MO - Elizabeth Olten, 9, St Martin's, 21 Oct 2009 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps this article will help calm some of you:

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2009/oct/27/15-year-old-faces-hearings-in-girls-death/

The first, a detention hearing set tomorrow, will take place by conference call at 9 a.m. and will determine whether she should remain in custody or be released into the community while awaiting trial. Cole County Juvenile Court Administrator Michael Couty said his office will ask that a judge order the juvenile to remain in detention at a juvenile facility. Couty said the juvenile, identified by another official as female, has met with her family and her lawyer, Kurt Valentine. Couty declined to say where she is being held or describe her demeanor.

Lots of info here, about the process and how it proceeds. Hope it helps.

I checked out AB's Facebook, it's private but there's a pic.. she's definitely more "emo" than "goth"... so I wouldn't think it could have been a ritual or sacrifice at all.

OK...showing my age here.....what is emo again" Is that cutting and self mutilation stuff?:waitasec:

Have we heard much (or anything) about the younger sister (of AB) whom Elizabeth was visiting. I am torn between worrying that she was involved and helped set it up or feeling that she is a major victim here too. She has lost her good friend and now knows that her sis lead LE to the body and presumably did it. I wonder if they said good bye at the door before AB got involved???

Frankly I can't believe there isn't more online chatter from the teenagers. It's weird.

I imagine that anyone close to her has been asked not to speak to protect the case.

I know one of her top contacts on Twitter, a very sweet girl who used to live next door to us and play with both of my kids when they were younger.

AB is a sophmore. I have two teenagers who are a freshman and a junior. They both said it was all everyone was talking about at school yesterday.

Oooops sorry ... thanks for correcting me Nurse! :D Being at work plus watching these two threads like mad doesn't help! Back to lurking ......
no worries friend! Don't you go lurking!!! We need you hard at work :)

I imagine that anyone close to her has been asked not to speak to protect the case.

I know one of her top contacts on Twitter, a very sweet girl who used to live next door to us and play with both of my kids when they were younger.

AB is a sophmore. I have two teenagers who are a freshman and a junior. They both said it was all everyone was talking about at school yesterday.

Care to share?

OK...showing my age here.....what is emo again" Is that cutting and self mutilation stuff?:waitasec:

To get an idea of the "emo" scene that most teens are into (it's fading out now), go to the Wiki page Dani_md posted and scroll down to "fashion and sterotype". As far as cutting being Emo, that is just a stereotype. My daughter dresses more "preppy" and is a straight -A, never get into trouble type of teen...and yet she battled cutting for a couple of years. You never would have known to look at her.

As far as AB, she isn't Goth or Emo really...she looks more "Scene". The Scene teens like to be "hardcore" and many consider murder and certain other types of violence to be cool (hardcore). Her being "scene" would actually fit with her supposedly saying she "wondered what it would be like to kill someone" (would be a "hardcore" thing to say)

I just heard the perp is a few months from 16. Given the premeditation and the horrific manner of the assault, I worry they will try and certify as an adult. I fear that if they do, a change of venue and a good defense attorney will do a smoke and mirror transformation (hello Pollyanna) and a jury will go easy on her because of her age. JMO, but we'd all be a lot better off with dual jurisdiction and keeping her locked up for 50 years to life.

I think there is enough to suspect serious mental illness on top of a personality disorder. She is not someone we want back on the streets - ever.

My guess is the prosecutor won't matter, if she led police to body, she will probably enter a plea and therefore not have a trial.

Look at Huckabee in Sandra Cantu's case and KC Anthony - neither of these two chose a plea and they are busted dead to rights! If this perp has a personality like either one of these two, she will never plea out.

Just saying we shouldn't hold our breath - but we can keep hoping. Hoping that all three of them will plea at some point and save the taxpayers and the court system a BUNCH of money.

Salem

Anyone want to make a bet on whether or not cameras will be in the court room tomorrow? I don't think they will be (although I think they SHOULD be). It makes me sick to think about protecting this teens identity. I know, I know....it's the law but it still makes me angry. If she's old enough to murder someone then she's old enough to deal with the public outrage.

Is this the case with the terrible prosecutor? If so, the media coverage is a good thing - we want a change of venue.

The prosecutor from the county of origin will still be the prosecutor if there is a COV. In Missouri, most of the time they bring the jury to the original county, not taking the trial to the new county. The judge and prosecutor will stay the same.

How are you guys interpreting the bolded part above?

As simply a standard step in juvenile cases (in Missouri). They must hold this on every juvenile charged and taken into custody no matter what the charge

You guys I have had this question since the day I found out a letter was written....

Who is to say that ANOTHER person didn't write that letter and only the 15 year old girl knew about the murder? Or do they know for 110% certain it was written by the suspect?

The prosecutor from the county of origin will still be the prosecutor if there is a COV. In Missouri, most of the time they bring the jury to the original county, not taking the trial to the new county. The judge and prosecutor will stay the same.

Ah, my mistake. Wishful thinking! Was thinking of removal by the feds. Thanks!

By tomorrow, it just might be "officially" out there. Until then, the teen is protected by the law.

Probably not. Only if she is certified to stand trial as an adult at the hearing for that on 18 Nov.

You guys I have had this question since the day I found out a letter was written....

Who is to say that ANOTHER person didn't write that letter and only the 15 year old girl knew about the murder? Or do they know for 110% certain it was written by the suspect?

So far I haven't heard anything about who wrote the letter. Another thought - maybe a teacher or someone at her house found a letter (suicide/murder note?) that AB wrote and handed it over?

Anyone want to make a bet on whether or not cameras will be in the court room tomorrow? I don't think they will be (although I think they SHOULD be). It makes me sick to think about protecting this teens identity. I know, I know....it's the law but it still makes me angry. If she's old enough to murder someone then she's old enough to deal with the public outrage.

No they will not be, not in Missouri in a juvenile proceeding. It is rare to see that in adult criminal court in Missouri, if at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay