Nancy Cooper, 34, of Cary, N.C. #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's probably true as I don't think TS has any involvement with immigration issues. Seems Brad was resolving one of her issues though through Cisco - with respect to a green card, heard that but can't remember where. Might be BS. Do you recall that - Brad getting her a green card through Cisco?

Maybe JA's aff.

thank you for the report and photographs of the area were nancy's body was found, sleuthygal. thanks to all who attended.

i hope that your dog feels better soon, wirehair.

That's probably true as I don't think TS has any involvement with immigration issues. Seems Brad was resolving one of her issues though through Cisco - with respect to a green card, heard that but can't remember where. Might be BS. Do you recall that - Brad getting her a green card through Cisco?
brad could have been dragging his feet about nancy's greencard. it was a very importnat way he could control her.

if her greencard was tied to cisco and brad, she would have to stay married to him for even longer.

Supposedly yes...that's why she was delaying the separation filing. That was in one of her friend's affidavits.

i have witnessed a over a half a dozen greencard hassles involving friends. it can take years and lots of money, sometimes requiring switching immigration lawyers.

fingerprints and blood tests expire while the INS is bungling your paperwork. the applicants on the last leg of clinton's term got especially screwed.

i witnessed this firsthand and went to a final interview. it was like the KGB. very creepy and scary.

Interact operates under the United Way to provide a domestic violence shelter. In my experience with them, they really could not do anything for me until I actually left my ex. Once at the secret, private facility, we 'interacted' with the other residents, shared in grocery shopping and cleaning, had off site group sessions to discuss DV, had social times (movies, etc). Interact had a file of information, including attorney names, social services, job banks, etc., to help the women move back into self sufficiency.
There also was counseling for the children. But none of this was 'free'. We had to either pay a nominal sum, or work off our debt. And yes, in extreme cases they would accept women from other states, or move them out of the area. There also was a length of time for the live-in session - and I forget just how long it was. I do remember that I left the program early. Just remember, that my experience was 20 years ago. I don't know how they operate now, but believe it would be essentially the same. And, in my opinion, they would not provide counseling for someone not in the program, and they would not appear in court to testify about any counseling, but would perhaps appear to testify as to the types of abuse.

according to their website, Interactprovdes help for women with finding housing and employment.
i don't think TS would do that.

Interact operates under the United Way to provide a domestic violence shelter. In my experience with them, they really could not do anything for me until I actually left my ex. Once at the secret, private facility, we 'interacted' with the other residents, shared in grocery shopping and cleaning, had off site group sessions to discuss DV, had social times (movies, etc). Interact had a file of information, including attorney names, social services, job banks, etc., to help the women move back into self sufficiency.
There also was counseling for the children. But none of this was 'free'. We had to either pay a nominal sum, or work off our debt. And yes, in extreme cases they would accept women from other states, or move them out of the area. There also was a length of time for the live-in session - and I forget just how long it was. I do remember that I left the program early. Just remember, that my experience was 20 years ago. I don't know how they operate now, but believe it would be essentially the same. And, in my opinion, they would not provide counseling for someone not in the program, and they would not appear in court to testify about any counseling, but would perhaps appear to testify as to the types of abuse.
Very helpful info, Star. Thanks!!

it could be that TS attorneys handle some cases on a sliding scale or pro bono as a way of giving back to the community.

sometimes lawyers volunteer their services through other organizations; this could be the case with alice stubbs. she may have an association with Interact.

after reading Star's post, it does seem likely that Interact was just going to be called as an expert witness of how a women in nancy's situation may have reacted or the effect on the cooper children.

Supposedly yes...that's why she was delaying the separation filing. That was in one of her friend's affidavits.

I found it. I quess the green card became an essential item since Brad could not find a position in Toronto so Nancy decided to stay in the US. From this it seems immigration issues would not be of a concern prior to this time and as long as she was married to Brad. The separation would require her to obtain a green card to remain. So we can probably date this to about the same time or shortly after the preparation of the separation agreement. If Brad was indeed getting the green card through Cisco, which Cisco can verify or deny either way, Nancy didn't have any immigration issues really.

