MO MO - Teresa Butler, 35, Risco, 25 Jan 2006 *GUILTY*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Bumping again for Teresa.

I read about her when she first went missing. I googled her name today, hoping I'd see there had been a resolution. I can't believe it's been 5 years now.

Those boys deserve to know what happened to their mother. I don't believe she left them of her own free will.

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/news/local/closing-the-books-on-a-25-year-old-cold-case-rpt-20111213

Updated: Tuesday, 13 Dec 2011, 5:58 PM CST
Published : Tuesday, 13 Dec 2011, 5:58 PM CST

Closing the Books on a 25-Year-Old Cold Case
Shelby County Sheriff's Deputies say serial killer, Steven Kasler, murdered Teresa Butler in 1986. The 26-year-old nurse disappeared after leaving her job at St. Francis hospital

Investigators say they'll never find the bodies, even though Kasler showed them where they were buried, in a once remote area of Southeast Knox County.

"Everything had been leveled and a new subdivision placed in that area."

Bless her family.

As for positives, all I see is that they are both the same race, gender, have brown hair, and Teresa's age is right at the upper limit of the Jane Doe's estimated age range.

However, IMO this doesn't appear to be Teresa. The Jane Doe is described as having "teeth in poor condition with severe caries, decay, and plaque". Teresa's teeth appear to be pretty well-kept.

Also:
* Teresa had fairly short hair when last seen. The Jane Doe is described as having "wavy" hair.

* The Jane Doe was estimated to be 4 inches shorter than Teresa's listed height.

I would not rule them out based on any of these discrepancies by themselves, but I don't see enough in the positives to outweigh the negatives.

Known facts don't add up...IMO points to husband

What we know (compiled from MSM articles only):

-Teresa's husband, Gary Dale Butler, arrived home (1469 New Madrid County Road 241, Risco, Mo.) at approx. 10 am, Jan 25 2006, after working the night shift. The doors are locked. Gary states he tried to call Teresa around 11 pm the previous night "over and over" but could not reach her. Prior to returning home that morning, he ran errands and had breakfast with his mother. (1) (4)

-It is initially reported that their youngest son is awake in his bed, while the older son was still asleep. It is later stated that the older son was huddled up under blankets on his parents' bed, and the younger son was awake, sucking on an empty bottle on the loveseat at the foot of said bed. Teresa is nowhere to be found. (1) (4)

-There are no signs of forced entry or struggle, and no blood present. (1) (4) (6)

-Missing are a Playstation and games, a Gamecube and games, a digital camera, a video camera, a large Mag-Lite flashlight, Teresa's purse and cell phone. Teresa's wedding rings, black leather jacket and the family Jeep are left behind. The stereo from the Jeep is also missing. (4)

-A tip of a key was broken off in a lock in the home. (4)

-The last person to see/speak with Teresa is her brother's wife, Sarah. Sarah visited Teresa on the evening of Jan 24th. Teresa wanted to borrow some skin gel from Sarah and told Sarah she would stop by and pick it up the next morning on her way to work. Sarah's husband, Donald, states Sarah was home by 9:05 pm. It was Sarah who notified the police that Teresa was missing the following day. (2) (4)

-Two calls were placed from Teresa's cell phone after she was last seen. The first was at 3:16 am to a number in Gideon. Owner of phone did not answer and does not know Teresa or her family. The other call was to Clarkton. Two elderly ladies own that phone, and answered to dead air. They, too, do not know Teresa or her family. (2)

-Sherriff states he is "positive" that foul play was involved. (3)

-A possible sighting of Sarah occurred on Feb 4th at Kennett Johnson's Conoco; a woman Teresa's size wearing a black coat, so disoriented she could not tell attendants her name. Surveillance footage was reviewed by investigators but "did not pan out". Sarah is 5'7" and approx 109 lbs. (1) (2)

-Teresa worked at the Photo Lab at Walmart in Dexter, Mo. She had told a coworker she was receiving upsetting calls from Gary's ex-wife (who worked at a different Walmart location). Teresa's father Dan states the phone calls involved threats and "harrassment". Gary was "quick to say" that the differences between Teresa and his ex were resolved. (2)

