MO MO - Kara Kopetsky, 17, Belton, 4 May 2007 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Blue Springs pool benefit raises $2,000 for Kara Kopetsky search fund
By KEVIN HOFFMANN The Kansas City Star Jul 11

A weekend benefit pool tournament in Blue Springs raised about $2,000 for the family of missing Belton teenager Kara Kopetsky.

Bill Fickle, co-owner of Sidepockets, said 32 players donated $20 to play in the eight-ball tournament held Sunday at the restaurant and pool hall near U.S. 40 and Missouri 7.

"It turned out great," he said. "The neat thing is that we had a lot of walk-in donations."

The event was organized by Kara's family and supporters, aimed at keeping attention on the case of the teen who has been missing for more than two months.

Radio personalities Mary McKenna and Dale Carter of KFKF 94.1 FM were on hand, along with ultimate fighter Franchesca Alcanter.

Several raffles were conducted throughout the afternoon and a portion of all soft drink sales went to the cause.

Fickle said he hoped the effort would keep the word out about Kara and that someone who sees her or knows about her disappearance will come forward.

Rhonda Beckford, Kara's mother, said the family was using proceeds from benefits to purchase items like T-shirts, fliers and buttons. The rest goes into a reward fund, she said. A Web site with information about the case lists a reward of up to $20,000 for information that leads to Kara's return home.

Kara, 17, was last seen May 4 at Belton High School. A call was made from her cell phone about 10 a.m. that day and the phone hasn't been used since.

Leads have provided no clues to her whereabouts.

"It wasn't a real happy Fourth of July," Beckford said. "We went through Mother's Day, Father's Day and now the Fourth and she's still missing."

Later this month, on July 21, Blue Springs Harley Davidson is sponsoring the Kara Kopetsky Open Bike Ride. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m. and the ride starts an hour later.

http://www.myspace.com/findkarakopetsky

Where is Kara???? Why doesnt anyone care but us??? I have sent out so many letters and I know you guys have too. Why is nothing being done.

Wanted to give everyone an update. The group of kids have been out to the lake a total of 14 times and have searched quite alot of the park but there are still places that have not been searched. Friday apparently LE arrived and asked them to leave the area and to discontinue any type of search. That any more activity that did not involve LE needed to be discussed and requested by Kara's parents. When one of the kids stated that it seemed like Kara had been forgotten, the officer told them that they would followup on any new information accordingly. When asked if the police department was actively working on this case they were told he couldnt discuss that and that Kara was an endangered runaway. I am relaying this conversation second hand, because I was not present. I don't know who called the police if it was someone at the park, or if it was Longview Lake security. I am not quite sure what to make of this, by saying she was an endangered runaway does that mean they arent really looking for her actively, they think she just ran away? Even if she did runaway why not look for her still, what am I missing here? Is there something we don't know and why havent the parents contacted anyone to do searches? I am assuming its the parents who are involved in the fundraisers that are scheduled so why not searches? Maybe they have and we just dont know it. Im rambling but im just perplexed at why nothing is being done to find Kara.

I hadnt heard anything about St. Louis, wonder if thats a possibility and St Louis police are working to locate her?

Busylady,
I sure hope & pray that your feeling better. Remember to take care of you.

Do you or Kara's family really feel she just ran away?
I can't imagine with her being just a runaway that she would not of just called her folks collect. Any girl 17 would know there folks were worried sick.

LE makes me mad just giving up until more leads come up.

I know her folks don't want to cause problems for LE but darn they serioulsy need to call Equi-Search. Especially with LE's attitude.

Has anyone talked to her family to know what they think? I suppose it is always easier for LE to believe that a teenager ran away because then they don't have to really search for them. They can just keep an eye out for them on the streets or as they patrol.

Do Kara's parents know that there are a lot of things that they can do without the approval of LE. If they feel that LE isn't really looking for her then they can call in Tim and Co and a lot of other organizations that help with searches. It sounds like they are on their own. If they really want to find their daughter then they need to get some things going to find her.

What has happened with the petition? Is they Attorney General going to investigate this case and how it has been handled? Is he going to put someone else on the case?

How can LE stop people from searching a park? That doesn't make much sense. They aren't doing any searches so why shouldn't people who care go out and search that park? Why don't they want people looking for Kara? If they think Kara is a run away then it shouldn't matter if people search for her or not. Maybe they are afraid that the community will find Kara and it will make them look bad!

I hope someone can talk to her parents to see if they need help getting organized and if they are aware of the things that they can do themselves.

