NC - Kathy Taft, 62, Raleigh, 6 March 2010 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the illustration/explanation, crocus; I also have a latch like that on my screen door.

I'm thinking that in this case, LE wants to determine whether there was forced entry through that door made by someone who dismantled or otherwise damaged the latch. Just a thought, of course, and MOO.

This kind of latch is also used on many other things. Cupboards, cabinets, wood storage box, window screens on the inside of house (I had them on mine before we got new windows) interior doors.

LOL....wish they would have specified about the eye bolt latch on that warrant!

I can't find the 911 tapes either.

I did just talk with someone this morning who has friends who live in Greenville and are casual friends of KT and her family. They have strong feelings about who is responsible. I'm not sure about the rules so I am hesitiant to post what they say. Is is okay to post their opinion? Please send me a PM. Thanks.

Wow if you haven't listened to the 911 calls do so immediately...

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=7376900

*located about half way down the page*

Something is hinky about the sister's 911 call. She mentions something about either breathing or blood when she checked on her at 3AM but it's hard to make out. She doesn't appear to be really upset until the paramedics arrive.

From the 911 call placed later from WakeMed...the nurse says something about the sister possibly seeing the rapist and something seems sketchy.

3 things that struck me as odd when listening to the 911 tape made by D:
1) When she was talking to the 911 dispatcher, she said there was a black Durango parked in front of the house. I thought the car was in the HT parking lot?
2) She told the 911 dispatcher that she heard KT snoring very loudly the night before when she went in and checked on her, and that she was snoring the same way right then in the call. She said she finally went upstairs around 3am. If she went upstairs around 3am, did the "killer" enter the house after 3? But KT was snoring that same loud snore before and after the attack?
3) She told the dispatcher that she had to go unlock the door. The dispatcher specifically asked her again if the door was unlocked and she said no, and went to unlock the door for EMS. That has always been in question. No break in, no forced entry. How did the killer get inside? And then how did the door get locked that am? If the killer found a hideaway key, did they lock the door behind them after they left when they were done with the attack? That seems very odd....

This tape is very upsetting to me. It's quite a lot to process.

http://dig.abclocal.go.com/wtvd/docs/Cartier_911_Call_040910.wav

Actual link to 911 call

"She is in the bed. I cannot get her up," Holton tells the 911 operator. "There's blood everywhere, everywhere."

"Taft's eyelids were blue, she was foaming at the mouth and felt clammy," Holton told the dispatcher.

"I'm calling in relation to a patient that we just got about an hour and a half ago, and now it's turned into an investigation of a rape," said the unidentified WakeMed staff member who made the 911 call.

From the 911 call made from WakeMed:

Person calling 911: "We found out through the family that they thought the person was raped and because her physical findings that we’re finding now the stories are kind of matching up."

911 Operator: "Do you have a suspect description?"

Person calling 911: "It’s very sketchy because the family thinks they might have seen someone but they really don’t know."

WOW> i am totally lost after having had to work 12 hour shifts the past two days. i am going to read backwards to find out what is going on........I did have some thoughts about how we do this thing that we do....of course, when we start thinking and theorizing about a case, it is surely painful to the family and to the friends. I like to call it the "HOW COULD YOU" factor. How could we think that someone close to the victim or the family could commit this horrible crime? Well, painful as it may be, it is how the crime gets solved. You start in the center of the circle closest to the victim and move outward, solving, eliminating, critically looking at each tiny piece. It is hurtful, and yes, it is cruel, but it is how justice is eventually arrived at. So I think we need to put our feelings of sympathy aside, until after the crime is solved. The beauty of the forum is that since most of us are far removed from the victim and the family, we CAN be objective. We can turn over everything we think of, and spread it out for each other to look at and separate what the facts are from what the rumors are and what our OWN thoughts are. Just think of how the detectives and investigators must feel. They are the ones who also need our prayers. They become affected not only by the victim, and the loss that they see in front of them, but also in the midst of having feelings for the family and the loved ones, they have the task of being objective enough to bring in the murderer.

