Found Deceased NC - Devin Clark, 18, Lyric Woods, 14, found murdered after going missing in Alamance Co., 16 Sep 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
JUVENILE PETITION FILED IN ORANGE COUNTY HOMICIDE CASE
Hillsborough, NC (September 20, 2022) – Orange County Sheriff Charles Blackwood announced this afternoon that the investigation into the deaths of Devin Clark, 18, and Lyric Woods, 14, led authorities to seek a juvenile petition against a 17 year old for two counts of first-degree murder. Juvenile court personnel with the Division of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention filed the petition this afternoon.
Sheriff Blackwood said, “Through the hard work of my investigators, along with the assistance of personnel from many other law enforcement agencies, we have identified a suspect in this case. We will now work with local, state, and federal authorities to apprehend and present the suspect to the court system.”
Beginning December 1, 2019, 16- and 17-year-old individuals who commit crimes in North Carolina are no longer charged automatically in the adult criminal justice system. If there is a notice of indictment or the court finds probable cause for a Class A-G felony committed by a 16 or 17 year old, a district court judge shall transfer the case to superior court. First-degree murder is a Class A felony.
Sheriff Blackwood also said, “I want to thank the families of Devin Clark and Lyric Woods for trusting us and the investigative process during this excruciatingly painful time. I hope the imminent apprehension of this subject will bring them some comfort as they mourn their loved ones.”
The Orange County Sheriff’s Office (OCSO) has an active task force program within the office. Through inter-agency agreements, the OCSO has relationships with many other law enforcement agencies. When needed, multiple agencies work together to investigate crime, leveraging their skills, talents, and experiences.
Said Blackwood, “I am eternally grateful for the relationships we have with local, state, and federal partners. I would like to specifically thank the Alamance County Sheriff’s Office, the Burlington Police Department, the Efland Fire Department, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and the Viper Unit with the North Carolina State Highway Patrol for their instrumental assistance.”
The investigation remains active. Anyone with additional information is asked to call Investigator Keith Goodwin at (919) 245-2918.

I don't feel the drug vibe either. I am wondering if they were good friends and she was meeting someone and he went along to keep her safe, I know that is the version just seeing the good but I just feel they were innocent victims, could be wrong of course.
Being out so late at night sounds fishy to me. Sounds like maybe they were possibly doing a drug or alcohol meet up to me and something went wrong. Even good kids can get into trouble.

Being out so late at night sounds fishy to me. Sounds like maybe they were possibly doing a drug or alcohol meet up to me and something went wrong. Even good kids can get into trouble.
We all remember being a teenager and going out or sneaking out very late to be with friends or love interests. Not all are out doing bad things, just being teenagers and getting away from parents. Sneaking out is almost a right of passage.

Going back and rereading some news articles, I found this interesting: "The search took authorities to backwoods' trails and hunting stands and they used a K-9 dog to search for her. It was determined, with the help of the dog and Woods' pillow case, that Lyric left her home and went through woods where four wheelers drove through, according to the report."

Source: Two high school students, aged 14 and and 18, are found shot dead

JUVENILE PETITION FILED IN ORANGE COUNTY HOMICIDE CASE
Hillsborough, NC (September 20, 2022) – Orange County Sheriff Charles Blackwood announced this afternoon that the investigation into the deaths of Devin Clark, 18, and Lyric Woods, 14, led authorities to seek a juvenile petition against a 17 year old for two counts of first-degree murder. Juvenile court personnel with the Division of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention filed the petition this afternoon.
Sheriff Blackwood said, “Through the hard work of my investigators, along with the assistance of personnel from many other law enforcement agencies, we have identified a suspect in this case. We will now work with local, state, and federal authorities to apprehend and present the suspect to the court system.”
Beginning December 1, 2019, 16- and 17-year-old individuals who commit crimes in North Carolina are no longer charged automatically in the adult criminal justice system. If there is a notice of indictment or the court finds probable cause for a Class A-G felony committed by a 16 or 17 year old, a district court judge shall transfer the case to superior court. First-degree murder is a Class A felony.
Sheriff Blackwood also said, “I want to thank the families of Devin Clark and Lyric Woods for trusting us and the investigative process during this excruciatingly painful time. I hope the imminent apprehension of this subject will bring them some comfort as they mourn their loved ones.”
The Orange County Sheriff’s Office (OCSO) has an active task force program within the office. Through inter-agency agreements, the OCSO has relationships with many other law enforcement agencies. When needed, multiple agencies work together to investigate crime, leveraging their skills, talents, and experiences.
Said Blackwood, “I am eternally grateful for the relationships we have with local, state, and federal partners. I would like to specifically thank the Alamance County Sheriff’s Office, the Burlington Police Department, the Efland Fire Department, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and the Viper Unit with the North Carolina State Highway Patrol for their instrumental assistance.”
The investigation remains active. Anyone with additional information is asked to call Investigator Keith Goodwin at (919) 245-2918.

