GUILTY MO - Hailey Owens, 10, Springfield, 18 Feb 2014 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.ozarksfirst.com/story/d/...for-hailey-owens/38557/-MQjCPGrykq1PUYLWYEYpw

Story.jpg

Bands will begin playing music at 4 pm where there will be food, an auction, raffles, and other events all to benefit the family of Hailey Owens.

Does anyone know when Hailey's actual funeral will be or where?

There is no information about it yet but people are fundraising for the memorial fund to help pay for the funeral. All the forensic tests on Hailey's remains will need to be done before Hailey is released for the funeral they may already have been completed.

My 8-year-old niece (9 soon) is a Haley. My heart hurts so bad for Hailey Owens. Haley ( my niece) was 2-years-old when Caylee's story broke. Same age as Caylee. Certain cases hurt ( although ALL are important) when you have a personal attachment. Age? Name? Etc...

My 8 year old niece (Haley) just got diagnosed with Lupus. It HURTS to know that this poor child has a life long disease. However... I would take that diagnosis before I would ever take the pain and suffering that Hailey's family is dealing with. My niece's disease is semi manageable. There is treatment ( for most). I would probably DIE of extreme stress IF this had happened to my Haley.

My niece, Stephanie, was the same age ( 11) as Carlie Brucia ( sorry if I spelled it wrong) when she was abducted, raped, and murdered in Sarasota, Florida. I made my niece watch the video of Carlie's abduction over and over again. Poor Carlie was an example of what NOT to do. Although her innocent life was lost... it gave me a platform for my own niece. Of what NOT to do if you are ever confronted by a stranger. Unfortunately for Hailey... she was actually grabbed and forced intoa car which, statistically, reduces the chance of survival.

However, both my nieces, have been taught ( as HORRIFIC as it seems) that IF they are ever in that kind of situation too FIGHT so hard that there will be DNA evidence. Never to actually surrender to go anywhere. Tell them to kill you right there and then because they are going to kill you anyways. Does it suck to have this conversation with children??? Hell yes!!! But it is important.

This part caught my attention.

"My son had minimal contact with him. He said he just would not get a good vibe off of him. Creeped him out," says Marretta Gunder.

Gunder says she got the same feeling her son did after she saw Wood in the school hallway one day.

"Grabbing himself and his private area. He wouldn't smile. He acted odd," says Gunder.

"I think he had some problems in his head. But I do think that he was a good guy, especially as a football coach," says Wassam.

Inevitably, there is something off about those people. I see this over and over.

I pray this isn't the case, as I hope her parents are allowed an open casket, if that is their choice. A very dear friend of mine was killed in a horrific car accident and decapitated. Because of that his parents were never allowed to see him again and therefore it was a closed casket. It was very hard on them and I hope that Hailey's parents don't have to go through that as well.

I saw the pictures of the community together and I got tears. It is so wonderful to see how amazing everyone is and how they are supporting her family. I still have my porch light on and I will continue to keep it on for her.

-----------
Hi hockeymom, a bit off topic. I dont believe anyone should have the right to say a parent cannot see their child because of condition of the body. I was not allowed to see my stillborn daughter. My daughter would be 63 years old now. I have tried to envision her through the years and I still cry because I couldn't see her. Her dad took a few pictures but in those days they weren't too plain. If a parent chooses not to see, that is one thing but taking the right away from them is sadistic. I'm sure you'd agree. God Bless the townspeople..:seeya:

-----------
Hi hockeymom, a bit off topic. I dont believe anyone should have the right to say a parent cannot see their child because of condition of the body. I was not allowed to see my stillborn daughter. My daughter would be 63 years old now. I have tried to envision her through the years and I still cry because I couldn't see her. Her dad took a few pictures but in those days they weren't too plain. If a parent chooses not to see, that is one thing but taking the right away from them is sadistic. I'm sure you'd agree. God Bless the townspeople..:seeya:

I just wanted to say sorry for your loss Nore I cannot imagine losing a child.

My 8-year-old niece (9 soon) is a Haley. My heart hurts so bad for Hailey Owens. Haley ( my niece) was 2-years-old when Caylee's story broke. Same age as Caylee. Certain cases hurt ( although ALL are important) when you have a personal attachment. Age? Name? Etc...

My 8 year old niece (Haley) just got diagnosed with Lupus. It HURTS to know that this poor child has a life long disease. However... I would take that diagnosis before I would ever take the pain and suffering that Hailey's family is dealing with. My niece's disease is semi manageable. There is treatment ( for most). I would probably DIE of extreme stress IF this had happened to my Haley.

