GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a link from a 2011 thread posted by jrb0124 who did some excellent digging about Nicky Smith/Amanda property in TX:
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kiniston/Raleigh, 13 July 2011
Posted by jrb0124:
Quote: Originally Posted by Irish_Eyes
I searched the district court but found no probate filed there (was hoping to find some info on will, heirs, etc.)
I found some of that info by inference (100% owner) on the Burnet County RE tax assessment site. Here are the RE assets and their appriased value in 2002 left to AS (100%):

7630 03500-0000-00019-000 Real 545 CR 139 SMITH AMANDA $255,538
7710 03500-0003-00162-000 Real SHADY LN SMITH AMANDA $4,996
8264 03600-0013-00006-R00 Real 208 STIRRUP, SMITH AMANDA $7,623
8265 03600-0013-00007-R00 Real 210 STIRRUP BURNET, TX 78611 SMITH AMANDA $7,623
76042 03600-0013-00008-000 Real LASSO LOOP , SMITH AMANDA $7,897

That's just the real estate in Burnet Co. the 100% owner of all of that (since sold) was AS in Brooklyn, NY (yes, she relocated pretty quickly):

Amanda Smith
422 CATON AVE #1
BROOKLYN, NY 11218

Also, the date the grantee (AS) received the properties was 1/16/2001.

I watched the August 16 pre-trial hearing. I don't know how I missed that! It was packed full of info.

To answer my own Q from the last thread, prosecutor Becky Holt was specifically asked and said that no deals have been given to anyone.

If I understood this right, the prosecution may ask AH to testify. If she doesn't (due to her legal privilege not to self-incriminate), the State can call KB. Then they will argue about whether KB's testimony would meet the hearsay exception criteria, and the Judge said he'll wait to hear the testimony if she's called. (I realize ya'll already realized this, but I didn't understand that.) I still don't understand why the defense is not allowed to call KB themselves, but I give up trying to figure it out.

Apparently there is also a jailhouse informant who may testify if the defense gets info they need/want about what reduction in sentence this dude received in return for snitching.

Apparently the State may want to bring in some prior "bad acts" related to GH and/or AH.

And the defense does not want Radisch (NC ME) to be able to say that one way Laura's voice box could have been damaged may be strangulation. So when Boz kept asking Mambo whether he was sure about damaging the voice box himself, that may be because of what the prosecution may expect Radisch to say. Someone speculated about this earlier in the thread....good catch!

And I heard the defense mentioning GH mental heath, the words 'psychopath' and 'sociopath' mentioned. Also mentioned was alleged prior medical treatment (i.e., lots of meds) for mental health issues by Grant back in eastern NC.

And remember this Candace person (a Berry daughter?) they have been referring to as being at the house in TX? I wonder if she'll show up in court.

Will Dr. Ginger Calloway testify? I do hope so since she may be able to show how GH and AH wanted to "annihilate" Laura. (Motive)

And also, they haven't really covered the H's financial status by bringing in their financial records. If GH was going to have to pay child support, financial stresses would also go to motive.

Well, this week will be interesting.

Also, I didn't know AH's attorneys, Rosemary Godwin and Johnny Gaskins (isn't he a felon?) are married to each other. And they also (both) represented the kid in Chapel Hill who shot and killed both his parents, then went to the prom!

I watched the August 16 pre-trial hearing. I don't know how I missed that! It was packed full of info.

To answer my own Q from the last thread, prosecutor Becky Holt was specifically asked and said that no deals have been given to anyone.

If I understood this right, the prosecution may ask AH to testify. If she doesn't (due to her legal privilege not to self-incriminate), the State can call KB. Then they will argue about whether KB's testimony would meet the hearsay exception criteria, and the Judge said he'll wait to hear the testimony if she's called. (I realize ya'll already realized this, but I didn't understand that.) I still don't understand why the defense is not allowed to call KB themselves, but I give up trying to figure it out.

Apparently there is also a jailhouse informant who may testify if the defense gets info they need/want about what reduction in sentence this dude received in return for snitching.

Apparently the State may want to bring in some prior "bad acts" related to GH and/or AH.

