for further advances in technology.

How did they find the bloody trunk? It's not as if a stain looks like blood years later?

Why did they carry away all of that dirt to the crime lab? After all, there must be tons of other areas where they could have taken dirt from.

Did the cadaver dogs hit or didn 't they?

We know DR was named POI after the searches. Why?

They took a bloody trunk, the umbrella stand and sifted through tons of dirt.

The Sheriff said that they kept some items for further advances in technology.

How did they find the bloody trunk? It's not as if a stain looks like blood years later?

Why did they carry away all of that dirt to the crime lab? After all, there must be tons of other areas where they could have taken dirt from.

Did the cadaver dogs hit or didn 't they?

We know DR was named POI after the searches. Why?

I really wish the term "bloody trunk" would not be used. Bloody, according to a dictonary definiton, indicates something that was smeared or stained with blood. We have absolutely no idea if a trunk was SMEARED or STAINED. In fact, it may have been a single drop. The trunk, according to DR, was stored in the barn and was years old. I believe that if it tested positive for JW, DR would have been arrested.

As to the dirt, IMO there was nothing found. Where is the dirt now? Good question. It's not like you can store dirt; dirt could be contaminated since 2010 if stored outside, as it probably was since 1989.

I have never understood the umbrella stand, except perhaps it was a stored item.

Why DR? Most likely because LE has no one else right now.

I wonder what the "further advances in technology" will be and when. IMO if 25 yrs has done nothing, the chances get less if something is really there.

I really wish the term "bloody trunk" would not be used. Bloody, according to a dictonary definiton, indicates something that was smeared or stained with blood. We have absolutely no idea if a trunk was SMEARED or STAINED. In fact, it may have been a single drop. The trunk, according to DR, was stored in the barn and was years old. I believe that if it tested positive for JW, DR would have been arrested.

As to the dirt, IMO there was nothing found. Where is the dirt now? Good question. It's not like you can store dirt; dirt could be contaminated since 2010 if stored outside, as it probably was since 1989.

I have never understood the umbrella stand, except perhaps it was a stored item.

I wonder what the "further advances in technology" will be and when. IMO if 25 yrs has done nothing, the chances get less if something is really there.

DR stated that the trunk had blood on it, did he not? We have no idea how much blood.

How was the blood found ? Is it cadaver blood? If so, how did cadaver blood get on a trunk?

Cadaver dogs do not hit on blood unless it would be cadaver blood. Perhaps there is not enough information at this point to identify the blood. DNA had just started being used in 1989, so up until that point, all of those years prior, that technology did not exist. So, this might be a case of waiting for more technology to ID things in blood that are not available at this point.

Think about it. Would anyone notice or wonder what a drop of blood is on a trunk? It could be anything. Paint, ink, dirt, etc. DR said it was blood. LE has not said that they took the trunk because of blood,have they?

As far as the dirt, they sifted it. If you read the first article posted by Bessie, you see that they found a bone fragment that has no DNA in a case that was being examined.

They could have siftings of who knows what from that fire pit.

Once again, DR brought up animals being burned in the pit. We don't know if they found bone fragments in the pit. We do know from Bessie's articles that the dogs don't hit on animal remains.

It is ludicrous, to me, to think that DR would be identified 25 years later as POI because LE has no one else. Maybe they could have DAH or Bah----'s.

But instead they chose an upstanding citizen whose family is well regarded and distinguished . There is a reason.

The goose chase ended when Kevin revealed his tire tracks. That is why since 2003 that we only have DR.

Do any of the locals remember a place in Paynesville called the Black Saucer? Sounds like it was a video arcade or something, possibly.

Do any of the locals remember a place in Paynesville called the Black Saucer? Sounds like it was a video arcade or something, possibly.

https://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-5188970-black_saucer_motel-i#

older address?
1525 W Mill St # 313
Paynesville, MN 56362

more recent address?
Black Saucer Motel
703 West Main Street, Paynesville, MN 56362

Ad for The Black Saucer from the Sauk Centre Herald, Sauk Centre, Mn, August 17, 1967. Page 8.
http://sau.stparchive.com/Archive/SAU/SAU08171967p08.php

Businesses near the former Black Saucer Motel:
http://www.gogobot.com/black-saucer-motel-paynesville-hotel--nearby--restaurants

Agreed that it does not need to be called "the bloody trunk". The trunk, the lawn chair and the umbrella stand were found in a loft over the garage. Blood being found on the trunk was what got them the search warrant for the house on the 2nd day. DR tells that himself in this KSTP interview.

http://greaterminnesota.kstp.com/ne...ve-interview-jacob-wetterling-person-interest

Starting at 5:47 Dan talks about what investigators found in the search of his parent's farm and home. He says himself that "blood or blood residue" being found on the old trunk was what got them the search warrant for the house the 2nd day. (Because even though the trunk was in the garage loft with the lawn chair and the umbrella stand, it had originally been in the house.)

DR mentioned in this interview that the trunk was from an old aunt who got it from someone else, but he also mentioned there were "several items with blood or blood residue on them." When asked which items were taken besides the umbrella stand, he claimed to not remember, he said his dad has the list.

Dan also says the investigators had a specific list of items they were looking for on their original search warrant. One of the items they were looking for was a silver handgun. Dan says he can't remember what the rest of the items were.

(My thoughts on the umbrella stand, are that umbrella stands are usually filled with something heavy - sand, small gravel, ash - to hold the umbrella in place. Possibly LE wanted to check what was inside the umbrella stand base.)

