Found Deceased MT - Rita Maze, 47, Wolf Creek, 6 Sept 2016 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What would the Go Fund Me be for to begin with?? Does everyone automatically start a for any ol reason these days now?? sheesh

What would the Go Fund Me be for to begin with?? Does everyone automatically start a for any ol reason these days now?? sheesh

This was originally a missing persons case, though only for a few hours. Money can be used to hire private search firms in mp cases. Once she was found dead, the money can be used for her funeral expenses. Funerals are not cheap.

ETA: I also see that 2 of her children live in Germany. No doubt they will need money to fly home to Montana now.

I'm thinking car jacking, and that the panic was real. She probably couldn't find the trunk exit latch or was unaware of one. She couldn't talk all the time or the guy would hear her, and/or phone battery would die. Was killed because she was a witness,
and the driving time could vary a lot depending on the route or if he made stops.

So before she called her husband at 10:25 pm, LE called her number at 10:00 pm.

I wouldn't assume that time detail is correct, another report states

"An officer called the number Maze used to call her family, heard gunshots and then nothing. Those shots were heard five minutes before officials had traced the cell phone to the area of Geiger and Spotted Road. "

http://www.krem.com/news/local/spokane

This was originally a missing persons case, though only for a few hours. Money can be used to hire private search firms in mp cases. Once she was found dead, the money can be used for her funeral expenses. Funerals are not cheap.

ETA: I also see that 2 of her children live in Germany. No doubt they will need money to fly home to Montana now.

I suppose... I just find it sad that a is set up within hours. What ever did people do before ? Pay for their own funerals?? Sorry, not a fan but its nice that people are willing to donate their money. :)

Was her family expecting her to come home or did they believe she was going back to Helena?

That is a good question. Why don't reporters write clearly?!?!

At first I assumed this meant that in the future at some point, Rita wanted to go back to Helena. That doesn't really make much sense because she was visiting her mother - why say you intended to visit your mother again?

But now I'm wondering if Rita meant she wanted to go back right then to visit some more. Maybe she said this to buy some time on the road?

Totally unclear what that sentence means. The reporting on this case is disappointing.

jmo

I'm thinking car jacking, and the panic was real. She couldn't the find exit latch or was unaware of one. She couldn't talk all the time or guy would hear her, and/or battery die. Was killed because she was a witness. The driving time could vary a lot depending on the route or if he made stops.

Why would she wait 10 hours to make a call just to "save battery?" Any rational person would start calling 911 like mad, and if the battery dies, at least you tried!

And the exit latch literally glowed in the dark.

And no kidnapper would let her take a phone into the trunk in the first place!

What if she didn't have a gun in the car? Then his plan would have been to let her go?

I am 99% certain that tomorrow we will find out:
-- she made all the purchases herself
-- nobody's prints are in the car but hers
-- she appears alone in all surveillance videos
-- she does not have a head wound from being hit
-- she has gunshot residue on her hands and only her prints are on the gun

Friends most often do it, rather than the family themselves. They want to support the family and prevent them from having to worry about money on top of everything else. And many people feel good giving a small donation to show they care.

I think that I heard the daughter tell NG that her mom was expected home which was why they were alarmed in the afternoon. JMO

$10k was originally requested for funeral expenses. The person in the community says the remainder will be split between family members - husband is laid off, daughter to be used for her dream wedding, and son and his two children.

http://www.khq.com/story/33054514/fbi-confirms-no-person-of-interest-in-rita-maze-case

Newly filed court documents bring up even more questions, an officer said she called Maze's cell phone number about 10:00 p.m. Tuesday night. Someone answered and the officer said there were gunshots, then silence.

I'm so confused. What court documents would LE be filing at this point? Are they pressing charges against someone for a false report? They have no POI and no arrest so what other "court documents" would there be?

Can anyone answer this? What court documents would there be right now? Is this just another example of bad reporting or what?

Friends most often do it, rather than the family themselves. They want to support the family and prevent them from having to worry about money on top of everything else. And many people feel good giving a small donation to show they care.

Yes, I think it's to provide some comfort and express care. People in the past would show up with food with the same intention - to ease a bit of the hardships of a tragedy. Nowadays people don't do the food thing as often (for a variety of reasons) but might make a small donation, even to strangers.

Can anyone answer this? What court documents would there be right now? Is this just another example of bad reporting or what?

Maybe it's just the police report or incident report...? JMO

Yes, I think it's to provide some comfort and express care. People in the past would show up with food with the same intention - to ease a bit of the hardships of a tragedy. Nowadays people don't do the food thing as often (for a variety of reasons) but might make a small donation, even to strangers.
People also used to open bank accounts for others to donate to. I've been to a number of memorials with account information on the program.

I think many here are deeply skeptical about this kind of charity crowdsourcing with good reason...we have seen some dubious characters cashing-in on crime and tragedy...
But in my opinion, and I think in most cases, people are unprepared for a death in the family. Even a cheap funeral/cremation with a frugal service can cost over $10,000 and there are many other 'out of pocket expenses' and 'loss of wages' that most families have never planned for. Often it is an aunt or uncle, brother or sister that steps forward to try to do something in a situation that makes virtually everyone feel helpless. I don't like to see any exploitation of a tragedy but I think gathering funds to help affray the costs of an unexpected death is perfectly appropriate, (and as it is quite an anonymous way to contribute, if it doesn't sit right with you, just scroll forth)

I suppose... I just find it sad that a is set up within hours. What ever did people do before ? Pay for their own funerals?? Sorry, not a fan but its nice that people are willing to donate their money. :)

Before the Internet, newspaper articles would likely say at the bottom, if you would like to donate, send check here. The difference today is that these articles are reaching more people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone keeps thinking suicide but what I can't get over is the fact she was in the trunk!! At an airport!! HOW would they not hear a gun go off at an airport?!?!

Before the Internet, newspaper articles would likely say at the bottom, if you would like to donate, send check here. The difference today is that these articles are reaching more people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And many people include a small amount of money in condolences cards. I remember being surprised by that when my dad died. (His death was not a financial burden to the family, but I imagine if it were, the donations we received might have been bigger. In his case, I think the money was simply to make daily tasks a bit easier - cash was on hand to purchase whatever was needed to get though those horrible days after a death.

Sorry to go off on a tangent. Just remembering the cash given by elderly aunts and neighbors.....touching.

People also used to open bank accounts for others to donate to. I've been to a number of memorials with account information on the program.

True. I know I've seen it on the news when a fund is started for victims of fires or floods, families of murder victims, or soldiers, etc. People also spread the word at church and work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08