GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the DOA report provide any details?

Sorry, I don't have a report - I was referencing IrishEyes's mention of what she found (which was a ref to a DOA in a report for that day in Ink Lake).

Great find on info all!

Please remember that we can't post personal information or post the full names of people that are not POI, or Suspects in a case unless their names have been released in the media. We can refer to them by initials IIRC. (can't post any personal identifiers about those people either or link to their social networking sites) etc....

Just sharing because if we violate those policies we might just end up having this thread shut down so that a mod can clean up the entries. Sometimes that can take a while because our mods are volunteers.

Just a friendly reminder :) I don't want to see the thread have problems.

Just a reminder...

Sleuthing and linking to someone not linked directly to a case is not allowed. We don't want to post someone's mother, brother, etc. just because they know the main player. If they are named in the media specifically as having some role or are being questioned its ok to link.
Generally we try not to invade everyone's privacy and if the linked information has no bearing on anything, then leave it out.

Thanks!

Ima

I searched the district court but found no probate filed there (was hoping to find some info on will, heirs, etc.)

I found some of that info by inference (100% owner) on the Burnet County RE tax assessment site. Here are the RE assets and their appriased value in 2002 left to AS (100%):

7630 03500-0000-00019-000 Real 545 CR 139 SMITH AMANDA $255,538
7710 03500-0003-00162-000 Real SHADY LN SMITH AMANDA $4,996
8264 03600-0013-00006-R00 Real 208 STIRRUP, SMITH AMANDA $7,623
8265 03600-0013-00007-R00 Real 210 STIRRUP BURNET, TX 78611 SMITH AMANDA $7,623
76042 03600-0013-00008-000 Real LASSO LOOP , SMITH AMANDA $7,897

That's just the real estate in Burnet Co. the 100% owner of all of that (since sold) was AS in Brooklyn, NY (yes, she relocated pretty quickly):

Amanda Smith
422 CATON AVE #1
BROOKLYN, NY 11218

Also, the date the grantee (AS) received the properties was 1/16/2001.

This is the address of the gas station where LA and GH met at 5 p.m. Friday, June 15th.

2835 Forest Hills Rd Sw, Wilson, NC

My understanding is that GH called his mother (where I believe LA lived) to say she had not shown up yet, around 6:30 p.m. His mother likely would have been the last to see her before heading to the gas station.

It would have taken him about an hour to get home from the gas station.

Looking at the map, I could envision there being a location in that parking lot that was secluded enough to strangle her in her car. He could have said that he wanted to discuss his move to St. Thomas, giving her the kids, etc. then when the coast looked clear, strangled her to death and then driven her car back to his house, while AH drove his car with the kids and followed.

Either way, I think he did the dismembering of the body in his apartment, where he felt most secure that he wouldn't be disturbed. Getting her body from the car to the apartment would have been done late at night.

As far as the AH family being in on it, unless some evidence shows up that they were I don't see how GH and AH would have done that. They kept her family in the dark as much as possible about what they were doing, as it was too risky to expect them to agree to keep quiet.

:twocents:

Sorry, I don't have a report - I was referencing IrishEyes's mention of what she found (which was a ref to a DOA in a report for that day in Ink Lake).

It doesn't say....it was just a list of 911 dispatches...not what was actually said...just the address and nature of call....so there was an address at Inks Lake that day where there was a reported DOA but no further info.

Yeah, the reason I checked SSDI to see if he was getting SSI benefits prior to death was because of the whole Christopher Reeves Foundation thing. Being paralyzed wouldn't mean you had to be getting SSI though, and asking donations to go there wouldn't necessarily mean you were paralyzed. Who knows?

This is the address of the gas station where LA and GH met at 5 p.m. Friday, June 15th.

2835 Forest Hills Rd Sw, Wilson, NC

My understanding is that GH called his mother (where I believe LA lived)

No, LA lived there with the boys late 2009-early 2010 after returning stateside to get medical care for the youngest (makes sense right? stay with the in-laws, then return to USVI).

She was informed or clued into the fact that GH had decided he would rather be with AS/AP from hereonout.

In Jan 2010 LA was looking for work and updating her resume.

GH/AH won ex-parte emergency custody in Feb 2010 (ironically in part by claiming LA didn't have a job and lived with GH's parents). Purportedly GH's parents gave testimony which influenced the outcome.

LA filed a civil suit to get custody back in March 2010...I am sure she was out of there by then, but in any case was not living with GH's parents for too much longer after the initial custody ruling.

ETA: since LA lived in Kinston (home office), GH purportedly asked his mother to call LA (don't know why he couldn't do that himself) and/or go to LA's place and check and see if she was there.

