MO - Grief & protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do people dip pot in NyQuil?

For the same reason they drink Purple Drank? It has alcohol in it? Honestly who knows. It sounds like something that a bored idiot came up with that then got passed on to "celebrities" who then passed it on to those that listen to their music/watch their shows/look up to them.

MOO

Why do people dip pot in NyQuil?

http://nyquiladdiction.com/nyquil-addiction-side-effects

Nyquil addiction side effects include those from Dextromethorphan, which when abused in low quantities, produces a state of euphoria. In medium doses, the euphoria is more intense, sometimes with accompanying hallucinations. In high doses, Nyquil addiction side effects include psychosis and fluctuating responses to stimuli. Nyquil addiction side effects are experienced in waves, called plateaus, usually experienced through one continuous intake of Dextromethorphan, that vary in intensity.

http://www.healthline.com/health/psychosis#Overview1

Results from the toxicology tests have not been released. Maybe there was something else in MB's system besides pot. JMO.

Right. Then where did the assumption come from about some level of THC? JMO

Ok, so IF this incident happened in the way most are saying (that MB was shot while charging at OW) to me MB must have known what the outcome would be, so basically he was suicidal, unless he was messed up on some sort of crazy drug(and I sure don't mean weed), then I have a hard time buying that. Why on earth would he charge him like that, doesn't make sense to me, the baddest of bad criminals wouldn't do that, this is either a suicidal or psychotic act. Would love to see the tox report. I'm still staying in the fence with this case so far, but am open minded.

It is irrational and bizarre behavior. But look at some of the choices he had already made in the previous 20 minutes. He knew there were cameras in the minimart, and he was local, and was going to be easily recognized, but that didnt stop him. [ and he quite possibly has some charges from the past November in another town.]

Then when leaving the robbery, carrying stolen merchandise, does he walk furtively, secretively home? NO, he walks down the middle of the road blocking traffic, and then when they see a cop coming down the road, they don't step aside to avoid the confrontation. They STAY in the middle of the road, and then REFUSE to follow the cops directions to get out of the road. That is irrational and ridiculous behavior. So I don't think he was thinking straight at the time. :cow:

WOW awesome post!! Great idea!

I've heard of the police officers who come to schools for the DARE programs, but your idea is so great, and I wish some police chief somewhere would read what you wrote. IDK if they do this in some schools or not, but I've never heard of it.

And especially in urban areas - why don't they develop programs for the schools exactly like you said - where the police officers come into the schools and talk with the kids. And this would help build rapport between the community and the officers.

The officers need some way to convey their perceptions and what their job is like daily, and what kind of behaviors they see on a day-to-day basis. At the same time, the community members need to convey their points of view.

There is the problem that they eachdon't understand what the other feels and thinks. If there could just be an open dialogue, it would help them understand each other.

GREAT IDEA!!!! And I LOVE this post!

I agree with you, this is SUCH a great idea! It's completely in line with the idea of community policing. What are your thoughts on what would be the context for these visits? I mean, you can't say, "kids, this is how you don't get shot by the police," and DARE is great, but I agree with you that pot is soon going to be legal everywhere. (Which doesn't mean doing anything under the influence of marijuana should be legal everywhere, I'm just saying treat it like alcohol, make it legal, make the consequences of under the influence strong and tax the substance, anyway I digress.) I wish cops could go into schools and say, "kids, most of you won't ever come into contact with us for anything other than a traffic stop, but if you do, here's how to make it safe for both of us." Do you think that could work? Personally, I'd love for cops to be able to schools and be able to talk about coming forward about sex crimes/molestation involving kids, but I know many parents would scream, 'Sex education, nooooo!' But aside from that, the problem is, both schools and police departments fall under public budgets which are necessarily tight.

I would love to hear more ideas along this line, though!

From Baden who said that Brown had it in his system, apparently

I believe Baden said he had not SEEN the tox report, but commented that IF it revealed THC and or, it could have affected MB's behavior. No? JMO

If I may, with respect, say that most of us who are white do not have parents or grandparents who could not use white toilets, eat at white lunch counters, attend white schools or have their supposed constitutionally-assured votes "lost" in the ballot box. And worst of all, stand the very real chance of being the victim of physical violence/death at the hands of vigilante mobs or even LE.

This is our past, this is their past. Our experiences shape who we are, who we trust and how we respond. And although things are better with each generation, please remember, there are men MB's age who have family members who are still alive who lived through discrimination that hopefully, this country will never see again. But when you have a knowledge and understanding of what prior generations of your family/community experienced, it becomes a part of you.

I really don't mean to soapbox it(although I guess I am), but I can honestly say that I am thankful everyday for being a member of a privileged group. My ancestors came to this country and fought for its independence because they WANTED to. They were landowners, and yes, slave owners. :( They had choices, voices and respect. They obeyed the laws because they MADE them. The laws benefitted their interests.

All I want to bring home here is that not every person springs fully formed from a place of benign neutrality. When societal strictures behoove your agenda, it is awfully easy to walk the straight and narrow. After all, your dad painted the line.

But when you come from generation after generation of mistreatment and oppression, you may not view the world the same as a person who has never had to worry that looking someone in the eye can mean you are being insubordinate. I cannot imagine what it must be like to share that mistrust generationally.

Stepping down off soapbox now. Sorry.

This post does not mean I believe MB's death was because he was black. It means that I understand the upset of the black community. Whether OW was right or wrong, remains to be confirmed. But I try very hard in my life to understand where people are "coming from" before I dismiss their views. I hope they will do the same for me.

Beautiful words, but why the need to bounce off my post for that? What exactly are you trying to say....to me????

Ok, so IF this incident happened in the way most are saying (that MB was shot while charging at OW) to me MB must have known what the outcome would be, so basically he was suicidal, unless he was messed up on some sort of crazy drug(and I sure don't mean weed), then I have a hard time buying that. Why on earth would he charge him like that, doesn't make sense to me, the baddest of bad criminals wouldn't do that, this is either a suicidal or psychotic act. Would love to see the tox report. I'm still staying in the fence with this case so far, but am open minded.

I am still on the fence also. I've not bought the charging scenario, but I don't rule it out. I think MB was hit in the arm as he fled. Slowed, turned around & what exactly happened after that I don't know. I don't discount the 8 sec audio tape. After MB turned he received the two head shots. Was he standing still? Was he taking steps forward? Was he holding his wounded arm with his head down? I doubt he was collapsing from his arm wounds. IDK.

Well if OW has injuries to his face, and those injuries were from MB, then that tells me OW had a right to protect himself from further harm.

Link regarding pot :)

http://nypost.com/2014/08/18/michael-brown-might-have-been-shot-with-his-hands-up-pathologist/

If OW was assaulted by MB I totally agree with you and he had every right to defend himself but he also has others rights as a law enforcement officer in this situation. He also had a legal right to arrest the suspect for a felony because that is exactly what MB became the instant he assaulted a police officer.

It really boils down to the MO law on when police officers are allowed to use lethal force, IMO.

So lets say for argument sake that MB had just assaulted Officer Wilson and I do believe this is true. Officer Wilson would absolutely know that MB had just committed a class A felony because he was the one being attacked.

So when DW tried to stop MB when he tried to escape/flee MB knew he had just committed a crime by assaulting OW. MB also knew he had just committed another crime 15 minutes earlier. Even if OW didn't know that at the time....MB did. At that time MB had turned into a suspect, imo. He was no longer just someone walking in the middle of the street but his actions was a felony crime against OW.

Even if OW didn't know about the strong armed robbery, which I think he did, and that is why he backed up after pulling off after the warning... then it does show that MB was aggressive toward others that day. Anyone that assaults a police officer must be apprehended quickly and that is what DW was trying to do. And if he knew about the strong armed robbery that is even more reason to stop the suspect and arrest him.

What does Missouri law provide on police use of deadly force?
Missouri law gives police officers broad power to use force to make an arrest or prevent a felon’s escape. It states: “A law enforcement officer in effecting an arrest or in preventing an escape from custody is justified in using deadly force only …. when he reasonably believes that such use of deadly force is immediately necessary to effect the arrest and also reasonably believes that the person to be arrested (a) has committed or attempted to commit a felony; or (b) is attempting to escape by use of a deadly weapon; or (c) may otherwise endanger life or inflict serious physical injury unless arrested without delay.”

http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/whats-grand-jury-how-will-it-work-ferguson-case

Part A, B and C is not required. Part A OR B OR C is the three requirements individually that allows them to use deadly force.

So if MB assaulted OW and then tried to flee he had a right by MO law to shoot the suspect in order to subdue/apprehend or use deadly force when trying to arrest him. IMO And if MB continued to come toward OW after he had been shot OW certainly had a right to defend himself from being possibly beaten and kicked to death this time instead of just receiving a serious eye injury which he had already received from this very same suspect.

IMO

I agree with you, this is SUCH a great idea! It's completely in line with the idea of community policing. What are your thoughts on what would be the context for these visits? I mean, you can't say, "kids, this is how you don't get shot by the police," and DARE is great, but I agree with you that pot is soon going to be legal everywhere. (Which doesn't mean doing anything under the influence of marijuana should be legal everywhere, I'm just saying treat it like alcohol, make it legal, make the consequences of under the influence strong and tax the substance, anyway I digress.) I wish cops could go into schools and say, "kids, most of you won't ever come into contact with us for anything other than a traffic stop, but if you do, here's how to make it safe for both of us." Do you think that could work? Personally, I'd love for cops to be able to schools and be able to talk about coming forward about sex crimes/molestation involving kids, but I know many parents would scream, 'Sex education, nooooo!' But aside from that, the problem is, both schools and police departments fall under public budgets which are necessarily tight.

I know in my community the local police dept are very involved with the schools. They definitely have programs like DARE, among others. BBM it's a good start. I know in my community the officers simply seek to let the kids know who they are and why they're there. I'm probably not saying this very well, but I think their continuous presence fosters a good relationship, and it indirectly conveys a "you don't need to fear me, b/c we're on your side" mentality with the kids.

Granted, I live in an incorporated village, and we have our own police force even though we have less than 25,000 residents. But that comes with a price. Long Island is one of the most heavily taxed areas in the country, and being an incorporated village adds another layer of taxes. Anyway don't get me started on taxes!

Communities like Ferguson need to build a trust between its residents and it's law enforcement officials, and the schools are a very good place to start. JMO

Right. Then where did the assumption come from about some level of THC? JMO

Dr. Baden talked about it in the last paragraph of the article I posted a little while ago.

Here is some additional info:

What Is Marijuana?

Marijuana is one of the names given to the Cannabis sativa plant when it is used as a drug. The active ingredient in marijuana is tetrahydrocannabinol or THC.

What Are the Effects of Marijuana Use?

The effects from smoking marijuana are felt as soon as the THC enters the bloodstream and last from 1-3 hours. Absorption of THC is slower if marijuana is ingested, typically producing effects 30 minutes to an hour after exposure and lasting up to 4 hours. Marijuana increases the heart rate, relaxes and enlarges bronchial passages, and dilates the blood vessels in the eyes, which may cause them to appear bloodshot. THC causes dopamine release, which produces euphoria. Colors and sounds may seem more intense, time may appear to pass more slowly, and pleasant sensations may be experienced. Dry mouth is common, as are intense thirst and hunger. After the euphoria passes, a user may feel sleepy or depressed. Some users experience anxiety or panic.

More info at link:
http://chemistry.about.com/od/drugs/a/marijuana.htm

All I want to bring home here is that not every person springs fully formed from a place of benign neutrality.

rsbm/bbm: By looking at the "who are you?" poll of WS members, most are crime victims/family members, and most are women. Each has a personal bias due to each individual situation that got them that "label"- whether they are consciously aware of it or not, and if they can put it aside for every case they participate in, imo. And being female is an experience no man can replicate and identify with.

In fact, the majority of the public are not benignly neutral either, due to upbringing, gender, personal experience, etc etc. I honestly think everyone here is trying to do the best they can to understand how/why others form the opinions they do.

Well perhaps some of the jury members, if it goes to trial, will have tried pot before. I find it difficult to believe that anyone who's tried it will say it makes them go homicidal or crazy.

