NC - 12-year-old dies at Trails Carolina wilderness therapy camp, Lake Toxaway, February 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
10 days late, but better than never.

Interesting, that they don't seem to have sent kids home.
I realize that we don’t know the background or circumstances of why the kids are there, but I would have literally gone WILD as a parent if my kid was in there! I’d have been driving nonstop to NC on Day 1 to get there and rescue my troubled, unruly, out of control child from that environment. The kids had to have been first traumatized by the death and then by the further abandonment by their parents not immediately swooping in to get them after the (I’m assuming) murder. I’m going to guess those kids have stories of their own about their experiences there. I feel so bad for the kids, the extra therapy that these kids will need to sort through all this. Parents are going to need therapy too for the guilt. My opinion only.

So much for Trails statement the other day that their own internal investigation and that of "outside professionals who are subject-matter experts" finding that they have done nothing wrong and have been concluded blah blah blah.
IMO, sounds as though everything is directed by lawyers who are in CYA damage control mode. I'm sure whatever insurance they carry is also involved because they are going to be on the hook for the lawsuit.

Also curious to know what's happening with "staff" who were on duty in the cabin. Have they been provided legal representation by the Trails?

I get the desperation that can cause parents at wits end with behavioral issue kids to investigate any and all options. But for me personally, I don't trust people enough to allow them to spirit my kid away to some distant local where I can't set eyes on and speak with my child as much as I want to ensure they are being properly treated and cared for.

That is just me. Of course, my kids didn't go to regular camp as children either, except my youngest son did go away for a week with his church/school peer group when he was in middle school (about CJH's age). That camp was just down the road from us and had an open door parent policy and was supervised by teachers and school staff I knew and was comfortable with.

I do feel for CJH's parents. Regardless of the fact my decision about sending my child to a camp such as this would differ from theirs, I don't believe they sent him there because they are uncaring or expected something like this to happen. No parent should have to bury their 12 year old. :(

You know, I get it that kids can have emotional problems, fall in with the wrong crowd, or go through rebellious stages. But, sending them to these sorts of boot camps is nuts.
IMO, the extremely harsh treatment is tied to their 100% guarantee, and therefore the incredibly high fees.

It's that old chestnut, beloved of fascists everywhere, "the end justifies the means".

JMO

Paris Hilton (yes, the one) is doing a lot to try and reform this industry. She was sent to a terrible camp in Utah where she was abused.

"The bill would create federal data collection and reporting standards for the “troubled teen” industry and provide states with best practices to prevent abuse.

Sens. Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.), John Cornyn (R-Texas) and Tommy Tuberville (R-Ala.), as well as Reps. Ro Khanna (D-Calif.) and Buddy Carter (R-Ga.) joined Hilton at the Capitol to discuss the Stop Institutional Child Abuse Act, sponsored by Carter, Cornyn, Khanna and Merkley."

I don't understand how they could get by declining a request. One child was already dead--why didn't law enforcement intervene and make sure social services checked on the welfare of the other kid? It's like they treated them with kid gloves.
Maybe there is some big money people with bothersome kids there? IMO

Just saw this:

- - - - - - - - -

Children removed from NC wilderness therapy camp after 12-year-old boy dies​

The state has removed children from a western North Carolina wilderness therapy camp and stopped all camp admissions after a 12-year-old boy died at the site.
Posted 11:01 a.m. Feb 14 - Updated 10:10 a.m. Today

According to the Transylvania County Sheriff's Office, the boy, who is from New York, arrived Friday, Feb. 2, at Trails Carolina Camp, 500 Winding Gap Road. The camp is described as a "wilderness therapy program" for kids and teenagers ages 10 to 17 "who struggle with mental health challenges," according to its website.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
More here:

IMO, sounds as though everything is directed by lawyers who are in CYA damage control mode. I'm sure whatever insurance they carry is also involved because they are going to be on the hook for the lawsuit.

Also curious to know what's happening with "staff" who were on duty in the cabin. Have they been provided legal representation by the Trails?

I feel very bad for the staff in the bunk room, too. I realize this might be an unpopular opinion, but they sound very young, inexperienced and did not receive much training. Recipe for disaster when thrown in with difficult kids who may well have other medical or psychiatric conditions.
For goodness sakes, their own parents’ had trouble controlling them. That’s a lot to expect from a recent college grad without much experience. What a shame that therapists weren’t available around the clock for support of new campers.

I feel very bad for the staff in the bunk room, too. I realize this might be an unpopular opinion, but they sound very young, inexperienced and did not receive much training. Recipe for disaster when thrown in with difficult kids who may well have other medical or psychiatric conditions.
For goodness sakes, their own parents’ had trouble controlling them. That’s a lot to expect from a recent college grad without much experience. What a shame that therapists weren’t available around the clock for support of new campers.
What makes you think they're very young, inexperienced and lack training?

What makes you think they're very young, inexperienced and lack training?
Questions about staff qualifications, training

Jonathan Hyde went to work at Trails last summer after being laid off from several jobs during the pandemic.

His professional background is in outdoor guiding and he figured he was well-equipped to work with kids in the wilderness.

But he was not prepared for the level of care the teens he was with would require.

Jonathan Hyde, who worked at Trails Carolina during the summer 2020, talks with WBTV Chief Investigative Reporter Nick Ochsner.(Corey Schmidt)
“I had kids that were vocally suicidal. I had kids that tried running away. I had kids that would try and fight you,” Hyde said.

“One of the issues of the place is that the people that spend the majority of the time with them are not trained therapists.”

Hyde was given three days of training before being sent to into the woods with participants.

That’s shorter than what an attorney for Trails Carolina recently told members of the N.C. Senate, who wrote a letter to the camp raising various questions about its program.

The letter said the facility follows a six-day training program and attached a schedule outlining which activities take place on specific days.

The program outlined in the letter to senators is not what Hyde experienced when he was hired last year.

“There was training but it was extremely minimal,” he said.

Both Hyde and the letter from Trails Carolina to the senators acknowledged turnover his high; staff members supervising participants in the woods make minimum wage.
‘It’s beyond cruel’: Inside an N.C. wilderness therapy program for teens

Questions about staff qualifications, training

Jonathan Hyde went to work at Trails last summer after being laid off from several jobs during the pandemic.

His professional background is in outdoor guiding and he figured he was well-equipped to work with kids in the wilderness.

But he was not prepared for the level of care the teens he was with would require.

Jonathan Hyde, who worked at Trails Carolina during the summer 2020, talks with WBTV Chief Investigative Reporter Nick Ochsner.(Corey Schmidt)
“I had kids that were vocally suicidal. I had kids that tried running away. I had kids that would try and fight you,” Hyde said.

“One of the issues of the place is that the people that spend the majority of the time with them are not trained therapists.”

Hyde was given three days of training before being sent to into the woods with participants.

That’s shorter than what an attorney for Trails Carolina recently told members of the N.C. Senate, who wrote a letter to the camp raising various questions about its program.

The letter said the facility follows a six-day training program and attached a schedule outlining which activities take place on specific days.

The program outlined in the letter to senators is not what Hyde experienced when he was hired last year.

“There was training but it was extremely minimal,” he said.

Both Hyde and the letter from Trails Carolina to the senators acknowledged turnover his high; staff members supervising participants in the woods make minimum wage.
‘It’s beyond cruel’: Inside an N.C. wilderness therapy program for teens
You're kinder than I am.
When the investigation and final autopsy report are completed only then will I know if I feel sympathetic towards them.

BBM. There definitely needs better regulation and oversight of the administrators of these programs.

JMO

Maybe the big money belongs to the land owner whose land taxes may be some of the largest in the county and the out-of-state money he brings in fuels the local economy?
On the warrant, you will see the taxes. The owner is taxed as though the land is worth $10 per acre.

I would speculate that one reason they prolly use tents, bivvies, and the yurt thrown-together contraption is to keep taxes down.

Aug.3. 2023

Trails Carolina and other program leaders should be key stakeholders in federal and state decision-making, engaging with parents and legislators to make substantial improvements in the industry.”

!!!!!!! Graham Shannonhouse, Founder of Trails Carolina

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back