Found Deceased MT - Katelynn Berry, 26, last seen @ home, suspicious, Sidney, 21 Dec 2021 *Reward*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
SBM
The coroner doesn't still have her remains? When were they released? As of this post, I hadn't heard the medical examiner in Billings had positively identified the remains yet let alone the COD or MOD.

according to this article they’ve been identified:

The remains found near Sidney, Montana, last week are the body of missing woman Katelynn Berry, her father told the Herald on Monday, Jan. 24.
Remains found in Montana last week are Katelynn Berry's, father says

All good points. It is typical though that when a memorial service is planned most of the questions have been answered as far as the family is concerned. Memorials without a body that are criminal acts are usually postponed in some cases for years. They have their daughter back and want to celebrate her young life which just makes me feel like they know the story even when we do not. LE might just be giving them time to celebrate before they issue a statement. If this indeed is a homicide i will have to rethink my entire approach to listening to my gut instinct which has been telling from the beginning this was very close to home and was likely a very unfortunate tragedy.

hqdefault.jpg

The Berry property is directly across the street from the house with the pool. She would not need to be on anyone's property until she entered the field. In the above photo, the green area to the left of Katelynn's upper arm, is the field in question. Co Road 123 is the north border of the field. The left or west side border is 349R. Ninety feet from 349R and into the field, from what the reporter said, is where the remains were.
That is an agricultural sprinkler system company across the street from the field, she could have walked past three other houses on 349R. I promise this will be my last post to do with the location.

So she left her home, turned left onto County Rd 349r and continued up 349r north until she had passed the home with the pool. Was her home on the opposite side of the road? Was Katelynn eventually found in the field on the same side of the County Rd she lived on or the side with the pool? If she was found on the pool side property was it at the back of the property or the side of the property?

All good points. It is typical though that when a memorial service is planned most of the questions have been answered as far as the family is concerned. Memorials without a body that are criminal acts are usually postponed in some cases for years. They have their daughter back and want to celebrate her young life which just makes me feel like they know the story even when we do not. LE might just be giving them time to celebrate before they issue a statement. If this indeed is a homicide i will have to rethink my entire approach to listening to my gut instinct which has been telling from the beginning this was very close to home and was likely a very unfortunate tragedy.
Everything you've said makes sense and you're probably right.

It's just those dang text messages that bother me.

hqdefault.jpg

The Berry property is directly across the street from the house with the pool. She would not need to be on anyone's property until she entered the field. In the above photo, the green area to the left of Katelynn's upper arm, is the field in question. Co Road 123 is the north border of the field. The left or west side border is 349R. Ninety feet from 349R and into the field, from what the reporter said, is where the remains were.
That is an agricultural sprinkler system company across the street from the field, she could have walked past three other houses on 349R. I promise this will be my last post to do with the location.
Thank you so much a picture surely is worth a thousand questions, ha. So she was 90ft. off the road which is about 36 steps. Her father said there was no snow on the ground until Christmas. Just from my own experience my driveway is 35ft long. The side of my home is 60 ft long with my covered patio another 15 ft long. I stood on that patio and could see the street beyond my driveway. It seems like when she was reported missing, people in that area would have been more curious and looking around, unless it is mostly industrial, or people were already gone for Christmas or just went and returned from work in the dark. I wonder how many times that family drove that rode in their search for her. Does anyone know the approximate distance of 349r in that general vicinity? Again, thank you so much.

Everything you've said makes sense and you're probably right.

It's just those dang text messages that bother me.
I agree! Who actually said there were text messages sent on those days? Do we know for sure that actually happened?

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTE="Unstoppable Mom said: I agree! Who actually said there were text messages sent on those days? Do we know for sure that actually happened? [/QUOTE]

Katelynn Berry Missing: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Between midnight and 8:30 a.m. is when Berry might have gone missing. She had contact with individuals on December 23 and 24. There was a text message sent out from her phone, the sheriff said. He said he wasn’t sure if it was by her or someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
I spoke too soon. Thirty feet doesn't change the outcome but, I looked at a number of methods (online calculators) of estimating the distance of 48 paces. The calculators show 120 ft, as opposed to the reporter saying it is about 90 ft. From looking at the other videos with this reporter, he is a tall man, so his height would not mean a shortened pace length. Note, he is quoting LE about the 1100 ft. distance.

