NC - Keith Scott, 43, killed by LEO, Charlotte, 20 Sept 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love this police chief. He is a no nonsense guy and seems very honest.

Very impressed with the CMPD Chief.

I agree. He was very professional. He said several times he was not going to try the case in front of the media. He did his best to answer questions without making judgements and said the investigation is on-going. I thought he did an excellent job, considering how much the press were jumping all over him to try to get him to make judgements about what happened. CNN commenters are now tearing him apart for sharing the info he shared but they would have loved to have even more than what he told, IMO.

Now the talking heads on CNN are saying that the police chief revealed too much information. Just can't win.

I agree. He was very professional. He said several times he was not going to try the case in front of the media. He did his best to answer questions without making judgements and said the investigation is on-going. I thought he did an excellent job, considering how much the press were jumping all over him to try to get him to make judgements about what happened. CNN commenters are now tearing him apart for sharing the info he shared but they would have loved to have even more than what he told, IMO.

I agree as well. There is a group out there that will not be satisfied no matter what LE does, how they do it, when they do it, etc. Some people are looking for the negative in everything, no matter how good the intention.

I agree. And I honestly feel allowing people to get away with unjustified shootings (even if it wasn't on purpose - they're not necessarily sociopathic murderers) will cause the police force as a whole to attract men and women who DO have the desire to shoot down other humans. It will be an attractive profession - all that power, all that protection? It will get WAY worse if it isn't handled now.

They will lose good LEOs in the process too. Who wants to be part of that system? Look how many come out after and talk about how they were pressured to lie, go along, stand together. What a terrible situation to be in.

The question is, was he threatening LE. I think that none of their videos show him doing that so they don't want to release them. He may have had a gun and was not computing their orders and just was standing there after he got out of the truck, with a gun dangling from his left hand. Both hands were reportedly down and at his side. They interpreted that as a threat, and shot him because he did not drop the gun. Tragic. JMO

This will probably be declared justified because he had a weapon on him and his family will receive a check, but those officers were never in any danger IMO and it's a shame they didn't know that too. Or maybe they did.

Just because you can kill someone one and get away with it doesn't mean you should.

Sitting in his own truck waiting for his kids and shot dead for no reason. It disgusts me our culture has decided this is okay.

This will probably be declared justified because he had a weapon on him and his family will receive a check, but those officers were never in any danger IMO and it's a shame they didn't know that too. Or maybe they did.

Just because you can kill someone one and get away with it doesn't mean you should.

Sitting in his own truck waiting for his kids and shot dead for no reason. It disgusts me our culture has decided this is okay.

giphy.gif

I don't know how anyone could make the assumption that this officer killed someone because he could get away it...smh...that's a really an unfair opinion based on knowing very little.

oh, lookie, a list of 'demands' from the Charlotte protesters. I am sure they are very realistic and objective....

http://www.charlotteuprising.com/petition

Sign this petition and tell the Department of Justice, Charlotte City Council, Governor Pat McCrory and CMPD police Chief Kerr Putney, and all other police departments and all levels of government that we will not stay on the sidelines as the assault on Black lives continues.

WE DEMAND:
THE IMMEDIATE END TO THE STATE OF EMERGENCY, CURFEW & THE REMOVAL OF THE NATIONAL GUARD

THE IMMEDIATE DEMILITARIZATION OF THE POLICE DEPARTMENT AND THE IMMEDIATE RETURN OF ALL MILITARY EQUIPMENT

THE DE-FUNDING OF THE POLICE DEPARTMENT (2017 Budget: $246,644,617) AND THE REDIRECTION OF THOSE RESOURCES TO THE NEEDS OF OUR COMMUNITIES (INCLUDING RESOURCES FOR JOBS PROGRAMS, AFFORDABLE QUALITY HOUSING, TRANSPORTATION, HOLISTIC HEALTH AND QUALITY SCHOOLS)

