Found Deceased NC - Hania Noelia Aguilar, 13, abducted, Lumberton, 5 Nov 2018 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They used similar language in the Jayme Closs case. So maybe this is SOP, but I wonder if they have indications the perp may be on the run or hiding out somewhere? Do they think Hania is with him/being held by him? From the earlier use of "We're coming for you" directly to the person or persons responsible I thought it indicated a local crime where the suspect(s) most likely went back to their business after they did what they wanted and disposed of Hania. Now I'm not so sure. Is there still a chance she is alive and being held? I want to hope but it feels so bleak. :(:(:(
I'm in the same boat, Gardener, and I noticed that too - that their statements echo those made in Jayme's case, Mollie's and others. The difference here though is that in this case, they spoke directly to the perpetrator. And that really scares me. :( MOO

The fact that the perp did this in broad daylight and how brazen it was lends to the belief that he probably didn't execute the rest of the crime without leaving some forensic evidence behind, specifically in the vehicle. Perp could've stalked Hania for however long and planned every step out but given the fact that the vehicle was found not too far off a road abandoned vs. burned/chopped up/etc. also leads me to believe we aren't dealing with a criminal mastermind here. This still strikes me as a sexual perversion case where perp wanted to have or possess Hania so while he may have stalked her to learn her movements, the act itself was still impulsive.

The problem is that if any hair or fiber samples are found for them to be useful they'd have to have a POI already and get DNA from close familial sources to test and match against ones collected at the crime scene or the perp would need to be already convicted of something and thus have their DNA in a criminal database. I do believe there is evidence being processed from the vehicle but depending on the size and condition of the sample, results can take up to 14 days even when fast tracked as I assume ones in this case would be.

Dear ACG2x,

Thank you for your insightful post.

I absolutely agree that any nuclear DNA found matches one individual only and if this one individual's DNA is not in CODIS, this points to no one yet.

My concern is that the DNA of this perpetrator could match DNA from a yet untested rape kit.

Once these tests are entered into the database and if there is a match, perhaps the evidence and information surrounding a particular rapist could identify and lead to this perpetrator.

Perhaps the individual who abducted Hania is not a match with any DNA not yet entered into the system. But then maybe it will turn out that he is a match to the DNA of a rapist, which has not yet been processed and entered into the system.

As the backlog of the DNA from the rape kits are processed and entered into the database, the information could make a difference in Hania's case.

I agree that there would have been an "all points bulletin" or immediate arrest if there had been a match from CODIS.

The following article speaks to the number of untested rape kits in North Carolina as of last month:

Excerpt:
"At a press conference at the State Crime Lab in Raleigh, he announced a $2 million federal grant with which the state will be able to test about 1,400 sexual assault evidence collection kits that had previously been left on the shelves of law enforcement agencies."

Attorney General announces $2M grant to begin clearing NC's 15,000 untested rape kits

I'm in the same boat, Gardener, and I noticed that too - that their statements echo those made in Jayme's case, Mollie's and others. The difference here though is that in this case, they spoke directly to the perpetrator. And that really scares me. :( MOO

It doesn’t seem as though they are willing to admit at this point that they found anything to indicate Hania is dead from the vehicle (al though they would need lab confirmation of course, Rita Gutierrez and CBI processing is a good example).

So if there is no immediate indication of her being dead from the vehicle, then why talk directly to the perp? I would think their approach would not be to enrage or engage the suspect. Thoughts?

As per my post about DNA rape test kits not yet processed, (#1023), the F.B.I. may already have identified the rape test kits from rapes which occurred in the Lumberton area, forwarding them to their lab for fast track DNA processing.

They may turn out to not be a match or they could. Any information or evidence surrounding one of these rapes could lead them to a suspect. It is possible, if there is a match.

Sorry if already mentioned and I missed it, do we know when the family moved to that Trailer Park and if they lived anywhere else before that? How new are they to the US? (This is not to discuss immigration or immigration status, just trying to get a feel for how long they’ve been in that area, etc.)

