GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You make some good points, Veracity! It was my understanding that the original $10000 GH paid was never intended to be the total cost, kind of like an upfront payment to an attorney. Once they have used up that $$, they bill you more. I'm not justifying her fee but even Judge Stevens stated that these are very thorough evals & are expensive. I don't think GH dragging his feet caused the need for the additional $5000, I think he was dragging his feet because she asked for more money. My guess is that experience has shown these psychologists that if they don't get their money upfront, they won't ever get it! It is unfortunate that all of these professionals have such a steep hourly fee. I also agree that the 50/50 custody recommendation was too generous to GH. I think he should have been required to see a psychiatrist and undergo therapy before he could have the kids without supervision. It would seem to me that her report should have raised red flags about LA's safety. Once she became aware of the amount of rage GH had for LA, she should have recommended that LA not have any contact w/GH unless in a public place. Poor LA, even though she expressed concerns for her own safety, her desire to see her kids trumped her safety concerns and she went to his apartment. I definitely believe he lured her there & should prove premeditation. The document she signed is still very troubling. I see why he wanted her to sign it. IMO, it was definitely so that it would lead LE to believe she took the money & just ran away. I just can't see under what scenario he got her to sign it. I don't think we'll ever know.

BBM My thoughts exactly! Maybe, just maybe, they wouldn't have murdered Laura if a good psychiatrist worked with him. However, I believe that Laura would have always been "tortured" and scrutinized by Grant because he did not want to be constrained by allowing their children in her life. After all, Grant and Amanda had big plans to travel, etc. :stormingmad:

Prosecution did a great job, loved the lady's closing more then the males but when he bought out the electric saw, its just a sad sad ending.. They made some great points, points about control on grants end and just the evilness behind the murder and dismembering of Laura's body. Both of them are guilty so i pray he is charged, scarred to watch.

Defense closing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkDTUj3X48k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Prosecution closing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG2EJEgTecs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

I thought Boz's closing was the most emotional and passionate. I truly felt his outrage and sadness at what happened to Laura.

I thought Boz's closing was the most emotional and passionate. I truly felt his outrage and sadness at what happened to Laura.

Deffo was straight to the point and he bought out the saw and stuff, which made me gasp and feel terrible. Maybe cause the closing was near 2 hours long..i felt the lady wrapped it up. But good job on both parties.

Deffo was straight to the point and he bought out the saw and stuff, which made me gasp and feel terrible. Maybe cause the closing was near 2 hours long..i felt the lady wrapped it up. But good job on both parties.

Agreed!!

Prosecution did a great job, loved the lady's closing more then the males but when he bought out the electric saw, its just a sad sad ending.. They made some great points, points about control on grants end and just the evilness behind the murder and dismembering of Laura's body. Both of them are guilty so i pray he is charged, scarred to watch.

Defense closing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkDTUj3X48k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Prosecution closing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG2EJEgTecs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

:welcome4:

here at

:websleuther:Websleuths, :websleuther:

:drumroll:islandmixed !!!:drumroll:

We're glad you're with us!!

:welcome4:

here at

:websleuther:Websleuths, :websleuther:

:drumroll:islandmixed !!!:drumroll:

We're glad you're with us!!

I forgot to introduce myself!!! Hey all, Social work student here from London. Trial addict ever since i watched the Zimmerman trial so now i have watched the sneinderman and now this one...Thanks for the welcome.:)

Boz has really done some good work in prosecuting in several trials that many of us have watched. He is also a pretty smart "techie" in trials that have needed that angle -- which is, as you know, happening with more & more regularity as we move into emails, VMs, google searches (sometimes daming evidence), etc., etc., etc. We need a 21st Century guy in the courtroom, and he has done good work there. He can fire questions quickly if that's what's called for with a particular witness. He's an up & comer who we hope will remain on that side of the courtroom!

Becky Holt has been with the prosecution team for several years -- I think she, when coupled with a male prosecutor, which is often, is very good at bringing a bit more personal angle, especially when the victim is female (I hope I'm not coming off sexist here, but it's what we often see with her) and this, I feel is very valuable -- both to male & female jurors. Men & women are just different and she is, as you've said, very passionate when she needs to be, but she can also dish it out as well. She's given some very eloquent closings, despite her "ums" and "ers." I think those insertions may just be her "pauses" to let something sink in without just stopping what she has to say.