And the defense does not want Radisch (NC ME) to be able to say that one way Laura's voice box could have been damaged may be strangulation. So when Boz kept asking Mambo whether he was sure about damaging the voice box himself, that may be because of what the prosecution may expect Radisch to say. Someone speculated about this earlier in the thread....good catch!

And I heard the defense mentioning GH mental heath, the words 'psychopath' and 'sociopath' mentioned. Also mentioned was alleged prior medical treatment (i.e., lots of meds) for mental health issues by Grant back in eastern NC.

And remember this Candace person (a Berry daughter?) they have been referring to as being at the house in TX? I wonder if she'll show up in court.

Will Dr. Ginger Calloway testify? I do hope so since she may be able to show how GH and AH wanted to "annihilate" Laura. (Motive)

And also, they haven't really covered the H's financial status by bringing in their financial records. If GH was going to have to pay child support, financial stresses would also go to motive.

Well, this week will be interesting.

Also, I didn't know AH's attorneys, Rosemary Godwin and Johnny Gaskins (isn't he a felon?) are married to each other. And they also (both) represented the kid in Chapel Hill who shot and killed both his parents, then went to the prom!

Lots of great thoughts, Boodles!

BBM

On day 2, iirc, when HS was reading an email between Laura & GH, Laura stated in the email, "Have you taken your anti-psychotics lately?" That was a :eek: moment for me.

I also wanted to say that Laura also had a great friend in HS. Level headed, tried so hard to help Laura. When she had to say that she would be surprised to know that Laura had been to GH's apt in Raleigh, when Laura had told her she would never, I felt the hurt in her voice. Then her answer to "why do you think she didn't tell you she went to GH's apt in Raleigh?" She stated something to the effect of that "She thought I would be disappointed in her."

I've been there in my past. Saying one thing & doing another when it came to an ex. Having people in your life that support you, but you want to think you made the right choice and so you give someone else another chance......only to have them use you again. Sadly, the chances Laura gave GH turned out to be deadly.

I am praying so hard for justice for GH & AH. I don't see that it's fair that one of them get off & the other one pay for what happened. They were both, clearly, involved with the killing & disposal of Laura.

jrb124

icon1.gif
updated timeline (v3)
additional info added based on articles and interviews after the previous timeline
Thank you so much, jrb, for the great updated timeline -- your timing of giving us this one, and the great detail was a big help for me! I've been here since the very beginning -- since the horrid crime was committed -- but it's good to stand back every now & then and gets things arranged a bit better.

And for newer folks, it's a must.

Thanks for your time and thoughtfulness for us WS'ers!

http://www.kinston.com/news/local/a...erson-murder-revealed-to-jury-1.199416?page=0
Kinston.com - Kinston, NC -- 9/7/13

Autopsy findings in Ackerson murder revealed to jury
Decomposition hindered cause of death determination

Snipped:

Testimony resumes Monday at 9:30 a.m. at the Wake County Justice Center. Stephens told the jury it’s his hope the trial wraps up and jurors reach a verdict before the week is out.

Judge Stephens just said after meeting with the attorneys they will only take an hour for lunch this week which will gain 1/2 a day. They are a little bit behind schedule with this trial.
Good morning everybody!

Kevin Crocker, RPD, first witness today -- for the Prosecution.

slight, light hearted OT: But Mr. Crocker is confusing me with his NCSU lanyard & UNC colored tie. ;)

What was the point of that witness?

Up next is Timothy Suggs, forensic scientist manager of trace evidence crime lab

Up next is Timothy Suggs, forensic scientist manager of trace evidence crime lab

He obviously knows his job but his testimony sounds so rehearsed.

Oh heavens. Mr. Suggs is confusing the crap out of me.

Mr. Crocker's testimony? Is that the one you're asking about, Surfie?

I guess it's just part of laying the foundation.
Did I hear the fugitive detective state that AH's Durango was seen at an law office? Maybe they had started getting their ducks in a row....

Sounds like he's reading from a script. Way too much detail to absorb.

I don't see why this is necessary. What was he asked to test? They haven't even said yet.

Mr. Crocker's testimony? Is that the one you're asking about, Surfie?

Yes. Grant smoked a lot of cigarettes after the not-quite-arrest had been announced on the news was basically all I got out of it. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95