I found it. I quess the green card became an essential item since Brad could not find a position in Toronto so Nancy decided to stay in the US. From this it seems immigration issues would not be of a concern prior to this time and as long as she was married to Brad. The separation would require her to obtain a green card to remain. So we can probably date this to about the same time or shortly after the preparation of the separation agreement. If Brad was indeed getting the green card through Cisco, which Cisco can verify or deny either way, Nancy didn't have any immigration issues really.

Wow...I'd sure hate to have to rely on my husband to get me a green card while I was divorcing him and trying to take everything he had...

What an awful situation. Seems like she would be looking for help in any way shape or form, and from any source available.

Wow...I'd sure hate to have to rely on my husband to get me a green card while I was divorcing him and trying to take everything he had...

What an awful situation. Seems like she would be looking for help in any way shape or form, and from any source available.

Quess she could have moved into a shelter, but she didn't.

I'm not familiar with Interact, but would think if they were active they would have been called in to assist the day the 7 or 8 Police had to pull the child from Brad's arms. I am surprised that came down the way it did. I would have thought the police would have called in CPS and they would have taken the children, offered milk and cookies, explained they were going to spend a few days with gramps and grandma etc. I really just can't agree with the way the police handled that part of this case.

I concur, that was rough. Poor little thing knew something was up and was probably scared to death.:mad:

But who knows what Brad said to her, either, or how he said it. Really, I do not think it would have been a good thing for the grandparents to take the children. I can't see just how else this could have been done.

But who knows what Brad said to her, either, or how he said it. Really, I do not think it would have been a good thing for the grandparents to take the children. I can't see just how else this could have been done.

In a comforting environment, with a gentle explanation about what was going on? I am sure it could've been handled better.

My only problem is the way it was done via Ex Parte hearing. They (including her family's attorneys) knew that BC was in town, knew he had been to his lawyer's office, etc. They could have notified him so he could have attended/defended himself at the hearing. I know that the judge had to hear something to make the decision that he did and surely wouldn't have wanted to be responsible IF anything happened to the girls if they remained in BC's care, but I still don't like the way it was done.

Edited to clarify, I don't like the way it was described as going down in BC's affidavit either, I was just trying to convey that it could've been handled better from the beginning.

Didn't Nancy's parents and Brad "share" the girls early on in the investigation?

I'm wondering if Nancy's dad (since he worked for Social Services) was able to question Bella. I know I would gently question my nieces if something happened to my sister. It's amazing what they can tell you! But I do agree that the questioning would have to happen soon after in order to put a lot of merit in its accuracy - based on the fact that young children aren't too good with elapsed time.

Could Bella's information been the detail that convinced the judge to give custody to Nancy's sister and parents?

My only problem is the way it was done via Ex Parte hearing. They (including her family's attorneys) knew that BC was in town, knew he had been to his lawyer's office, etc. They could have notified him so he could have attended/defended himself at the hearing. I know that the judge had to hear something to make the decision that he did and surely wouldn't have wanted to be responsible IF anything happened to the girls if they remained in BC's care, but I still don't like the way it was done.

Edited to clarify, I don't like the way it was described as going down in BC's affidavit either, I was just trying to convey that it could've been handled better from the beginning.

The thing about the Ex Parte hearing is that is a one-sided hearing. And by law the other party's time to respond is within a proscribed time period. That gives him time to prepare his side, also. So it's not as though he did not have a chance - and the protection of the children was of the prime importance.

The thing about the Ex Parte hearing is that is a one-sided hearing. And by law the other party's time to respond is within a proscribed time period. That gives him time to prepare his side, also. So it's not as though he did not have a chance - and the protection of the children was of the prime importance.

Are there NEVER emergency custody hearings where both sides are present?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moondashiie