MS - Jessica Chambers, 19, found burned near her car, Panola County, 6 Dec 2014 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for saying this. I didn't want to get too graphic. When I think back to the term used to refer to these poor souls by medical personnel, which I am sure you are aware of, I am ashamed of the insensitivity of the coping mechanisms used with such tragic and horrible outcomes...IMO.

I completely understand, Zuri. These coping mechanisms and the ability to compartmentalize while relying on the specialized training is necessary to function in tragic emergency incidents. It is the aftermath that is the most difficult; hence ptsd..
Thanx for your service, Zuri..

Reward raised in Jessica Chambers investigation

<snip> Originally, a $1,000 reward was offered then $10,000 was added by the U.S. Marshals Office and now an additional $10,000 has been added.

http://wreg.com/2014/12/16/reward-raised-in-jessica-chambers-investigation/

Tish Clark @local24tish · 3m 3 minutes ago
DA in Panola Co. Getting briefed inside before talking to reporters. @LocalMemphis @16WAPTNews

Tish Clark &#8207;@local24tish 16m16 minutes ago
Reward in Jessica Chambers case now at $21K & could go up again before end of day.

Tish Clark @local24tish · 2h 2 hours ago
DA set to roll in to Panola Co by 2pm & give us an update

https://twitter.com/local24tish

I completely understand, Zuri. These coping mechanisms and the ability to compartmentalize while relying on the specialized training is necessary to function in tragic emergency incidents. It is the aftermath that is the most difficult; hence ptsd..

And I am so thankful for all you do and I understand the toll it must take..

Actually, you are the hero in my book. Many times over. You went in where we run out...

Thanks to both of you for your service and dedication to keeping us all safe.

I may have missed it Foxfire but based on what you just mentioned about a victim being unrecognizeable what is your take on what Chief Haley may have seen? Also is it very common for someone so young to be in a position of Fire Chief albeit for a small volunteer department. I imagine his fellow firefighters would be much older and more experienced than him?

I

Hit the nail on the head! There isn't much info. Not since the very beginning when some of the more gruesome details were given...lighter fluid squirted, last words, walking on fire...I think some of these bits of info were really given to the family because of their close ties to local LE. What I think happened from there was that the info then got to the media and then the clamp was put down to where even the family is getting no more info than the general public.

And now, we have speculation and people digging into the gas station, making threats and all. Do I think there is a gang presence in this community? Most definitely. LE admits as much, I will find the link, but MSM has an article from 2012 and another more recent one quoting LE as saying gangs have taken root there. Was this a gang-related killing? I'm inclined to believe so. We have a 19 year old girl that felt she had experienced enough at her young age to write a book. That tells me she had been through a great deal. I'm from an area that has quite a bit of gang activity. Lost a cop several years back to an ambush. Our sheriff has had tons of charges against him, including terroristic threats, out local PD just fired 3 officers(long-standing) with no explanation. Staties investigating several of our local precincts. There is so much racism here it makes me sick. And I live in Pennsylvania. Not much surprises or shocks me anymore when I cannot even go to work without watching drug deals and prostitutes on every corner. But this JC case SHOCKED me. I was literally ill. I could not sleep for two days after hearing about this case.

Gangs and drugs are destroying MY hometown. And the silence is deadly. People are afraid to speak because drugs are a huge business. So, yeah. I can lean towards gangs and drugs. My once beautiful, thriving town built off of the backs of steelworkers has turned to crap. And it is spreading to the point where most of my county is under siege.

I hate drugs and resent these gangs. I've lost too many friends and even family members to drugs in one way or another. And I will never understand why this lifestyle seems so appealing. Money isn't everything. Not when you bury too many of your own to get it.

I moved my family to a very small town, after a daylight break-in of my home, in a not much bigger town. Drugs, and the people who use and sell them were getting out of hand there. Much of what was going on was invisible to adults in the community, but the stories my kids were telling me were so sensational, sadistic and violent, I doubted their validity.

Within two years of moving to a sleepy little rural town, I knew everything illicit going on here. Again, my kids were my eyes and ears. The drug/gang problem is everywhere, even in sleepy little towns.

