MO - Elizabeth Olten, 9, St Martin's, 21 Oct 2009 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's interesting Prof. He is in prison 2hrs away. He must have been charged with something else when he was sent to prison.

Yes, I am curious about this trial...but it is him and it is there 2 pm ..another Judge. What charges does he have pending?

I don't think the guardians would be safe with her home. I bet they don't want her at home either.

Well, I haven't looked on casenet, but if it is prelim it is one he hasn't been tried for. I think it will be his lawyer who shows up and not him.

Is the fathers court thing tomorrow, possibly to see if he can attend Elizabeth's funeral? Or for that owuld he have to write the warden and the warden ask the judge? I don't know

Oh nevermind it's a pre trial conference. My sister in-laws husband is going through court there fro something and when he has a pre-trial conference it's before a jury trial. Everytime he goes he gets the trial postponed. This has happened since November last yr!!! He has yet to go to trial. So Mr. Olten may be going for something that happened a while back that he keeps postponing?

Looks like it is a request for change of counsel for Dale Olten, sr.

I lost!!!why would they even think about letting her go home???
I must be missing something???

The law - not a matter of wanting to. Just like an adult - bail is, in most cases available. 1st degree murder - usually not an option. She isn't going home any time soon.

Looks like it is a request for change of counsel for Dale Olten, sr.

I respectfully disagree. The motion for change of counsel was after the 10/28 pre-trial conference had been scheduled.

9/28 - Hearing Continued/Rescheduled
9/29 - Pre-trial Conference Scheduled for 10/28, 2pm
10/13 - Motion for Change of Counsel.

Is this the case with the terrible prosecutor? If so, the media coverage is a good thing - we want a change of venue.

I am well acquainted with Missouri DYS. She will not be able to go home; they're just repeating the standard JV lines. At some point, she will probably be sent to the STU or Special Treatment Unit - its a very secure facility. If she ages out of there, she will go to the Mo Dept of Corrections.

It is my understanding that the alleged perp was a suspect from the onset but there were jurisdictional "issues". Its also another reason why an Amber Alert was never issued. They were 99% sure it was not an abduction.

The first degree charge is based in part on writings found in the alleged perp's home.

I am well acquainted with Missouri DYS. She will not be able to go home; they're just repeating the standard JV lines. At some point, she will probably be sent to the STU or Special Treatment Unit - its a very secure facility. If she ages out of there, she will go to the Mo Dept of Corrections.

It is my understanding that the alleged perp was a suspect from the onset but there were jurisdictional "issues". Its also another reason why an Amber Alert was never issued. They were 99% sure it was not an abduction.

The first degree charge is based in part on writings found in the alleged perp's home.
For some reason the fact LE may have known from the get-go AB was responsible chills me to bone.Theres rumors she is from a troubled background & a known bully.........I wonder if this was a "incident waiting to happen" with this girl & sadly if it couldve been prevented.

Is this the case with the terrible prosecutor? If so, the media coverage is a good thing - we want a change of venue.

Yes, the prosecutor has a very bad track record for convictions. In additon to that, he's in a mess of his own over nonpayment of child support.

My guess is the prosecutor won't matter, if she led police to body, she will probably enter a plea and therefore not have a trial.

I agree. As far as I know too, this is correct information. They were just reading the rules for any juvi in general.

I respectfully disagree. The motion for change of counsel was after the 10/28 pre-trial conference had been scheduled.

I am guessing that Dale Olten's court dates now are all related to the charges for the crimes in this story from the beginning of the year? http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=266703

(The 10/28 2 pm is the same time as his daughter's funeral... :(

A pre-trial conference is generally done by phone. It is generally a conference call and is used to make pre-trial arrangements. ie: Set a trial date, determine how many days will be granted for the trial, etc. It's more about procedure than it is the actual case.

This really doesn't matter I don't guess but it caught me off gaurd because of how odd I found it ... The teacher that recently committed suicide has the last name Currier right? Well in the Somer Thompson case, the boyfriend of Somer's mom has that same last name and spelling. It is a pretty unique last name IMO and I thought it was odd that they both pop up on such horrible cases. Not saying the are connected, just thought it was wierd!! GREAT SLEUTHING BY THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A pre-trial conference is generally done by phone. It is generally a conference call and is used to make pre-trial arrangements. ie: Set a trial date, determine how many days will be granted for the trial, etc. It's more about procedure than it is the actual case.

All the legal terms go right over my head. I was just saying that in my opinion, the conference seems to be something different than the change of counsel since the conference was scheduled first.

Well this would be an interesting turn of events.

Teen murder suspect of girl, 9, to appear in court
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
10/27/2009

Updated: 11:26 a.m. Tuesday

JEFFERSON CITY — A 15-year-old accused of killing 9-year-old Elizabeth Olten is to appear in a Missouri court Wednesday.

Cole County Juvenile Court Administrator Michael Couty said Tuesday the hearing is to determine whether the teen should continue to be detained. Couty says the 15-year-old would appear by videoconference, and a hearing is scheduled for Nov. 18 to determine whether the teen should be tried as an adult.

Both hearings could be open to the public.
Police have not released the suspect's name or gender, but say Elizabeth and the 15-year-old lived in the same area and were acquainted. Hundreds of people searched a woody area in St. Martins after Elizabeth did not return home from a friend's house. Her body was discovered Friday.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/ne...23955ACE90D512478625765B0081FF57?OpenDocument

This really doesn't matter I don't guess but it caught me off gaurd because of how odd I found it ... The teacher that recently committed suicide has the last name Currier right? Well in the Somer Thompson case, the boyfriend of Somer's mom has that same last name and spelling. It is a pretty unique last name IMO and I thought it was odd that they both pop up on such horrible cases. Not saying the are connected, just thought it was wierd!! GREAT SLEUTHING BY THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
no relation

The teacher's name is Currie. Bill Currie.

http://www.fultonsun.com/articles/2009/10/27/news/123news05.txt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member