GUILTY MT - Beverly, 79, Gregory Giannonatti, 57, murdered, Deer Lodge, 24 Oct 2015

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It's still a very small town and the phone ping was at 11:30 pm. There probably wasn't many people around. Plus, just because the phone pinged at towers in Anaconda, doesn't mean they were in town at all. If they traveled down Rt 90, they would not have even passed through town. https://www.google.com/maps/place/A...8!3m1!1s0x535b90ccfb3e84ed:0x5b9d0b5bcf82d85b

I believe cell towers have a range of at least 20 miles and up to 40 or so depending on the equipment/service. That's a big area in the vast wilderness of Montana. Unfortunately, there are not many cameras around in those parts. But if there are, I sure hope LE have checked them out.

I thought about that as I recalled our trip out west this past summer. We actually went right down that highway, right past Anaconda and Deer Lodge (stayed in Missoula). I know our phones picked up all sorts of interesting data trails to places we'd never actually stopped at, but pulled in a signal from (like commercial busses WIFI signal as they pass on the freeway - it's kind of a joke for the kids to see who can actually connect to a mobile wifi signal). If Beverly and Gregory (or at least their phones and their phones were on) were heading south on I-90 they'd never have to actually go TO Anaconda for their phones to ping a cell tower there. But at the same time, if they were still in town, their phones would be pinging off the Deer Lodge towers, not the Anaconda ones.

Are we sure this is the home Greg lived in ?? The address shows that beat up old trailer house. It looks like more of a rental rather than where I envisioned he would live. Could he have lived in the house to the left, which would be 1201 Washington ?

Looks like Google Maps is off in their numbering. It is the house on the left according to the GIS system. It is a log/frame house built in 1931 with a large detached garage. Is that a white Toyota in the driveway?

GRegs house.jpg

View attachment 84212

Same house, different view. Corner of Conley and Washington.

Yes, my little google street view man and I spent a great deal of time yesterday around 1203 Washington. From what I could tell, there is no AC in any window, but that image is from May 2012, so it's not current at all. I was surprised to see his car in the drive, however. There's really only 1 neighbor directly next to him since it's a corner property and there's an alley directly behind his garage. The garage itself also struck me as curious as there are at least 4 entrances/exits. A single door facing the house, two auto doors exiting onto Conley and another auto door exiting into the alley. It reminds me of a mechanic's garage. Likely not important at all. However, there is a relatively newer (in 2012 anyway) 6 foot high wooden fence between his property and the blue/silver single wide mobile home next door that runs the entire length from the house to the alley. So, plenty of privacy there.

GGwashfence.jpg

I thought about that as I recalled our trip out west this past summer. We actually went right down that highway, right past Anaconda and Deer Lodge (stayed in Missoula). I know our phones picked up all sorts of interesting data trails to places we'd never actually stopped at, but pulled in a signal from (like commercial busses WIFI signal as they pass on the freeway - it's kind of a joke for the kids to see who can actually connect to a mobile wifi signal). If Beverly and Gregory (or at least their phones and their phones were on) were heading south on I-90 they'd never have to actually go TO Anaconda for their phones to ping a cell tower there. But at the same time, if they were still in town, their phones would be pinging off the Deer Lodge towers, not the Anaconda ones.

Exactly, they probably were never in the actual town of Anaconda. The location of the pings indicate that they were someplace south/southwest of Deer Lodge. If they were southeast of Deer Lodge, the phones would most likely have pinged off of towers in Butte. Interesting to note that Greg's car was found North of Deer Lodge. I think the proximity of I-90 is probably key.

I think they're both still in Deer Lodge, it's their phones doing the traveling. I don't think LE searches of the property has been quite thorough enough just yet. We all know how that goes............

Yes, my little google street view man and I spent a great deal of time yesterday around 1203 Washington. From what I could tell, there is no AC in any window, but that image is from May 2012, so it's not current at all. I was surprised to see his car in the drive, however. There's really only 1 neighbor directly next to him since it's a corner property and there's an alley directly behind his garage. The garage itself also struck me as curious as there are at least 4 entrances/exits. A single door facing the house, two auto doors exiting onto Conley and another auto door exiting into the alley. It reminds me of a mechanic's garage. Likely not important at all. However, there is a relatively newer (in 2012 anyway) 6 foot high wooden fence between his property and the blue/silver single wide mobile home next door that runs the entire length from the house to the alley. So, plenty of privacy there.

Since air conditioners are only needed for a few months in the summer and it looks like that house doesn't have many windows, they probably remove the air conditioner from the window during the cooler months. It is actually kind of surprising that there was still an air conditioner in the window at the end of October.

As for the large garage and all the outbuildings on the Larkspur property, I wonder if they are car collectors. LE have stated that all of their cars are accounted for.

Regarding the break-in. The side of the house behind the fence is the most likely point of entry. Though, didn't some articles mention that the door to the house was unlocked? Since that is probably the living room in the front of the house, the air conditioner was most likely in that window behind the fence.

From the various articles, I got the impression that somebody did call the police while the break-in was occurring. The police discovered the break-in late in the night of Nov 1/early morning of Nov 2. When I get a chance, I'll go back through the articles and see if I can verify that.