@kjev.. thanks for the quotes. the mother seems like she's already got her (LA) out of the boys life and justifying to herself that the boys will never see their mother again and is very unconcerned. IMO she knew something OR she knew what her son was capable of...

Here's an article from the Tradewinds newspaper of St. John regarding AH. There is a mention of a different boyfriend.

Exciting Year Ahead for Artists’ Association of St. John

Written by Jaime Elliott
Monday, 22 October 2007 15:14

Amanda Smith will open the Pirate’s Paradise Arts Supply store in November and is taking over AASJ gallery director duties as well. St. John Tradewinds News Photo By Eliza Magro

With the opening of a new art supply store and expanded workshops and gallery openings, the coming high season is going to be an exciting one for the St. John Artists’ Association.

Pirate’s Paradise Arts Supply, due to open in mid-November, will fill a need most artists on the island experience every time they try to paint — a lack of supplies, explained entrepreneur and artist Amanda Smith.

“I’m a painter and there was just no place for me to buy supplies,” said Smith, who is also taking over as AASJ’s gallery director this season. “I saw such a need to have more available here. We have so many artists and there really aren’t many supplies.”

The acrylic abstract artist enlisted the help of her boyfriend Ryan Gordon and his cousin Randy Hazelton to transform an unused space adjacent to AASJ’s new Lumberyard gallery into a retail venue.

“This used to be two small rooms and a hallway before,” Smith said, standing in the freshly-painted space. “We’ve been working on it since July and it’s really starting to come together now.”

The store is now one large room with bright white paint, slatted walls and lots of space waiting to be filled.

Requests Welcome
After navigating the business license maze which delayed progress on Pirate’s Paradise, Smith is ready to move forward and is hoping to get ideas about which products should line the newly-installed shelves.

“I want to have a large variety of supplies and I’m really still learning about all of these materials,” said Smith. “Requests are greatly appreciated and I can do special orders if anyone wants.”

The art supply store will stock a selection of brushes, paints, rolls of canvas and pre-stretched canvas as well as anything else requested, Smith explained.

“I really want to stock what people want,” she said. “Members have already been helping me by telling me what types of supplies they use. People have been giving me a lot of positive feedback and I’m excited to start getting supplies in.”

A grand opening party will be announced as soon as Smith has a better idea of when her stock will arrive on island, she added.

In her new position as AASJ gallery director, Smith plans to expand the group’s workshop offerings and increase revenue.

“I want to have some fundraisers so that we’re able to do more with our space here,” she said. “I really want to build studio space in the back and have a lot of different classes to offer the public and our members. I want to have classes for pottery, photography and jewelry making — I have a lot of ideas.”

Smith also hopes to increase the group’s membership by appealing to those who might not think of themselves as artists.

“I’d really like to get more people to come out and join the association,” said Smith. “You don’t have to be a professional artist to join. There are a lot of people out there with talent who don’t see it for themselves.”

The artist is speaking from experience. The one-time actress has never had formal art training.

“Painting has always been a hobby for me,” Smith said. “I’ve never taken a class or studied art in any way. For me art was just about color.”

“I would have these colors in my mind and I would just see it and paint it on the canvas,” she continued. “But I had so many canvases that they were taking up all the space in my home. I had to do something with them.”

Hobby Becomes Life
The New York transplant, who has lived on island since January, had her first gallery opening at AASJ in early August and now what was Smith’s hobby is a much bigger part of her life.

For other budding artists, the most important thing is to not be too hard on themselves, according to Smith.

“Don’t judge yourself,” she said. “It’s important to keep your channel open and just have fun. Every person is unique and there is no comparing one to another because everything is so different.”

AASJ’s first gallery opening of the season is scheduled for November 1. Smith plans to host special events on Thursday evenings throughout season and to announce workshop schedules shortly. The gallery is open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

For more information about Pirate’s Paradise or the AASJ gallery, call 774-2275 or email amanda@piratesparadise.com.

index.php

Here's something I found and I don't know if or how it relates. Check this site: http://visualartexchange.ning.com/profiles/blogs/vae-enews-31611
Search for GH on here and see that he and his wife are selling art supplies from a closed business. Notice the phone numbers. That is a NY area code, I think. I searched these phone numbers and found this: http://www.list-alert.com/craigslist/38925/leather-couch If you go to "Awesome Leather Living Room Set" in Raleigh - there is the phone number for GH's wife as listed in the other ad. Notice the date - day after LA went missing. Could this furniture be tied to a murder? (If you click the link, it takes you to the craigslist ad - dated 7/14/11 at 11:45.) Thoughts?

Please pass this info on to the police! They may need it for their conviction!

Great find on info all!