My niece, Stephanie, was the same age ( 11) as Carlie Brucia ( sorry if I spelled it wrong) when she was abducted, raped, and murdered in Sarasota, Florida. I made my niece watch the video of Carlie's abduction over and over again. Poor Carlie was an example of what NOT to do. Although her innocent life was lost... it gave me a platform for my own niece. Of what NOT to do if you are ever confronted by a stranger. Unfortunately for Hailey... she was actually grabbed and forced intoa car which, statistically, reduces the chance of survival.

However, both my nieces, have been taught ( as HORRIFIC as it seems) that IF they are ever in that kind of situation too FIGHT so hard that there will be DNA evidence. Never to actually surrender to go anywhere. Tell them to kill you right there and then because they are going to kill you anyways. Does it suck to have this conversation with children??? Hell yes!!! But it is important.

It's very sensible lolamoon08 to speak to your loved ones about this. Children especially and even adults need to be taught what to do if they are in danger. I don't know if children are taught what to do if a stranger grabs them at school. I have spoken to my cousins children 5 and 6 about it. They are not allowed to go to the toy section of the supermarket or toilet unaccompanied it is not safe.

We weren't allowed to see my cousin. Too much "animal activity". Her mom insisted and pretty much went comatose when she saw her. She really wanted an open casket. The mortician worked all night to try to "fix" her but couldn't. But I digress. For her mom it was closure, there was no more doubt for her. Even though DNA and identification found with the body proved it wasn't real to her until she saw her baby girl on that steel slab, whatever condition she was in that was still her daughter. She got to say her goodbyes and told us not to see the body because it was "gruesome". I felt awful for her. I feel the same way for this family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OT I know, but my husband was killed almost 17 years ago and I was advised by everyone that "I wouldn't want to remember him like that." I still don't know if that was the right decision, I've never really had closure. I still have dreams where he comes home after being on a trip for years and years.

I feel so bad for her parents and all the family members.

Updated court info re Craig Michael Wood:

Wood is being held without bond and currently being represented by:

HATLEY , CHRISTOPHER SHANE , Attorney for Defendant
PUBLIC DEFENDERS OFFICE
630 N ROBBERSON
SPRINGFIELD, MO 65806

Snipped from Docket Entries:

02/21/2014

Preliminary Hearing Scheduled
Scheduled For: 04/07/2014; 10:00 AM ;
DAN IMHOF; Greene

Criminal Setting Scheduled
Scheduled For: 03/19/2014; 9:00 AM
; DAN IMHOF; Greene

Arraignment Held
DEFT APPEARS IN PERSON AND BY ATTY HATLEY. CHARGES READ. REAP 3-19-14 AT 9:00 AM. HELD WITHOUT BOND. PRELIMINARY HEARING SET 4-7-14 AT 10:00 AM. DEFT'S MOTION TO PRESERVE EVIDENCE SUSTAINED WITHOUT OBJECTION. JUDGE DAN IMHOF/COPY OF DOCKET ENTRY TO GCJ. TDT

Motion for Change of Judge
REQUEST FOR CHANGE OF JUDGE; MOTION TO SHORTEN TIME; NOTICE OF HEARING SET FOR 02-21-2014 AT 9:00 A.M. FILED. /KDG
Filed By: CHRISTOPHER SHANE HATLEY
On Behalf Of: CRAIG MICHAEL WOOD

Source:
https://www.courts.mo.gov/casenet/cases/searchCases.do
Your Missouri Courts - Case.net

Type the following in the appropriate boxes to see info:
Craig Michael Wood

I do hope that in that place where Hailey is now she knows. That she knows how in her young life in spite of tragedy she affected thousands. Tens of thousands of people who never met each other to come together against evil. But at the same time look at the one next to you holding a candle of hope and still trust and love. And if your out there without the candle...you can still turn your porch light. And have the Hailey affect.