3 things that struck me as odd when listening to the 911 tape made by D:
1) When she was talking to the 911 dispatcher, she said there was a black Durango parked in front of the house. I thought the car was in the HT parking lot?
2) She told the 911 dispatcher that she heard KT snoring very loudly the night before when she went in and checked on her, and that she was snoring the same way right then in the call. She said she finally went upstairs around 3am. If she went upstairs around 3am, did the "killer" enter the house after 3? But KT was snoring that same loud snore before and after the attack?
3) She told the dispatcher that she had to go unlock the door. The dispatcher specifically asked her again if the door was unlocked and she said no, and went to unlock the door for EMS. That has always been in question. No break in, no forced entry. How did the killer get inside? And then how did the door get locked that am? If the killer found a hideaway key, did they lock the door behind them after they left when they were done with the attack? That seems very odd....

Many good points.

In the 911 tape from Wake Med, who is the family that hospital staff says confirmed this was a rape?

Would any other family member have been there within 1 and one-half hours, except for D? And she did say that they might have a description. Who and how if no one else was in the house?

This is all very confusing. Did you catch that the Wake Med rep told 911 that it was sketchy? I wonder what she really meant by that.

The WakeMed 911 call states that the family member may have seen someone but doesn't know for sure. Yet, in the first 911 call, D makes absolutely NO mention at all of seeing anyone in the home, of her sister potientially being attacked or anything of the sort. The first call is somewhat bizarre in that she doesn't start to get upset until EMS arrives. That maybe explained by the fact that she is in shock and trying to hold it together until help arrives. But, if there are some signs or clues that something strange happened to her sister, she made no mention of them in the 911 call she made. If she mentioned something when she got to the hospital about seeing someone in the house, like the rapist, that would be very bizarre. The part that is most puzzling and disturbing to me is that D had to go and unlock the door of the home for EMS when they arrived on the scene. That really is making no sense at all to me. How did the door get locked if there was an intruder in the home just hours before? And , they fact that D threw in the fact that she went up to bed at about 3am after check on KT. That seemed a little contrived as well. THoughts?

I still think that all the details of the stories are not matching up and that somehow the sister played a part in this. If she didn't do it, I think she at least knows the person who did and had invited them back to the house.

How could all of this have happened with her in the house that night and her not know? I feel like she didn't seem quite "scared" enough in the 911 tapes for there to be "blood everywhere" and her sister foaming at the mouth. The car parked outside and the nurse saying that the family "may have seen a possible suspect" is too weird. The nurse seemed very convinced (and with a completely neutral stand) that it was sketchy and most likely had been around the family and the sister talking about what had happened right after.

PS- Did anyone else hear the man's voice ever so briefly in the first 911 call that D made, near the end? I couldn't discern whether it was on the 911 end or on D's end, but it sounded like D's end. IF so, that would be some sort of bombshell evidence. Gville is an hour and a half away from Raleigh, but I can't imagine how anyone from there (ie: KT's close family) would or could confirm she was raped. THe only person who I could think would be able to would be D, since she was seemigly the only one in the home with her that night.

And in the beginning she said "she had surgery on her neck and..." and trails off?

I think the nurse said "sketchy" based on "sketchy information".....
Not sure how you guys can continue to suspect D had something to do with this?
KT was raped for Gods sake.

Notice the cops took beer bottles out of the house.
Perhaps D had been drinking. That would explain some of the odd behavior.

PS- Did anyone else hear the man's voice ever so briefly in the first 911 call that D made, near the end? I couldn't discern whether it was on the 911 end or on D's end, but it sounded like D's end. IF so, that would be some sort of bombshell evidence. Gville is an hour and a half away from Raleigh, but I can't imagine how anyone from there (ie: KT's close family) would or could confirm she was raped. THe only person who I could think would be able to would be D, since she was seemigly the only one in the home with her that night.

I can hear something but thought it may be a radio or something but definitely a voice.

Just speculating here and I will admit I have not followed this case as closely as others but people can still suspect DH after a rape was confirmed b/c the rape could be staged. For example, an instrument of some sort could have been used to rape her not necessarily a male body part.

I have no idea if the sister is guilty or not but those 911 calls are hinky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member