The thing is, after seeing the NyQuil bottles left by his friends at the crime scene memorial, I think they were smoking these:

"blunt cigars laced with or dipped into codeine cough syrup" = dipped swishers

When u dip blunts in cough syrup then u get a very intense chemical high, much different than just being stoned. [And I grew up in Berkeley, and have had lost of experience with regular pot. :wink: ]

google this: Bud dipped in codeine

"Well... I've dipped a blunt in codeine syrup a couple times. It took a long time to dry, but when it did, we blazed that **** down. It got us leaaaaned out.

Ended up getting in a car chase with a cop, but my buddy didn't have plates and we were in a jeep rompin' around in the snow. Cop got stuck, we were in luck. Some seriously intense ****, but it didn't feel that intense because I was so leaned out. I remember just sitting there calmly watching this cop trying to get at us while we hauled *advertiser censored* across some dude's backyard. "

I know in my community the local police dept are very involved with the schools. They definitely have programs like DARE, among others. BBM it's a good start. I know in my community the officers simply seek to let the kids know who they are and why they're there. I'm probably not saying this very well, but I think their continuous presence fosters a good relationship, and it indirectly conveys a "you don't need to fear me, b/c we're on your side" mentality with the kids.

Granted, I live in an incorporated village, and we have our own police force even though we have less than 25,000 residents. But that comes with a price. Long Island is one of the most heavily taxed areas in the country, and being an incorporated village adds another layer of taxes. Anyway don't get me started on taxes!

Communities like Ferguson need to build a trust between its residents and it's law enforcement officials, and the schools are a very good place to start. JMO

How about people just stop committing violent crimes? How about THAT?

This is going to sound absolutely horrible but it's how I feel...

I don't CARE.

If I see, hear or read about a violent criminal killed ...I shed not a single tear. I have sympathy for those that care about & love the person...it's sad that the deceased chose the wrong path...it's sad they put themselves in a position where they'd likely be shot....especially when they're young. I don't care what color they are, how much they weigh....how tall, how old...no gets to skip away after assaulting a police officer...
Only a fool would try.
I feel little for those that menace society.

All IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Betty, thank you, I know I don't say this well, but as a teenager I had 'mixed' interactions withs cops. First, they used to get called to my parents' house a lot because my older brother and his friend were smoking pot and being loud in the driveway, not driving anywhere or hurting anyone, mind you, but just being loud and OK, obnoxious. I have to say, the cops were really pretty cool about it, in terms of just saying 'turn the music down,' not arresting people, or whatever. And, um, I had an encounter when I was like, out at a location with a beau, and I guess it was technically 'public' and THAT was really freaking embarrassing, but anyway a couple of years later I was in a very serious automobile accident (I was a passenger, no one was doing anything, it was 'broad daylight,' hah, and some dumb woman just decided to BACK OUT onto a busy highway, with predictable results. Well, here's what I remember, I was crunched up under the car's dashboard and had to be cut out with the jaws of life, and there were freaking reporters there trying to get pictures and my friend who was driving was up in their faces birds flying and the cops directed her to the back of a squad car, shielded ME from the cameras as the EMTs cut me out of the car and cut my clothes off to see where all the blood was coming from, and then rushed her off to the hospital after me, never charged her for anything and came to visit me to make sure I was OK. And later on, I sued that stupid woman for her stupid actions, (yes, she got a ticket but it was a misdemeanor for causing an accident, wtf??) and even though I won it still didn't pay enough for the fact that I had 6 broken ribs, a punctured lung, and a mouthful of broken teeth that are still costing me $$$ 30 years later. The best thing I remember from that whole experience were the cops who held my hands as I was cut from the metal of the car and shielded my body with their own so reporters couldn't take a pic, took care of my teenaged friend who went completely nuts when the reporters tried to video me still trapped in the car and came to see me later. It made an impact, you know? So maybe I'm biased.

I think the DARE program is great, however I do have to say that ALL the stoner kids in high school paid big bucks for the DARE program tshirts that kids in middle school get. :doh:

On one of our threads here, I read that OW weighs 175#. May be so, may not. At any rate, there is a minimum height and weight set for police officers, or so I've heard before. If this is so, he is at least the minimum or more. And further, if this is so ... what are the requirements in Ferguson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur