MS - Jessica Chambers, 19, found burned near her car, Panola County, 6 Dec 2014 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. I wonder how many cases are labeled suicide that aren't? Certainly easier to say suicide than investigate a homicide. And perhaps less "judgy" than saying rolling meth lab. Certainly seems like a tough way to kill yourself.

There was a case about a year (or two) here in CT where a guy was seriously burned in a car fire - as I recall, that did turn out to be someone cooking meth, and I think he survived.
I believe it is the reverse. It seems to be more difficult to prove death by fire as a suicide if there is no note or clear motive (depression etc) than a homicide, imo. However, if there is no note or anything to go on, it would make sense to approach it as a homicide and investigate to rule out any foul play. This case, in particular, with all of the elements would have to be investigated in such a way to cover every angle.

Now what if they are wrong about it being a homicide? Can they backpedal the decision to classify it as a homicide or do they just leave it open without any end? As we can see so far...they have nothing so they keep throwing money at it. It makes it appear they are doing something at least.

Of course. But just as, according to Scripture, faith without works is dead, so too hope without basis.

Pride as usual seems to have gone before a fall. The good people of Panola County deserve far better.

Respectfully, I have not read any reports of the good people of Panola County turning out in large numbers, showing support for Jessica or shouting for justice or change. Panola County did not get in the shape it seems to be in now overnight. We have seen one 5-minute video clip from M&M Quick Stop, and I dare say that most of us that saw the whole video believe we probably saw at least one drug deal go down. How many of the good people have been by that store, or another one like it, and seen a drug deal go down, and turned a blind eye to it, either out of fear, out of apathy, or out of resignation that nothing can or will be done about it? How many know, or have heard of illegal activities that go on, but say nothing because it is so-and so's son or daughter, or because they have family or gang connections, or yadda yadda? The sheriff and DA are both elected positions, as are county commissioners, or whatever Mississippi calls their elected county officials. If the good people of Panola County feel they deserve better, then they need to vote out the deadwood and get honest and capable people in those positions. The good people need to be involved fully in their communities, and they need to become activists for change. Ultimately, if all else fails, they may have to pull up roots and move. As Albert Einstein once said, The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." I think, more than anyone else, it is Jessica Chambers that deserved better. JMO

I have no basis other than, as I said, perhaps wishful thinking. We are still allowed to have that, even after 100 days.

The time it takes to solve a homicide case does not magically turn a murder case into suicide. If that were the case there would be an awful lot of "suicides" in Chicago in 2012 where about 75% of murderers were not caught."
More like the chasm. Only 132 of the 507 murder cases in the city last year were closed last year. That makes for a homicide clearance rate of 26 percent—the lowest in two decades, according to internal police records provided to Chicago. (The true picture is even worse; more on that later.) To put it another way: About three-quarters of the people who killed someone in Chicago in 2012 have gotten away with murder—so far, at least. “Those stats suggest a crisis,” says Arthur Lurigio, a criminologist at Loyola University Chicago.
http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/May-2013/Getting-Away-with-Murder/

I wonder what the clearance rate for murders is in Panola county, MS?
Jmo/

Now I have heard the latest drug deal rumor. And it is a rumor just to be clear. But I lend more credence to that theory in general (maybe not this specific rumor).

I think the RH drug deal gone bad is definitely plausible, but the motive wouldn't be for money imo-$400, $500 or $700 (depending on who's talking about it on SM), unless the individual(s) had/have a serious drug problem to the point they are functioning abnormally (ie crack/crystal meth). Or it may be some deep seated issue like past issues with one of JC's family members. I don't think motive is money angle, but it certainly fits...arson, previous fights, bad drug deal etc. Note this all happened by @808p at night, so whoever committed crime is a very brazen person(s) and likely has no fear. This guy seems to fit that bill, although it depends on who's providing the info too (ie other POIs). Jmo/

Respectfully, I have not read any reports of the good people of Panola County turning out in large numbers, showing support for Jessica or shouting for justice or change. Panola County did not get in the shape it seems to be in now overnight. We have seen one 5-minute video clip from M&M Quick Stop, and I dare say that most of us that saw the whole video believe we probably saw at least one drug deal go down. How many of the good people have been by that store, or another one like it, and seen a drug deal go down, and turned a blind eye to it, either out of fear, out of apathy, or out of resignation that nothing can or will be done about it? How many know, or have heard of illegal activities that go on, but say nothing because it is so-and so's son or daughter, or because they have family or gang connections, or yadda yadda? The sheriff and DA are both elected positions, as are county commissioners, or whatever Mississippi calls their elected county officials. If the good people of Panola County feel they deserve better, and I do, then they need to vote out the deadwood and get honest and capable people in those positions. The good people need to be involved fully in their communities, and they need to become activists for change. Ultimately, if all else fails, they may have to pull up roots and move. As Albert Einstein once said, The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." I think, more than anyone else, it is Jessica Chambers that deserved better, and unfortunately, none of the opportunities that exist for the good people of Panola County are available to her. JMO
Hm. Pretty rough I think -- the attitude, that is, against a people whose main fault seems to be living within the boundaries of a southern county in rural America. While I share a disregard for the elected officials (hi, sheriff!), I also must defend the people of the county -- from that same general area came one of my finest students in a quarter-century of teaching, for example.

The attitude that Panola is rife with evil, lorded over by a malicious thuggery whose grip tightens with each passing day?

Not buying.

Singling out Ms. Chambers as being one who deserved better is well and good; but they all do, if one accepts the premises of your argument above.

I think the RH drug deal gone bad is definitely plausible, but the motive wouldn't be for money imo-$400, $500 or $700 (depending on who's talking about it on SM), unless the individual(s) had/have a serious drug problem to the point they are functioning abnormally (ie crack/crystal meth). Or it may be some deep seated issue like past issues with one of JC's family members. I don't think motive is money angle, but it certainly fits...arson, previous fights, bad drug deal etc. Note this all happened by @808p at night, so whoever committed crime is a very brazen person(s) and likely has no fear. This guy seems to fit that bill, although it depends on who's providing the info too (ie other POIs). Jmo/
This type of scenario is what I have been thinking for awhile now. Someone very dangerous, who instills fear in every potential witness, was involved in this. I don't think it was female jealousy, although I obviously have no better idea than anyone else and anyone's favorite theory could prove correct.

IDK why but I never saw this as a homicide. I think all small towns have a story to tell as far as the residents that live there. As I am now a resident of a small town (-600 ppl) and having just been there 5 yrs I see lots of familiar looking situations in this town as in Jessica's small town, like most small towns. IDK Just seems that it was an accident of some sort. jmo

In reference to a drug deal angle, seems that the ppl doing the killing would want others to know what happened so others didn't try to pull the same. IDK I knew a boy from my old neighborhood that owed some ppl some money and family members decided it was best if he moved south to live with his sister. He did the same thing there (or so we were told) and he made some ppl mad and they killed him, but from what I was told he was killed to send a message. idk It was a sad story. Owing ppl money is not good. jmo

ETA Below describes what happened, the boy I knew is john harry. RIP johnny

http://www.tncourts.gov/sites/default/files/OPINIONS/tcca/PDF/984/tatrowjc.pdf

The sheriff and DA are both elected positions, as are county commissioners, or whatever Mississippi calls their elected county officials. If the good people of Panola County feel they deserve better, then they need to vote out the deadwood and get honest and capable people in those positions. JMO

I am in total agreement .... I believe that neither the DA nor the sheriff will be re-elected IF this heinous crime is not solved and the perp(s) get what they deserve (hopefully the death penalty). It's been said that drugs have been/are a major problem in Panola County in the past.

Flatfootjoe, many thanks for your very informative post. I researched a little bit about females in gangs, even if Jessica wasn't in a gang per se, she seems to have had some encounters/or/acquaintances who were. I found the following article which discusses the rather sobering and dehumanizing treatment of women, is this part of U.S. gang activity too? From the article (regarding gangs in London):

'Being raped by a gang is normal – it's about craving to be accepted'; Former gang member reveals how women suffer shocking sexual abuse in return for 'status'; Isha Nembhard used to belong to a gang in Peckham, south London.
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2012/feb/18/being-raped-by-gang-normal
Mark Townsend, home affairs editor
Saturday 18 February 2012 06.46 EST

Jmo, but: 1. I am appalled beyond belief that any human being could treat another in this manner, forcing females to do sexual acts is deplorable besides other exploitation that criminal enterprises partake in. As a matter of fact is there is anything that criminal enterprises do that isn't exploitative of humans or animals...drug trafficking, physical abuse, prostitution, human trafficking, fraud, rape, dog-fighting and so on?; and 2. JC's ex-bf stated she was gang-raped twice, witness said Jessica was with four men at hotel, Jessica allegedly says to mom that "b*****s think I'm snitching".

