Identified! MO - McDonald Co., 'Grace Doe' Fem Skeletal 784UFMO, 21-31, Dec'90 - Shawna Beth Garber

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
BTW, Jacie: Are you seeing somewhere that Grace had shovel-shaped incisors? My comment about her teeth lining up flat pertained to the alignment of her incisors, as opposed to the shape of the individual teeth. Her #7 tooth is almost at a right angle to her #6, but that has nothing to do with whether the teeth are shovel-shaped.

BTW, Jacie: Are you seeing somewhere that Grace had shovel-shaped incisors? My comment about her teeth lining up flat pertained to the alignment of her incisors, as opposed to the shape of the individual teeth. Her #7 tooth is almost at a right angle to her #6, but that has nothing to do with whether the teeth are shovel-shaped.

No I haven't; I was speaking to your post directly. Shovel shaped incisors can be indicative of American Indian ancestory, I have 'the shovel shaped' and so that's why I thought of it. I am wondering if that factor was ever noted in the records of her dentition?

There's no photo of Sharon Smith of Little Rock AR, but her height is within an inch, and she is at the upper end of the age range. Her hair is listed as "Red / Auburn" compared to Grace's "Brown" hair. She was last seen about three months before the approximate date that Grace was thought to have died, and was last seen at a Greyhound bus terminal.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/12830/18

Her NamUs casefile was just created a few days ago.

Another new no-photo NamUs MP who also fits the description is Linda Lee Moore of Seattle. She was last seen two days before the critical 31-Oct-1990 date. However, her hair is indicated as black.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/7288/3

I just called Det. Howard to suggest these two possibles. Apparently, someone from this forum had already called them in, and Tammy Wilkinson as well.

Det. Howard mentioned that she just received a tip regarding a woman by the name of Wendy Smith. But she didn't have any info regarding DOB, or even the state that she was from. She thinks that this is a very strong possible.

She asked me to check my MP list to see if I had anyone on the list by that name, and all I could find was a Wendy Rene Smith from York, Ontario (Canada), who was missing in 1995 (after Grace Doe was found).

She says that the tipster told her that around the time that Grace Doe was found, there was a woman named Wendy Smith who was from out of state and living at a local motel. She might have been of mixed ancestry (not sure which races), and she had expensive dental work (as did Grace Doe).

Unfortunately, she doesn't have anything more specific. Wendy Smith is a pretty generic name, so if she is not listed as a MP it would be a needle in a haystack trying to find her, especially when you don't have an age or even a home state.

I asked Det. Howard if it was OK to post this information on the board, and she said "please do'.

By the way, Det. Howard says that they are getting the nucDNA back and Grace Doe will soon be in CODIS. Until now, all they had was mtDNA for manual comparison.

I am wondering if the woman used an alias instead of her actual name. Like you mention, CarlK the name seems pretty generic and if she was missing from somewhere it is likely we may have run across another Wendy Smith missing from late 1980's - early 1990 (that is, of course if someone reported her missing).

I got to thinking about the manner in which Grace Doe was found and the thought "retaliation" came to mind. I wonder if the over-kill was a revenge of some sorts....

Did they determine if she was killed at the place she was found or somewhere else?I was reading this and thought of all the types of rope used and over kill.I was thinking of younger teenagers at a party or ritual type thing.All the ropes seemed child like to me like she was possibly stronger than her killer.Maybe they should check and talk to the 10 year old boy again.

A couple of observations/opinions: Who ever she was, she had had extensive dental/cavity work done on her teeth. There is a Dentist, Somewhere, who has this girls x-rays on file...or did at one time. I wonder how extensively the dentists in the are were checked in an attempt to identify her?

Also: Someone went to a lot of trouble to "Bind" her. Very very strange combination of bindings used. As well as the way that they tied her up.....very very strange way that they wove the bindings in and out of each other....seems to have a very sporatic and random pattern of binding. I wonder if the police ever tried to lift finger prints from the coax cable. Also, coax cable is a strange thing for someone to use to tie someone up....I wonder if the person that did this was in the "Cable or Satellite" business....ie, service technician? They travel all over the place working on satellite or cable systems, and they are frequently in the rural areas...back roads, back woods...etc.

