Found Deceased NC - Joseph, 45, & Cristie Codd, 38, Leicester, 12 March 2015 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Looks like Hooker's Gap has a tool thief on their hands, hmmm?
So if his name is connected to these reports per the warrant he had to be involved because his name is not listed on them.

I just can't believe how cruel and senseless. What could possibly be the motive?

I think he killed JT first to get him out of the way.

I wouldn't be surprised if the motive was to rape Cristie and burglary was an afterthought.:(

Then afterwards he would murder her too in order to leave no living witnesses behind.

This is such a heartbreaking case.

According to this the remains were in the house that burned. I wonder if there are other victims in that house

The warrant does say human remains were discovered at 8 Owens cove road. If correct, this leads me to believe the house was torched to destroy evidence. Since JO was in jail at the time it could be logically assumed we have another suspect obstructing an investigation. I await another arrest.

http://www.wlos.com//images/warrants.pdf

If it comes out that he held Cristie and did any unthinkable act towards her, I will completely and utterly give up on humanity.
This case has shattered my core.

I think he killed JT first to get him out of the way.

I wouldn't be surprised if the motive was to rape Cristie and burglary was an afterthought.:(

Then afterwards he would murder her too in order to leave no living witnesses behind.

This is such a heartbreaking case.

I agree with this theory of motive.

One other opinion regarding the thinking that the motive was related to avoiding foreclosure for back taxes (and admitting what a ditz I can be sometimes), but I don't think that had anything to do with it.

My grandparents had a plot of land and 'cabin' very close to this area that we spent summers and most holidays at while I was growing up. I bought it from my grandfather while in college b/c I couldn't stand the thought of him selling all of our memories. Fast forward 20 plus years and, now living in the Northeast, I rarely go to it. My dad still lives about 20 miles west, so when I visit I go there.

Long story, but the point is I can remember at least 4-5 times over the last 20 years when I either forgot, or was running low on $$, and payed those same property taxes late. The county is very lenient IMO. In fact, I was certain I had paid this year's (like JO's, right at $400) in November, though they weren't due until Jan 1. I got a call from my dad just last week asking why my name was in the paper as being delinquent on my taxes!
Sure enough I scoured my bank statements, and I guess I had a brain fart, b/c I did not pay them!

I had not even gotten so much as a late notice yet, let alone any more serious threats. Same in years past. I sent the check in and just yesterday got a nice little note saying I still owed $12 for the interest for being late.

At any rate, I think this guy is very very sick. I don't think he was panicked for money to keep his property.

following,
This case is just atrocious, I' glad they are calling murder with an unborn child. So sad!!

I fully agree with the premise that he killed the husband off first so he could spend some time alone with Cristie.

There really doesn't appear to be much of a motive other than that. I think the act of telling his wife that he ran over JT was to explain away his actions by making it appear that it was a tragic accident and he panicked afterwards. He wanted his version of the story to be the only version of the story. He didn't want her to know the true facts of why he did this. Burning her body was a good way to insure that his version of the story would stick. No evidence left to dispute it.

He was infatuated with Cristie, had probably worked this whole plan out in his head, and then acted on it. Right now, it doesn't appear obvious how long it was from the time he ran over JT until he killed Cristie. That answer may never really be known for sure.

In hindsight, I'm wondering if possibly the vacant house that just burned was where he was holding her, abusing her, or storing her..........maybe all of the above. If that is the case, then after he was jailed he convinced somebody to go over there and torch it for him. There may have been two people involved in this all along. I don't see how he could have convinced somebody to burn the place down if they weren't somehow involved or had knowledge of what happened there, so why take the risk ?

I agree, arrest #2 coming up......