AN INDEPENDENT INVESTIGATION INTO THE KILLING OF KEITH L. SCOTT AND AN INVESTIGATION INTO THE CHARLOTTE MECKLENBURG POLICE DEPARTMENT BY THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE AND A FREEZE ON THE NEARLY 1.5 MILLION DOLLARS AWARDED IN FEDERAL GRANTS ANNUALLY TO THE DEPARTMENT

A RELEASE OF THE POLICE REPORT AND BODY CAMERA FOOTAGE CONNECTED WITH THE KILLING OF KEITH L. SCOTT & ALL OTHER KILLINGS TO THE PUBLIC AND IMMEDIATELY REPEAL OF HB 972, WHICH RESTRICTS THE ABILITY OF THE PUBLIC TO ACCESS POLICE BODY CAMERA FOOTAGE

THE IMMEDIATE AND UNCONDITIONAL RELEASE OF ALL THOSE ARRESTED IN CONNECTION WITH THE UPRISING RESULTING FROM THE KILLING OF KEITH L. SCOTT & THE DROPPING OF ALL CHARGES

THE RELEASE OF ALL THE NAMES OF THE OFFICERS INVOLVED IN THE KILLING OF KEITH L. SCOTT TO THE PUBLIC FOLLOWED BY THEIR FIRING, ARREST AND PROSECUTION

REPARATIONS FOR THE FAMILY OF KEITH L. SCOTT AND ALL VICTIMS OF POLICE VIOLENCE AS WELL AS THE FAMILIES OF THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN KILLED

COMMUNITY CONTROL OF THE POLICE, STARTING WITH THE CREATION OF A CIVILIAN OVERSIGHT BOARD THAT HAS THE POWER TO HIRE AND FIRE OFFICERS, DETERMINE DISCIPLINARY ACTIONS AS WELL AS DICTATE POLICE POLICIES, PRIORITIES, AND BUDGETS.

THE BOARD SHALL NOT INCLUDE POLICE REPRESENTATION AND WILL BE CONTROLLED BY COMMUNITIES MOST IMPACTED BY POLICING AND INCARCERATION IN CHARLOTTE.​
AN END TO THE REPRESSION & TARGETING OF PROTESTORS AND ALL THOSE ENGAGED IN THE CHARLOTTE UPRISING
​

Yeah. ^^That's gonna happen...

Irony much?

"THE IMMEDIATE AND UNCONDITIONAL RELEASE OF ALL THOSE ARRESTED IN CONNECTION WITH THE UPRISING RESULTING FROM THE KILLING OF KEITH L. SCOTT & THE DROPPING OF ALL CHARGES

THE RELEASE OF ALL THE NAMES OF THE OFFICERS INVOLVED IN THE KILLING OF KEITH L. SCOTT TO THE PUBLIC FOLLOWED BY THEIR FIRING, ARREST AND PROSECUTION"

oh, lookie, a list of 'demands' from the Charlotte protesters. I am sure they are very realistic and objective....

http://www.charlotteuprising.com/petition

Sign this petition and tell the Department of Justice, Charlotte City Council, Governor Pat McCrory and CMPD police Chief Kerr Putney, and all other police departments and all levels of government that we will not stay on the sidelines as the assault on Black lives continues.

WE DEMAND:
THE IMMEDIATE END TO THE STATE OF EMERGENCY, CURFEW & THE REMOVAL OF THE NATIONAL GUARD

THE IMMEDIATE DEMILITARIZATION OF THE POLICE DEPARTMENT AND THE IMMEDIATE RETURN OF ALL MILITARY EQUIPMENT

THE DE-FUNDING OF THE POLICE DEPARTMENT (2017 Budget: $246,644,617) AND THE REDIRECTION OF THOSE RESOURCES TO THE NEEDS OF OUR COMMUNITIES (INCLUDING RESOURCES FOR JOBS PROGRAMS, AFFORDABLE QUALITY HOUSING, TRANSPORTATION, HOLISTIC HEALTH AND QUALITY SCHOOLS)

AN INDEPENDENT INVESTIGATION INTO THE KILLING OF KEITH L. SCOTT AND AN INVESTIGATION INTO THE CHARLOTTE MECKLENBURG POLICE DEPARTMENT BY THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE AND A FREEZE ON THE NEARLY 1.5 MILLION DOLLARS AWARDED IN FEDERAL GRANTS ANNUALLY TO THE DEPARTMENT

A RELEASE OF THE POLICE REPORT AND BODY CAMERA FOOTAGE CONNECTED WITH THE KILLING OF KEITH L. SCOTT & ALL OTHER KILLINGS TO THE PUBLIC AND IMMEDIATELY REPEAL OF HB 972, WHICH RESTRICTS THE ABILITY OF THE PUBLIC TO ACCESS POLICE BODY CAMERA FOOTAGE

THE IMMEDIATE AND UNCONDITIONAL RELEASE OF ALL THOSE ARRESTED IN CONNECTION WITH THE UPRISING RESULTING FROM THE KILLING OF KEITH L. SCOTT & THE DROPPING OF ALL CHARGES

THE RELEASE OF ALL THE NAMES OF THE OFFICERS INVOLVED IN THE KILLING OF KEITH L. SCOTT TO THE PUBLIC FOLLOWED BY THEIR FIRING, ARREST AND PROSECUTION

REPARATIONS FOR THE FAMILY OF KEITH L. SCOTT AND ALL VICTIMS OF POLICE VIOLENCE AS WELL AS THE FAMILIES OF THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN KILLED

COMMUNITY CONTROL OF THE POLICE, STARTING WITH THE CREATION OF A CIVILIAN OVERSIGHT BOARD THAT HAS THE POWER TO HIRE AND FIRE OFFICERS, DETERMINE DISCIPLINARY ACTIONS AS WELL AS DICTATE POLICE POLICIES, PRIORITIES, AND BUDGETS.

THE BOARD SHALL NOT INCLUDE POLICE REPRESENTATION AND WILL BE CONTROLLED BY COMMUNITIES MOST IMPACTED BY POLICING AND INCARCERATION IN CHARLOTTE.​
AN END TO THE REPRESSION & TARGETING OF PROTESTORS AND ALL THOSE ENGAGED IN THE CHARLOTTE UPRISING
​

Honestly, just once I would LOVE for a city to give in to those demands so we could just see what would happen with that little social experiment of a civilian ran police force.

Sitting in his truck, getting high, while armed with a gun, is not what a father should do, while waiting for his son's school bus.

He was not shot for no reason. He was shot because he would not drop his weapon. A cop does not have to put themselves in a deadly, dangerous position in order to allow a threat to their own lives, just because someone they are trying to detain does not want to put down their own weapon.

Yeah. ^^That's gonna happen...

Irony much?

There was another list out yesterday (sorry I don't have a MSM link) but it was much more reasonable.

Aside from asking for ******ing, the officers names, and dropping of charges/release, the rest is reasonable and necessary in ALL police departments, if you ask me.

"If you want a kitten, ask for a pony." They know some of that is unreasonable, I'm sure. So they asked for more to get what they need/want. Interesting turn of events.

ETA: ******

That's the problem these days. We constantly try to make excuses for bad behavior and blame authority for being oppressive. And if that doesn't work it's due to racism.

But this was a black cop who ended up shooting a black suspect. This isn't about racism or unjust police officers. This was a guy sitting in his vehicle waiting for his kid to get off the school bus with weed (illegal in NC) and a gun (illegal for him, he's a felon) apparently in plain sight next to him...and then he picks the gun up and refused to drop it when confronted by officers.

Obviously there needs to be some accountability here and in situations like this if we keep perpetuating that behavior like this is OK, then we can expect it to happen over and over again.

:goodpost:

And how can you end funding for a police department, but then have a civilian oversight board for the police department?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BG89