Also: Her body was discovered beside an abandon house between Pineville and Lanagan. When I read that....I thought to myself, it had to be someone locally that did this. No one travels the roads between Pineville and Lanagan that isn't local.....for the most part.

Anita Gunn is older than the estimate but resembles the reconstruction and goes missing four months prior. There is very little to use if Anita is Jane Doe. Just thought I'd throw her out there.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2246dfva.html

Anita Marie Gunn
Missing since August 31, 1990 from Chesterfield County, Virginia
Classification: Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics
•Date Of Birth: July 1953
•Age at Time of Disappearance: 37 years old
•Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Dark hair.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
Anita Gunn has been missing since August 31, 1990. She last spoke to her sister by phone around 20.00 that day.
Gunn told her sister she had just finished having dinner with her estranged husband and they were going to his home to work out their marital problems

Original investigators did NOT get any personal information from the boy or his parents, who moved and cannot be located at this time, according to Detective Howard.

I hope the latest tip, which seems good, is the one needed to get Grace home!

k

I hope and pray they find out who she is too.

http://www.neoshodailynews.com/news/x449148178/Identity-may-soon-be-known

Identity may soon be known

By Wes Franklin
Neosho Daily News
Posted Jan 09, 2012 @ 11:57 PM

Pineville, Mo. —

More than 20 years after her bones were discovered down a lonely McDonald County Road, “Grace Doe,” may soon be identified.

Along with her suspected killer.

McDonald County sheriff's detective Lorie Howard says she may have a name for Grace, and is hoping that DNA evidence will soon confirm it. She may also know who could have killed Grace and why.

Meanwhile, Howard plans to search for clues in three unsolved murder cases originating from Benton County, Ark. to see if any of them link to the unidentified dead woman that she calls Grace.

Grace Doe's skeletal remains were found on Dec. 2, 1990, near an abandoned farmhouse on Oscar Talley Road, east of Lanagan, in McDonald County. She had apparently been hogtied with six different types of binding, including a military issue parachute cord. There were no bullet or knife wound marks or signs of blunt force trauma on the skull or other bones, which indicates she may have been strangled. She was never identified and there has never been a suspect in the case.

However, a confidential informant has now come forward with names of both victim and murderer, including a story about what happened to Grace, according to Howard.

I talked with Detective Howard today and she says she should have DNA to submit to different agencies in the next week or so.

We are getting close to finding out who Grace really is.....and holding those responsible for her murder accountable.

Tick Tock!

Iowa Cold Cases Website lists a possible match to Grace Doe. Barbara Lealyn Lenz disappeared in May 1989. The height and weight are different however, the photo is close.

I'm from Ontario and just read through this thread - it's amazing how similar it is to a case in Casselman, Ontario (east of Ottawa) from 1975.

http://www.missingadults.ca/viewUAcase.php?case=ON-UF-1975-05-00001

Case no. 20050011OPP on the OPP unidentified remains website.

http://www.missing-u.ca/UIs.aspx

This unidentified female was found 3 May 1975, hogtied with various restraints - including coaxial cable - had good dental work, dyed hair, painted nails and a body shirt that was fashionable at that time.

Her head was wrapped in 2 separate cloths and she had been strangled with the coaxial cable.

I hope Detective Howard reads this, if she hasn't already.

I see the case I mentioned above (Casselman, Ontario) has a thread.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41280&highlight=nation+river+lady

On the Casselman thread, page 1, post #2, there is mention of a similar case in East Haven, CT - unidentified female found 16 August 1975, wrapped with antenna cable around her neck, waist and knees and she had previous orthodontic care.

That's 3 unidentified women where antenna/coaxial cable was used and they all had good to very good previous dental care that cannot be traced.

There are 3 more cases in Ontario where good dental care from an unidentified murdered female cannot be traced.

http://www.missing-u.ca/UIs.aspx

From the above OPP website -

Case no. 20050023OPP - UF found Napanee, Ont 30 December 1984 - extensive dental care
Case no. 20050028OPP - UF found Cobourg, Ont 9 November 2002 - previous dental work
Case no. 20050002OPP - UF found Rockwood, Ont 28 August 2005 - partial plate

I beginning to wonder if there is a psycho dentist/dental surgeon out there. These women were around money at some point and were cared for - why has no one reported them missing and why can't the dental work be traced? Jmo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back