Found Deceased MT - Katelynn Berry, 26, last seen @ home, suspicious, Sidney, 21 Dec 2021 *Reward*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Reading the father's description of events, it sounded odd that if he lived close to the building/apt., that he would not be more aware of his daughter's absence. He actually has a home in town, going by the county property records, it's quite possible he lives there.

"Not overly concerned" doesn't mean "didn't care".
Absolutely correct! We all experience different “normals”
facts. i have an adult kid like this
I agree with Apollo's post earlier in the thread:

"Since her coat, wallet, and phone were found in her apt.---only her boots were missing---the thought has been that maybe she just planned on stepping outside briefly. Let's think about it in reverse. Is it possible she had just arrived home, set down her phone and wallet, took off her coat, was getting ready to take off her boots but someone had followed her home, made their way into her apt. before she had a chance to take them off or lock her door, and abducted her?""

IMO unfortunately either of these scenarios is possible. Berry may have stepped outside of her apartment briefly and planned to return, so she might not need her coat, phone or wallet. The other scenario of someone following her to her apartment is also possible.

If Berry was abducted from her apartment there would likely be signs of a struggle there, but I haven't seen this reported, or perhaps I've missed it?
her father stated that her door keypad had a security feature that when to door shut it automatically locked.

"Not overly concerned" doesn't mean "didn't care".
Absolutely correct! We all experience different “normals”
facts. i have an adult kid like this
I agree with Apollo's post earlier in the thread:

"Since her coat, wallet, and phone were found in her apt.---only her boots were missing---the thought has been that maybe she just planned on stepping outside briefly. Let's think about it in reverse. Is it possible she had just arrived home, set down her phone and wallet, took off her coat, was getting ready to take off her boots but someone had followed her home, made their way into her apt. before she had a chance to take them off or lock her door, and abducted her?""

IMO unfortunately either of these scenarios is possible. Berry may have stepped outside of her apartment briefly and planned to return, so she might not need her coat, phone or wallet. The other scenario of someone following her to her apartment is also possible.

If Berry was abducted from her apartment there would likely be signs of a struggle there, but I haven't seen this reported, or perhaps I've missed it?
her father stated that her door keypad had a security feature that when to door shut it automatically locked.
Reading the father's description of events, it sounded odd that if he lived close to the building/apt., that he would not be more aware of his daughter's absence. He actually has a home in town, going by the county property records, it's quite possible he lives there.
It would be hard to know what was actually going on because you do not have a direct view of the front door from the back or front of the property. Her father gave an interview where he walked us to the back walk gate and it looked like the upper door might be partially concealed from the front driveway. The father loves his daughter we need to focus on other individuals.

Might be a misunderstanding here. Katelyn's "apartment" was made by her father, using space in his very large shop, which is detached from his house, on a large property. If he didn't hear or see anything suspicious, I don't think anyone in the neighboring houses would have either.

He apparently was not in his shop 24x7.

If she was abducted at a time he wasn't there (like before 8:30 on the 23rd) the neighbors may have heard/seen something at that time.[/QUOTE]
The neighbors might want to willingly step forward and make a statement like the parents have.

He apparently was not in his shop 24x7.

If she was abducted at a time he wasn't there (like before 8:30 on the 23rd) the neighbors may have heard/seen something at that time.
The neighbors might want to willingly step forward and make a statement like the parents have.[/QUOTE]
I don't think he was in his shop much or even at all during that time. In his interviews, it sounds like he just drove out there to finish the handrail, then to drop off a package, then to check on her.
By neighbors, I take it you mean the other houses in the neighborhood. Not the quote I was originally addressing. Which was

"We really need to know about the neighbors who lived right there with her. They know something, they had to see something, they are too close, headlights, squeaky wooden steps, walking around on the floor above them, unusual vehicles, something",

Which makes it sound like there are people living in very close proximity.

rsbm

Okay, so i watched the video interview of her father. Some new questions have come to mind. Who lives in the apartments below her?!