Wanted to give everyone an update. The group of kids have been out to the lake a total of 14 times and have searched quite alot of the park but there are still places that have not been searched. Friday apparently LE arrived and asked them to leave the area and to discontinue any type of search. That any more activity that did not involve LE needed to be discussed and requested by Kara's parents. When one of the kids stated that it seemed like Kara had been forgotten, the officer told them that they would followup on any new information accordingly. When asked if the police department was actively working on this case they were told he couldnt discuss that and that Kara was an endangered runaway. I am relaying this conversation second hand, because I was not present. I don't know who called the police if it was someone at the park, or if it was Longview Lake security. I am not quite sure what to make of this, by saying she was an endangered runaway does that mean they arent really looking for her actively, they think she just ran away? Even if she did runaway why not look for her still, what am I missing here? Is there something we don't know and why havent the parents contacted anyone to do searches? I am assuming its the parents who are involved in the fundraisers that are scheduled so why not searches? Maybe they have and we just dont know it. Im rambling but im just perplexed at why nothing is being done to find Kara.
Busy, you are an angel!!! Hope you are feeling good.

Before I say what I am about to say I want FKK to know That I am sorry. I just love that girl and dont want her to be mad with what i am about to say. I have held this back as long as I can and as most of you know my level of frustration has grown quite a bit over these past couple of weeks. With that said...

Why are her parents not doing anything productive to find their daughter?? I know I and others here have spent many a nights searching for ways to help them along. I know FKK is passing this info onto them! Why no searches, why no news, why does everyone who does want to help get told it must come from the parents( i do know this one per law and all) Why is the only thing being done is fundraisers? Where does this money go?? It doesnt seem to me to be being used to find her. Hell I know for a fact 3 people who are willing to help them for free if they would just call.

I know you guys will hopefully set me straight on this one. And again I really dont want anyone to be mad for what I said, I just cant stop feeling this way.

I dont feel like Kara is a runaway. I think she skipped classes that afternoon and something went terrible wrong. At first I thought maybe she was angry with her parents about the restraining order they had gotten on her old boyfriend, because FKK posted she was still sneaking to see him sometimes, but too much time has passed for this to be Im angry at my parents so I am gonna make them worry about me type thing. I honestly feel if she had left on her own by now she would of come back home, called a parent, a friend, accessed her bank account. I don't have any idea what Kara's parents think about what has happened. Its been awhile since FKK posted and I know she forwarded a lot of phone numbers and information to them with regards to getting some things going, but I do not know if her parents have contacted people etc.

Busylady,
I sure hope & pray that your feeling better. Remember to take care of you.

Do you or Kara's family really feel she just ran away?
I can't imagine with her being just a runaway that she would not of just called her folks collect. Any girl 17 would know there folks were worried sick.

LE makes me mad just giving up until more leads come up.

I know her folks don't want to cause problems for LE but darn they serioulsy need to call Equi-Search. Especially with LE's attitude.

IMHO Kara did NOT runaway. Her best friend, FKK, doesnt believe so either.

Myself and Calidreamin searched and sent the parents 3 search teams who were willing to help, when the parents called them.

Busy, you are an angel!!! Hope you are feeling good.

Before I say what I am about to say I want FKK to know That I am sorry. I just love that girl and dont want her to be mad with what i am about to say. I have held this back as long as I can and as most of you know my level of frustration has grown quite a bit over these past couple of weeks. With that said...

Why are her parents not doing anything productive to find their daughter?? I know I and others here have spent many a nights searching for ways to help them along. I know FKK is passing this info onto them! Why no searches, why no news, why does everyone who does want to help get told it must come from the parents( i do know this one per law and all) Why is the only thing being done is fundraisers? Where does this money go?? It doesnt seem to me to be being used to find her. Hell I know for a fact 3 people who are willing to help them for free if they would just call.

I know you guys will hopefully set me straight on this one. And again I really dont want anyone to be mad for what I said, I just cant stop feeling this way.

I do not think you are out of line at all. Frustration is a legitamate emotion and we should be allowed to express it. I do not think you said anything that the others of us haven't been thinking as well.

I am equally frustrated and think that there has to be more to Kara's case than her parents or LE are telling us.

How can LE stop people from searching a park? That doesn't make much sense.

I hope someone can talk to her parents to see if they need help getting organized and if they are aware of the things that they can do themselves.