I spoke with a friend, a LEO from the area where I worked. He started telling me a story about gangs in the area, when he told me "The Bloods" have a pretty thick presence here, at first I laughed. I'm on the East coast and that's a metropolitan California gang. He said don't laugh Flatfoot, I'm being serious. I truly thought he was joking, he wasn't. He explained these big gangs come in, set up shop and go to work. They take over these little rural areas, set up unopposed by other gangs, with LE who aren't equipped tactically, or procedurally to deal with them.

For some kids, it's just a place to belong, for others financial opportunity. To me I've seen a paradigm shift in young people, children become adults way too soon now, sexually, behaviorally, violently. You can't dismiss young people as a threat when you're assessing a situation now, some are as hardened and sociopathic as any adult criminal.

The people in these gangs usually don't have any respect for human life, unless they're connected, family, comrades, or love interests. Death is just one of the every day possibilities for them.

This whole case bothered me right off the bat. Certain types of people use fire as an execution method, organized crime, gangs, and finally spurned lovers. That isn't to say there aren't random deaths that don't fit that typical mode, it's just the norm for those types of execution.

How could the perp or perps have been sure a car wouldn't come along and notice their activity/their cars blocking the road?

A very good question, darkstar105. Was the perp/s on foot, hiding in the nearby woods, watching the fire and observing the fire department extinguishing the flames?

Ok, how about this. She pulls up that embankment of her own volition for whatever reason. In the process she ruptures her gas tank. After sitting for a bit she smells gas. She is in her pajama bottoms, possibly sitting on cloth seat upholstery. She decides to get out and double check her gas cap. Her phone is in her hand. She notices the gas cap flap door is left open and she reaches to close it. A static electricity spark ignites the wet fuel still laying around the cap filler pocket. She is startled and her phone goes flying. The flame follows the spilled fuel down to the now soaked ground under the car from the leak in the tank. And the rest is history.

Sounds plausible to me, more so than many of the other theories I've read online. If I had to guess based on the limited amount of info we have right now, I would say she lost control of the car and then all or most of that is what happened.

JMO

I am completely new to this thread, but I have been following this horrific crime since it was first reported. I have been completely enthralled with this. It is so horrific...but the more I read...the more enthralled. I don't know why I didn't come here first to join in the discussion. I've been reading the news and the various blogs and all the speculation surrounding the death of Jessica as much as can between everything else I have going on in my life. Oh my goodness - I don't believe all of the speculation, but some of the things being said seem quite obviously true to me. I can't help but to think that the murder of Jessica is just a small tip of the iceberg of what's really going on in that small town....and increasingly across America. Quite honestly it scares the heck outta me. I also don't doubt for a minute that we will ever truly know the breath of what is really going on here. I think it spreads far and wide. This is just my personal opinion. God Bless Jessica's family and everyone who loved her. May she rest in peace.

How could the perp or perps have been sure a car wouldn't come along and notice their activity/their cars blocking the road?

They couldn't. However, it looks like a remote rural road, not frequently utilized. Assuming the roadblock vehicle was waiting on the dirt path, a simple text message, like "almost there" would give more than adequate time to set up.

The fire was called in god knows how long after the fire started, and IIRC the response time was listed in MSM as 6 minutes. Judging by the condition of the vehicle, I'd speculate it burned between 15-20 minutes before the report was made.

I live in a similar area, we have rural roads where you could go an hour or more before you saw another car.

The reason those gates are there are to prevent people from doing shenanigans on those private properties, because they're remote, and not monitored frequently or easily.

Thank you for asking.

Authorities: Mystery person on Jessica Chambers surveillance video cleared
Therese Apel, The Clarion-Ledger 1:31 p.m. CST December 16, 2014
Authorities in the Jessica Chambers case said the person she speaks to off-camera in a surveillance tape has been cleared in the investigation. [snipped]
Champion said that is becoming a hindrance to investigations.
"With the advent of social media it makes it very difficult for us to do our job. We can't get people to talk sometimes because of it," he said.

Reward Raised to $21K in Jessica Chambers Investigation
Updated: Dec 16, 2014 2:35 PM EST
"Originally, a $1,000 reward was offered then $10,000 was added by the U.S. Marshals Office and now an additional $10,000 has been added."

I have followed many cases over the years.
It's not often that LE comes out and says they are investigating an arson or other crime without something to back that up
Its easier to go from possibly accidental to murder than to back down.. murder to accidental JMO
At this time, I feel strongly that LE has enough evidence to know they are investigating a murder.

I am so ready to be proven wrong.
Jessica is gone , but the thought of a human being ,being cold enough to do this to her is almost more than I can handle. An accident would be easier to understand

Thanks to both of you for your service and dedication to keeping us all safe.

I may have missed it Foxfire but based on what you just mentioned about a victim being unrecognizeable what is your take on what Chief Haley may have seen? Also is it very common for someone so young to be in a position of Fire Chief albeit for a small volunteer department. I imagine his fellow firefighters would be much older and more experienced than him?

TY GinaSeikwa. It would be too graphic to describe what Courtland VFD Chief Haley saw.. If you can visualize the results of a wax mannequin melting. This would be synonymous..
GinaSeikwa, I wouldn't judge Chief Haley, to harshly. He may have been very young when he began volunteering and may have military or other training; Fire Science degree, etc. Most volunteers take their professions very seriously since their pay is usually minimal and they live in the community where they protect..

(modsnip)

On another point: If someone "ran out of gas" they may have parked their vehicle on the flat area where Jessica's car was found. Maybe they saw her at the party, or called her to give them a lift to the empty car. She drove them there with their container of gas, pulled up onto the steep area to get out of the roadway, pulled up her brake and got out. A large guy riding in her small car would likely push the seat way back and recline it for more room. If it was 2 big guys, maybe Jessica rode in the back since she was so tiny. That would account for the seat positions. Either this was a pre-planned ploy to get her alone with a container of gas, or something went very wrong. Maybe they wanted some action and she didn't. Put a little gas in the car, if it was even empty, do what they want to Jessica, then torch her and the car. I hope LE is going through the records/tape to see who else bought gas that night, especially any who put it in a container. Of course in rural areas, people often have full fuel containers to use in farm equipment, etc. People often keep kerosene on hand as well, to be used for heat. But you wouldn't put that in your vehicle, so kerosene would imply planning. Wonder if the gas station sells kerosene?

My last point (for now): As I said earlier, I use to be a burn nurse. I have no doubt that Jessica was able to speak to the first responders. I have seen it too often. We would meet the patient in the ER to initiate burn care which is very different from most any other kind of trauma. I would frequently talk to the victim, telling them we would be putting in a breathing tube and sedating them shortly. This was the time to find out next of kin, medical history and allergies. The human body is amazing and our instincts (and stress response) make us fight to stay alert. Some of the ones who talked had very little chance of survival due to the extent of their burns. People with severe smoke inhalation would often be unconscious. That is why smoke detectors are so important. If you lose consciousness breathing in smoke, you'll likely die because you can't get out of the fire, if not from the smoke alone. So check your batteries!

Absolutely agree!

That whole area should have been cordoned off and no one should have been allowed to enter to contaminate the ground and other possible evidence.

It should have been considered a crime scene immediately; searched thoroughly, evidence collected, and photographed completely.

Judging by the photos I am seeing after the fact, I am pretty certain that LE botched the initial investigation of the crime scene. Bottles and cigarette butts, footprints, windshield wiper on the ground, tracks in the dirt (before tow truck destroyed them!), etc.. :doh:

This very thing has been bothering me since day one. The crime scene was contaminated right from the beginning. Why on earth was the car towed immediately after she was discovered? Surely valuable clues and evidence has been destroyed or ignored by these Keystone cops. I can fully understand why the FBI and MSI are investigating this case; maybe they will investigate a possible attempted cover-up as well. JMO

Authorities: Mystery person on Jessica Chambers surveillance video cleared
Therese Apel, The Clarion-Ledger 1:31 p.m. CST December 16, 2014
Authorities in the Jessica Chambers case said the person she speaks to off-camera in a surveillance tape has been cleared in the investigation. [snipped]
Champion said that is becoming a hindrance to investigations.
"With the advent of social media it makes it very difficult for us to do our job. We can't get people to talk sometimes because of it," he said.

Reward Raised to $21K in Jessica Chambers Investigation
Updated: Dec 16, 2014 2:35 PM EST
"Originally, a $1,000 reward was offered then $10,000 was added by the U.S. Marshals Office and now an additional $10,000 has been added."

From the Clarion-Ledger story -
"We know who that was, and we have ruled out that individual," said Sheriff Dennis Darby. "That was a local hangout for her, she went there many times a day, she knew all those people."

So is he implying by this that a stranger did whatever happened to Jessica?

I give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member