Neighbors hearing footsteps above them was mentioned, so someone must be living on a ground floor apartment below Katelynn. I haven't seen it mentioned that these neighbors had given any information to LE. Just bum's luck if they are sound sleepers , not at home, or whatever, they would have been the nearest source of info.

I am so praying that this young woman is found safe and sound and is reunited with her family. This is heartbreaking.

Last edited:
rsbm

Neighbors hearing footsteps above them was mentioned, so someone must be living on a ground floor apartment below Katelynn. I haven't seen it mentioned that these neighbors had given any information to LE. Just bum's luck if they are sound sleepers , not at home, or whatever, they would have been the nearest source of info.

I am so praying that this young woman is found safe and sound and is reunited with her family. This is heartbreaking.

If you watch the video when he is with the reporter, or even just look at the photo of the stairs leading to the apartment, you can see the change in the roof elevation, the apartment on the lower level is towards the right, at the back of the building. The roof level of this apartment is much lower than Katelynn's, so her apartment cannot extend into that part of the building. Also, when they walk to the back of the property, the reporter points to and says is that the lower unit. The father says yes, but neither one of them says anything about someone living there. When the reporter asks the father if any of the neighbors knew
anything, he says no, one of them had some video but it didn't have anything. This conversation sounded like they were talking about the neighboring houses. I can't find anything that says there was someone in the lower apartment that heard something. Was that a statement that the police or father made? I may have missed that, but find it very strange that the reporter didn't ask and the father didn't offer this information, while they pointed at the lower level.

I haven't seen all of the videos in this thread so I may have missed this information about her phone. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

As I understand it, her father called Berry's cell phone while he was in her apartment, but he did not hear the phone ring or physically see it while he was in her apartment. However, I believe her phone was located in her apartment by LE. A couple of questions come to mind about this:

- Was Berry's phone turned off for some reason?
- Was the battery dead, therefore no ringing when her father called?
- Was the phone in "silent/meeting" mode so the volume was turned down/off?

If Berry's father did try to call her phone and none of these scenarios are accurate, then is it possible Berry's phone wasn't physically in the apartment at the time he tried to call?

If the phone was turned off or in airplane mode or the battery was dead, then I believe the "scheduled send" feature for text messages would not work. If the volume was turned down or the ringer was muted, the "scheduled send" feature would work.

A Facebook page called Williston Trending Topics News Radio Live has an interview with Hank Berry, Katelynn's father. It shows clearly the fenced yard, the trees on a neighboring property obscuring the view of the entry to Katelynn's apartment, the truck stop, a ditch and a nearby road.

Hank Berry said that Kaitlynn had been out of touch for a few days at a time in the past, but never anything like this. Thus I don't think alarm bells went off at first. He is clearly in distress.

He mentioned that he texted Kaitlynn when he dropped off a box on her porch. This was not a phone call.

The other apartment does not appear to be below Kaitlynn's, but in front of it.

Last edited:
Here's another thought. Did anyone try to break into Hank Berry's workshop? Were there any signs of forced entry into the workshop, rather than Kaitlynn's apartment? His race car is seen in the video by WTTNRL.

Family reaches out to public for information on missing daughter

This is the news article that states Kaitlynn's door locked automatically.

“If you know people and you think they’re acting a little weird right now or acting strange or not being themselves or you haven’t seen them for a while, they could possibly be a person of interest with what went on with Katelynn."

She has been missing since Dec. 21 and her cell phone records show no activity after that date.

This previous article states that two drones were used in the search.

Search continues for Katelynn Berry

Here we are 19 days later and this young lady has not been found. We have not heard anything about progress getting that phone unlocked. We have not heard anything about the Town Pump footage. We do not know for sure when exactly she disappeared just when she was not home and was not responding to calls and texts. This is a big country, she is not home, which means we have to think harder!

This article confirms that Katelynn was last seen by her father on December 21, 2021 at her apartment when he dropped off McDonalds and hugged her. It states that footage from the Town Pump was obtained by police, but the contents of the footage have never been revealed.

