NC - Kathy Taft, 62, Raleigh, 6 March 2010 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is interesting...items taken from the home by the cops.
Possible murder weapon(s)?
The baggie corners being illegal drug related?

Golf clubs, two shotgun barrels and a hand written note were collected along with "plastic bag corners."
Crime experts tell ABC11 that drugs are sometimes packaged in the corners of plastic baggies that are then cut out and sealed with heat.

I wonder who the plastic bag corners belonged to. That is maybe the most shocking thing on the list, IMO.

I wonder who the plastic bag corners belonged to. That is maybe the most shocking thing on the list, IMO.

Cocaine is what comes to mind .

Either D's ,JG's or the killer?

Maybe the killer sat around doing coke and also wrote a note?
(shades of the Ramsey case)

I am curious as to what the notes say. They found one in D's car and in the house. Any thoughts?

I just came across this when reading back articles about LE canvassing male neighbors for DNA swabs. Dated March 26th. I hadn't heard about this break in!

snipped....
Among those who gave DNA samples was Joe Andrews, who lives across the street. "He asked me if I would take a swab for saliva," Andrews said. "I told him I would. He said he was going to do all the males on the street, in the neighborhood, in the area."

But police are maintaining a visible presence on Cartier Drive. Police had driven down the street several times by late Thursday morning; one patrol officer got out of his cruiser and walked through the neighborhood.

Despite the police presence, Andrews said his home was broken into Wednesday morning. The thieves used a brick from his backyard to smash the windows of two rear doors, then tracked mud across the carpet while stealing a 47-inch flat-screen television and his daughter's laptop computer, her iPod and her wallet, Andrews said.
Andrews, who stopped working with the city sanitation department because of a back injury, shuddered at the thought of the thieves entering and finding someone home.

http://dailyme.com/story/2010032600001057/police-collect-dna-samples.html

I just came across this when reading back articles about LE canvassing male neighbors for DNA swabs. Dated March 26th. I hadn't heard about this break in!

snipped....
Among those who gave DNA samples was Joe Andrews, who lives across the street. "He asked me if I would take a swab for saliva," Andrews said. "I told him I would. He said he was going to do all the males on the street, in the neighborhood, in the area."

But police are maintaining a visible presence on Cartier Drive. Police had driven down the street several times by late Thursday morning; one patrol officer got out of his cruiser and walked through the neighborhood.

Despite the police presence, Andrews said his home was broken into Wednesday morning. The thieves used a brick from his backyard to smash the windows of two rear doors, then tracked mud across the carpet while stealing a 47-inch flat-screen television and his daughter's laptop computer, her iPod and her wallet, Andrews said.
Andrews, who stopped working with the city sanitation department because of a back injury, shuddered at the thought of the thieves entering and finding someone home.

http://dailyme.com/story/2010032600001057/police-collect-dna-samples.html

Yeah, I was freaked out about the break-ins too, but the KT killer seemed to have left lots of valuable items. I never heard of a burglary leaving cash, jewelery and lap tops behind. It causes me to wonder if the person who killed KT was there to steal anything.

The note in D's car and the note inside the house are also quite interesting.

the only notes in my car would be grocery lists or "to do lists"...

Yeah, I was freaked out about the break-ins too, but the KT killer seemed to have left lots of valuable items. I never heard of a burglary leaving cash, jewelery and lap tops behind. It causes me to wonder if the person who killed KT was there to steal anything.

The note in D's car and the note inside the house are also quite interesting.

Yep....that is surprising that valuables were left behind.

I'm on the fence here, waiting for more facts to come forth.

I'm on the fence too but think it's hinky that D had to validate in the 911 call that she had been there with her and checked on her - maybe she was in shock and just rambling.

Perhaps the 'hand written notes' had something to do with notes taken by D at the outpatient clinic at Duke for her recovery?

The cops may have wanted to take that info to clarify her procedure and subsequent care.

searchwarrant.jpg

Does this mean that her Durango was still at HT that morning when WakeMed showed up at the house?

Thats what it sounds like to me......"she left it at this location"

Saying to 911 it was in front could easily be said, especially in view of the shocking circumstances. To me, the car at HT just makes it more likely someone targeted KT, seeing only her car and probably thought she was alone.

Crocus, it does say on another document that the Durango was parked at Harris Teeter.

As the last known person to see KT alive, it was just good police work to search D's car for clues. She had to be eliminated as a suspect (could have easily staged the rape).
The fact that the cops and DA did not re-seal anything, tells me they have probably cleared D...especially since it appears they got confirmation of unknown male DNA a couple of weeks later.

Perhaps the 'hand written notes' had something to do with notes taken by D at the outpatient clinic at Duke for her recovery?

The cops may have wanted to take that info to clarify her procedure and subsequent care.

Maybe, when I had my medical procedure, I had my doctor instructions on the fridge or easy at hand, not in my car. If my memory serves me correctly, they didn't seize any of the items I would expect such as bags of peas, cold compresses, box of tissues, all the stuff you needs when nursing a person in that condition and that was kept close by my side. Perhaps KT's medications were taken with KT to the hospital by ambulance. That would make sense.

WRAL lists the first 911 call made by the sister as being made at 9:31AM and the second call made by the hospital at 11:48AM.

Source: http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/7389113/

I am suprised there are no comments on the revelation D called 911 at 9:31AM?. We were lead to believe it was 11:40 am when the first call was made. For me, that was a biggie something was sketch with her story.

OT

The MY 911 call chills me to the bone every time I hear it. I really can't even imagine...

I am suprised there are no comments on the revelation D called 911 at 9:31AM?. We were lead to believe it was 11:40 am when the first call was made. For me, that was a biggie something was sketch with her story.

Yes, that has some impact with me. I still find the 9:30 time odd. But that's just me. I base this on my experiences of when I had surgery and had a care taker and on when others have had surgery and I was their caretaker. In both cases the patient was not left unattended for more than a few hours between late night and early morning. We both were up early (at least 7:00 a.m.) to take meds which were needed by that time, ice was needed from swelling, patient is thirsty, etc. Waiting until 9:30 to actually check on the patient is just odd to me.

To hear something in the night, but not actually go and physcially see if the patient is okay is odd to me. If it's enough to get you out of the bed and down the stairs, but not enough to actually check on the patient, it seems odd. That is the whole point of having a caretaker for 24 hours after surgery. To stand near the door and assume you hear noises that you think indicates the person is okay, seems strange, IMO. But, that's just me. Perhaps other people do things differently.

I just intend to keep my mind open. I'm sure there is a logical explanation for all of the things that seem odd. LE may have already figured them out.

A call at 9:30 does seem more appropriate to me and fits into a timeline I would expect if the sister was waiting for KT to wake up for breakfast (perhaps at a pre-arranged time?). One might think KT would be starving by that time and eager to eat some food.

ETA: Based on Prancy's post above I admit I don't know the level of care needed for this type of surgery. I would say that normally, to me, 9:30 might be a good time to check up on someone if they weren't up and about.

I'm keeping an open mind, too. I think we all have to.

Quoting a close friend of the family....

"The next day Dina assumed she was sleeping late, due to the surgery and the fact that she was medicated for pain. Didn't get concerned until later that morning, when she went in and found Kathy unconscious and in a pool of blood."

I am ok with this explanation. Sleeping until 9:30am would not be unusual, especially considering the neck lift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member