Anything is possible I know but in my heart not only do I hope but I also think this had nothing to do with Cristie. I honestly will be shocked if in fact any sexual crime happened. I believe a storm had been brewing between Owens Cove and Hooker Gap with many elements coming together until the final tornado wiped it out.
Element 1. Entitlement
Being local and knowing this area as someone else up thread mentioned-is a huge piece to this puzzle. I believe the person up thread had moved to the asheville area from somewhere else a-transplant as they are called :-) and those who have only heard of asheville or perhaps visited probably have this vision of Asheville being this hip, accepting, culturally unique Mecca of the south. And it is all those things. But on the outskirts of Asheville in places like Leicester, Candler, Marshall, etc you have a different dynamic of folk. Remember learning about the white man coming to the new country and basically destroying the Native American life as they knew it? (I am simplifying that incredibly I know) some born and raised folk especially in those areas I mentioned (and others not mentioned) they see transplants as threatening their way of life. Most people who move to asheville feel like they are improving Asheville culture, but good ole boy families do not see it that way at all. And guess what? You can no longer afford to buy and live in Asheville so guess where those alternative thinking, earth loving, do gooders (I use that term as I cannot think of another way to express what good ole boys think)are moving to? Affordable and picturesque outskirt regions like Leicester where the majority of residents have always been families born and raised there. I don't know statistics and I could be wrong but I doubt a lot of people born in Leicester stray too far from home. From the beginning of this learning they lived in Leicester, I asked why on earth did this Hollywood couple choose of all places Leicester?and I know the answer to that is the affordability of the 27 acres and a house that sits in a picturesque location. But honestly a lot of people don't want them moving in and trying to change their environment. By all accounts the Codds wanted to make a difference, show the area a different way of living and they had the money to do so. Which brings me to the next element.
element 2-greed/jealousy.
The Codds had money, land and shiny things. They had the means to improve the home they bought and were actively doing so. While they saw it as helping a neighbor out by employing JO, over time he probably did not see it that way. This was a couple who worked for a few months and then could have a few months where they were not working. For someone who has had to work their tail off to make ends meet and usually barely-so working for a couple who seems to be getting paid (and probably a lot in JOs eyes) to have fun and barely work (again I don't think this way, they had challenging jobs) and be able to jetset around the world all while moving forward on improvements to their home probably overtime was increasingly becoming a sore spot for JO who was about to have the land his family probably has owned for generations foreclosed on.
I'm sure there is a lot more elements to this story, but right now those are the 2 elements I am focused on. I just typed this on my phone so I can only see 5 lines at a time so this may not make any sense and if you actually read it all thank you ;-)

And anyone not from WNC/Asheville please don't take from what I wrote or JOs actions think the worst of this area. Not all good ole boys are rotten apples.Most if they allow you to get to know them will show you the inner goodness of these mountains.

Jenves, I read it all. I lived in a growing mountain community and remember disliking the new wave of flatlanders, much like the scenario painted above. I can see this being a motive to become the foundation for hate. I can also see the sexual element as a motive. Perhaps he hated the progressive newcomers, and had an unhealthy obsession with Cristie, and decided to act on both.

This case is absolutely ghastly. While catching up on it, I realized this happened during the period of time I was visiting a friend in North Carolina, not too far from the Codd's. They were a beautiful couple looking forward to the birth of their child. My daughter is currently expecting her first child, and I just don't want to imagine the profound heartbreak affecting their family members . To go from a joyous state of mind anticipating the arrival of a new and already loved family member to learning that all three were viciously murdered has to be incredibly hard to bear. I hope justice will bring a bit of comfort, but I sincerely doubt it. God bless them.

I thought someone earlier in the thread mentioned hearing around town that this was motivated by money? I believe they said JO knocked on the Codd's door demanding more money for his work and they said no.

EmmaRose, I couldn't agree with you more! How will the family, friends and community ever get over this?

I don't have knowledge of a relationship between the two, but in first news reports they did list JO's address, and the street name included the word 'Owens.' In this area (and it may not be true in this case) it's not unusual for many relatives (but not necessarily parents/siblings) to have homes that are clustered in an area. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some type of family relationship.

Otherwise, Owens is one of the most common names in western NC.
In my area in SC lots of addresses were created when 911 systems were put in place. Its not unusual to see surnames as road\avenue\lane etc if many on that loop share the same name. With each road having to have a specific name it makes sense.

What a senseless tragedy.

While I still think JO probably had an unhealthy obsession with Christie, I do think that it could have combined with a perceived slight to push him over the edge. As I mentioned earlier, my grandparents had a place nearby that we stayed at throughout my childhood and I still visit family nearby several times a year.

I remember from the time I was 5 years old, my grandpa drilling into me the importance of respecting the local families that surrounded us at ALL times and to never do anything that may tick anyone off. ( and we only came from 4 hours away!) Because the innate suspicion and resentment of outsiders made it really easy to have a small incident turn really big really fast. That's what I thought of when I read about JO's story of running JT over.

I've witnessed it myself when other transplants or 2nd home owners near us did not understand the dynamic and weren't as smart as my grandpa. Sometimes crazy stuff. Blocking roads or driveways with giant spray painted signs saying " GO AWAY". Belongings strangely going missing or being destroyed. Water or electric lines being cut. Dynamite being set off in the middle of the night near the front door.

I truly believe the only reason I am "ok" with the landowners around my place there is due to my grandfather's relationship with them all those years and that they remember me as a little girl with pigtails asking for rides on their tractors. If I had to start from now, I doubt they would trust me.

I think of how "perfect", yet very truly foreign, the Codd's probably seemed and wonder if they ever felt any uneasiness before this horrific event.