Bobbisangel - I agree 100% My understanding of parks is that they are open, public places, meant to be used by members of the public. I think the kids can just say "we aren't searching, we are walking and talking"

All I can think is that Park Management feels it is giving the park a bad name and having an impact on other members of the public, who may use the park, but change their minds when they see someone "searching."

Although, I wouldn't even think others would know that that is what the kids are doing unless they are asking and the kids are saying.

Busylady - your efforts and those of your crew are to be commended. I have no idea what to think about LE..... Do they think searching will destroy evidence? I would say, so will the weather and any other members of the public that enter the area unwittingly.

I would echo Bobbisangels question - is anyone talking to the parents?

Salem

I do not think you are out of line at all. Frustration is a legitamate emotion and we should be allowed to express it. I do not think you said anything that the others of us haven't been thinking as well.

I am equally frustrated and think that there has to be more to Kara's case than her parents or LE are telling us.
I totally agree, Indy and Anothersheart! Indy, it is questionable why the parents aren't doing more to find Kara. It looks like they would absolutely welcome free help and want to do everything possible to find their daughter.

I don't understand why they didn't request Tim Miller and EquuSearch STAY ON right after they found Kelsey to keep searching for Kara! It would simply be common sense to enlist their help WHILE THEY WERE ALREADY THERE!

I get why LE isn't doing anything...small town cop shop n all...but for the parents not to be out with groups searching every single day is beyond me. I would also be climbing all over LE to find my missing daughter! They would grow to expect my calls and my visits daily as I pushed them along.

I totally agree, Indy and Anothersheart! Indy, it is questionable why the parents aren't doing more to find Kara. It looks like they would absolutely welcome free help and want to do everything possible to find their daughter.

I don't understand why they didn't request Tim Miller and EquuSearch STAY ON right after they found Kelsey to keep searching for Kara! It would simply be common sense to enlist their help WHILE THEY WERE ALREADY THERE!

I get why LE isn't doing anything...small town cop shop n all...but for the parents not to be out with groups searching every single day is beyond me. I would also be climbing all over LE to find my missing daughter! They would grow to expect my calls and my visits daily as I pushed them along.
We did!! And that info was passed. Tim was WILLING to help as were 2 other search teams, One being VERY close to Karas home. All her parents had to do was make that call. FKK assured us she passed everything on, and I totally believe her. Bless her heart.