If this has been already posted, please disregard.
~~~~~~~

Who is Craig Michael Wood?
Interviews create portrait of man accused in girl's abduction, slaying

Feb. 21, 2014

Courier-Journal
Louisville, Ky

bilde

Craig Wood in 2004, taken with the band Uncle Fudd. / FILE PHOTO

Snipped:

Past problems

Old court documents of Wood reveal relatively minor past criminal charges, admitted substance abuse issues and a struggle in college due to partying.

His most recent conviction was in 2001 for illegal taking of wildlife. Court documents say Wood used an unplugged shotgun while turkey hunting near Ritter Elementary.

A 1990 conviction, for possession of marijuana, reveals that Wood described some relatives as “a bunch of boozers” and himself struggled with alcohol. He said his parents never touched illegal drugs and did not drink to excess, but he described a more distant relative as an alcoholic.

He also described a past conviction — not detailed in the drug program assessment included in court documents — for careless and imprudent driving. He told officials he had originally been charged with driving while intoxicated in that 1987 case, but pleaded the charge down.

“Craig reports worrying about his drinking,” the assessment report notes.

He got a bachelor’s degree in psychology with a minor in criminal justice from then-Southwest Missouri State in December 1992.

Read more:

http://www.courier-journal.com/arti.../Craig-Michael-Wood-Springfield-girl-abducted

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/02/20/4838949/past-of-man-suspected-of-killing.html
Kansas City Star - Kansas City, MO -- 2/20/14

Past of man suspected of killing southwest Missouri girl holds few clues

Snipped:

Is there a past?

Only 10 percent of child abduction killers are older than 40, according to the Justice Department study.

So it’s no wonder that police agencies in southwest Missouri wonder if there’s anything else in Wood’s past.

In the hours after Wood’s arrest, Springfield-area police agencies began checking files to see if his name popped up in other investigations or if there were any similar unsolved cases.

“That’s one of the first things I checked, to see if we had anything,” said Ash Grove Cpl. Jacob Marler. “Any prior contacts? But nothing. Cold cases of ours with him as a suspect? No we do not.”

In the 2006 study, almost half of the child killers analyzed had a substantial history of crimes against children before they killed their victim.

Experts say investigators will try to learn if there is something in Wood’s background that hasn’t been revealed yet. They likely will construct a timeline of his activities starting in his teen years, in part to see where he has traveled.

It would be highly unusual for a man his age to commit this impulsive act without having a history of risky behavior, the experts said.

“You don’t have this kind of behavior that you can turn off and on like a light switch,” said O’Toole. “No one just snaps for no reason whatsoever and goes out and kidnaps a 10-year-old girl, takes her somewhere and then kills her. And then they morph back into being a normal, everyday person.

“That doesn’t happen.”

~~~~~~~~
Above bolded by AnnTx

If this has been already posted, please disregard.
~~~~~~~

Who is Craig Michael Wood?
Interviews create portrait of man accused in girl's abduction, slaying

Feb. 21, 2014

Courier-Journal
Louisville, Ky

bilde

Craig Wood in 2004, taken with the band Uncle Fudd. / FILE PHOTO

Snipped:

Past problems

Old court documents of Wood reveal relatively minor past criminal charges, admitted substance abuse issues and a struggle in college due to partying.

His most recent conviction was in 2001 for illegal taking of wildlife. Court documents say Wood used an unplugged shotgun while turkey hunting near Ritter Elementary.

A 1990 conviction, for possession of marijuana, reveals that Wood described some relatives as “a bunch of boozers” and himself struggled with alcohol. He said his parents never touched illegal drugs and did not drink to excess, but he described a more distant relative as an alcoholic.

He also described a past conviction — not detailed in the drug program assessment included in court documents — for careless and imprudent driving. He told officials he had originally been charged with driving while intoxicated in that 1987 case, but pleaded the charge down.

“Craig reports worrying about his drinking,” the assessment report notes.

He got a bachelor’s degree in psychology with a minor in criminal justice from then-Southwest Missouri State in December 1992.

Read more:

http://www.courier-journal.com/arti.../Craig-Michael-Wood-Springfield-girl-abducted

So the defendant studied criminal justice I wonder if this means he will act like he is a lawyer in his trial, try and work the system to his advantage or be a difficult client for his attorney because he knows best. I wonder why he studied this along with psychology. Regardless I hope Hailey and her family get criminal justice for what this monster has done to them and he gets what he deserves.

Read the book 'A Tree Grows In Brooklyn' and see how the neighborhood and the family dealt with a child predator. In the 40's.

Tomorrow's Springfield News-Leader will be running Hailey's obituary.
https://www.facebook.com/HaileyOwensInfo

Visitation- 2-25-14 4pm-8pm
Funeral- 2-26-14 2pm

Both of these will be held at Ridgecrest Baptist Church
The graveside service is only open to the family please respect our wishes

http://www.news-leader.com/interactive/article/20140222/NEWS01/140222001/Live-coverage-Hailey-Owens-candlelight-vigil-march
News-Leader.com - Springfield, MO 2/22/14

Live coverage of Hailey Owens candlelight vigil and march

Click on the video box. Tweets and many pics!

Snipped:

Tweet by:

Daniel Shedd‏@DShedd75

Jefferson Footbridge lighted in Purple, Hailey Owen's favorite color @kolr10kozl #SGF pic.twitter.com/WE3NwVY61f

BhHxOOxCMAAvXA3.jpg

~~~ End of Tweet ~~~

About the Jefferson Footbridge in Springfield, MO:

Jefferson Avenue Footbridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wiki - Jefferson Ave. Footbridge

Snipped:

The 562-foot (171 m) Jefferson Avenue Footbridge in Springfield, Missouri, built in 1902 it allows pedestrians to cross 13 sets of railroad tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024