MO - Grief & protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the same reason they drink Purple Drank? It has alcohol in it? Honestly who knows. It sounds like something that a bored idiot came up with that then got passed on to "celebrities" who then passed it on to those that listen to their music/watch their shows/look up to them.

MOO
bbm

lol I love your answer. :laughing:

If I may, with respect, say that most of us who are white do not have parents or grandparents who could not use white toilets, eat at white lunch counters, attend white schools or have their supposed constitutionally-assured votes "lost" in the ballot box. And worst of all, stand the very real chance of being the victim of physical violence/death at the hands of vigilante mobs or even LE.

This is our past, this is their past. Our experiences shape who we are, who we trust and how we respond. And although things are better with each generation, please remember, there are men MB's age who have family members who are still alive who lived through discrimination that hopefully, this country will never see again. But when you have a knowledge and understanding of what prior generations of your family/community experienced, it becomes a part of you.

I really don't mean to soapbox it(although I guess I am), but I can honestly say that I am thankful everyday for being a member of a privileged group. My ancestors came to this country and fought for its independence because they WANTED to. They were landowners, and yes, slave owners. :( They had choices, voices and respect. They obeyed the laws because they MADE them. The laws benefitted their interests.

All I want to bring home here is that not every person springs fully formed from a place of benign neutrality. When societal strictures behoove your agenda, it is awfully easy to walk the straight and narrow. After all, your dad painted the line.

But when you come from generation after generation of mistreatment and oppression, you may not view the world the same as a person who has never had to worry that looking someone in the eye can mean you are being insubordinate. I cannot imagine what it must be like to share that mistrust generationally.

Stepping down off soapbox now. Sorry.

This post does not mean I believe MB's death was because he was black. It means that I understand the upset of the black community. Whether OW was right or wrong, remains to be confirmed. But I try very hard in my life to understand where people are "coming from" before I dismiss their views. I hope they will do the same for me.

I get where you're coming from, I truly do. But I think it is important to note that not all white people came to this country 'cause they wanted to. Some were being genocided in the country they were from by oppressors and heck, the good ole' USA was fighting wars and needed fresh bodies to carry on with the war machine 'cause war is a part of our history in this country. So they were welcomed with open arms. Many of the ships they came over on were called "floating coffins" for a reason. The Italian culture had heard that America's streets were paved with gold (and they had suffered lots of poverty and political strife in Italy) so they came over. When they arrived, not only were the streets not paved--they wanted the Italians to do it! (This expression I read in a monument on Ellis Island--true!).
So there were droves from many countries that came over only to barely step foot on this soil and were enlisted into a war they had no dog in the fight for. And then they had to build the railroads literally by hand. And then had signs put outside their neighboring stores "No *** need apply".
Many had it tough that came over for **generations** afterwards and I won't even get into the Native Americans and the genocide that occurred there (and perhaps still does to this day). Let's not even talk about what happened to the Jews during the last 100 years.
Some Europeans came over to live in "Hell's Kitchen" tenements that were entirely unsanitary. Central Park was used as a disposal for dead bodies many years ago. My point being is everyone has a culture. We all have our past. It's important to understand everyone's culture--not just your own. What we do in the today and in the future is what builds a legacy.

I think it hurts a culture if they feel that certain groups are out to get them and are holding them back. It creates excuses, anger and hatred.
I am not so sure that what is happening in certain cultures is entirely about discrimination that did occur generations past: I think it has to do with cultural issues new today. Sadly, glorification of a gangster lifestyle, criminal acts considered a "badge" of honor, drugs, lack of emphasis on education, family breakdown, latchkey kid syndrome, etc seems to be the more current issues if you ask me. There's a lot of statistics and info out there to be studied.
I am not insensitive....just wanted to point out that there's many different viewpoints to a very complex topic and not everyone of a certain color/race feels the same way which is fine as we are all entitled to our own perspectives and viewpoints.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/25/u...ast-weeks-grappling-with-lifes-mysteries.html

* calling father at 1 a.m. agitated over vision he'd had of Satan chasing an angel
* "dabbled in drugs and alcohol"
* "got into at least one scuffle with a neighbor"
* "his grades were kind of edgy"
* talked about getting a job where his friend Brandon worked - but didn't
* talked about working at Family Dollar his cousin manages - but didn't
* graduated from the worst high school in the area, after previously attending at least 3 others in the area, almost as bad

Betty, thank you, I know I don't say this well, but as a teenager I had 'mixed' interactions withs cops. First, they used to get called to my parents' house a lot because my older brother and his friend were smoking pot and being loud in the driveway, not driving anywhere or hurting anyone, mind you, but just being loud and OK, obnoxious. I have to say, the cops were really pretty cool about it, in terms of just saying 'turn the music down,' not arresting people, or whatever. And, um, I had an encounter when I was like, out at a location with a beau, and I guess it was technically 'public' and THAT was really freaking embarrassing, but anyway a couple of years later I was in a very serious automobile accident (I was a passenger, no one was doing anything, it was 'broad daylight,' hah, and some dumb woman just decided to BACK OUT onto a busy highway, with predictable results. Well, here's what I remember, I was crunched up under the car's dashboard and had to be cut out with the jaws of life, and there were freaking reporters there trying to get pictures and my friend who was driving was up in their faces birds flying and the cops directed her to the back of a squad car, shielded ME from the cameras as the EMTs cut me out of the car and cut my clothes off to see where all the blood was coming from, and then rushed her off to the hospital after me, never charged her for anything and came to visit me to make sure I was OK. And later on, I sued that stupid woman for her stupid actions, (yes, she got a ticket but it was a misdemeanor for causing an accident, wtf??) and even though I won it still didn't pay enough for the fact that I had 6 broken ribs, a punctured lung, and a mouthful of broken teeth that are still costing me $$$ 30 years later. The best thing I remember from that whole experience were the cops who held my hands as I was cut from the metal of the car and shielded my body with their own so reporters couldn't take a pic, took care of my teenaged friend who went completely nuts when the reporters tried to video me still trapped in the car and came to see me later. It made an impact, you know? So maybe I'm biased.