Please remember that we can't post personal information or post the full names of people that are not POI, or Suspects in a case unless their names have been released in the media. We can refer to them by initials IIRC. (can't post any personal identifiers about those people either or link to their social networking sites) etc....

Just sharing because if we violate those policies we might just end up having this thread shut down so that a mod can clean up the entries. Sometimes that can take a while because our mods are volunteers.

Just a friendly reminder :) I don't want to see the thread have problems.

I found some of that info by inference (100% owner) on the Burnet County RE tax assessment site. Here are the RE assets and their appriased value in 2002 left to AS (100%):

7630 03500-0000-00019-000 Real 545 CR 139 SMITH AMANDA $255,538
7710 03500-0003-00162-000 Real SHADY LN SMITH AMANDA $4,996
8264 03600-0013-00006-R00 Real 208 STIRRUP, SMITH AMANDA $7,623
8265 03600-0013-00007-R00 Real 210 STIRRUP BURNET, TX 78611 SMITH AMANDA $7,623
76042 03600-0013-00008-000 Real LASSO LOOP , SMITH AMANDA $7,897

That's just the real estate in Burnet Co. the 100% owner of all of that (since sold) was AS in Brooklyn, NY (yes, she relocated pretty quickly):

Amanda Smith
422 CATON AVE #1
BROOKLYN, NY 11218

Also, the date the grantee (AS) received the properties was 1/16/2001.

Well that just makes my head spin because the DOA was on the same street as the 545 address number but just around the corner. The rest of those are probably vacant lots or boat slips or something?

That property might have been worth $255K but that doesn't mean she walked away with all that - it might have been mortgaged.

This situation really really creeps me out....

Well that just makes my head spin because the DOA was on the same street as the 545 address number but just around the corner. The rest of those are probably vacant lots or boat slips or something?

That property might have been worth $255K but that doesn't mean she walked away with all that - it might have been mortgaged.

This situation really really creeps me out....

Looks like she spent all of it if they are having to sell everything off. Unless they just don't want to move it to the Virgin Islands........NOT that they will ever see them again.

Well, she might. I don't think he'll protect her though. He wants to go do his music and I don't see him as one to fall on the sword for anyone.

I believe she was just as big a part in the murder as Gh or a bigger part. I really do.

I hope LA's brother or family fights for custody of the boys. It would be a shame if GH's family raises them. Not to say that his parents wouldn't treat them right. I believe they would. I just think the boys belong with her family. They would probably be raised going to the prison to visit Daddy. They need to be seperated from that kind of environment. imo

I just wanted to add something. There apparently is a recent Facebook posting he made telling a friend he would be giving the boys to LA and moving to the Virgin Islands, so what you wrote is exactly what he was trying to pawn off in the investigation. He used Facebook to try and show evidence he was going to do just that. Had they not found the body, this would have been a difficult case to prove.

The detectives really did a great job - going to Texas and searching for the body like that, very commendable.

So glad you posted about this. I read that and couldn't remember where. I think that the date he wrote this was before the 13th. Could it be that if he had decided to give the children to Laura, there would be no reason for him to make her disappear... (he would be assuming that Laura's body would not be found due to their cleverness in disposing of her).

This infuriates me. I think we have all come to have great admiration and respect for Laura and the effort she was making for her children.

WHERE is the new baby? She is not mentioned at all now, is she?

So glad you posted about this. I read that and couldn't remember where. I think that the date he wrote this was before the 13th. Could it be that if he had decided to give the children to Laura, there would be no reason for him to make her disappear... (he would be assuming that Laura's body would not be found due to their cleverness in disposing of her).

This infuriates me. I think we have all come to have great admiration and respect for Laura and the effort she was making for her children.

WHERE is the new baby? She is not mentioned at all now, is she?

I believe I read in an earlier post that his mother has the new baby too.

"Last week, Grant Haze was just another bland singer-songwriter with a tremendous ego and hoop earrings. Now he's charged with killing his ex-girlfriend, dismembering her corpse, stuffing the body parts in ice chests, and driving them from his North Carolina home to a creek in Fort Bend County, where authorities have recovered her head, torso and leg."

Pretty scathing opinion piece on Grant: http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2011/07/grant_haze_musician_accused_of.php

Recent posts from friends on GH's FB wall:

-A few people say they are shocked but not surprised
-More than one person referenced drug use by GH
-One person asks if anyone knows GH's first wife, Emily. First I've heard of that one...but then again he told everyone LA was his wife as well.

One person very recently posted this:

"If you knew Grant you know he was a class A personality, a people person could people to fo what ever wanted. He was smart, an artist. He fits the classic profile of a killer. I think if you take a step back and look at the big picture and when combine this with chronic drug use ....it is mind warping."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
craig21876