Father of missing Sidney, Montana, woman hopeful for her return: 'I just want her home'

So now we can update her timeline as follows:

Katelynn was last seen on December 21, 2021 at her home by her father, who delivered a meal (and a vape, as per another interview).

She last used her phone on December 21, 2021.

Her father did not see her on December 23 when he dropped off a box on her porch. He did not enter the apartment at that time. He texted, but did not get a reply. He returned another day to find the package still on the porch.

In another interview on FB with WTTNRL, Katelynn's father said she last used her phone on December 23, 2021, but this contradicts the latest news article.

Whoever pays for her phone may have accessed the phone records, whether or not her phone was unlocked. Whoever she contacted may have gotten the date wrong.

This indicates to me that Katelynn disappeared on or soon after December 21, 2021, as that is the last time anyone saw her or heard from her.

Last edited:

Thus far, local law enforcement, Richland County Emergency Maagement (sic) and local fire departments have been involved in the search. Undersheriff Bob Burnison stated officials are not asking for the public’s help in the search at this time but they are asking for any information that might allow them to locate Berry.

Why haven't the police asked property owners in the area to check their shelter belts and outbuildings? Is it because they think Katelynn has left the local area? Snow fell after she was reported missing, so the drone search is only of limited use.

This article confirms that Katelynn was last seen by her father on December 21, 2021 at her apartment when he dropped off McDonalds and hugged her. It states that footage from the Town Pump was obtained by police, but the contents of the footage have never been revealed.

Father of missing Sidney, Montana, woman hopeful for her return: 'I just want her home'

So now we can update her timeline as follows:

Katelynn was last seen on December 21, 2021 at her home by her father, who delivered a meal (and a vape, as per another interview).

She last used her phone on December 21, 2021.

Her father did not see her on December 23 when he dropped off a box on her porch. He did not enter the apartment at that time. He texted, but did not get a reply. He returned another day to find the package still on the porch.

In another interview on FB with WTTNRL, Katelynn's father said she last used her phone on December 23, 2021, but this contradicts the latest news article.

Whoever pays for her phone may have accessed the phone records, whether or not her phone was unlocked. Whoever she contacted may have gotten the date wrong.

This indicates to me that Katelynn disappeared on or soon after December 21, 2021, as that is the last time anyone saw her or heard from her.
On the 23rd, he dropped off the package at around 8:30 am and returned the same day, not another day, at 1pm to find the package still on the porch, took it inside and put it on the couch.

On the 23rd, he dropped off the package at around 8:30 am and returned the same day, not another day, at 1pm to find the package still on the porch, took it inside and put it on the couch.

She was last seen on December 21 by her father. Her phone was last used on December 21. She has not been seen since by anyone.

She was last seen on December 21 by her father. Her phone was last used on December 21. She has not been seen since by anyone.
My post was in response to your timeline that said :

''Her father did not see her on December 23 when he dropped off a box on her porch. He did not enter the apartment at that time. He texted, but did not get a reply. He returned another day to find the package still on the porch.''

That statement is incorrect. He did not return another day---he returned the same day--about 5 hours later.
It's important to get the facts straight when posting a timeline.

My post was in response to your timeline that said :

''Her father did not see her on December 23 when he dropped off a box on her porch. He did not enter the apartment at that time. He texted, but did not get a reply. He returned another day to find the package still on the porch.''

That statement is incorrect. He did not return another day---he returned the same day--about 5 hours later.
It's important to get the facts straight when posting a timeline.

He also said she used her phone on December 23, which is in contrast to get her missing posters and the latest news article.

Reactions: ?!?

Thus far, local law enforcement, Richland County Emergency Maagement (sic) and local fire departments have been involved in the search. Undersheriff Bob Burnison stated officials are not asking for the public’s help in the search at this time but they are asking for any information that might allow them to locate Berry.

Why haven't the police asked property owners in the area to check their shelter belts and outbuildings? Is it because they think Katelynn has left the local area? Snow fell after she was reported missing, so the drone search is only of limited use.
I did hear her mother, I believe, to check their property for anything unusual.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hawk53
Back