-Gary is not considered a suspect and has been cleared based on his alibi and polygraph test. Gary has also stated that rumors regarding him dating another woman after the disappearance are false, and that he had a couple of friends move in to help care for the children. (4) (7)

-DNA and fingerprints were obtained from the home. However, Teresa was "always cutting people's hair and that kind of thing," according to Gary. (2) (4)

-Gary states his mother received a "strange letter" regarding the disappearance, the contents of which he did not disclose. (4)

-Teresa was described by her friends as "poor". (5)

Sources:
1. http://www.dailystatesman.com/story/1137282.html
2. http://www.dddnews.com/story/1141230.html
3. http://www.kfvs12.com/Global/story.asp?S=4919248&nav=menu51_1
4. http://www.dddnews.com/story/1161390.html
5. http://www.kfvs12.com/global/story.asp?s=7770238
6. http://www.semissourian.com/story/1496724.html
7. http://www.dddnews.com/story/1604991.html

Some observations/questions based on my previous post...

1. The items taken from the house would all be easy to pawn.

2. Only small items were taken - the total contents could have fit into a backpack. The TV, for instance, was not taken. This makes me think that the person who took the items wasn't physically capable of moving larger items, or did not have the means to transport them.

3. Items of greater value such as Teresa's rings and the family Jeep are left behind. These items are more personal and IMO would be easier to track back to the family than the electronics would. They are also things that Teresa herself would have wanted to keep if she was intending to come back, IMO.

4. Who abducts someone and says, "Hey, don't forget to bring your purse?"

5. If I tried to call my husband "over and over" and couldn't reach him at a time I normally would be able to, I would not be stopping on the way home to run errands and have breakfast with my mom. And I'd probably be calling nearby family and asking them to pop in and check on my family. But maybe that's just me?

6. Based on Teresa's conversation with her sister-in-law, it seems she had every intention of having a normal day on the 25th.

7. I haven't seen it stated anywhere that they have ruled out the Conoco sighting as being Teresa. It sounds more inconclusive than anything. Teresa had a rather distinctive body type, tall and quite slender. It seems to me that in some of the older pics, she looked almost overweight, but recently had become very thin. So, between the disoriented behaviour, the missing small/pawnable items and the apparent significant weight loss, I can't help but question if there aren't drugs involved here.

8. Further to my pondering above. Teresa's friends have stated numerous times how "poor" she was. Now, where I come from, "poor" people don't have several vehicles including a Jeep, multiple pieces of camera equipment, multiple gaming systems, leather jackets, etc.

I think this is my theory. MY OPINION/SPECULATION ONLY. I believe they may have been drug dealers. Meth or maybe heroin. Customers would likely come to the house while Gary was at work. Teresa may have made friends with some of the customers and started partaking in the drugs herself. Maybe just a little at first. But worse as time went on, resulting in the weight loss. (Perhaps the ex-wife caught wind of this and this is what the threats were related to? And why Gary is so quick to dismiss the ex's involvement, to not bring any attention to the drug dealing?) Then one night it gets a little out of hand and the party goes all night. She realizes her mistake and that she has to replace the money for the drugs she's done. The customer she's been partying with says, let's pawn some stuff and get the money back. Teresa, not in her right mind, sees this as the only solution. Leaves her precious wedding rings behind. Takes her purse and small pawnable items and heads out with the customer. They pawn the items, but are coming down off the drugs and decide to go find more. What happens after that? We see Teresa just over a week later, unaware of her own name. And then...? To the streets. Meth is ugly and one of the few things I could see enticing a mother away from her children. Heroin is no better.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this. It certainly doesn't explain everything but I feel it covers quite a bit. I mean no disrespect to Teresa or her family in any way. Rather, I would hope that she's still out there and could maybe still be saved. For what it's worth, I had a completely different theory in mind before I went through all the facts. Now, nothing else really seems feasible to me.

Bumping for Teresa, gone too long.

They've found skelton remains in Ogden, AR but that 350 miles away. I don't think it's Teresa due to the distance and I can't find any connection between Teresa and Ogden, AR.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back