MO - Kara Kopetsky, 17 - 2007; Jessica Runions, 21 - 2016; found deceased - *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, first time poster here! I'm obsessed with this case and I'm wondering how his level of intoxication will come into play. Does anyone have any thoughts about it? Will it help in a conviction or hinder?

Hi! :wagon:

I'm not sure about the intoxication aspect in this case. I guess that KY could go for the intoxication defense and try to claim diminished responsibility for his crime on the basis that he was heavily intoxicated.
I honestly don’t think it would hinder a jury’s decision to find him guilty, though. He was voluntarily intoxicated, which would make it more difficult for him to establish a defense on that basis.

I would also argue that he knew well enough what he was doing to not only commit the murder, but to place his second victim in the same location as he placed the first ten years ago. He also started texting others around 2 am after the party. IMO, Jessica had already been placed in the woods by that time and KY was looking for an alibi so that he could have someone vouch for him when LE came knocking. Problem was, he couldn’t get anyone to come get him. So he waited, went to work in the morning, was dismissed, and then spent the rest of his day waiting for his big brother to show up so that he could ditch Jessica’s SUV and then ditch town. He burned the car, he got rid of Jessica's clothes and other items. He fled town. I don’t think a jury will hear all of that and think, but he was intoxicated, so he wasn’t responsible for his actions.

If KY goes for the intoxication defense, the burden will rest on him to provide some evidence of intoxication that can be put before the jury. Then the burden will switch back to the prosecution to establish beyond a reasonable doubt that despite that evidence, KY had knowledge that was doing wrong when he committed his crimes.​ I don't think intoxication will matter. KY's actions reveal his thought processes, and in my opinion, he knew full and well exactly what he was doing. All it takes is one juror to disagree with that, though.

Fair enough. Maybe it would impact how he is charged?

It might impact a charge. Then again, there are no toxicology reports proving how drunk he was at the time he left the party before he murdered Jessica, so they may not choose to acknowledge it. They would have to rely solely on the words of others at the party, who likely were intoxicated as well. The word of one drunk person’s for another may not add up in the eyes of the jury.

Also, intoxication won’t excuse his conduct in the eyes of the law but I suppose it may help him in that it would possibly deprive him of the capacity to form intent to murder. So it may help him to avoid a first degree murder charge and the death penalty. Then again, he was coherent enough to hide the body and start trying to form an alibi, so that may not fly for him either.

Ok, thank you! It just seems like he skates on most of the things he's done and would hate to see that happen again.

Ok, thank you! It just seems like he skates on most of the things he's done and would hate to see that happen again.

I have a feeling the community will aggressively try and put him away. Everyone seems to has the same consensus.

Yes, he does which makes me a little nervous living in the KC area. I think even if he were to walk he wouldn't be able to escape it. He's too notorious and he's too easy to spot with all those tattoos. He's also the most hated person in the KC area right now. If he doesn't get his justice in prison, he'll get it on the streets. But I think that KCPD knows what they have and they're doing their due diligence to put him away.

First degree murder is so difficult to prove. I think we will see a send degree murder if we're lucky. I think they will plea or try if it's not a rock solid case.

First degree murder is so difficult to prove. I think we will see a send degree murder if we're lucky. I think they will plea or try if it's not a rock solid case.

It is a strong possibility but it makes my heart ache. Second degree murder carries a penalty of 10 to 30 years in prison in Missouri. I just can't wrap my mind around the idea that he could legally get ten or fifteen years with possible time served and an early release if he's behaved himself behind bars, especially after he's ended the lives and dreams of two young women who barely had a start. At the minimum, he'd be out around age forty. At the max, 60. Old to enough to have missed out on life, but not so old he couldn't continue with his evil ways. I'm praying they go for the full force of the law and charge first with lesser included penalties to cover all the bases.

Is this a death penalty state? Also if he's charged with both murders couldn't he serve 30 for Jessica and then 30 for Kara.

Is this a death penalty state? Also if he's charged with both murders couldn't he serve 30 for Jessica and then 30 for Kara.

Yes, Missouri is a death penalty state. I'm assuming he'd serve for both girls, but even with a max of 30 for both he could still get parole. I was basically going worst case scenario in my last post as far as his sentencing. But even 60 years is not enough IMO.

Yes, Missouri is a death penalty state. I'm assuming he'd serve for both girls, but even with a max of 30 for both he could still get parole. I was basically going worst case scenario in my last post as far as his sentencing. But even 60 years is not enough IMO.

I agree. I want to see the death penalty here more than not but I unfortunately don't think we will get it.

I had a dream about Kara last night. I hope her family gets answers soon.

http://www.kmov.com/story/35499364/...ress-concern-about-lag-time-for-testing-bones

The state of this kind of forensic science is really sad and surprising. It makes me even more irate at the college professor that told me CSI was just for TV and no point doing it as a career. I personally think there are way too many psych degrees and too little scientists.

I had a dream about Kara last night. I hope her family gets answers soon.

http://www.kmov.com/story/35499364/...ress-concern-about-lag-time-for-testing-bones

The state of this kind of forensic science is really sad and surprising. It makes me even more irate at the college professor that told me CSI was just for TV and no point doing it as a career. I personally think there are way too many psych degrees and too little scientists.

No point doing it as a career!? That professor should tell that to the families of victims, or people who’ve been working in CSI for their entire careers, see what kind of reaction he gets. How many people have been helped with the advancements of crime scene investigation and DNA analysis? Just…Wow. :facepalm:

I will say, I believe that part of the delay in KCMO is that we have SO many cases right now it’s a little ridiculous. As the crime rate continues to climb in the area, it will just get worse.

I’m hoping that the articles that were put out earlier in the month that said we could possibly have an answer by early to mid June are correct. I can’t imagine having to wait a year, and I can’t imagine the agony her parents must be going through to basically know they’ve found Kara but they still have to wait to start the process of getting justice for her.

ID replaying Kara's Disappeared episode right now. Given that the show is about 7 years old, I will be interested to see if/how they handle the update.

No update at all at the end of the old Disappeared show. But it reminded me of how much I admire the Beckfords. They were very supportive of Kelsey Smith's family just as they have been for Jessica's. It would be nice if the universe could pay that back by giving them some justice for their daughter.

No update at all at the end of the old Disappeared show. But it reminded me of how much I admire the Beckfords. They were very supportive of Kelsey Smith's family just as they have been for Jessica's. It would be nice if the universe could pay that back by giving them some justice for their daughter.

I remember seeing an interview a few years ago with Rhonda Beckford and she said something about how if she couldn't find Kara, then she could at least use her experience to help other mothers who were going through the hell of having a missing child. I have always admired her determination. It takes a truly strong person to provide strength for others going through the same nightmare. I really think that she and her family have been a Godsend to the Runions. And you can tell watching them together in interviews, that it goes both ways. They draw from one another's strength. When one is weak, the other carries the weight. Despite all the heartache and loss, the silver lining there I guess is that those families will forever have one other.

And yes, it would be nice if the universe would reward all of the Beckford's waiting and patience and willingness to help others by allowing them to finally get the justice that they need for their daughter. I believe it's coming soon.

It seems like forever waiting for the ID of the other set of remains. I hope identification really comes before the end of june. i have been following both girls cases since mid january and keep refreshing google with their names hoping the world gets the answers we have been waiting for. i hope both familys get justice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beffers101