Like south fishy commented above, I don't doubt that something sexual / infatuation-motivated happened in regard to Cristie in this case. And myself being a southern native (having grown up in South Carolina only 3 hours away before relocating to Asheville 5 yrs ago), I can vouch firsthand for the innate dislike of anyone perceived to be not just an outsider, but different in any way (for example: despite my native southern roots, while growing up in my own hometown in South Carolina and even as an adult I was a bit of a square peg so to speak, and OFTEN asked "where ya from?" etc, etc).

Considering Owens may be a serial killer w/ other unknown victims... If I had to connect a thread - as far as possible motive or preference of victim type - between Zebb Quinn (described as shy but very nice, slight learning disability, possibly on the spectrum?, from a higher socioeconomic class) and the Codds (very nice, progressive, bringing about change, from a higher socioeconomic class), I'd say Owens has a stereotypical southern dislike of the "different" or the "you think you're better than me?," as so often [stereotypical] southerners can be inclined to be insulted by implication when confronted with something that is a departure from their own way of being / or what they are familiar with.

*Edited to add: one of Cristie's aunts on Facebook (initials PSS) has a post wherein she describes Cristie and JT as being "a bright light in a very dark place" in regard to their being in Leicester NC... I am not sure if this is her own impression or if it was a sentiment relayed by Cristie and JT to their family, but I think it is worth mentioning in regard to the longstanding area residents' overall dislike of people moving into this area and 'fixing it' or 'making it better.'

It also looks like there has been some friend housecleaning on Facebook. Hmmm

I’m a new member here but have been following this thread (and the one about Zebb Quinn) for a few days now… I live in Asheville NC, one of many transplants to this area. I’ve been doing some digging of my own, much of which is in line w/ what has already been posted here. Here is some additional info not already in this thread at the time of my request to join the forum:

Re: the fire early A.M. at 8 Owens Cove Rd on 3/20/15:

At this news link http://www.wspa.com/story/28569653/leicester-house-fire-on-same-road-as-murder-suspects-home a neighbor is quoted as saying: “7 On Your Side spoke to neighbor who told us that Owens grew up at this home and property tax records show that he owns the house. Neighbors say he lived in another house on the property and no one was living in the house that burned.” The 8 Owens Cove property is right across the street from 1 Owens Cove, the residence of the alleged. Another news report states it is the home of his mother, which would make sense seeing as how he grew up in the house, yet property records do list JO as the current owner.

If it was arson, I think it makes more sense that an accomplice or un-implicated but worried relative torched the house than the theory that it was someone directing anger at Jason Owens by thinking they were burning down his house. After all, doesn’t an accomplice or relative have more incentive to destroy possible evidence than a person angry about the Codd’s deaths? Someone angry about the Codd’s deaths would definitely want any evidence to be found and investigated, right? So it would be incredibly stupid for such a person to destroy possible evidence.

82.7189023!2d35.6005578!3e0[/URL]

Social media developments:

I see from Facebook that Cristie Schoen has been deleted from the friends list of Jason Owens… This means someone NOT in jail has current access to Jason Owens’s Facebook (possibly his wife?) and I surmise someone not in jail set fire to that 8 Owens Cove home (investigation is in progress to determine if it was an arson). Could this offer some explanation toward a possible accomplice, not only in this Cristie and JT Codd case, but also the Zebb Quinn case (as someone had to have sent the page from Zebb Quinn’s aunt’s house while she was away at dinner)? If it WAS an arson, and it occurred while Jason Owens is in jail, could this be what keep LE from successfully prosecuting JO? After all, JO could not be charged w/ the murder of Zebb Quinn b/c of the page that was sent from a location he could not have possibly been at based on video confirmation of his presence at a gas station w/ Zebb Quinn within that timeframe. LE has long suspected JO had an accomplice.

Also, one of the Owens relatives (a nephew or second cousin referred to in earlier posts here as “EO”) has deactivated his Facebook account. He had previously referred to his uncle/cousin in one of his posts as “a monster”… I would hate to be him if JO is ultimately released from jail.

Purely unsubstantiated scuttlebutt / gossip info:

I’ve gathered from many of the comments on the WLOS Facebook postings https://www.facebook.com/News13 that the Owens brothers (Robert Jason Owens has a brother whose name begins with an “S”) were considered by those who grew up w/ them to be “psychos” yet “very clever” and that the brother was regularly bullied and beaten up in school, and that it would ‘not be surprising to think that he hates people just as much as his brother’ Jason Owens. Incidentally, the brother’s name is also listed as an owner of the 8 Owens Cove property that burned this A.M., as shared by one of the Facebook commenters: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10206382526591252&set=p.10206382526591252&type=1&theater

There are other mentions in social media of possible other victims, but I am not sure if it is appropriate to post a list of those speculations here.

I'm with you!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AtroRed
Back