MO - Grief & protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know when Holder meets with Officer Wilson and his family?

I've never heard of a governor demanding a prosecution. With Zimmerman we saw the FL guv appoint a special prosecutor to take over the case when the county prosecutor didn't believe there was enough evidence to bring a charge. MO law doesn't allow that unless the local prosecutor has a demonstrable conflict of interest iirc, which SL County DA McCullock does not.

IMO, what the FL guv did WAS demanding a prosecution. He appointed someone who he knew would do his bidding.

BBM-Caveat

This is Dr. Erik Mitchell:

You left out this tidbit. Sounds like Dr. Mitchell was the subject of a witch hunt much like the one now underway in Ferguson, MO.

Dr. Mitchell was not available for comment today. Mr. Cominsky said Dr. Mitchell was "the victim of a tremendous amount of accusation and slander." Dr. Mitchell has a $3 million slander lawsuit pending against one of his accusers.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/11/20/n...al-examiner-agrees-to-quit-after-inquiry.html

Interesting 5 minute video, behind the scenes with the police tactical team as they warn protestors to leave and then start firing tear gas (after protestors started throwing objects at them).

http://www.stltoday.com/news/multim...tml_7fb666cb-31bd-5d52-a64c-5ad86a9d685e.html

(FYI I was happy not to hear any barking dogs in the video since there were houses right there, I would hate to think morons might leave their dogs in the yard when the tear gas started to shoot all over the neighborhood).

My BIL is retired San Jose LE. If LE is injured, they retreat and wait for back up. Specially if they are by themselves. Wilson didn't even know if BOTH suspects MAY have had weapons........that would have been extreme recklessness on his part to pursue AFTER being injured.
My BIL put his life on the line everyday for his community, but his main goal was to come back home to his family alive after every shift.

BBM - Not always:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2013/02/15/hes-going-back-to-the-bible.html

This reminded me of a situation I had. It was about 11 in morning, just got home from work and parked in back of house. All of a sudden this guy just walks in the front door. Seems as if we mutually surprised each other. My dogs where behind me as to say we got your back, but you lead the way. The guy kept telling me he was suppose to meet his friend here, didn't I know so and so. I kept calm, all 5'4". 119 pounds of me while sternly suggesting it was in his best interests to leave NOW or me and my dogs were going to get up close and personal. Since he was just in doorway it was fairly easy to push guy outside advancing slowly towards him. At one point halfway to front gate he stated to move towards me, me and dogs bum rushed him and he ran out of gate and I cannot tell you which direction as I was concerned his buddy might be inside.

I got my gun out and started a walkthru saying this was your chance to come out because if I find you I will shoot. Once I was sure house was clear I placed gun under couch cushion and took a nap. I never once thought to call police. I did call my dad and he said you got your gun, you're gonna be fine. When hubby got home he was alarmed and bought me a cell phone next day to have handy to call police.

If I would have had a gun in my house at the time, I would have ran to it and tried to shoot the as he was calmly leaving.

Eta: I didn't have a way to defend myself against my attacker. If I would have I guarantee I wouldn't live with the thought he will one day try this again.

Eta #2: it is also not my job to stop violent offenders.

My BIL is retired San Jose LE. If LE is injured, they retreat and wait for back up. Specially if they are by themselves. Wilson didn't even know if BOTH suspects MAY have had weapons........that would have been extreme recklessness on his part to pursue AFTER being injured.
My BIL put his life on the line everyday for his community, but his main goal was to come back home to his family alive after every shift.

A police officer's duty is to serve and protect the public. Retreating would have continued to place the general public in danger from the angry criminal who just assaulted a police officer and attempted to take his weapon. In this case, retreating would be an act of cowardice. I applaud the Officer Wilson's courage.

JMO

Holder is very familiar with protests. He held an "armed" takeover of the ROTC office while at Columbia University because he wanted the name of the [closed] ROTC office to be renamed the Malcolm X Lounge. Ultimately, it was renamed the Malcolm X Lounge. Barack Obama frequently visited the Malcolm X Lounge.

http://www.wikicu.com/Malcolm_X_Lounge

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/barack-x

I am eager to learn of Eric Holder's speech to the students at FVCC regarding the physical injuries to Officer Darren Wilson, the subsequent shooting death of MB and his advice to the protestors. This tragic story involving Wilson and Brown has reached all nations who are, in turn, watching us.

moo omho mho and all that jazz

Just watched CNN. Holders buddy, Van Jones is in town.

He could have proceeded against him, thus making the decision to prosecute, without having the GJ decide. Going to the GJ means they are determining probable cause and making the decision to prosecute. The normal use of the term "prosecute" means the courtroom proceeding against the criminal defendant. Since The Gov is a lawyer and was the state AG I would imagine he has a clear understanding of these terms and what the public thinks they mean. It seemed pretty clear he was telling certain people what they wanted to hear, that the officer should be arrested and tried. As a constitutional officer that was an irresponsible statement. You don't get to skip or forget about due process becuse you have angry voters yelling for prosecution before any probable cause has been established. He knew darn well what the protestors were demanding and he made sure he made a statement that would be satisfactory to them.

I agree that the GOV should not have put it that way. It was dumb. But IF a DA is taking a case to a GJ it is the DA's duty to believe that the case should be prosecuted, and should vigorously advocate for that outcome to the GJ. If the GJ doesn't buy it (and they can subpoena more witnesses....as well as invite but not compel DW) then, there will be no state charges. As I said before, if the DA cannot vigorously advocate for prosecution he has NO BUSINESS taking a weak case to the GJ. JMO

I agree. Children learn at a very young age the difference between the exercise of authority and the abuse of authority. Teachers, parents, police are all in positions of authority at any age. If someone disobeys a legitimate directive from someone in a position of authority, there are consequences. A cop telling someone to get out of the street and on to a sidewalk is a pretty simple, legitimate directive Brown chose to disobey.

JMO

I'm an old so-and-so, but I thought that Jaywalking was a ticketable infraction. First a warning, then a ticket. JMO

I'll translate... don't worry if the GJ doesn't indict him because the feds will get him.
:shush:
A half assed attorney will have the Justice Department laughed out of the court house.
Defense question to Witness 1. So please describe again how a 175# cop sitting in his SUV patrol unit grabbed a 294# man by the neck and pulled him into the SUVs window!

Attorney for witness dispels rumors that story has changed

Dorian Johnson, witness to the Michael Brown killing, has not met with investigators since he was first questioned and has not recanted his statement, his lawyer said today.

Attorney Freeman Bosley said Johnson's statement that Ferguson Police Officer Darren Wilson chased Brown, who put up his hands in surrender before being fatally wounded, stands. Bosley said he has been dealing with rumors that Johnson has changed his story most of the day.

- Staff, 1:15 p.m. Wednesday

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_240a2e9c-a160-5d69-8a7b-c98e04d027d1.html
I'm so jaded by all the spin, I can't stop myself from thinking about what he left out. As in, the part about what his client claimed happened in the physical struggle before Wilson chased MB.

After all, we have so many who want to convict the cop saying that "scuffle" didn't matter.

It matters a lot to me, so I want to know if his client has changed his story on that part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18