Last edited:
Up until a couple of days ago I was under the impression that the kidnapper had stolen a car from somewhere else at an earlier time, ridden around, then kidnapped Hania. There was never a report from local news or any outlet that said she was shoved into her uncle's car and kidnapped that way. I learned it from Websleuths! Local reports have still not described the actual kidnapping correctly and I don't live terribly far away. Crazy!
Because of the incorrect reporting I was really confused by the release of the video of the guy walking around. Now it makes sense. So I have gone from thinking this was done by some sexual predator type to thinking it might be a crime of opportunity. The guy is walking around about that time, sees Hania come out to start the car, shoves her in the car and drives off. Doesn't make it any less of a horrendous crime but changes, in my opinion, who they're looking for. Instead of a known sexual predator type from anywhere really, seems like the kidnapper has to be local. Very local as evidenced by him walking around the area, not driving, but walking. Somebody in that area knows him. They suspect that's him in the video. Hopefully they will have the courage to call in.

In other cases, sometimes it’s turns out that the abductor is a well respected member of society with no criminal record (example: Hailey Owens abductor, Craig Wood, football coach).

I highly doubt this will turn out to be the case, here, moo, as far as trying to potentially profile what type of offender we are dealing with.

Fort Bragg Military base, Fayetteville is only 35 miles away

Yes, you're right 35 miles is close.
Bragg is the largest military installation in the world with around 50,000 active duty personnel.
Two Marine bases are farther east of L'ton, in coastal areas -- Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune in Jacksonville, NC, is 100 miles from L'ton; and the Marine Corps Air Station in Havelock, NC, about 160 miles away.

Army soldiers and Marines may well have been in L'ton after hurricane Florence. There was a lot of flooding and damage due to Florence -- the land being so flat in that area, it's no wonder that's why things around the trailer park looked neglected. Maybe Hania saw some Marines and decided she wanted to be like they were.

Another thing to note for the record:

There are several others missing out of the area. Yes, some of them may have had ties to drugs, prostitution, etc, and the county has its share of many criminals and crimes obviously. We have however seen plenty of predators who have preyed on prostitutes and non prostitutes alike, especially if they are an opportunistic predator.

Not saying there is a connection but I do think think we need to take a harder look at other cases in the area, fwiw. Maybe there’s something out there we are missing, perhaps other attempted abductions.

—-

ETA:
I’m afraid people are not going to come forward out of fear.

Up until a couple of days ago I was under the impression that the kidnapper had stolen a car from somewhere else at an earlier time, ridden around, then kidnapped Hania. There was never a report from local news or any outlet that said she was shoved into her uncle's car and kidnapped that way. I learned it from Websleuths! Local reports have still not described the actual kidnapping correctly and I don't live terribly far away. Crazy!
Because of the incorrect reporting I was really confused by the release of the video of the guy walking around. Now it makes sense. So I have gone from thinking this was done by some sexual predator type to thinking it might be a crime of opportunity. The guy is walking around about that time, sees Hania come out to start the car, shoves her in the car and drives off. Doesn't make it any less of a horrendous crime but changes, in my opinion, who they're looking for. Instead of a known sexual predator type from anywhere really, seems like the kidnapper has to be local. Very local as evidenced by him walking around the area, not driving, but walking. Somebody in that area knows him. They suspect that's him in the video. Hopefully they will have the courage to call in.
All the MSM reports I read/heard from day 1 were accurate. Why do you say there was incorrect reporting? Everything stated Hania went out to start the car and the man shoved her in the car and drove off with her. I never saw anything that remotely indicated the car was stolen prior to the abduction, only during the abduction.

Sorry if already mentioned and I missed it, do we know when the family moved to that Trailer Park and if they lived anywhere else before that? How new are they to the US? (This is not to discuss immigration or immigration status, just trying to get a feel for how long they’ve been in that area, etc.)

Issue date with the current address was 2016
web1_aguilar_ne20181158551853.jpg

The fact that the perp did this in broad daylight and how brazen it was lends to the belief that he probably didn't execute the rest of the crime without leaving some forensic evidence behind, specifically in the vehicle. Perp could've stalked Hania for however long and planned every step out but given the fact that the vehicle was found not too far off a road abandoned vs. burned/chopped up/etc. also leads me to believe we aren't dealing with a criminal mastermind here. This still strikes me as a sexual perversion case where perp wanted to have or possess Hania so while he may have stalked her to learn her movements, the act itself was still impulsive.

The problem is that if any hair or fiber samples are found for them to be useful they'd have to have a POI already and get DNA from close familial sources to test and match against ones collected at the crime scene or the perp would need to be already convicted of something and thus have their DNA in a criminal database. I do believe there is evidence being processed from the vehicle but depending on the size and condition of the sample, results can take up to 14 days even when fast tracked as I assume ones in this case would be.
I concur, well thought out points.. Here is where I deviate after listening to everything for the past week. The perputrator I feel was there for Hania, If he wanted the vehicle, since he was cloaked, he could have threatened her to back away and take the vehicle. He didn't. He took her. Next, the disposal of the vehicle that close yet but remote gives me the sense he either met up to a parked vehicle (depending on the findings of the dog scent) or a hidden location. When LE says they are not 100% sure of who it is, it make me think they know who would want to do this (group) not specific though. The constant plea of asking for "behavior" changes mean this could be a local goon doing the bidding of a group but has possible ties to the community.

Lastly, I feel she is alive, injured but alive. I think what has hung me up on the POI cellphone was "is this coordinated?" but im thinking this is more "carried out" if that makes sense. Sloppy, yet strategic. Planned, but improvised based on what they (he) was handed that morning. I feel they (LE) are moving in, but is far more complicated than LE is leading on. I think their main focus is on keeping the flow of info from the public going these first two weeks. Not derailing the investigation by giving to much side information or talking point that would derail chatrooms or the media coverage.

Last edited:
All the MSM reports I read/heard from day 1 were accurate. Why do you say there was incorrect reporting? Everything stated Hania went out to start the car and the man shoved her in the car and drove off with her. I never saw anything that remotely indicated the car was stolen prior to the abduction, only during the abduction.
Early reports as it was happening said it was a stolen vehicle out of South Carolina. They came back and quickly corrected that it was registered Hernandez Velasquez from South Carolina but was in fact the local family vehicle. Hernandez Velasquez is the partial name of her "real Aunt"

Evidence taken by FBI to Quantico could be more than DNA. I am hoping they have digital evidence. If there was any evidence from electronics in the van at the time of abduction than lets hope it shows where that van went and when. Can the FBI track down where a burner was purchased?

It doesn’t seem as though they are willing to admit at this point that they found anything to indicate Hania is dead from the vehicle (al though they would need lab confirmation of course, Rita Gutierrez and CBI processing is a good example).

So if there is no immediate indication of her being dead from the vehicle, then why talk directly to the perp? I would think their approach would not be to enrage or engage the suspect. Thoughts?
BBM
idk. Sometimes the answer is to meet the situation with threats or confrontation. Maybe they think they're speaking to a certain type of personality that they can scare into letting her go?

idk. Sometimes the answer is to meet the situation with threats or confrontation. Maybe they think they're speaking to a certain type of personality that they can scare into letting her go?
Or is reasonable to a degree.. who knows at this point.. unfortunately they have alot of practice in these situation.

A possibility but this seems very risky. I would anticipate an approach by LE to be more to try to reason with the predator IF they were even going to address him because possibly enraging him is huge liability and risk for Hania (and them).

This to me speaks a possible message of “ we know what you did and there’s no going back.” Again, just some thoughts. I think they know this is someone who will not back down to LE and someone who absolutely can not be reasoned with.

ETA:

I dont think LE would ever put themselves in a situation or take the risk where someone could say “you engaged and enraged and scared the perp, and now he killed her as a result.” I don’t think they would want to take that risk themselves, moo.

The more I think about this, the more telling I think it is. Like I said I haven’t seen that since Jessica, that I recall.

Last edited:
As someone who lives in the area, it is most definitely high crime. A lot of drug activity. However, with that said, abductions are not something that happen. So we can sit there and say the area isn’t “desirable”, it’s not like this is a normal occurrence.

Yes fort Bragg is nearby. I don’t know if I would say that has any connection to it. Lumberton was SEVERELY under water with this last hurricane. There were a lot of people in and out of that town.

There have been three women (I believe) that we’re missing and found dead. They all have a history of drug abuse. I wouldn’t connect these two at all.
Good post.
I don't think the cases are connected, either. I have seen reports of the crime rate in L'ton, and has risen a good bit since I left for college. I was born & raised in L'ton, and I remember bad flooding in low areas, especially those areas near the Lumber River which flows through much of the county. When the river is over its banks everywhere, the water goes to the lowest places.
Most of the people who live in these areas have nowhere else to go; neither have they the funds to have extensive repairs rebuilt. So they do the best they can.
Sometimes others do not do the best they can...
Many other places in this country have these same problems, and it makes life hard for parents and for kids growing up.

One more thing,​

Welcome to Websleuths, Kristineellen !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members