Yes, the "saw scene" was a tuff one.

I agree, islandmixed, BH did a great job yesterday, and Boz's beginning with "she loved them to death" (good one, Boz) was a slap in the face to let everyone know he meant biznezz. They are a good team, IMO, and I was glad to see your thoughtful remarks.

Keep it up!

Hi friends! I finally watched both closings. I would be incredibly surprised if there was anything other than a 1st degree murder verdict. Truly. Boz brought it home. Loud and clear. I pray tonight for Laura and all her family and friends.

I missed closing arguments, could not believe that DH decided Friday was the day for the day trip to Gettysburg to lay flowers at dear 2nd grt uncles grave. We found him, it was so sad. 19 marched from ny and nvr came hm. So, I missed the closings but I feel that I have faith in our good judge and jury.

Does anyone Hv a link to the closing a on YouTube or did anyone download thm? I really want to hear the states case. Tia!! Justice c'mon soon for Laura!

Cherry, all of the trials that WRAL stream can be found in their archives at
WRAL.com Just for future reference.
Gettysburg is a bittersweet place. But beautiful countryside.

I forgot to introduce myself!!! Hey all, Social work student here from London. Trial addict ever since i watched the Zimmerman trial so now i have watched the sneinderman and now this one...Thanks for the welcome.:)

Social work, well then young man, we need you in the Triangle area of NC to work some social magic on these crazy men who think murder is easier than divorce.
Welcome!!

Hi friends! I finally watched both closings. I would be incredibly surprised if there was anything other than a 1st degree murder verdict. Truly. Boz brought it home. Loud and clear. I pray tonight for Laura and all her family and friends.

I agree Coffeegirl! I rewatched both parts of the State's closings again this morning and they were even better the 2nd time around. I hope we have a jury who can easily see how this murder played out just as we can.

Boz has really done some good work in prosecuting in several trials that many of us have watched. He is also a pretty smart "techie" in trials that have needed that angle -- which is, as you know, happening with more & more regularity as we move into emails, VMs, google searches (sometimes daming evidence), etc., etc., etc. We need a 21st Century guy in the courtroom, and he has done good work there. He can fire questions quickly if that's what's called for with a particular witness. He's an up & comer who we hope will remain on that side of the courtroom!

Becky Holt has been with the prosecution team for several years -- I think she, when coupled with a male prosecutor, which is often, is very good at bringing a bit more personal angle, especially when the victim is female (I hope I'm not coming off sexist here, but it's what we often see with her) and this, I feel is very valuable -- both to male & female jurors. Men & women are just different and she is, as you've said, very passionate when she needs to be, but she can also dish it out as well. She's given some very eloquent closings, despite her "ums" and "ers." I think those insertions may just be her "pauses" to let something sink in without just stopping what she has to say.

Yes, the "saw scene" was a tuff one.

I agree, islandmixed, BH did a great job yesterday, and Boz's beginning with "she loved them to death" (good one, Boz) was a slap in the face to let everyone know he meant biznezz. They are a good team, IMO, and I was glad to see your thoughtful remarks.

Keep it up!

Totally agree with everything you said agree Born! I really like the soft, more nurturing side of Becky Holt in these closings. She can personify the victims in a way that most of the male ADAs just can't do. Boz is perfect for the more technical aspects, the hard facts, and throwing it in your face style. I think their closings yesterday were just perfect, individually, and then when combined, they created a total summation of perfection.

Jurors, Its plain to see, NOW give us back some hope in the justice system!!
Do the right thing :please::please::please:
Make it short & sweet, GUILTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Life without parole X 100.

Watched the closing arguments last night again. KUDOS to both sets. I think with what they had to work with, they did a terrific job. I especially like BOZ choosing to pick up that SAW! And I was THRILLED to not hear MMMS and EERS!! :rockon:

What do we know about this jury?

Social work, well then young man, we need you in the Triangle area of NC to work some social magic on these crazy men who think murder is easier than divorce.
Welcome!!