hugssss :heart:

Let's try not to go too far off topic here. Maybe they will release some information tomorrow. Where this post falls does not reflect on any posts that are before or after. Just a friendly reminder. :eek:fftobed:

rsbm/bbm: By looking at the "who are you?" poll of WS members, most are crime victims/family members, and most are women. Each has a personal bias due to each individual situation that got them that "label"- whether they are consciously aware of it or not, and if they can put it aside for every case they participate in, imo. And being female is an experience no man can replicate and identify with.

In fact, the majority of the public are not benignly neutral either, due to upbringing, gender, personal experience, etc etc. I honestly think everyone here is trying to do the best they can to understand how/why others form the opinions they do.

:clap::tyou::cheer:

And yet it's on the way to sometime IMO in the near future becoming legal in every state....
It has elevated to a new level now.
Just smoking it isn't the "in" thing now. Google "dabs" or "butane hash oil"
Not cool imo.

All posts are MOO

Judge Alex, on the Kelly Files, said they will not be able to get his juvie records if there are any.

Late joining the topic this evening but wanted to make sure this was posted. TIA if it is already here. I will not link the reporter's website but it is accessible via the AOL link provided or by google.

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/08/...enile-criminal-record/20953546/?ncid=webmail1

"An explosive new lawsuit filed in St. Louis seeking the release of Michael Brown's juvenile criminal record alleges the slain teen was a gang member and faced a second degree murder charge."

IMHO, great to have independent investigative reporters!

Judge Alex, on the Kelly Files, said they will not be able to get his juvie records if there are any.

Grrrrrrr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Judge Alex, answered Megyn Kelly's question as it pertains to ODW's grand jury trial, imo. The lawsuit is due to the FOIA request denial and states that the juvenile record becomes public once a person is deceased.. jmo

I read this judge was on another show earlier. Idk, this reporter is determined, and he seems to have a pretty competent lawyer. Hell I thought the argument sounded good! The case they cited was pretty compelling, and the argument of reverse racism is definitely an angle they left themselves open to. If denied again, possibly a judge down the road will feel it's more relevant if or when this goes to a jury :dunno:

someone asked about handed-ness- earlier I stated I thought OW was right handed due to his award photo. I just looked around at photos of Mike, and I'd say MB was also right handed. imo

Betty, thank you, I know I don't say this well, but as a teenager I had 'mixed' interactions withs cops. First, they used to get called to my parents' house a lot because my older brother and his friend were smoking pot and being loud in the driveway, not driving anywhere or hurting anyone, mind you, but just being loud and OK, obnoxious. I have to say, the cops were really pretty cool about it, in terms of just saying 'turn the music down,' not arresting people, or whatever. And, um, I had an encounter when I was like, out at a location with a beau, and I guess it was technically 'public' and THAT was really freaking embarrassing, but anyway a couple of years later I was in a very serious automobile accident (I was a passenger, no one was doing anything, it was 'broad daylight,' hah, and some dumb woman just decided to BACK OUT onto a busy highway, with predictable results. Well, here's what I remember, I was crunched up under the car's dashboard and had to be cut out with the jaws of life, and there were freaking reporters there trying to get pictures and my friend who was driving was up in their faces birds flying and the cops directed her to the back of a squad car, shielded ME from the cameras as the EMTs cut me out of the car and cut my clothes off to see where all the blood was coming from, and then rushed her off to the hospital after me, never charged her for anything and came to visit me to make sure I was OK. And later on, I sued that stupid woman for her stupid actions, (yes, she got a ticket but it was a misdemeanor for causing an accident, wtf??) and even though I won it still didn't pay enough for the fact that I had 6 broken ribs, a punctured lung, and a mouthful of broken teeth that are still costing me $$$ 30 years later. The best thing I remember from that whole experience were the cops who held my hands as I was cut from the metal of the car and shielded my body with their own so reporters couldn't take a pic, took care of my teenaged friend who went completely nuts when the reporters tried to video me still trapped in the car and came to see me later. It made an impact, you know? So maybe I'm biased.
(((Hugs)))

IA about the bias we all bring to these different threads. It's inevitable. I don't think it detracts from the discussion as long as we can realize and understand that it's likely an influence :)

someone asked about handed-ness- earlier I stated I thought OW was right handed due to his award photo. I just looked around at photos of Mike, and I'd say MB was also right handed. imo

I re watched the quickmart vid, and he seemed to do everything with his right hand.

Judge Alex, answered Megyn Kelly's question as it pertains to ODW's grand jury trial, imo. The lawsuit is due to the FOIA request denial and states that the juvenile record becomes public once a person is deceased.. jmo

Ah, nice catch.

I read this judge was on another show earlier. Idk, this reporter is determined, and he seems to have a pretty competent lawyer. Hell I thought the argument sounded good! The case they cited was pretty compelling, and the argument of reverse racism is definitely an angle they left themselves open to. If denied again, possibly a judge down the road will feel it's more relevant if or when this goes to a jury :dunno:

And as I've said previously, he is a resource guy...there are plenty of ways to skin a cat...if there are juvenile charges...chances are there was a victim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karmalicious478