There appears to be two slightly different versions of the break-in story. I went through several articles and here is what I found:

Chief Johnson said he returned to Gregory’s home on Monday morning, Nov. 2, and found it had been broken into. He said the front door was open but that someone had taken the air conditioner from the window to make entry. A big screen TV was found outside the back door, clothing, new towels, and pillows were in plastic bags, but something or someone interrupted the activity. Johnson said the television was recovered and the home secured with evidence tape.
http://mtstandard.com/news/local/fo...cle_6ce64fc5-bcbb-5444-bbc0-51e99524386e.html

In another odd twist to the situation, Sheriff Howard said that late in the evening on Nov. 1 a burglary was reported at the home of Gregory Giannonatti, where the police had been earlier that day. When authorities arrived they discovered the flat screen TV in the yard, clothing in bags and a cell phone that had been at the residence earlier was now gone.
The Sheriff also noted two weapons may also have been taken from the residence.
https://www.facebook.com/BevandGregGianonatti/posts/1057146771011492 from an article written by Michael Stafford in the Silver State Post, on November 4, 2015. http://www.sspmt.com/

So which one do we believe?

I apologize for not keeping up. I am traveling on the road with a group and we are taking in the sights and shows of the Great Smokies, TN, this week.

I really am trying to keep up. I have missed a good bit and have tried to go back and read. Claire asked me in one of these postings (and I can't find it right now in this short window I have), where I read about the friend that had seen Beverly at McDonalds. I tried to go back and look at the article where, in the comments, the friend had mentioned she had seen Beverly at McDonald's...and I did find that statement. But further down, I had seen someone say, "Another friend had seen her at McDonald's on the evening of October 31st...and she was with this man that no one knew." I tried to go back and find that statement but I can't seem to find it now. I will definitely keep looking because I know I double-checked it at the time thinking it was strange.

I go back to my original statement....Just looking at Greg's home, you would never know his father had gold bars lying around or that he and his mother own so much property. I find that strange. Did they have money but didn't want anyone to know it? Were they "property poor?" Did the father have money and kept it hidden from the family? Was the father involved in something nefarious that came to light after he died in August? After all, he and Beverly divorced in 1999 so he could have had things going on that his ex-wife and son knew nothing about.
Greg only had one brother and he is deceased. So its apparently just Greg and Beverly now...and they are missing.

There appears to be two slightly different versions of the break-in story. I went through several articles and here is what I found:

http://mtstandard.com/news/local/fo...cle_6ce64fc5-bcbb-5444-bbc0-51e99524386e.html

https://www.facebook.com/BevandGregGianonatti/posts/1057146771011492 from an article written by Michael Stafford in the Silver State Post, on November 4, 2015. http://www.sspmt.com/

So which one do we believe?

Could it be that the burglary was reported very late on Nov 1, just before midnight, and a patrol car responded, then realized it was the house of the missing persons and called Chief Johnson out of bed who then arrived early morning on Nov 2?

Could it be that the burglary was reported very late on Nov 1, just before midnight, and a patrol car responded, then realized it was the house of the missing persons and called Chief Johnson out of bed who then arrived early morning on Nov 2?

That could be it. Makes perfect sense. You are really great at putting things into perspective!

As far as the A/C still being in the window....I have a few thoughts....How do they know they took it out to gain access, could this have not been also being stolen? I mean if they will take towels, they certainly might take an Air conditioner. Also looking at the front windows of his home, I see none that would be fit for an air conditioner to fit in the window, that happens lots with older homes. But the back of house has two windows which would fit one. I am betting one of those is to his bedroom, also a prime locations for an A/C. This year has been very odd, very warm late into the year. In fact mine are usually out and stored or covered by early Oct. but this year we just did it two days ago, as we were expecting a sudden blizzard...so had to do it....but now have window fans in and windows open as its awful warm in here again. Lastly....Greg's dad just passed in Aug. Usually putting in a window A/C is a two man job, they are lots easier to take out then to put in. Could it be that his Dad normally assisted him with this, and this year he procrastinated due to the lingering warm weather as well as having to do it alone...Just a thought. IMHO

I know I read somewhere that Beverly appeared to leave her home (controlled) voluntarily somewhere. They said her dogs were separated as I guess she does normally, just assuming here. However its rumored she left without her shoes....that does not sound voluntary to me. I really wonder if she was not taken right from her own home.

Also those speculating on Greg's home...I think it all depends on how material a person is, and what they prefer. I lost my home in the flood of 2013, in searching for a new home, there were many newer more updated/modern homes out there. However, I found a hundred year old house, might not be as shiny new looking, but I love it. I am just saying, he may be very comfortable living average. I could hit lotto and would still remain in my old house... I don't find it odd at all, that garage of his is fabulous and huge...I mean I live in farm country and most the men folk here want a big garage and will settle for a bungalow to their wives chagrin to have that large garage. Just a different perspective...IMHO

I know I read somewhere that Beverly appeared to leave her home (controlled) voluntarily somewhere. They said her dogs were separated as I guess she does normally, just assuming here. However its rumored she left without her shoes....that does not sound voluntary to me. I really wonder if she was not taken right from her own home.

Also those speculating on Greg's home...I think it all depends on how material a person is, and what they prefer. I lost my home in the flood of 2013, in searching for a new home, there were many newer more updated/modern homes out there. However, I found a hundred year old house, might not be as shiny new looking, but I love it. I am just saying, he may be very comfortable living average. I could hit lotto and would still remain in my old house... I don't find it odd at all, that garage of his is fabulous and huge...I mean I live in farm country and most the men folk here want a big garage and will settle for a bungalow to their wives chagrin to have that large garage. Just a different perspective...IMHO

My take on the rumor about her leaving without her shoes, is that she probably had on other shoes. How would anybody know if all of her shoes were accounted for? I think it was an initial reaction from the person who made that post - like Bev's favorite, everyday shoes were left sitting by the door. Since the dogs were separated and it looked like it was a planned leaving from the house, she might have been dressed up to go meet somebody. IMO

Wow, so sorry to hear about you loosing your home in the flood. That must have been horrible. I agree with you about some people preferring to have a house with character rather than something new and updated. I'm about the same age as Greg. A few years ago we sold the "big house" up north and moved to a manufactured home in the woods in North Carolina. The house is the perfect size for two of us. Our horses, goats and donkeys have more square feet of living space than we do. All the materialistic years when the kids were growing up, I never dreamed that I'd be living in a "double wide". Now I wouldn't give it up for anything. (We have over 120 acres here, so we have plenty of room to build a bigger house.)

We live in a home built in the 60's. But there are things I see about the homes in question that speaks to me about money. Even a small, older home has a "look" that conveys a person's idea about such things.
I do not "see" money when I see these homes. Yet Beverly and Greg own lots of properties. Something isn't clicking for me. I can't put my finger on it.

Here in the south, many people leave their AC units in the windows year round and they simply cover them over with a good insulation during the winter months. Could that be the case with Greg?

I'm wondering if LE is doing any shoe or fingerprinting of the scene.....

My biggest question is: Who was the mystery man???

Was Beverly a very private person? Or had she mentioned that she had a new friend or love interest?
I'm guessing either the mystery man paid for their meal with cash, or Beverly paid. If he used a credit or debit card, the card holder's identity can be sussed out in a few minutes via the system.
I wonder if they have done any composite sketches of the guy to try to identify him.
If she had multiple rental properties, he could have been a prospective renter, or even someone looking to buy or sell a rental property.... or pretending to be.... especially if word had gotten out about the gold bar.
I wonder if her phone records show communication with this mystery man before their lunch date. But maybe she primarily used a landline, and only had the cell for emergencies and didn't keep it on all the time.
Did ANYone see her leave with the guy? We still have no idea if she drove herself there and then went back home in her own vehicle only to disappear later. He could have followed her home and then she could have agreed to go somewhere else with him. Maybe she met with him to see if she thought he was "safe" then after lunch agreed to let him drive her somewhere.

moo

My biggest question is: Who was the mystery man???

Was Beverly a very private person? Or had she mentioned that she had a new friend or love interest?
I'm guessing either the mystery man paid for their meal with cash, or Beverly paid. If he used a credit or debit card, the card holder's identity can be sussed out in a few minutes via the system.
I wonder if they have done any composite sketches of the guy to try to identify him.
If she had multiple rental properties, he could have been a prospective renter, or even someone looking to buy or sell a rental property.... or pretending to be.... especially if word had gotten out about the gold bar.
I wonder if her phone records show communication with this mystery man before their lunch date. But maybe she primarily used a landline, and only had the cell for emergencies and didn't keep it on all the time.
Did ANYone see her leave with the guy? We still have no idea if she drove herself there and then went back home in her own vehicle only to disappear later. He could have followed her home and then she could have agreed to go somewhere else with him. Maybe she met with him to see if she thought he was "safe" then after lunch agreed to let him drive her somewhere.

moo

I'm having trouble deciding if all of this silence in the last week is a good thing or a bad thing. About a week ago they announced they were about to get warrants and start digging into phone records, e-mails, and conducting searches. I ran a search this morning and pretty much concluded that very few articles have been published about this case in the last week. Are they on to someone yet ? Have they conducted top to bottom searches of the properties in question ? Have any surveillance videos been found ? Also, as you mentioned, why no composite sketches of this mystery man ?

It's actually pretty typical for there to be a media blackout once the FBI gets involved. I think they came on around Nov. 4th or 5th, which is pretty much the same time any additional details and information dried up and everything went mute. Prior to that, the local sheriff was providing all the details and updates almost on a daily basis. You can pretty much bet that the FBI has told the local sheriff to keep his trap shut and not leak out any information.

It's probably good they asked for the FBI's help, if for no other reason than all the resources they have available to investigate these crimes. There's a good chance we may not hear much else until there's an arrest in the case, or until they ask for help in locating a suspect. Even that would be rare, since that's what they have the Marshals Service for.

I wonder what the locals discuss every morning while they're eating gravy and biscuits at the local diner ?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18
Back