Williston Trending Topics News Radio Live
"(Update: The body was found approximately 90 feet from the road. I counted 48 paces from where her body was found to the road. 1100 feet to her apartment )"

Last edited:
About those text messages----here's a thought: Maybe they made a mistake and they were actually incoming messages, not outgoing. They didn't know what the messages said at the time---just that there were messages. We know her father was texting her during this time.

according to this article they’ve been identified:

The remains found near Sidney, Montana, last week are the body of missing woman Katelynn Berry, her father told the Herald on Monday, Jan. 24.
Remains found in Montana last week are Katelynn Berry's, father says
An hour ago, Tom Simon of News Radio Live, reported the Richland County Sheriff's Dept cannot confirm the remains are those of Katelynn Berry.. He has not yet received the report from the Medical Examiner. The Medical Examiner has said when the report is completed, he will send it to the local coroner and the Sheriff's Dept. Right now it's still a criminal investigation according to the sheriff.

The Celebration of Life will be held Friday at 2pm and the public is invited.

You wait because she is a young adult with friends and is allowed to make decisions for herself. The parents have said she suffers from mental health issues, perhaps Christmas was no big deal to her. I agree that this is how most of us would feel but young adults don't deal with things like we do and sometimes it is better to let them alone until they work through something. The dad said he was worried all Christmas Day, if he could have forced her to come he probably would have but when our young adults are working through things they sometimes need more time. As many parents of young adults will tell you it is a tough road to allow them freedom even when you feel like protecting them from everything. These parents worry every time a day goes by and the phone or text is not answered they grow accustomed to losing sleep and doing drive-by’s, it is what parents worried about their young adults do.
I totally understand because we have a special needs adult child in the family.

[QUOTE="Unstoppable Mom said: I agree! Who actually said there were text messages sent on those days? Do we know for sure that actually happened?

Katelynn Berry Missing: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Between midnight and 8:30 a.m. is when Berry might have gone missing. She had contact with individuals on December 23 and 24. There was a text message sent out from her phone, the sheriff said. He said he wasn’t sure if it was by her or someone else.

Was that contact by phone on the 23rd and 24th? If she was alive on those days were was she? Was she hiding in her own home when her dad showed up, maybe that is why the phone that was previously not there, suddenly there? Is this what you are conflicted about?

Well when you get the remains of your loved one back (they do not have them back as of this writing) and a celebration is planned for a week after those remains were found this is not a ( or perhaps is a) murder. Law enforcement and the Coroner have a tendency to hold onto remains if they are still investigating something. The cause of death is most likely Hypothermia ( or foul play) resulting from a manic episode which would be a good guess or from drug overdose. There has been no statement issued from the Richland County Sheriff’s office, we have not been informed of the content of that final text or even if the phone was used on December 23 or 24. We have no leads on any video footage obtained from video in and around the Town Pump and the Sheriff stated that they had received no clues but since the snow had melted they would conduct a search close to her last known location. The public has not been asked to help in any way since the remains were found. The toxicology will take several more weeks. I think the family will release a statement when those results are known and I think it is more likely a tragedy than a homicide. However if she indeed did have drugs in her system then we might hear from Law Enforcement again. Her father had the pulse on his daughter i believe, he mentioned he had a hard time getting her to take her mental health meds like most families dealing with mental health issues experience. When he also told us in that interview that she had recently began using drugs, i think his radar was turned on full force which is why the delay with reporting her missing had occurred. This time was different, he has acknowledged. While she had left without her phone before for various periods of time this was longer than her previous events. He brought her food and tended to her needs and gave her money out of ❤️. The non driving and the lack of a job are further indicators that there was an issue ongoing. The lack of any firm commitment to Christmas was also an indicator. Him asking her to hug him as he left from seeing her for the very last time, tells me that he was really hurting inside and he actually needed the hug and reassurance that things were looking up. His deep commitment to Katelynn, his constant checking up on her and even finishing the handrail on Christmas Eve day were acts of love and wanting to let her know that she mattered… that she was loved…. And that he would do anything in the world, to help her, protect her, and listen to her. This family has been through a lot over the years, i assume, and had maybe had close calls before and worried this might happen at some point and that is why they kept close tabs on her. Her dad appeared to use every tool at his disposal to find his daughter but time just ran out, sadly. I know nothing more than anyone else but people emote when they speak and if we listen very carefully we can see cracks were no words are spoken. This case really haunts me because these stories are becoming to frequent. We have to find solutions that actually work, we need to help parents who need help with their young adults. All the love in the world could not save Katelynn but we have to keep looking for the answers or this will happen to another family and another and another and another and another!

I still wonder how she wasn't seen in previous searches. I know they said they weren't done in that area before, but that's so close to home, I don't understand why that area wasn't searched to begin with.
Yes, you would think they would have started from her apt and worked their way out on previous searches. 1100 ft in all directions just isn't that far.

I'm still waiting for the COD. Was it hypothermia or something else? And how about the MOD? It wasn't natural, so was it accident, suicide, homicide, or undetermined?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spamyspam
Back