Interesting that they specifically thanked the Viper Unit. Viper in this context means "voice interoperability plan for emergency responders" and they construct and manage the 800 MHz statewide voice and data system.

Speculation: My best guess is that the teens were discovered on a ROW for the VIPER towers, and that possibly there was security footage in their ROW.

Going back and rereading some news articles, I found this interesting: "The search took authorities to backwoods' trails and hunting stands and they used a K-9 dog to search for her. It was determined, with the help of the dog and Woods' pillow case, that Lyric left her home and went through woods where four wheelers drove through, according to the report."

Source: Two high school students, aged 14 and and 18, are found shot dead
What I read seemed a little clearer , that the bodies were found on an ATV trail (one that is frequently used by people riding ATVs).

A 17-year-old has been charged with two counts of first degree murder after two teenagers vanished in Orange County, North Carolina.

Lyric Woods, 14, and Devin Clark, 18, were found dead on a country trail with gunshot injuries after the pair disappeared in mysterious circumstances.

Orange County Sheriff's Department has now charged 17-year-old with their murders, but have yet to identify the teen.

9/20/22 -- Posted 12:54 p.m. Today — Updated 1:32 p.m. Today

As of Tuesday afternoon, the 17-year-old teenage boy was not in custody.

[..]

As of 2019, 17-year-olds who commit crimes are no longer charged in the adult criminal justice system. Instead, law enforcement officers will file a juvenile petition. A petition is not the same thing as formal charges.

A petition is the formal pleading that initiates a juvenile court case. The sheriff's office said a member of the juvenile court filed a petition this afternoon with the North Carolina Division of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.

Family members said that there was a third person in a car with their children before they were killed. The sheriff's office has not said if that person is their main suspect or not.

So he will be charged as a juvenile but could be sentanced as an adult?
No, only the law has been revised where 1st-degree murder no longer automatically starts in adult court.

First-degree murder is a Class A felony and, in North Carolina, 16- and 17-year-olds who commit this crime are no longer automatically charged as adults. If there is probable cause or an indictment for a juvenile, a district court judge will give the case to the superior court for a ruling.

Read more at: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/crime/article266037071.html#storylink=cpy

No, only the law has been revised where 1st-degree murder no longer automatically starts in adult court.

First-degree murder is a Class A felony and, in North Carolina, 16- and 17-year-olds who commit this crime are no longer automatically charged as adults. If there is probable cause or an indictment for a juvenile, a district court judge will give the case to the superior court for a ruling.

Read more at: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/crime/article266037071.html#storylink=cpy

I wonder if records will be sealed since the suspect is a minor, or once it goes to superior court, are all bets off?

9/20/22

The suspect's name has not been released because they are not an adult. Since December, 2019, 16- and 17-year-olds who commit crimes in North Carolina are not automatically charged as adults. However, with probable cause, a judge has the ability to transfer the case into the adult justice system.

"I want to thank the families of Devin Clark and Lyric Woods for trusting us and the investigative process during this excruciatingly painful time," Blackwood said. "I hope the apprehension of this subject will bring them some comfort as they mourn their loved ones."

Woods was a freshman at Cedar Ridge High School. She played volleyball on a travel team.

[.]

Devin Clark was a senior at Eastern Alamance High School. His favorite number was four, and that's why his nickname was Deuce Two Times.

His mother said a memorial in his honor was being planned for Thursday. Plans for his funeral are also still being discussed.

Clark loved riding dirt bikes. In his honor, friends and family plan to do a dirt bike ride-a-long in Mebane around 4:30 p.m. on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member