Did LE investigate alleged sexual assault stories or whether Jessica was forced to do any "initiation" to be acquaintance in the past? Do women in gangs who leave or cut ties with gangs completely have to do any "going away party/like de-initiation"...is it possible that gang members could have forced Jessica to provide sexual acts the night she died? Or if Jessica was previously gang-raped by gang members, would they treat her as property to use at their leisure? Trade sex for drugs? Just some more hypos because we do not have autopsy or toxicology results and I found linked article informative but disturbing...it's even more disturbing to think that Jessica potentially went through more besides being burned alive. Jmo/

Thank you for the link. A tragic combination of peer pressure that works because of a victim's self-worth not being fostered at home. It begins at home. Yes, I am laying blame there. Not all cases of excellent parenting produce non-victims. However, a crappy homelife and parents lacking skills and knowledge to raise their children to assume - to KNOW - that they're worth something, is more likely to produce children craving attention, love, acceptance and feel grateful that they get it any way they can and that makes me ill. And very angry. It's been said a million times, but you have to train, practice and get licensed to drive. I'll go to my extreme offer, go ahead and hate me, people ought to be neutered until they can prove they're responsible enough to take care of themselves and especially take care of, nurture and teach helpless, vulnerable living beings.

Thank you for the link. A tragic combination of peer pressure that works because of a victim's self-worth not being fostered at home. It begins at home. Yes, I am laying blame there. Not all cases of excellent parenting produce non-victims. However, a crappy homelife and parents lacking skills and knowledge to raise their children to assume - to KNOW - that they're worth something, is more likely to produce children craving attention, love, acceptance and feel grateful that they get it any way they can and that makes me ill. And very angry. It's been said a million times, but you have to train, practice and get licensed to drive. I'll go to my extreme offer, go ahead and hate me, people ought to be neutered until they can prove they're responsible enough to take care of themselves and especially take care of, nurture and teach helpless, vulnerable living beings.

As far as I know there's no step-by-step learning manual on raising children. People are different .... I've seen some of the best raised kids go bad and I've seen children that were raised in a not so good home turn out well in life. If it was a perfect world then your theory would hold water, but it's not a perfect world .... people are people and they differ from one another about how to raise a child.

On the other hand. the fact that her dad was manufacturing meth and selling it in the past has to have some bearing on her psyche.

Every day I pop on here with the hope of seeing *ARREST* in the title of this thread.

As far as I know there's no step-by-step learning manual on raising children. People are different .... I've seen some of the best raised kids go bad and I've seen children that were raised in a not so good home turn out well in life. If it was a perfect world then your theory would hold water, but it's not a perfect world .... people are people and they differ from one another about how to raise a child.

On the other hand. the fact that her dad was manufacturing meth and selling it in the past has to have some bearing on her psyche.

While I feel Samantha & Felicity make valid points, I would like to point out that regional economic opportunities plays an important role in the development of our children into productive adults. Resources and options offered in that County where JC lived seemed limited.
I would say that for every success story of those born into a poverty-stricken area where there's little value placed on striving to attend higher education (and there's little chance for upward mobitility within a corporation).....there's 100+ people who couldn't succeed under that blight.

I wish JC's environment was better in todo. I wished her future provided a brighter outlook. We all need hope.

RIP JC

While I feel Samantha & Felicity make valid points, I would like to point out that regional economic opportunities plays an important role in the development of our children into productive adults. Resources and options offered in that County where JC lived seemed limited.
I would say that for every success story of those born into a poverty-stricken area where there's little value placed on striving to attend higher education (and there's little chance for upward mobitility within a corporation).....there's 100+ people who couldn't succeed under that blight.

I wish JC's environment was better in todo. I wished her future provided a brighter outlook. We all need hope.

RIP JC

My husband was raised in Panola County MS. In my opinion Panola county is not poverty stricken .... like in many counties around America you have those that strive for better and you have those that don't care and merely rely on the system. There's a high school there, community college up the interstate in Senatobia MS, Ole Miss is in close proximity in Oxford MS and metro Memphis TN is a mere 50 miles north of Panola County (lots of corporations and job opportunities). Panola County is not out in the middle of no where with no resources to better one self .... that's up to the individual to do.

I have a relative who had four kids. Three grew up to be successful upper middle class. Spouses with long marriages, educated, good jobs, involved in the community and their churches; their children are the same. The fourth child got into the sex-drugs-and rock and roll scene in high school, heavily. He has served time in jail, was addicted for years ( not anymore after having a pace maker put in) Just struck out once and disappeared for 3 years. Didn't say bye, never bothered to let anyone know he was safe. We later found out he was in LA, when he wanted to come back home. I guess he fancied himself as a rebel. He got up to all sorts of embarrassing and hurtful antics. If there was a family event you never knew what state he would be in, sober and decent or would he show up high and making a scene. His mother suffered and worried all the time about him.

He has since turned his life around and has been living a much saner, safer lifestyle for quite a run. He is helpful and nurturing to his elderly widowed mom, even moreso than her other children. So I guess what you are taught as child doesn't really leave you.

But still, It always amazed me that the same methods didn't have the same results across the board in the same house. Same finances. Same location. Same parents. Same schools. Same opportunities.

Different people, different outcomes.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk 2

My husband was raised in Panola County MS. In my opinion Panola county is not poverty stricken .... like in many counties around America you have those that strive for better and you have those that don't care and merely rely on the system. There's a high school there, community college up the interstate in Senatobia MS, Ole Miss is in close proximity in Oxford MS and metro Memphis TN is a mere 50 miles north of Panola County (lots of corporations and job opportunities). Panola County is not out in the middle of no where with no resources to better one self .... that's up to the individual to do.

Yes, it is ultimately up to individual to make the right choices but poverty does not help communities and MS statewide has the highest rate of public assistance in the country. The economic downturn may be hurting communities a bit. From what I have read Panola county has gang problems and drug problems. I don't think anyone, even if they are poor should justify gang life because the way I see it, is these teenagers that get involved in gangs want easy money and don't care if they are partially responsible for the corrosion of their neighborhood, communities and/or the individual lives destroyed by their drug dealing, illegal gun smuggling, and prostituting females out etc (ie Mexican drug smuggling and the effects on innocent lives ie mass killings and communities in constant fear).

There are probably parents that don't care if their child is in a gang or dealing, there are parents that probably benefit financially if their children are in it, there are parents that are naive about how dangerous gang activity is, and there are parents that would never allow their child around it or don't know about child's activity. I don't judge JC's parents because people have to do the best they can given their circumstances and you ultimately can't control an individual. However, I have little to no sympathy for gang activity because it is destructive and serves no purpose except to exploit people for money and destroys lives. I don't know the answer, but for a start, Panola county needs to address the criminal enterprises and dismantle them. It's one of those problems that we as a country can't keep looking the other way because it's dangerous and destructive illegal activity. Girls/Women have a difficult/insecure time and dangerous encounters as it is growing up regardless of class, but Jessica had the added potential danger of gang associations/or/drug dealing. Jmo and sorry if I sound like a PSA/

IDK why but I never saw this as a homicide. I think all small towns have a story to tell as far as the residents that live there. As I am now a resident of a small town (-600 ppl) and having just been there 5 yrs I see lots of familiar looking situations in this town as in Jessica's small town, like most small towns. IDK Just seems that it was an accident of some sort. jmo

IMO, if Jessica's death was an accident, LE would be more than happy to make the announcement. I don't think that her death was an accident.

I get why some feel this was accident or suicide. I see it so differently. From the very beginning I saw this as a crime. Someone either trying to disguise evidence or a very rage fueled purposeful act against this specific girl.

I have a relative who had four kids. Three grew up to be successful upper middle class. Spouses with long marriages, educated, good jobs, involved in the community and their churches; their children are the same. The fourth child got into the sex-drugs-and rock and roll scene in high school, heavily. He has served time in jail, was addicted for years ( not anymore after having a pace maker put in) Just struck out once and disappeared for 3 years. Didn't say bye, never bothered to let anyone know he was safe. We later found out he was in LA, when he wanted to come back home. I guess he fancied himself as a rebel. He got up to all sorts of embarrassing and hurtful antics. If there was a family event you never knew what state he would be in, sober and decent or would he show up high and making a scene. His mother suffered and worried all the time about him.

He has since turned his life around and has been living a much saner, safer lifestyle for quite a run. He is helpful and nurturing to his elderly widowed mom, even moreso than her other children. So I guess what you are taught as child doesn't really leave you.

But still, It always amazed me that the same methods didn't have the same results across the board in the same house. Same finances. Same location. Same parents. Same schools. Same opportunities.

Different people, different outcomes.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk 2

I had a high school friend that was very intelligent and went on to college ... even though he had imbibed in alcohol somewhat when he was in high school after he went to college was when he became a full blown alcoholic. He went on to get a teaching degree and taught for a few years when his drinking started to interfere with his teaching and he was let go. He bummed around for the next few years doing odd jobs and traveling with a buddy .... long story short he was 1 of 4 children .... the others turned out successful. Needless to say he died at a relatively young age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
somnus