ETA IIRC we contacted them before and during the kelsey stuff

When Kara didn't come home on May 4, Rhonda and Thomas taped a note on the wall just inside her bedroom door.
I know how hard it has been for you. Mom and Thomas
Jim says this isn't exactly a "Leave It to Beaver" home. It sounds like an apology.
He met Rhonda at UPS, where they work. At the time, Rhonda was a divorced single mom raising Kara; they were just two girls living alone. When Kara was 9, Jim and Rhonda got married.
When Kara's dad, Mike, found out she was missing, he first thought Kara was out having fun on a prom weekend.
"I kinda thought, 'OK, she's out being a rebel, partying, playing,' " says Kopetsky, 38.
Friends described Kara as a "firecracker," but she hadn't always avoided the straight and narrow. She wasn't always the girl who cut classes, smoked cigarettes and frowned in photos.
Pinned to her cluttered bulletin board are ribbons she won for track back when she still liked school, back when she played the flute.
"By the time she got into ninth grade," Rhonda says, "she was done with band."
A family photo shows Kara and Thomas sitting on a tractor, both grinning like Cheshire cats. Kara smiled like that before she became self-conscious about her looks and her full, Angelina Jolie lips.
In adolescence, she became something of a boy magnet, and her parents warned her about the company she kept. In a house too small for secrets, Thomas heard the drama. In Kara's bedroom he picks up a trinket from her vanity table.
"She got that from her other boyfriend, remember?" he tells his mom. "The one that was good?"
Officially, Kara is a "missing person endangered."
"It means that there's some concern about her being missing, that we're concerned about her well-being," says Capt. Don Spears of the Belton Police Department. "Specifically, because we've not heard from her, nor have any of her friends or family heard from her."
The concern grew from what police saw in Kara's room, things a runaway might have taken with her. Makeup. Clothes. A carton of Marlboro Lights full except for one pack.
She left behind the iPod she got for Christmas and the hair straightener she used every morning.
She planned to interview at QuikTrip the day after she disappeared and had made plans with friends for the next two weekends. Money in her bank account is untouched. She left her debit card in her school locker.
But Kara's cell phone, a Motorola Razr she got for her birthday, is missing. It hasn't been used since the morning of May 4.
"With a kid that age," Spears said, "that's a concern that the phone's not been on."
Kara disappeared the same day a tornado destroyed the town of Greensburg, Kan. Family members said when they contacted local media they were told reporters were busy in Greensburg. Some media were reluctant to publicize a possible runaway.
But then, on June 2, Kelsey Smith was kidnapped in Overland Park, and Kara suddenly became the other teenage brunette missing in Kansas City.
Before law-enforcement officials determined the cases were unrelated, the national media came calling. Jim and Rhonda gave interviews to Geraldo Rivera, Nancy Grace and Greta Van Susteren. They keep their names and numbers in a little notebook in the kitchen.
People have reported seeing Kara from California to Florida. Someone thought they saw her on a plane. Someone else thought they saw her on a tram at Disney World. Another person thought they saw Kara with a young man at a gas station in Louisburg, Kan. Outside Chicago, the FBI searched a house and found nothing. A psychic envisioned Kara in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.
Leads like these come in daily. Her family doesn't know what to believe, afraid to ignore the one tip that might lead to Kara.
"The family has gotten to where we don't take a lot of hope," says Mike Kopetsky. "There in the beginning we'd get a lot of false hope, and it'd end up being heart-crushing when they were false leads."
One day before the end of the school year, a rumor swept through town that a body had been found under a bridge in Louisburg. Even the kids at Thomas' school heard it.
They found your sister's body, kids told Thomas. Your sister's dead.
Friends doubt that Kara ran away, but police have not ruled out the possibility. Spears says there are no suspects in Kara's disappearance; there's no evidence a crime has been committed.
Because she's 17, legal age in Missouri, the police couldn't make her come home even if they found her, Spears says.
If Kara wanted to vanish without a trace, he says, she could have found a Web site to tell her how. She could have bought a pay-as-you-go cell phone that can't be tracked. She could have left behind her clothes and that fresh carton of cigarettes on purpose.
"It complicates the matter and adds to the frustration," Spears says. "Hopefully we can keep her face out in front of the public."
And yet, her dad worries about the attention.
"You kind of go back and forth," Mike Kopetsky says. "If she is trying to come back home, are we putting so much attention on this that she's scared to?
"All these different possibilities go through your head, and you don't know the right answer. We're all just frustrated … that nobody has said anything yet. Somebody at some point has to say something.
"What could she be so angry about in her life to where she would have no contact with any family or friends?"
After touring Kara's bedroom, Thomas sits on the sofa in the living room and remembers his big sister.
When he would beat Kara at racing games on the Xbox. When she would make him do her chores. When she would walk him home from school and call him "butthead."
"I remember that time when she got a water bottle and just splashed it on my shirt. And then I put ice on her," Thomas says. "I don't have anyone to put water on."
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=194064105&blogID=290279467

posted today and more at link

I honestly don't understand the issues with "searching" the park either. I have ran through a million scenarios in my mind. Is the park concerned that because of what happened to Kelsey people will be leary to visit there and they dont want any extra attention? It seems to be a huge issue with law enforcement that the parents werent involved in what the kids were doing, all I can come up with is that there is something they know that they havent told the public, and they dont want the attention? Does law enforcement feel like they would like badily if something was found and they werent the ones to find it? Is there concern that if something was found it would possibly tie the case to ERH and law enforcement is concerned that it would cause a panic for the public to think there was a man out there that killed two young girls? I know im grasping at straws but I just don't get it.

The kids didnt challenge LE by saying this is a public park and you can't force us to leave, and I am glad they did not. The last thing I want to happen is kids that were trying to do a good thing to get in trouble in anyway, my concern was if they pushed the issue LE could arrest them and say they were causing a public nusiance or something. I don't know who called the police, if it was Longview Lake and the kids didnt leave when asked would they be considered treaspassing? Legally they may have been allowed to stay, but I just don't know all the lawas and such and after talking to a few other parents it was agreed that they would not return there.

I do believe FKK passed on all the information that other posters provided her to Kara's parents. Why they havent acted on that I don't know or understand either.

All I know is I am totally frustrated I just want to scream.

The biggest thing here is Kara's family.....they have to do somethings to keep attention on her. If making a few phone calls to keep searches going is to difficult It is a dirty shame.

We all gave FKK info to pass on. The family in return did nothing. I felt I was banging my head against a brick wall. I understand they are different then me. They owe it to KARA to have her found! KARA deserves that!

Busylady you have done so much don't get frustrated. Thats not good for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarlaK