GUILTY NC - Jason Corbett, 39, murdered in his Wallburg home, 2 Aug 2015 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely she would be aware how easily the prescription would be tied back to her?

Someone in a manic bipolar state may feel themselves infalliable. Maginn wrote about it.

Page 4""Mary had been maniac on the drive down from Knoxville, Tenn, the phase of her illness where she felt indescribable euphoria. I dreaded this stage becausecof the devastating low that inevitably followed."

She had had sporadic maniac periods for years, often staying awake for days.snip. It was a fantasy like high; as if she were on hallucinogenic drugs."

[video=twitter;889952539231363072]https://twitter.com/LexDispatchBC/status/889952539231363072[/video]

Surely she would be aware how easily the prescription would be tied back to her?

Yes I agree. I doubt this is a surprise to the defence as they would have also sought Molly's medical records a long time ago to see if anything in them would aid her case.

Well its convenient for defence, testimony from primary care that Jason gets angry for no reason

Then he apologises to tm mid assault because he "shouldn't be doing this"

Paints a diluted picture of a man who can't explain why he's angry but acts upon it spontaneously which feeds into spontaeous DV cause and spontaneous self defence. Nothing more imo.

Doesn't explain the history she's claiming though

Jmo

Sent from my SM-T561 using Tapatalk

Yes, but to then apologise 'mid assault ' and to continue with the (alleged) assault, doesn't sound like something spontaneous and uncontrolled. If JC did actually respond as the defence claim, would an experienced ex FBI officer be quite likely to 'talk him down' ?

A fight in which a father witnessed his son-in-law apparently attempting to strangle his daughter led to a scene of bloody, extreme violence resulting in the death of Jason Corbett, the son-in-law, the opening day of evidence in the trial of*Molly Martens Corbett*and her father*Thomas Martens*heard on Tuesday.

Addressing the jury at the Davidson County courthouse in Lexington, North Carolina, David Freedman, lawyer for Thomas Martens, outlined what his client says happened in his daughter and son-in-law’s home early on August 2nd, 2015.

Mr Martens woke that day and suggested to his wife, Sharon, they take a drive to see their daughter and her family in Wallburg, said Mr Freedman.

They went and Mr Martens brought with him a 17-ounce, aluminium baseball bat to give to Mr Corbett’s son, Jack, as a present. He indicated Mr Martens’s son had played college baseball.

Mr Freedman said Ms Martens drove her husband to pick Jack up at a birthday party, and by the time they arrived home, he decided it was too late to give him the bat. Sharon and Tom Martens went to bed in the basement of the Corbett home. At 3am, Mr Freedman said, Mr Martens heard someone scream and ran upstairs, knowing his daughter and grandchildren were at the top of the stairs.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/cri...pattered-room-in-which-husband-died-1.3166818

So sharon was there. At least at one time during the course of the evening

Mr Martin said the victim was hit in the head with the paving stone in 10 places, with two parts of his skull damaged more than once.

Same link

Yes, but to then apologise 'mid assault ' and to continue with the (alleged) assault, doesn't sound like something spontaneous and uncontrolled. If JC did actually respond as the defence claim, would an experienced ex FBI officer be quite likely to 'talk him down' ?
Perigrino I totally agree. Imo nothing but weak a rguements so far from defence

Freedman is trying to portray Jason like a superhuman Incredible Hulk. I don't care how tall you are or how much you weigh, your skull and brain are no different in size from TM. How many times must you pummel a skull with a bat to daze and stun a person? At the force described ...not many. And some of the beatdown was. while Jason was on the ground and at least one smash head after he was dead.

This is a human skull and brain...not the Incredible Hulk cartoon figure.

Remember the defense has no duty to the truth, there duty is to their client. After hearing these snippets from TM's attorney today, I wonder if they didn't do a little polling in the area. Many a lot of locals knew and were very fond of Jason. Maybe they have decided to go the "shocked at my golfing buddy" route...and "he even apologized to me." because theur polling showed that the Raging Hulk That Murdered His First Wife scenario...wasnt going to work well in that community.

Not the case in Ireland, Irish Bar has strict rule.

Lawyer cannot deliberately lie for client what he knows to be untrue.
Lawyer not to let their personal views on guilt or otherwise of their client.

Where client has confessed to lawyer of guilt lawyer continue to represent client but not declare the innocence of client or cross examine on that line.

Lawyer is not to judge the client but to serve as an advocate in the client's interests, subject to not misleading the Court. If lawyer doesn’t believe client must continue regardless.

Shall seek trial judge permission to withdraw from trial where client has deliberately lied to them, without informing trial judge of the reason. Trial judge can approve or not but lawyer covers themselves from fear of infringing bar rules.

Mr Martin said the victim was hit in the head with the paving stone in 10 places, with two parts of his skull damaged more than once.

Same link

was that Mollys weapon?

Mr Corbett's blood was found all over the bedroom floor and walls as well as in the hallway and bathroom.

Mmmmmm......

Same link as above

I actually find the defences opening statements completely bizarre. On the one hand it is being claimed Jason was an abusive man and witnesses will testify to this . On the other hand
David Freedman, for Mr Martens, said the father of four and retired FBI agent heard noises coming from an upstairs bedroom of his daughter's home early that morning.On going to investigate, he will claim he was shocked to Mr Corbett holding his daughter by the throat.
"Jason's hand was around Molly's throat - his little girl had her husband's hand around her throat."
Mr Freedman said that Mr Martens instructed Mr Corbett to release Ms Martens-Corbett.
"(But Mr Corbett said:) I'm sorry - I shouldn't be doing this," he said.
However, he said that Mr Corbett then put his entire arm around his wife's throat.
"I am going to kill her - I am going to kill her," Mr Freedman said the Irishman replied.
Freedman then described the events that led up to the incident. Freedman said Martens heard a noise upstairs, and grabbed the bat while in a polo shirt and underwear, not knowing what he’d find.“Martens opens the door, and the last thing he thought he’d ever see — Jason’s hands around his daughter’s throat,” Freedman said.
Freedman said Martens pleaded with Jason Corbett to let Molly Corbett go.
The defense attorney added that Martens then had little choice.
“If he doesn’t stop Jason, then (Jason) is going to take he and Molly out. So he starts whacking,” Freedman said.
reedman said Martens visited Molly Corbett and Jason Corbett with the intention of spending time with his family.“All he was thinking about doing tomorrow is playing golf with Jason and seeing his grandchildren, and he’s been a dedicated family man all his life,” Freedman said.
http://www.independent.ie/world-new...sed-the-death-of-his-first-wife-35803451.html
Now, the former FBI agent is claiming in a motion filed to the court ahead of the trial that he was "approached by Michael Fitzpatrick (since deceased), the father of Jason Corbett's late first wife Margaret Corbett" at his daughter and Jason's wedding in 2011.It reads; "On that occasion, Mr Fitzpatrick told Mr Martens that he believed that Jason Corbett had caused the death of his daughter Margaret."

The motion reads; "Specifically, during the alleged altercation that resulted in the death of Jason Corbett, Mr Martens witnessed Jason Corbett, a man far larger and more physically powerful than he or his daughter, choking his daughter and threatening to kill her, and thereafter acted in defense of his daughter and, eventually, in his own defense [sic]."
It adds that Mr Martens was allegedly aware of Jason Corbett's size during the assault, and that "Mr Fitzpatrick had represented to him that Mr Fitzpatrick believed his duaghter's death to have come at the hands of Jason Corbett.""[The allegation] is being offered... to show the reasonableness of Mr Martens' apprehension of death or serious bodily to he and his daughter - and thus is competent evidence with respect to Mr Martens' state of mind."

I'm not seeing the picture they are trying to portray . The prosecutions case is very clear to me
http://www.independent.ie/irish-new...t-say-how-many-times-he-was-hit-35967366.html
Victim had traces of powerful sleep drug prescribed to wife in his system
A North Carolina District Attorney revealed during the opening of the Jason Corbett (39) murder trial that the Limerick father-of-two was struck at least 10 times over the head with the damage to his skull so severe that a post mortem couldn't even determine precisely how many times he was hit with the two implements
Mr Corbett did not suffer from the sleep issues for which the drug was prescribed.His wife received a prescription for Trazodone on July 30, just three days before Mr Corbett's death.
The District Attorney also said that while Mr Corbett was discovered in the bedroom naked and blood-spattered with a crushed skull there wasn't a mark on either his wife or his father-in-law when police and paramedics arrived."Thomas Martens - (had) no injuries, no bruises, no swelling, no cuts and no blood appeared to come from him," he said.
"Molly Martens Corbett - (had) no bruises, no swelling, no cuts and no blood appeared to come from her."At least one blow was sustained when Mr Corbett was already dead.
Multiple blows had been sustained to two specific areas of the back of his head.
"His skull was badly crushed," he said.
When the paramedic attempted to help Mr Corbett - who was lying naked and blood covered on his bedroom floor - he attempted to move his head and found the back of his skull to be "squishy", the District Attorney said.
"There was nothing that could be done," Mr Martin said.
"Jason Corbett left that room on a board and his head was badly crushed."During the post mortem examination, a pathologist moved his scalp and "pieces of his skull fell out onto the table."Pieces of his shattered skull had also been driven into his brain.
"It was not two, it was not four, it was not six and it was not eight. It was at least 10 times (he was struck)."
The only mark on Ms Martens-Corbett at the scene was a little redness on her neck akin to "a sunburn".
Mr Martin said that, at the scene, Ms Martens-Corbett was also asked repeatedly to stop rubbing her neck.
"That was how they walked out of that room - but Jason Corbett left it on a board."
Both Mr Martens and Ms Martens-Corbett also refused emergency medical treatment at the scene.
Mr Corbett's blood was found all over the bedroom floor and walls as well as in the hallway and bathroom.
Mr Martin told the jury that expert medical, forensic, pathology and pharmacology evidence will be introduced at the trial.
Blood spatters indicate that Mr Corbett was subjected to a sustained series of blows - with blood spray patterns indicating that he was, at one point, near the ground when his head was struck.
. “What he saw was the naked, dead, bloody body of Jason Corbett and blood just about everywhere.”
"The State will (try to address) why? Why didn't they stop," Mr Martin said?

was that Mollys weapon?

I think they were both Mollys weapons. Which of the two have the forearm strength of a swimmer to wield that bat with such force?

Not Gladiator Tom. Jason could have disarmed that frail old FBI desk jockey in a second...and choked Molly till breakfast time. If he'd been awake....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member