WHOA! I work with with them all lol bloody hard work i tell you. I agree thoe! Thanks for the welcome. "wink"

Jurors, Its plain to see, NOW give us back some hope in the justice system!!
Do the right thing :please::please::please:
Make it short & sweet, GUILTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Life without parole X 100.

Damn right! I start back school next week and i will be fuming if the verdict is not what i want, i cant even say the word cause i am nervous lol. As of now while i am waiting, i am watching the Raven Abaroa trial....

I agree with you COMPLETELY!

The PSYCH part of this horrible case troubles me so - the way the court stalled the case while a psychologist held the proceedings hostage because her palm had not been greased AGAIN. That is what happened right? She sent a note to everyone saying SORRY, I'm holding the cards and I won't show them UNTIL I get another $5,000! I sincerely hope someone investigates how those evals are done because it appears to me the courts failed LAURA and HER TWO CHILDREN! Any one else wonder if the dunn for more money was the tinder and the report was the match?

I actually cried as her attorney related the callous court protocol. A Judge doesn't want to be bothered to write more than one order so they just extend a temp order (that was done outside the normal court) until some psych eval is done. Surely the doctor knows this is how the court operates and she used it to HER advantage. Ticks me off, the court will hold a hearing FIRST about some court appointed psychologist getting her next installment BUT the fate of children would have to wait. Makes me hot just to type!!! And then to hear her report and the illogical custody recommendation!

I keep wondering... how far along was this dr? When did the info about Amanda and Grant wanting to "annihilate LA" surface? When did Grant's "extreme hatred toward Laura" surface? The Dr can write a note to all parties about payment but NOT serious red flags like these? LA's attorney said she expressed concern before that dunn business for more money by the psychologist (and someone correct me if I am wrong, it seemed as through the extra money had zip to do with real work necessary to generate the eval but more to do with Grant dragging his feet and therefore opening the door for the dr to bill one more installment). I feel as though the Dr manipulated the court and held it hostage and the court allowed such conduct! The woman had been given $10 GRAND. I truly would like to know what her margins are and an itemization of her fees. What was that extra $5000 going to accomplish - $2500 from Laura and $2500 from Grant.

I know I sound heartless with these questions but I think that psych eval was extremely relative. And hey, from my chair, that dr sounded COLD AS ICE!

Grant had reached a point where he pushed back about more payment for that psychologist. Thank heaven I have never been a party to this sort of case so my perspective is naive. I recall Amanda had been married to an attorney who specialized in family/custody law AND Amanda had been through a custody case. She had the MOST experience in these matters. more than the real parents! Granted her experience was decades ago. But I wonder if her past/experience affected/influenced Grant not paying the dunn for more money from that psychologist? Maybe they thought the court would look and tell the Dr. enough. I sure would like to know what questions the court asked that doctor that day! The reality was the family court was more concerned with that doctor getting her fee than the case moving forward imo and Laura was just following along doing the best she could and she trusted the system to work. Instead it failed her! Let's hope it has learned!

Carynative - I'm glad I'm not the only one pondering that portion of this trial! I believe it deserves it's own investigation!!

Veracity, good points. I did not watch her testimony, just read here. That is pretty sad if everything got held up just b/c of her and money.

Is it true that Grant was planning on moving back to Virgin Islands, or was he just moving to a differeent town in North Carolina? B/c if he was moving back to Virgin Islands, then he wouldn't be happy with 50/50, 80/30, or anything....he would want those kids permanently over there with him.

I thought the prosection's closing did a great job of showing why GH had all the motive/rage, etc. to be the one to actually murder her. All the backstory, custody, etc.. In case jury gets caught up in who actually killed her, they have all that circumstantial evidence pointing to him.

Hey islandmixed! You should have joined in our chat over on Sneiderman, I never saw you post over there (I watched that one too). Glad you're here!

The only reason GH didn't want Laura to have full custody was because he didn't want to have to pay child support.
He won in 2 ways, no child support and he literally obliterated Laura. Hes EVIL as all get out. Plus the fact on how many peoples lives he ruined permanently, most of all the childrens.
One day,theyll know all :stormingmad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members