More items with blood or blood residue????

Weirdness!

Let`s go out to Sheriff John Sanner, joining us tonight from the Stearns County Sheriff`s Office in St. Joseph, Minnesota.

Sheriff, thank you so much for joining us.

And we know this is an extremely active investigation. You have publicly said that you are not going to stop until you solve this case. But I want to go to back to 1989 right now.

What kind of a mask did this gunman have over his face?

SHERIFF JOHN SANNER, STEARNS COUNTY: It was described as a dark- colored ski mask.

CASAREZ: OK. How much of a description did you get of the body type of this person that was aiming this gun at these three young boys?

SANNER: You know, the description was fairly consistent, a man, a little bit older. And, of course, you`re talking with small children, so everything is relevant when you`re doing that. And just a normal body style, nothing that would be conspicuous one way or another.

CASAREZ: Now, what were the lighting -- what was this area like? I mean, it was urban -- it was rural rather than urban. How were the lighting conditions that night around the area?

SANNER: Extremely dark. There would have been no street lights. Very rural.

CASAREZ: But there was a home very close to where they were abducted.

SANNER: About a quarter of a mile from the abduction site, itself -- the actual abduction took place at a private driveway entrance.

CASAREZ: To a home?

SANNER: That`s correct.

CASAREZ: And the home was a fourth of a mile away from the driveway?

SANNER: That`s correct. About.

CASAREZ: Now, the little boys were told to go face down into a ditch, right?

SANNER: That`s right.

CASAREZ: So without any lighting, my common sense tells me someone must have known where there was a ditch.

SANNER: Of course. Yes. That makes sense.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1102/28/ng.01.html
-------------------------------------------------

What kind of confidence does it show in naming DR the POI and then Sheriff Sanner going on CNN Worldwide News to discuss it?

Let`s go out to Sheriff John Sanner, joining us tonight from the Stearns County Sheriff`s Office in St. Joseph, Minnesota.

Sheriff, thank you so much for joining us.

And we know this is an extremely active investigation. You have publicly said that you are not going to stop until you solve this case. But I want to go to back to 1989 right now.

What kind of a mask did this gunman have over his face?

SHERIFF JOHN SANNER, STEARNS COUNTY: It was described as a dark- colored ski mask.

CASAREZ: OK. How much of a description did you get of the body type of this person that was aiming this gun at these three young boys?

SANNER: You know, the description was fairly consistent, a man, a little bit older. And, of course, you`re talking with small children, so everything is relevant when you`re doing that. And just a normal body style, nothing that would be conspicuous one way or another.

CASAREZ: Now, what were the lighting -- what was this area like? I mean, it was urban -- it was rural rather than urban. How were the lighting conditions that night around the area?

SANNER: Extremely dark. There would have been no street lights. Very rural.

CASAREZ: But there was a home very close to where they were abducted.

SANNER: About a quarter of a mile from the abduction site, itself -- the actual abduction took place at a private driveway entrance.

CASAREZ: To a home?

SANNER: That`s correct.

CASAREZ: And the home was a fourth of a mile away from the driveway?

SANNER: That`s correct. About.

CASAREZ: Now, the little boys were told to go face down into a ditch, right?

SANNER: That`s right.

CASAREZ: So without any lighting, my common sense tells me someone must have known where there was a ditch.

SANNER: Of course. Yes. That makes sense.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1102/28/ng.01.html
-------------------------------------------------

What kind of confidence does it show in naming DR the POI and then Sheriff Sanner going on CNN Worldwide News to discuss it?

Not much IMO.....Old News(oxymoronic I suppose). I wouldn't garner much from it-it's a political interview. Description(by Sanner) is of a ski mask...we all know a ski mask has openings for the eyes to allow for vision and also to allow for goggles during snowmobiling. What about the nylon stocking mask? That has no openings. Simply a face covering- distorting facial features-one's vision would be impaired(hence the question of age). Why didn't he mention that? So which is it? A ski mask or a nylon stocking? It makes a difference. Trevor had stated that there was something dangling at the back of the abductor's head yet I've read where he(Trevor) later had seen a paperboy at the door with a ski mask(during winter) that frightened him. Body style: a man a little bit older, normal body style (IMO, average-fitting to Trevor's description). "A home close by"....obviously leading questions by the interviewer. "CASAREZ: So without any lighting, my common sense tells me someone must have known where there was a ditch." No kidding. If the perp was local this is obvious-ditches in a rural area.

(snipped by me).....just curious...where does this term "bloody trunk" originate? Is it LE? Is it WS?

(snipped by me).....just curious...where does this term "bloody trunk" originate? Is it LE? Is it WS?

I had not heard this term used by either DR or LE. It is my opinion that it is from WS.

Note that this may not even be what should be called a TRUNK. The dictionary definition of TRUNK is a large rigid piece of luggage used usually for transporting clothing and personal effects. It does not sound like this was a trunk but was either a clothing chest or a cedar chest.

http://www.immelman.us/news/jacob-wetterling-latest-news/

"They also took items from a storage shed, including a clothing chest, a lawn chair and the bottom of an umbrella stand. From inside the house, Rassier said officers took a box of his personal items that included personal notes, pictures and news clippings relating to Wetterling’s abduction."

Here's another description:

"Sources tell KSTP.com, investigators removed several items from the farm, including a lawn chair, the base of a patio umbrella stand and a cedar chest. The items had been stored in an area above a four stall garage on the Rassier property."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NarratrixofNightmares