Found Deceased MT - Katelynn Berry, 26, last seen @ home, suspicious, Sidney, 21 Dec 2021 *Reward*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Family reaches out to public for information on missing daughter

Thus far, local law enforcement, Richland County Emergency Maagement (sic) and local fire departments have been involved in the search. Undersheriff Bob Burnison stated officials are not asking for the public’s help in the search at this time but they are asking for any information that might allow them to locate Berry.

Why haven't the police asked property owners in the area to check their shelter belts and outbuildings? Is it because they think Katelynn has left the local area? Snow fell after she was reported missing, so the drone search is only of limited use.
BBM

JAN 4, 2022
Criminal investigation opened into disappearance of Grand Forks prosecutor’s daughter | The Dickinson Press
Dynneson [Richland County Sheriff] said residents who live in and around Sidney are encouraged to search their own properties for anything suspicious that could be connected to Berry’s disappearance.

Family reaches out to public for information on missing daughter

Thus far, local law enforcement, Richland County Emergency Maagement (sic) and local fire departments have been involved in the search. Undersheriff Bob Burnison stated officials are not asking for the public’s help in the search at this time but they are asking for any information that might allow them to locate Berry.

Why haven't the police asked property owners in the area to check their shelter belts and outbuildings? Is it because they think Katelynn has left the local area? Snow fell after she was reported missing, so the drone search is only of limited use.

It sounds like maybe LEO believe she possibly went willingly with someone she knew, from video at Town Pump?

Katelyn-Berry-copy-2.png

Last edited:
If the phone was turned off or in airplane mode or the battery was dead, then I believe the "scheduled send" feature for text messages would not work. If the volume was turned down or the ringer was muted, the "scheduled send" feature would work.

This is a good point about Katelynn's phone. I don't know much about the "scheduled sent" texting feature, but it would make sense that her phone would have to be operational (turned on, with at least some battery power) for this feature to work.

We still don't know where in the apartment Katelynn's phone was found by LE. Was it found in plain sight, or maybe it was in a different room on a charger? If it was in plain sight, on a table or counter, then her father would likely have seen her phone, even if it was in "Silent" mode with the ringer turned down/off.

Regarding the possibly Katelynn went to the Town Pump store after she was last seen by her father, do we know what the weather was like in that area on/around Dec. 23? If it was cold or snowing then she would have needed her coat. Regardless of the weather, she probably would have taken her purse and phone with her.

Hopefully LE will release some information about the Town Pump security video and either confirm or deny that she was actually there after she was last heard from.

It sounds like maybe LEO believe she possibly went willingly with someone she knew, from video at Town Pump?
I have wondered since her door locks automatically if she got locked out and went to the Town Pump to use the phone. It would explain her coat and phone being left at home. But, they would have recognized her there, right? And, she would've been seen on video? I'm almost at a loss here. MOO

I have wondered since her door locks automatically if she got locked out and went to the Town Pump to use the phone. It would explain her coat and phone being left at home. But, they would have recognized her there, right? And, she would've been seen on video? I'm almost at a loss here. MOO
My understanding is she had a key pad door lock so just had to punch in numbers to get in.

My understanding is she had a key pad door lock so just had to punch in numbers to get in.

Yes I believe this is true. I've seen several references to the keypad door lock on her apartment door. As long as the keypad was working normally I don't believe she would be locked out in this way.

Here's an update from News Radio Live in Sidney:

The phone was found face down on the couch and investigators feel it's a key piece of evidence. The phone was sent out of state to be analyzed for faster results as cell phone companies are backed up and they felt they could get the results back faster elsewhere. They're working on it now.

They do know there was an outgoing text on the 21st.

LE analyzed several videos and did not see her but there may be images of her from far away so they're going through the videos frame by frame.

They have received several tips but none of them have panned out.

Apollo, thanks for the update's in Berry's case. Hopefully once Berry's phone is analyzed we'll know more about her call and text history, should local LE decide to release that information.

Based on this report, her phone was found laying face down on the sofa in her apartment, rather than on a kitchen counter or table top. If both the sofa and the phone are dark colored, then it's possible Berry's father might not have actually seen the phone when he tried to call her from inside her apartment. However, this would also suggest the phone ringer volume was either very low or turned off/silenced at the time.

So the videos they analyzed didn’t show Katelynn.. hmmm…?
I'm guessing they checked from the time the father last saw her, maybe even a few days before to see if she was with someone, thru the end of the month. If she disappeared in that window on the 21st, I wouldn't expect there to be video of her at the business.

JAN 11, 2022
Family of missing Montana woman with Grand Forks ties offers $10,000 for her safe return - Grand Forks Herald
Katelynn Berry, a 26-year-old former resident of Grand Forks, was first reported missing to police in Sidney, Montana, on Dec. 31. Her mother is Carmell Mattison , a Grand Forks County prosecutor. Mattison, some family friends, and Hank Berry , Katelynn’s father, are offering a combined $10,000 for their daughter’s safe return by Feb. 1 or information directly leading to it, Hank Berry told the Herald on Tuesday, Jan. 11.

“As long as we get her back,” he said. Feb. 1 is Katelynn Berry’s birthday.

JAN 11, 2022
Family searching for 26-year-old daughter who disappeared 3 weeks ago in Sidney, Montana (nbcnews.com)
katelynn_berry_main_art.jpg

[...]

Carmell lives in Grand Forks, North Dakota, about a six-hour drive from Sidney, and told Dateline that it is pretty typical to go a few days without speaking with Katelynn. “She’s 26 years old. She’s an adult. We would call her and we just thought she was maybe selectively deciding not to take our call that day or for a couple of days, because she would go off and spend some time with friends and we wouldn’t hear from her for a few days.”

Both Carmell and Hank had been calling Katelynn for a couple of days. It would ring and ultimately go unanswered. Same with texts. There was no reply when asked if she was going to come over for Christmas. ...

Eventually, Carmell says that Katelynn’s phone started going directly to voicemail. ...

[...]

Carmell said she was worried because, “her coat was laying there and it’s really cold here in Montana, North Dakota. You have to have a coat -- we’ve been below zero.”

[...]

Carmell said Hank has access to Katelynn’s call logs since her phone is on his family plan. He wasn’t able to read any of Katelynn’s texts, but Carmell said he could see the call history. Carmell followed up with Dateline via email saying there were no outgoing calls after December 21.

[...]

The sheriff told Dateline that they are reaching out to the friends and associates who were in contact with Katelynn prior to her disappearance. “We do have information that she had other friends that she may have been in contact with,” he said, “But that is part of the investigation that I can’t reveal at this time.”

[...]

She's been missing for 3 weeks. As we all know, LE has uncovered more information in that time but they're not sharing because this is an ongoing investigation. Their latest statement from Jan 11th is interesting.

Richland County Sheriff’s Office
Jan 11th
At this time, the Richland County Sheriff’s Office does not believe there is anything to indicate foul play or criminal activity regarding Katelynn’s disappearance.

Are they finding indications that she left voluntarily?

She's been missing for 3 weeks. As we all know, LE has uncovered more information in that time but they're not sharing because this is an ongoing investigation. Their latest statement from Jan 11th is interesting.

Richland County Sheriff’s Office
Jan 11th
At this time, the Richland County Sheriff’s Office does not believe there is anything to indicate foul play or criminal activity regarding Katelynn’s disappearance.

Are they finding indications that she left voluntarily?

Sounds to me like they really don't have much of anything....

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raine73
Back