MO - Grief and protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
People are all in the road, waking right in front of vehicles and they have to to drive in the middle of both lanes. jmo

I wonder why people are still trying to drive through there. It seems the roads could be closed to vehicle traffic and pedestrians would be allowed to gather peacefully. That's certainly what you do for street festivals or community events. There's no call to have cars trying to drive through the heart of the demonstrations. That just invites even the most innocent accidental injury.

Thank you. I must have missed it. I haven't been able to read every post that has been posted.

I am glad you posted it again because for some reason I thought this was a town that is predominately white but I see it is the opposite in fact.

And I suppose those percentages were based on the 2010 census and the AA community may be even larger now.

I thought I read somewhere this morning from another poster who lives there that they have seen ads where the police department does advertise wanting minorities to sign up to become police officers.

And with it being predominately an AA community you would think most all of the local elected officials would be heavily AAs as well. That's strange to me.

In the town/county adjoining mine this is the case and most all of the elected officials in that town are AA just like most of the population is. The police forces (both city and county) are predominately AA too. It has a very high rate of crime. Two or three years ago it was rated #46th in the nation as far as homicides by capita.

And why do you think Ferguson has a far higher crime rate today than 20 years ago?

I wonder why people are still trying to drive through there. It seems the roads could be closed to vehicle traffic and pedestrians would be allowed to gather peacefully. That's certainly what you do for street festivals or community events. There's no call to have cars trying to drive through the heart of the demonstrations. That just invites even the most innocent accidental injury.

I think the idea, for the night at least, is to have as little police presence as possible. Give them their one night and then gently reign things back in to normalcy.

"Hands Up, Don't Up" rallies in solidarity with Ferguson.

Denver https://ph.news.yahoo.com/video/hands-dont-shoot-rally-denver-003400389.html

NYC http://www.myfoxla.com/story/26285412/nyc-protest-ferguson

Oakland http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_26339...lly-against-police-shootings-support-ferguson

Myrtle Beach http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/20...house-moment-of-silence.html?sp=/99/134/575//

Thousands of people gathered in more than 100 U.S. communities Thursday in remembrance of Michael Brown, the unarmed black teenager whom police shot to death last weekend in Ferguson, Missouri.

The centerpiece of the observations — being held at such historic places as New York's Union Square, Boston Common and St. Louis' Gateway Arch — was a simultaneous national moment of silence at 7:20 p.m. ET.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/mi...d-honor-ferguson-victim-michael-brown-n180981

You aren't the only one. But really, I guess, what can one do? There are always opportunists waiting to take advantage of any situation. It's just sad that when the opportunist is white, majority of people will say "oh, he is an outlier, most folks are there for peaceful protest". But if the opportunist is a person of color, then he becomes an example, a representative of the entire group. It's an impossible standard that can never be met. An entire people should not be treated as responsible for the actions of individuals - and really, that goes to the heart of the matter here - black men as a whole held to a different standard, made to bear more responsibility because of the actions of other individual black men. :sigh:

^^^ I agree. I also think that too many people do this with police. Police officers are individuals. There are good and bad. But it appears many, many people can't see that. Jmo

I'd be lying if I didn't admit I'm kind of holding my breath right now. Sounds like some are there trying to provoke. If they do I think they might get beat down. But not by LE. I think the locals very well may do it.

It all depends if the agitators are thugs, or criminals, or agents provacateurs.

^^^ I agree. I also think that too many people do this with police. Police officers are individuals. There are good and bad. But it appears many, many people can't see that. Jmo

There ARE good LE. Even in jurisdictions that are corrupt or known to be biased. But simply because of the job they do, they SHOULD be held to a higher standard. They have the power of the government, as well as deadly force on their side. For those facts alone, they should be trained and trained again to act on a higher standard, to always look to de-escalate tensions, not make them worse. Especially when dealing with a community that over the years has rightfully come to expect to be treated badly. I am not saying to give any criminal a free pass - but I have seen way too many examples, in person, of young men arrested for trumped up reasons, in VERY harsh ways. I have seen a few - too few - examples of people arrested in ways that were firm yet respectful of the fact that the arrestee is a fellow human being with rights. If we have police that can treat people - including suspects - with a minimum of a respect and dignity, and without the petty indignities and assaults (never mind the more egregious assaults if say, a Rodney King), then that would go a long way towards establishing a mutual trust. And it won't happen overnight or quickly. When something is ingrained over generations it's only common sense that it will take many years to change.

Very sad tonight. Though I was heartened by a few of the newer pics posted earlier. I liked seeing the one pic with a regular cop - and a black cop to boot, someone from the very community he will be policing - in a regular blue uniform, rather than one in military gear with weapon drawn at peaceful protestors. It goes a long way towards at least making people feel like the field is more level between police and community.

I hope the community can get the answers and actions they need; but most especially Michael Brown's family deserves answers and actions. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear what you went through, truly. My only point is...if, at the point he was holding a knife on you, if you knew he would peacefully leave if you said the words "Ok, you win." would you have said them? If you think that just saying the words, even if you don't mean them, would result in him dropping his knife and walking away, I would strongly encourage you...say the words. Worry about sorting out justice later.

RBBM Is this a hypothetical? I couldn't possibly know that anything I said would make them leave. At that point in time I wasn't worried about sorting out justice.

Maybe this man that was beaten by demonstrators...could have said "Ok, you win". http://www.kmov.com/special-coverag...ear-demonstrations-in-Ferguson-271301441.html

Sunny Hostin ‏@SunnyHostin
A source close to the investigation tells CNN the Ferguson Police plan to release the name of the officer who shot Michael Brown tomorrow.

octobermoon, did you see the police chief get all clammy when a certain name was said to him today? i wonder if that had something to do with them (possibly) deciding to release the name tomorrow.

RBBM Is this a hypothetical? I couldn't possibly know that anything I said would make them leave. At that point in time I wasn't worried about sorting out justice.

Maybe this man that was beaten by demonstrators...could have said "Ok, you win". http://www.kmov.com/special-coverag...ear-demonstrations-in-Ferguson-271301441.html

RBBM - That is all my point was. If telling them they win potentially means no violence, then do it. It's not a time for sorting out justice. Do what you have to do to stop the violence and sort out the justice later.

Yes, I agree 100% with your second paragraph. Had Captain Johnson been appointed days ago, maybe that guy wouldn't have been beaten by whoever beat him (who I doubt were demonstrators - there is a clear distinction between the demonstrators/protesters and those that were committing the violent acts).

octobermoon, did you see the police chief get all clammy when a certain name was said to him today? i wonder if that had something to do with them (possibly) deciding to release the name tomorrow.

I missed that part. He was a little sweaty, I figured that was because his butt had been chewed for what happened yesterday. Do you remember which reporter asked the question?

Mark J. Zinn ‏@MarkJZinn
#STL County Prosecutor Bob McCulloch is not happy with @GovJayNixon: http://postdispat.ch/1lZPFNg #Ferguson https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvC2U59CQAIqMxE.jpg

There is a long political story behind all of that. In fact, a state senator who was at the protests the past few days, on twitter, literally, and I mean literally, said "Fu** off Governor". If McCulloch isn't careful, he may lose his job if he comes out too strong against peace being brought to the area. His ways certainly did not work.

There is a long political story behind all of that. In fact, a state senator who was at the protests the past few days, on twitter, literally, and I mean literally, said "Fu** off Governor". If McCulloch isn't careful, he may lose his job if he comes out too strong against peace being brought to the area. His ways certainly did not work.

I saw her tweet. :eek:

I think the feds will take it from here. They should, imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members